• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't say anything about Golden since I didn't play it enough on Vita, but Persona 5 is one of the best games this gen.

The more hype this series gets the better

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The thread was locked, and then it was unlocked, so I guess a mod thought it's still worth keeping up. 🤷

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I think Atlus's management is just waaaaay behind the times. Until recently, they still clung to their business model of 20 years ago.

JRPG is a genre definition, just like crpg, action rpg, hack and slash, shlooter or whatever - anything else serves no purpose. What information do you get from having "jrpg = rpg from japan".
I agree. When someone says JRPG I think of turn-based combat. No one describes Dark Souls as JRPG in general when describing the game's genre.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Sega Europe : "See?! See?! IT MAKES MONEY"
Atlus :
SMTIIINocturne-Unused-Animations-48-8.gif
Pft, like Atlus gives a shit about money. They thrive on the tears of their fans.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 is now the most concurrently played game about a group of high schoolers banding together to solve a mystery that uses the color yellow as one of the primary colors in all aspects of the game including its menus on Steam

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Haven't picked this up yet, but I'd buy Nocturne and DDS in a heartbeat.

Hopefully the resounding success of P4G means we'll get those someday, hopefully soon-ish.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody could have predicted this, probably a fluke.
Atlus are right to not release their hugely popular back library on more platforms.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best news.
It's time Atlus. Do it all.

Oct 25, 2017
Soul being JRPGs is a discussion we can have, but if even Monster Hunter is a JRPG, then this genre is absolutely useless and we should stop using the name altogether. It means absolutely nothing.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the game continues to sell well on Steam; I'm loving seeing the super-high concurrent numbers for the game on Steam and the Overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Soul being JRPGs is a discussion we can have, but if even Monster Hunter is a JRPG, then this genre is absolutely useless and we should stop using the name altogether. It means absolutely nothing.
term has always been worthless, country of origin tells basically nothing and its pretty clear that games like souls and games like Persona have very little in common. Their gameplay alone is completely different genres.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I already had it on ps2 and vita but I purchased for pc to show my support for Atlus putting their stuff on pc. What should I play first, 4 or 5?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
More platforms = more money from said series

Its like AA exclusivity doesn't make sense for games like Persona and SMT.

Who would of thought, but seriously though I hope this opens Atlus up to porting their games to more platforms. There's no reason for Persona 5 and SMT 5 to be exclusive.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Incredible news. Although I'm concerned about what I'm reading here from some... Dark Souls an JRPG?

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Are those considered JRPGs?
Depends on who you ask.

wrong people say no

JRPG was always a dumb genre moniker. Even things commonly considered JRPGs can vary wildly from one another to the point where it's not really helpful.

Mar 23, 2018
Same I said regarding releasing modern FF games (I'll probably repeat it with Kingdom Hearts), Monster Hunter or the Yakuza series:

Took too long and even still they're making cash now.

Here's hoping the rest of the series + Megaten follow, too. Not so sure about Vanillaware, even if it makes sense to do it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the game continues to sell well on Steam; I'm loving seeing the super-high concurrent numbers for the game on Steam and the Overwhelmingly positive reviews.

P4G is going to be at the top of just about every PC gaming recommendation list, at least in the RPG section if not a general list, as is the case with PS2 and Vita lists.

It's never going to stop selling

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty decent for the most part. There are a few issues (stuttering in the animated scenes is the biggest one), but otherwise, it's solid.

Here's Durante's analysis:

www.ign.com

Persona 4 Golden PC Port Analysis - IGN

We take a deep dive into the the PC port of Persona 4 Golden.

Durante said:
Overall, Persona 4 Golden's Steam version is a fantastic way to play this game, with solid graphics options, arbitrary resolution and framerate support, relatively fast loading times, and good support for remappable keyboard controls. Steam features such as achievements and cloud saves are included, and even the minor online aspects of the "Golden" version were faithfully ported. Additionally, this release adds the ability to choose between English and Japanese voice acting, a very welcome addition in what is inherently a very Japanese game.

The nit-picks such as video asset quality, locked aspect ratio, and even the far-worse-than-it-could-be performance are all at least somewhat understandable from a development and prioritization perspective, and do little to detract from the quality of the port in most practical cases.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I agree. You can have an FPS horror game and an FPS RPG as well. Doesn't make it not a JRPG, it's just one of many genres and titles it fits under.
the point is you can do a 'technically it is in this genre' all day but its not actually representative of anything else in it. theres a lot more defining features and baggage that comes with it aside from fitting the title and everyone involved knows it

if someone asks for a crpg no one is going to recommend dark souls and the person asking that would just be annoyed if you did

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this is enough of a reason for ATLUS to PORT PERSONA games over to OTHER PLATFORMS like SWITCH and XBOX

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I think more Atlus ports is guaranteed but I'm not so sure about when we'll get PS2 ports. Those are going to take a lot more work than HD games (even though the Vita wasn't HD but it was close enough). I think Royal will probably be next. Persona 3 kind of needs an in-house solution direct from Atlus because the differences between FES and Portable.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, if all you want to define JRPG as is "RPG made in Japan", then we might as well ditch that genre entirely. What is the Witcher then, ERPG, PRPG? It's silly.

Souls games are not JRPGs, no matter what Wikipedia might say.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot on Vita, but it's great that it was freed from the shackles of exclusivity.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Dude, if all you want to define JRPG as is "RPG made in Japan", then we might as well ditch that genre entirely. What is the Witcher then, ERPG, PRPG? It's silly.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot on Vita, but it's great that it was freed from the shackles of exclusivity.

It's not a genre. It's why I'm in favour of saying Japanese-style RPGs as it's a design philosophy instead of an actual genre. There is no good enough definition of JRPG as a genre. There are turn based RPGs made by western developers. Divinity Original Sin is turn-based but it is very much a Western-style RPG.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

The genre is already a stupid category and should be ditched. It seems to literally only mean "does it look like anime and have levels?" now a days.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a genre. It's why I'm in favour of saying Japanese-style RPGs as it's a design philosophy instead of an actual genre.

This is basically what everyone already means anyway. The only people that don't understand this (or pretend not to) are hair splitting pedants.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Souls 3 yes, sekiro is a character action game
Ok.

So Here me out.

Pllars of Eternity is a CRPG
Dark Souls 3 is a JRPG.

I don't think I need to even explain why calling Dark Souls 3 a JRPG is absolutely useless. You know exactly what type of game Pillars of Eternity is when I say it's a CRPG. You have no idea at all what type of game Dark Souls 3 is if you call it a JRPG.

Hence why calling any RPG from Japan a JRPG is useless.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Awesome stuff, you love to see it. Hopefully this gives Atlus the much needed shove to put more Persona titles on Steam.

Ok.

So Here me out.

Pllars of Eternity is a CRPG
Dark Souls 3 is a JRPG.

I don't think I need to even explain why calling Dark Souls 3 a JRPG is absolutely useless. You know exactly what type of game Pillars of Eternity is when I say it's a CRPG. You have no idea at all what type of game Dark Souls 3 is if you call it a JRPG.

Hence why calling any RPG from Japan a JRPG is useless.
If kh3 and SMT are JRPGs commonly referred to as JRPGs than so is DS. IDC.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It's not a genre. It's why I'm in favour of saying Japanese-style RPGs as it's a design philosophy instead of an actual genre. There is no good enough definition of JRPG as a genre. There are turn based RPGs made by western developers. Divinity Original Sin is turn-based but it is very much a Western-style RPG.

Japanese style RPG's is even more obscure than JRPG. If you declare Witcher, Diablo and Baldurs Gate as Western-style RPG's the classification is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.