• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
they just need to put everything they own up in HD and then everything will be great

pffttttt

theyre just going to have to start licensing out all of their shows again to stop the bleeding. i think the service will stick around though.

give us the first 12 seasons of Law and Order, you cowards

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
Eventually content providers like Comcast will soon realize it's more cost-effective to just license their IP to the bigger platforms rather than take on the overhead that is managing/curating an attractive standalone streaming service.

That would be the smart thing to do.

What's even more valuable for them is all the consumer data they are getting from having their own streaming service. They know who you are, your viewing habits, etc... They can use that to price ads and put a price on content.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Peacock's original network-styled sitcoms have been legitimately good and that's a bit of a void with the streamers at the moment- Netflix throws a couple out a year and Hulu just tried with HIMYF, but none of them have really hit. Wish they would go all in there but I don't know if you can just be the sitcom and soccer streamer though. It also doesn't help that they didn't go all in like Warner/Disney did and still have content licensed out.

They had Brave New World and squandered that with an adaptation that had nothing to say.

God, that adaptation... My favorite part was when they kept teasing the big nude scene for Findlay like it was the shark in Jaws.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
"We don't need to win, we just have to beat/weaken Netflix"

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I fully believe that had Steve Jobs not died, he would have been able to wrangle all the content providers together under a central Apple streaming network. But instead we now have cable 2.0. Actually it's worse than cable as the distribution companies are now making their own content and their own streaming plans. It's like a bunch of medieval nation states that are all warring with each other.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Why is it even named Peacock? Sounds dumb.
en.wikipedia.org

NBC logo - Wikipedia

20201202-212305-fb4019b57079d4ed8eb05cadad729100.png.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want them to offer a free trial already so I can watch this:

It's literally the only show from the service I wanna watch, then I'm out lol

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I get it for free and I'm genuinely unsure if I've watched it besides some Universal Monster movies last October and the Psych movies/series. I kinda over did it on the NBC sitcom binges and re-binges over the years so I haven't gone back for them, and they don't seem to have as good a movie selection as the other streamers I have.

Oct 31, 2017
Comcast can try for another couple of years, but Peacock to me seems to be better as a niche service for Xfinity users as a value add. It won't compete with the big players unless they buy another major content player like SPE or ViacomCBS.

The Office can't single handedly carry a streaming service?

Comcast would be better served getting 100MM per year for that show like Sony is getting for Seinfeld from Netflix.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Karma is a bitch, ain't it? So many cancelled TV shows replaced with reality TV garbage. Still trying to survive off old classics, but there's only a few honestly.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Not surprising honestly, Peacock is probably the worst out of all the big name streaming services. No real marketing and not enough big exclusives to make itself worthwhile.

Paramount+ may be a laughing stock, but at least that's gotten some marketing, has quite a few really good exclusives and also has a diverse range of content. I can actually see that one being much more sustainable

Ironically I think Paramount + will grow the most this year due to Yellowstone and 1883.
Yellowstone is currently a Peacock exclusive actually...

That being said, I think Paramount will grow a lot due to 1883, Halo and other exclusives they have in the works...

Netflix lost four billion a year for several years.
Yeah, but Netflix was also growing at a pretty decent rate and was the first in an untapped market. Peacock is to little, to late.

Nov 2, 2017
HNL
Don't care about the fate of Peacock, but I care DEEPLY about the fate of Girls5Eva. Watch it people!

Oct 31, 2017
Netflix lost four billion a year for several years.

Did it? Show me.

Counter:

Netflix Net Income 2010-2023 | NFLX

Netflix annual/quarterly net income history and growth rate from 2010 to 2023. Net income can be defined as company's net profit or loss after all revenues, income items, and expenses have been accounted for. <ul style='margin-top:10px;'> <li>Netflix net income for the quarter...

Netflix Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2020$2,761
2019$1,867
2018$1,211
2017$559
2016$187
2015$123
2014$267
2013$112
2012$17
2011$226
2010$161
2009$116
2008$83
2007$67
2006$49
2005$42

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
In canada at least, the office ended up staying on netflix too. So peacock has (almost) literally no reason to exist.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I doubt much, there's very little content on UK Peacock that Sky didn't have the rights to anyway. Content spend must be in the single digit millions pa.

True, but then there is always the opportunity to try and 'goose the numbers' by folding the entirety of the Sky numbers into the larger global numbers, "We now have 70 million plus global users!".

Note users rather than paying subs.

Comcast can try for another couple of years, but Peacock to me seems to be better as a niche service for Xfinity users as a value add. It won't compete with the big players unless they buy another major content player like SPE or ViacomCBS.

If I had Comcast's ear this is what I would tell them, at this point they are just throwing good money after bad because they have to be seen (by Wall Street) to be in the streaming game and now that they are doing badly they have to be seen to be trying to fix it.

And once again I have to point out the profound idiocy of naming your premium streaming platform after the FREE service you've been providing to people for literally decades. Madness.

Don't care about the fate of Peacock, but I care DEEPLY about the fate of Girls5Eva. Watch it people!

I second this emotion.

damn cant believe seeso 2.0 didnt take off

That is a deep pull but I agree. They did jump into this whole streaming game with the same half hearted energy that they launched Seeso with. Looking back Seeso was essentially a paid Youtube comedy channel that was supposed to be all things to all people within Comcast. Bizarre.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. My internet provider kept trying to give it to me for free, but there's nothing on it I want to see. And I didn't want to forget to cancel and then start getting charged. So just noped.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Why cant these companies pay people like me to see the fucking obvious before they lose billions. Aint nobody interested in peacock. Stupid name, over saturation in the market and those are just the start of their problems.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

They also lost $467 million on Peacock this quarter:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

NBCU Earnings Rise, But Peacock Loss Hits $467M and Paid Subs Stall at 13M

Parent company Comcast says the broadband subscriber base at its cable systems business was also "flat" amid a slowdown in growth momentum across the cable industry.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
They probably thought the Tiger King thing would be a huge hit, but unfortunately for them, everyone appears to have extreme disdain for anything Tiger King related besides Season 1 of the Netflix doc.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm pretty sure I've used Tubi and Crackle more than Peacock since the last time I posted in here. I'm also, like, genuinely unsure what original stuff Peacock has besides the Psych movies and that 30 Rock special.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of use out of Peacock for the Premiere League, other than that it's basically Law & Order Jukebox.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I got an offer through mail from them for like 6 months of Peacock premium at 99 cents a month. Well I obviously tried to sub, but turns out they accept no credit cards from outside the us and PayPal also doesn't work if it is not in the us. So, your loss Comcast.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I though about checking Peacock out for a month, but then I remembered how Comcast fucked me over last month for exceeded my home data cap on my Xfinity internet - so I decided to cancel Xfinity when my contract is up and now refuse to give Comcast any more money than I have to.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
This thread reminded me I do want to watch the 3rd Psych movie. But that's literally the only thing I want to watch on the service...

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forget that I even have peacock since it's included in our internet. What's on there besides the office? Makes sense, their content presence is nonexistent.