• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It only sucks because the media sucks, and guess what? He is going to do this to everyone.

You forgot about Bernie's faux real estate scandal and book profits? Get ready for the both sides equivocating if he's the nominee.

You think Pocahontas is behind her? Get ready for the equivocating toward Trump's bad faith concerns about college admission papers and Native American dignity and oppression.

You like Kamala? Get ready for the racist in chief to get deep into race politics to frame Kamala's tenure as prosecutor and for the media to carry water for obvious racist tones to uphold their central priority of balancing coverage.

And expect Fox News and an army of bad faith pundits and correspondents littering every hour of the news cycle reiterating those points. For CNN to air every Trump rally.

The real story on the Biden front is how easy it is STILL for Trump to manufacture and push even the flimsiest conspiracies into the mainstream and even get liberals to wring their hands over it to prove their objectivity credentials.
Bernie's real estate scandal is really confusing. It'd probably be about as unsuccessful as Bengahzi, which was also a very confusing. It's a thing I feel I need to read a lot just to understand what people are actually accusing him of, unlike Biden where I have to read a lot to understand why the simple thing that sounds incredibly bad is only a little bad.

Pocahontas is really easy for everyone to understand, but I'm not so sure people see it as that big of a problem. It's like Bill Clinton's impeachment, easy to know what happened and why it's bad, hard to know why it's so bad that it questions his ability to be a good president.

And I honestly have no idea what they'd try with Harris because she never became enough of a threat for them to try anything.

In any case, you'd have to be blind to not see how Hillary and Biden are particularly at risk of this.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
here:
Well, here's the video anyway, at about 52:00

"They were walking out to a press conference. I said, nah, ... we're not going to give you the billion dollars. They said, 'You have no authority. You're not the president.' … I said, call him. I said, I'm telling you, you're not getting the billion dollars. I said, you're not getting the billion. ... I looked at them and said, 'I'm leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money.' Well, son of a bitch. He got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time."

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm somewhat conflicted about this. It has to happen, although you have said that about a million other Trump scandals. I just worry that the optics of waiting until a Democratic presidential contender is involved to finally pull the trigger is just somehow off. That it takes a crony to be affected before the trigger is pulled. Just doesn't sit right when Trump has crossed the threshold for what would typically be impeachable umpteen times already.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
Biden was the spokesperson of a unified Western effort to remove the corrupt official and the money mentioned was loan guarantees. It's completely different than threatening to withhold strategic military aid unless you get political dirt on your election rivals. This false equivalency shit has to stop.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Biden was the spokesperson of a unified Western effort to remove the corrupt official and the money mentioned was loan guarantees. It's completely different than threatening to withhold strategic military aid unless you get political dirt on your election rivals. This false equivalency shit has to stop.
Nobody is claiming equivalence.

The issue to me is this: Is Biden such a good candidate that I think it's worth a try to inform the general electorate why they're not equivient before the November election? My answer is, no, we don't need to put ourselves in the situation at all, we have several other good candidates, better actually if I dare say, so why on Earth would I think it's a good idea to nominate Biden and hope and pray that we can convince the undecided masses in the middle why they're not the same thing?

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Finally. I don't care of the Senate don't remove him, it will damage him a lot and will drive him more insane.
It will be worse than the Mueller investigation to him.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
If Biden wanted to really have that last dare to be great moment he'd end his campaign with a statement about how he didn't want his continued candidacy to be used as cover for clear abuse of the powers of the office by a sitting President, then spend the rest of the campaign pushing back against the false narrative springing up over this.

Then we all win as he can stop talking about race relations and the economic inequality in our country where he constantly reminds us that he's mostly ok with the status quo on both fronts, and spend the next year fucking dunking on Trump as a shield for the eventual nominee.

And by that I mean go full troll on Trump. Do Uncle Joe Reacts videos following any pressers/statements Trump has to make regarding the impeachment where Biden's rolling his eyes, making those "look at this guy" hand gestures, and basically calls Trump a crooked dope on a daily basis. Even lean into The Onion shit and do interviews while driving around in a Trans-Am. The media would eat that up but with Biden out of the race it could only hurt Trump and let the Dem nominee run as the person above the toxicity of our current politics, until they get into a debate with a Trump who's been personally savaged by Biden for 8 months when they can clown on him for actually being a fucking dope who still doesn't know how to govern after nearly 4 years in the White House.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Finally. I don't care of the Senate don't remove him, it will damage him a lot and will drive him more insane.
It will be worse than the Mueller investigation to him.
This. The pressure can be a catalyst for more impeachable behavior. The Senate will be on record and judged by history.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Nobody is claiming equivalence.

The issue to me is this: Is Biden such a good candidate that I think it's worth a try to inform the general electorate why they're not equivient before the November election? My answer is, no, we don't need to put ourselves in the situation at all, we have several other good candidates, better actually if I dare say, so why on Earth would I think it's a good idea to nominate Biden and hope and pray that we can convince the undecided masses in the middle why they're not the same thing?

None of the Biden's actual scandals sticks, because to the public (and most of our grandparents) he's a loveable teddy bear.

It's also part of the reason this particular issue got the impeachment ball rolling so fast, and the Senate buckled with the whistleblower complaint.

Biden is really, really popular, and shenanigans against him are really, really unpopular. It will take real, sincere effort to defeat him as both the Dem nominee and the 2020 frontrunner.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
None of the Biden's actual scandals sticks, because to the public (and most of our grandparents) he's a loveable teddy bear.

It's also part of the reason this particular issue got the impeachment ball rolling so fast, and the Senate buckled with the whistleblower complaint.

Biden is really, really popular, and shenanigans against him are really, really unpopular. It will take real, sincere effort to defeat him as both the Dem nominee and the 2020 frontrunner.

it will take Warren winning Iowa, where she's currently leading. That leading to more primary wins is not unheard of, it's basically what happened to Hillary in 08

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully good riddance to a nasty, thick piece of fucking trash. The only leadership position he should be given is being in charge of washing dishes in a nursing home. I look forward to his accelerated physical and mental decline once he's out of office. God, he makes me fuckin mad.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pelosi was pressured by her caucus to call for impeachment.

This wasn't her plan or her desire. This was pressure.

Democratic leadership is driven by fear, not principle, which is why they are unbelievably weak.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still amazed that people think this will energize Trump's base. Here's a fucking newsflash for you. They are already and will be energized anyway. Trump is their God who will make sure they hear about 2020 every day until the election no matter what.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much fear and weaknesses, it's pathetic. So many Democrats continue to worry more about upsetting Republicans than making their own case. That's why you lose.
There is no case to be made if there literally arent enough democrat/leaning democrat voters in states. Stop acting like their is never a time for the electoral college to be considered.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm still amazed that people think this will energize Trump's base. Here's a fucking newsflash for you. They are already and will be energized anyway. Trump is their God who will make sure they hear about 2020 every day until the election no matter what.

It's not really his base which are at risk being energised, it's conservative, moderates and sympathisers who will see it as a threat to the status quo. They are why Trump won '16, not the base.

So much fear and weaknesses, it's pathetic. So many Democrats continue to worry more about upsetting Republicans than making their own case. That's why you lose.

They can't not worry about Republicans since they never have the numbers or discipline[1], Democrats being referred to as herding cats is popular for a reason, since due to how congress is structured they rely on x number of Republicans to switch/conservative Democrats or they might end up with nothing. This is why compromise is a necessary tool in politics, you can't change shit without x votes. This tactic has proven to be a bigger winner in the US than politicians who follow your style of leadership. This isn't football where brute strength and willpower win the day.

[1] Compared to the GOP who are more prone to bowing down to their masters when the dust settles in a presidential election. Look at how they bent the knee to Trump, the Never Trumpers do this, too.

Pelosi was pressured by her caucus to call for impeachment.

This wasn't her plan or her desire. This was pressure.

Democratic leadership is driven by fear, not principle, which is why they are unbelievably weak.

That's how it's supposed to work, despite it being a hierarchy organisation it's a delicate balance to hold the party factions together and any Speaker who fails to do that ends up with nothing, see Paul Ryan. Fear and principal aren't exclusive, effective leadership relies on both in politics or they end up not getting elected and you can't change the system within the government when you're forced to sit on the sidelines. If they were as weak as you're suggesting they wouldn't be at the top of the Democratic party.

Last edited:

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adorable response Anakin. Trying to stay focused on the numbers and realpolitick isn't fear or weakness. Believing this bubble of a forum is indicative of the minds of swing state voters is absolute stupidity.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Adorable response Anakin. Trying to stay focused on the numbers and realpolitick isn't fear or weakness. Believing this bubble of a forum is indicative of the minds of swing state voters is absolute stupidity.

First polling indicates that a majority of the country and independents favor impeachment.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
There's also the fact that having an energized base is incredibly important. With impeachment proceedings finally going forward and Elizabeth Warren rolling like a freight train towards becoming the nominee the base is going to be the most energized it has been since 2008. There are more of us than there are of them.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the fact that having an energized base is incredibly important. With impeachment proceedings finally going forward and Elizabeth Warren rolling like a freight train towards becoming the nominee the base is going to be the most energized it has been since 2008. There are more of us than there are of them.
True, I just wish Barr didn't exist. To have someone heading the DOJ with a sliver of impartiality, or the very least, a respect for the law would go a long way towards getting all this done without fuckery.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Only if it's possible to apply the pressure to get the right amount of votes. There is no guarantee of that, it's why everyone's writing off the senate.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
True, I just wish Barr didn't exist. To have someone heading the DOJ with a sliver of impartiality, or the very least, a respect for the law would go a long way towards getting all this done without fuckery.

You can always expect fuckery coming out of Washington DC, Barr or not. The important thing here is to rally behind a candidate that rises above it and has called it out forcefully for years. If that person is Warren (or Sanders) the GOP will get crushed next year.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I havr a question.

Whats the non impeachment plan?

Hoping the gop was just kidding about stealing elections? Same with no security for our openly hacked/meddled elections?
Trump stops contaminating all bodies of functioning government and having no responsibility to law...?

Thats the status quo? That's what racist.light people want to keep?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havr a question.

Hoping the gop was just kidding about stealing elections? Same with no security for our openly hacked/meddled elections?
Trump stops contaminating all bodies of functioning government and having no responsibility to law...?

we don't need a non impeachment plan yet, there's an impeachment plan

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Only if it's possible to apply the pressure to get the right amount of votes. There is no guarantee of that, it's why everyone's writing off the senate.

The people writing off the Senate are straight up stupid. Colorado, Arizona, Maine, Iowa, and North Carolina are all winnable races. And then there are other races where there's a punchers chance like Georgia, Texas, Alaska, and Montana. Anyone that thinks it's impossible to win 4 of these states is a fool.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I havr a question.

Beating them in the next elections. It's a risky option but there is no button we can push to make it all disappear. There are no "safe" choices here.

Impeachment or convicting Trump won't make that go away. The government is working on that as we speak, as well. There's more going on than impeaching Trump and doing nothing.

Thats the status quo? That's what racist.lite people want to keep?

Yes.

The people writing off the Senate are straight up stupid. Colorado, Arizona, Maine, Iowa, and North Carolina are all winnable races. And then there are other races where there's a punchers chance like Georgia, Texas, Alaska, and Montana. Anyone that thinks that it's impossible to win 4 of these states is a fool.

That's in an election, right now the GOP own the senate.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
we don't need a non impeachment plan yet, there's an impeachment plan

No no no. I mean the argument that says this is a win for trump. As it will scare off s that the status quo that should remain...?
Beating them in the next elections. It's a risky option but there is no button we can push to make it all disappear. There are no "safe" choices here.

Impeachment or convicting Trump won't make that go away. The government is working on that as we speak, as well. There's more going on than impeaching Trump and doing nothing.

Yes.

That's in an election, right now the GOP own the senate.

Ah so.. Hoping an open season hacked election with a corrupt president joking about russia hackong us and getting other countries to dig up dirt on political foes is the plan.

Got it. So Georgia didnt happen in this alternative time line then? And things wont get more brazen and desperate.

None of that checks out as reality.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Ah so.. Hoping an open season hacked election with a corrupt president joking about russia hackong us and getting other countries to dig up dirt on political foes is the plan.

Got it. So Georgia didnt happen in this alternative time line then? And things wont get more brazen and desperate.

None of that checks out as reality.

You don't believe various government agencies are working on making sure this doesn't happen again after US got hacked by Russia in '16? That the only path to ending that is impeaching Trump? How would an impeachment stop all that? It wouldn't even end with Trump not being president as is since the Republicans control the senate.

Of course they'll get more brazen and desperate, I'm saying there are people in the government who are trying to make sure it won't happen again. The alphabet agencies and other government organisations who fall under that jurisdiction didn't shut down once Trump became president.

Here's some of what they're doing:

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Part of me is happy that This is happening, but I think that trump and his administration play the media better than any democrat in office ever could. They will take this whole thing and turn it on it's head with basic terms and lies. Media is horrible at calling that shit out.

Trump obviously wants to plant negative Biden stories out there and this is what he is getting now.

The fact that republican congressmen are going on tv and saying that "we will talk with you after all the materials are released, just wait and see" makes me think that they are all on the same page and have been given their marching orders just like all of their congressional hearings.

With that being said, about damn time pelosi.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Part of me is happy that This is happening, but I think that trump and his administration play the media better than any democrat in office ever could. They will take this whole thing and turn it on it's head with basic terms and lies. Media is horrible at calling that shit out.
This is not exactly true, I made a post about this issue a few days ago but it's not so much that Trump is amazing at manipulating the media, it's that the folks who own and run these media corporations actively want to help him. They also want your views so they'll engage in this WWE style heel role with Trump so you watch their programing but make no mistake about it, they're going to do whatever they can to get him re-elected in 2020.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Literally never. They estimate probabilistic forecasts based on available data. They gave Donald Trump around a 25% chance of winning; him winning does not mean they were wrong.
And obviously the data they used and/or their analysis methods were bad, or it would have correctly reflected the outcome.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I havr a question.

Impeachment does what, exactly, to prevent this?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Also... quick question. Why does having impeachment hearings impact democrats or republicans? It is not like there is a government shutdown during an impeachment inquiry/ trial.... all I hear is political risk this and political risk that.

Trump tweeted something about Democrats not wanting health care costs to go down and gun control, but they literally sent bills to the senate months ago. Why don't they plaster Moscow Mitch's unwillingness to do his job?

I hate this narrative shit. Also the republicans are saying "why couldn't they have waited for trump to release the transcript or whistleblower info before the impeachment". What the fuck?? They were literally blocking and stonewalling the info until they knew that the impeachment was coming.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
The "I think I'd want to hear it", "The FBI director is WRONG" interview in June was a huge tell with this recent development. You just knew he was going to try shit, but turns out he was actively trying to extort at least one country ALREADY.