• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
For the second time in as many days, my wife and I have been approached by strangers at our pool who insist that we get off our phones and swim in the pool.

The first night-we swam for over 30 minutes. We got out and laid out with towels to dry off for a few minutes before heading out. I was texting and she was on her phone too. All of a sudden a stranger walks over to us and is laughing to himself. He looks at us (still wet) and is saying something along the lines of "Why would you be on your phones when you could be swimming? You come here to this area and instead you're just on your phones? What a waste!!" I couldn't believe this dude but I looked right at him and said "I don't get it." My wife said "Yeah me neither." He repeated himself and we told him - not that it was any of his business but we just swam for 30 minutes. His point was then that he couldn't believe we would be sitting at the pool and using our phones instead of *looking* at the pool. Eventually he started talking about how many nice walking paths there are nearby and left....

Tonight we walked to the pool - and while she swam I decided to walk in our hilly neighborhood-listening to my audiobook- instead for my cardio. When I was done I returned to my wife at the pool. She said she was almost done so I sat down at the table and continued to listen to my audiobook on my Airpods. Not 2 minutes later, this woman walks up to me with her bag and is talking to me. I assumed she wanted to borrow a chair or something. I paused my AirPods and apologized-asking her to repeat herself. She then said, incredously-"Why wouldn't you be swimming if you're here at the pool! Put your phone away and go swimming!" My reaction was 😒. I told her I just got back from a 30 minute walk-and my wife was almost done. The woman then said "Why are you sitting here! Just get in the pool!"

Am I missing something here? What is going on??

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I thought it was gonna be about people paranoid you're recording them. They're just hitting you with the "cell phones are bad" bullshit? Lmao

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
People simply can't mind their business. It's a primal motive that they must express. You don't understand OP, they MUST tell you or all is lost.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you and your wife stumbled upon a swingers pool and when people ask why you aren't swimming, they're really asking why you aren't in the pool fucking.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this is a community pool? When I first read the title, I was picturing random strangers hopping a fence and walking through your backyard, telling you to get in the pool.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was gonna be about people paranoid you're recording them. They're just hitting you with the "cell phones are bad" bullshit? Lmao
Nah there was barely anyone there at all. Yesterday we were laying down with our phones pointed towards the sky. Today I was just chilling out with AirPods in.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Tell them someone shit in the pool. Also, make sure to bring a Baby Ruth bar with you every time.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it OP. There's mind controlling substances in the pool water. Soon you'll be a mindless husk asking people to get off their phones and go into the pool.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I do happen to agree, it does seem silly to bring your phone to the pool, especially a public pool. it could get stolen, be soaked with water, etc.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This is so bizarre. Don't people read by the pool? Just let people be. Damn.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I've been around/used the pool where I've lived for the past eight years and have yet to have anyone give the slightest bit of a fuck whether I'm using the pool or sitting near it.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Pls get in the pool. There's no time to explain.

Shut thr fuck I said grt in the fucking p did you not hear me

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you see that person in the pool next time, be on a call next to him in the pool. Then just randomly go "yea, this swim stuff is great" and go back to your conversation.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Reminds me of bringing a Game Boy to the pool when I was a kid and having random adults complain about playing video games there. Like OP I did swim, but it seems people expected me to swim nonstop instead of taking a few breaks to relax and play some damn games.

On the other hand I don't remember people complaining when I was reading a (physical) book, so you and your wife could try that OP. Or just get in the pool.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Is it your pool or a public one? Why are there so many strangers in your garden? Also, why'd you take away precious pool time slots for being on your phone during a pandemic?

we miss so much context.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Could also ask them why they aren't in the pool. They're walking around instead of swimming.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, get in the pool. Just get in. Come on. Get in. Get in. Get in. Get in. Get in. Get in. Gietne i Geitn e Geitn i Geitne eiG ERigjeg JIEGJ Eig IERGIJ EJIGE

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Should ask them why the fuck they arent in the pool and instead wasting time talking to you.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I do happen to agree, it does seem silly to bring your phone to the pool, especially a public pool. it could get stolen, be soaked with water, etc.
Hello OP's neighbor!

Seriously though, I take my phone to the pool every time. I use it for the radio, browsing while I'm drying, or sometimes just to use while I'm hanging out at the pool having drinks and not swimming.

It's fine, it ain't going for a swim.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Tell them you have a condition and if you swim in the pool, you could easily die. If they ask what it is say "I can't tell you, HIPAA"

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
They just want to see your body all wet and glistening like this dude
5a7f86774b826_http___o.aolcdn1.jpg.1b12fc17da36b1ba14415c35f74d4f25.jpg

So come on, just...
maxresdefault.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
why not use the phone in the pool? your phone is waterproof is it not?