• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3856

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They knowingly lied about the game before release. Which is a fact no matter how people want to twist it saying anything else is a flat out lie and being dishonest. Murray and every single person who works there and didn't speak out before release are horrible people.

Imagine still believing this after over two years of free content updates. It was a pretty silly hot take at launch but at this point it's some next-level shit. I mean, you'd have a point if they had taken the money and ran but they did pretty much the opposite of that. So what the hell are you going on about here?

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Imagine still believing this after over two years of free content updates. It was a pretty silly hot take at launch but at this point it's some next-level shit. I mean, you'd have a point if they had taken the money and ran but they did pretty much the opposite of that. So what the hell are you going on about here?
Tbh, they only did that because of the backlash, if not, the game would still be in the same terrible state.

Deleted member 3856

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, they only did that because of the backlash, if not, the game would still be in the same terrible state.

That's just baseless speculation on your part, though. You're free to believe what you want but personally I see a dev that cares about the quality of their game. I don't think they were happy with the state it released in either.

Sendou

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only learned you can't post reviews on Steam if you played the game through family share (this wasn't always like this as far as I can tell). Anyway I have been playing Pyre and don't want to disregard the review completely so I'll post it here:

"To start this off I was a huge fan of both Bastion and Transistor. Sadly in my mind this game shares little with those two. The core gameplay just plain isn't fun. Either there is an obvious way to cheese an easy win in a match or you experience a frustrating loss. There rarely is an in between. I'm sure there is more I could have learned about the system but nothing made me want to do so to be honest. To their credit the system is very unique but sometimes something hasn't been done in the past for a reason.

The story is another aspect that was presented as a big selling point. It was hard to get engaged with it. I really enjoy reading fantasy but what we have here is nothing but mediocre in my opinion. Actually no good reason is presented for the plot's major goal. Lore isn't interesting in the slightest so I found myself skipping any extra reading on it after a while. The characters at best are decently interesting but more commonly just shallow.

To give credit to this game it's absolutely beautiful as you would expect from a Supergiant Games' title. Soundtrack also lives up the high expectations set by previous games. Sadly these two upsides don't make for the shortcomings of the title in my opinion. I didn't quite reach the ending and I might come back to finish it yet. Then again it didn't feel like there was much else left to see. The game just is very repetitive and it feels like you saw its best moments in the first hour of gameplay."

How did others feel about Pyre? Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed after Bastion and Transistor. Latter I even 100%'d.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
vo1cIPP.jpg

umm i'm strongly considering dropping this game lol, it's no fucking fun

i love these characters but this is so damn tedious and i tried playing it on a keyboard and omg what's this god forsaken control scheme -_-

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
vo1cIPP.jpg

i love these characters but this is so damn tedious and i tried playing it on a keyboard and omg what's this god forsaken control scheme -_-
Such a shame considering how nice it looks.

Also, today is Falcom's shareholder meeting where they usually reveal some new games.

But we might not see anything until the 20th when they're gonna reveal whatever they're teasing.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So Mega Man Legacy works on my gaming desktop fine after the new update but does not work at all on my gaming laptop lmao.

Deleting option.sav or the save files dont matter.

I guess I could play it but there's another issue, apparently the latest update killed achievements...ugh.

I'll just wait till they fix it or whatever play it later.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So Mega Man Legacy works on my gaming desktop fine after the new update but does not work at all on my gaming laptop lmao.

Deleting option.sav or the save files dont matter.

I guess I could play it but there's another issue, apparently the latest update killed achievements...ugh.

I'll just wait till they fix it or whatever play it later.
Weeeellll you could try extracting the ROMs of the games and just running them through an emulator >o>

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
kind of considering starting out tits 2 idk

why are all videogames like 60 hours long -.-

Such a shame considering how nice it looks.
yeah and the writing is also pretty good but it's just no fun to play, it's so much busywork with so little payoff

it's a double shame cos the concept i think is actually kind of brilliant, the execution is extremely botched tho

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Katamari Damacy is still the best in Reroll form tho it's one of those annoying games with a long intro before you can get to the graphics option and on a 4K tv it was like a 10th of the screen lol.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of long ass games, give me something ~10hrs long with a nicely paced story and I'll be happy. I've ended up enjoying indie games a lot more this year cos they aren't 5 million hrs long.

Anything out there similar to firewatch, gotta pick up some stuff in the sale :)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm sick of long ass games, give me something ~10hrs long with a nicely paced story and I'll be happy. I've ended up enjoying indie games a lot more this year cos they aren't 5 million hrs long.

Anything out there similar to firewatch, gotta pick up some stuff in the sale :)
Darksiders 3
Iconoclasts

...just to name a few @_@

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017

I assume you have played the more well-known walking sims? Gone Home, Stanley Parable (and the Beginner's Guide), etc. Besides, I second Edith Finch.

Looking at my library, in more general recommendations of narrative-focused indie games, Iconoclasts and Owlboy are pretty cool platformer-almost-metroidvania games, Oneshot is a great adventure game in RPG maker style and Lisa is a great (but, uh... intense) short RPG

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just finishing up dragon quest and ac origins so something short would be great, think I'll pick up Edith finch in the sale :)

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
vo1cIPP.jpg

Thanks posting about this game. I wanted to check it out last holiday sale a few weeks back but the reviews sort of said what you are saying. The sad thing is most really wanted to like it.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Really surprised by the so-so reviews for Below and the seemingly low sales on Steam. It's not a game or genre I'm personally interested in but I thought for sure it'd review in the 90+ region and sell extremely well, especially after the long development. 2018's biggest indie disappointment?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017

Guess this just confirms Falcom doesn't really care too much about poor quality releases. So can't wait for Ys 9 with a poor translation and crappy PC port!

Andres

Oct 25, 2017

At least PC versions of their games are always part of the plan when it comes to NA releases.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
thwuIXb.jpg

man i forgotten how much fun these scenes in ladykiller in a bind were

one thing i really like about this game is how transparent managing the various currencies and character relationships is. between dialogue lines straight up letting you know the result of your actions and being able to rewind your choices it really lets you game it in the direction you want and i think this actually kind of works really well cos you get to experiment a little bit and poke at the answers and see which one you like and serves your purposes best, which is kind of really on topic for the game. it like lets you have fun with the story instead of blindly having to figure it out and that just makes it really fun to be the most vicious asshole possible only to then letting yourself be reduced to a pathetic pain addicted thirsty blob

i started over cos i hadn't gotten too far last time (i think only day 3?), but already kicking myself for dropping it back then. also had forgotten how good the music can be. it gets a little mall elevator at times but during the 'night' scenes, specially with beauty, i just adore that sinister piano of sexiness...

Thanks posting about this game. I wanted to check it out last holiday sale a few weeks back but the reviews sort of said what you are saying. The sad thing is most really wanted to like it.
yea i'm pretty bummed, i knew it wasn't a good game but i was hoping accessing the fun content (basically goofing around with akko and the gang) would be easier, but everything i've done so far has demanded a fair amount of tedium with little to indicate it'll get much better.

like an early main quest in the game was like hey let's repair the clock that makes time go groundhog day, so let's go find sucy. you look for her (and wait if she's not accesible at this point in time), talk to her, she wants a special mushroom, so you go to the cafeteria to find someone with the shroom. she says she'll give me a spare she has if she manages to finish her meal, which is giving her trouble cos it's too bitter or something. so you go look for jasminka so she teaches you culinary magic to make her food less bitter. but now it turns out you need to buy a potion to use magic cos akko is a dumb dumb so you run to the store to get one, and these guys tell you you need magic gems, so you clear a dungeon once, come back and buy the potion. you then give this to the mushroom girl, she gives you the shroom, you take it to sucy and that just opens up a new quest cos it turns out she didn't know how to fix it after all. and i got this quest after finishing another likewise unsuccessful quest from amanda

and since you have a quest marker for everything it's not like you have to do much thinking besides mapping out your path to the next marker

what sucks is that i kind of chuckled at the end of the quest cos sucy is awesome and her lines are pretty funny but it sucks to have to go through half an hour of simply running around from place to place

i'll play it a little bit more but i'm likely to drop it fairly early, there's little about it that really merits playing it

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Gris is gorgeous and reminds me what a bummer El Shaddai never got a pc port given how bad the aliasing was. Art style would shine at higher resolutions.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I voted with my wallet and didn't buy Ys 8 on PC or Switch (though I did get the PS4 version at launch before the world knew how badly botched that translation was). I think I own every other Ys game released on Steam, otherwise.

NISA will still get Ys 9, because Falcom doesn't give a ratass about the rest of the world but Japan.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I have YS 8 because there was an 18 dollar price error at launch which was hard to pass up. Plays perfectly at 4K and no longer has broken lighting the last time I went back to it post patches so not excuse not to finish it after I beat Gris.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
The thing is, Falcom probably look at the numbers of units sold between PS4 and Switch and consider it a profitable venture, despite Ys VIII PC probably selling less on PC than Cold Steel releases combined.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I'm not confident Kondo is actually caring about the state of the Ys VIII PC port despite the news of its less than stellar localisation and general drama thereof was being picked up by Japanese media.

Edit: Case in point:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.