• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
I don't necessarily believe it is an editorial change at RPS. John Walker was showing his lack of understanding of how key sellers work.

A lot of the annoucements for EGS exvlusives came via Dominic Tarsen, whose attitude to the whole Pheonic Point reveal was yay free DLC for a year.

I rhink this may be more down to Alice being a lot less gung-ho on the EGS exclusivity deals as the rest of the staff.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If no-one else wants to do that Valve cut thread, I'll do it.

I'm going to try and do some of my own calculations though, so it might take me a while. I'd like to use the Steam API to get a larger sample but that's outside of my knowledge and I'm not learning that right now for this.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned the whole thing to a friend, and he apparently didn't know that console manufacturers take 30%. I did educate him, at least.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily believe it is an editorial change at RPS. John Walker was showing his lack of understanding of how key sellers work.

A lot of the annoucements for EGS exvlusives came via Dominic Tarsen, whose attitude to the whole Pheonic Point reveal was yay free DLC for a year.

I rhink this may be more down to Alice being a lot less gung-ho on the EGS exclusivity deals as the rest of the staff.
Yeah I really think there is no unified RPS stance here, it greatly depends on who's writing the article at the time.

John Walker is leaving soon though so who knows what direction the site in general will go without him.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it that you want to compute? Make a list, and maybe people can help. No promise though. It depends on the kind of data which you need.
Throw in a random list of games , grab the total number of reviews for each game and the number of reviews from copies sold on Steam. Spit out the values in a big table. Steam provide an "other" category as well, but that's just Total-Steam, so not needed. From there, I was planning to calculate an appoximate for the Valve cut (since they take 0% from games in the "other" category and it's unlikely the review behaviour of the two groups would be significantly different). It's far from accurate, but it would improve on the numbers Lashman provided.

If that could be repeated specifically for the top 100 games on Steam, that would be great too. Valve do seem to provide something for this, since protondb seem to use it for their top list: https://www.protondb.com/

If anyone could help with that, that would be great.

Last edited:

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
No disrespect to anyone that likes those games but I am surprised that BL3 seems so hotly anticipated. All I remember from 2 was cringeworthy writing and really bad feeling gunplay.

On top of all that I would hesitate to support Pitchford too. EGS can have it as far as I'm concerned

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Heh. It looks Borderlands review bomb is split between positive and negatives. that's interesting.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I played a lot of BL1, BL2 and PS, and even if I didnt care about Epic's bullshit I wouldnt buy it. Why? Because all my friends are on Steam and playing BL with randoms is a terrible idea. Last time I played with randoms we were fighting a raid boss, I took one for the team so we could kill it and instead of saving me in the "Fight for your life" phase they were going to steal the loot and let me die. Before that happened I closed the session. Never again.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Throw in a random list of games , grab the total number of reviews for each game and the number of reviews from copies sold on Steam. Spit out the values in a big table. Steam provide an "other" category as well, but that's just Total-Steam, so not needed. From there, I was planning to calculate an appoximate for the Valve cut (since they take 0% from games in the "other" category and it's unlikely the review behaviour of the two groups would be significantly different). It's far from accurate, but it would improve on the numbers Lashman provided.

If that could be repeated specifically for the top 100 games on Steam, that would be great too. Valve do seem to provide something for this, since protondb seem to use it for their top list: https://www.protondb.com/

If anyone could help with that, that would be great.

Do you want to do that with English language only, or for all languages simultaneously?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
All languages would give a better approximation.

It should be pretty easy to automate that for the top 100. For Garry's Mod, info is available with these two calls:

7rXMPxZ.png

gquvuqu.png

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
So, 2K buys Steam audience's patience with a freebie of BL1 GOTY? Nice, I need more godawful remasters of godawful games.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017

John Walker is leaving RPS in 2 weeks, although he also had harsh words to say about Epic's approach in the past, so it's hard to tell where he ends up any given day of the week. Dominic is only a freelance writer, not a RPS full-time staffer and he's been one of the most outspoken supporters of Epic's approach (both in his articles and comments on Twitter).

Alice's previous coverage of the subject was fairly different too; she appeared to be somewhat dismissive of the concerns about exclusivity deals and she even labeled the spyware talk as a "conspiracy theory", while now she's clearing pointing flaws in PR speak. Alec Meer - who is also leaving RPS this month - had a very fair and reasonable approach about the subject when he discussed it in this piece. It should be said Graham Smith is the current RPS editor in chief and afaik he gives his writers complete freedom to write what they want and express their personal opinions on any given topic.

So no, this is not a RPS-wide editorial stance change because that's not how they work; it's an individual stance change, which is what I was talking about and something to be appreciated. The press works much better when it's a collection of individual voices with unique POVs, rather than when you have publications operating in echo chambers, following strict editorial guidelines about what they publish and acting as megaphones for corporations to spread PR statements.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really think there is no unified RPS stance here, it greatly depends on who's writing the article at the time.

John Walker is leaving soon though so who knows what direction the site in general will go without him.
People won't shit talk the reviews unless Alec someone takers up John's role as 'the critic'
As for their editorial stance, I don't see it changing much but theyve never or rarely been of one hivemind about things, not kind Keiran was around

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Mike Rose is a cool dude. His input is usually fairly valuable because he tends to talk about how the game industry is raher than how it should be in a perfect gamedev utopia like some others.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
John Walker is leaving RPS in 2 weeks, although he also had harsh words to say about Epic's approach in the past, so it's hard to tell where he ends up any given day of the week. Dominic is only a freelance writer, not a RPS full-time staffer and he's been one of the most outspoken supporters of Epic's approach (both in his articles and comments on Twitter).

Alice's previous coverage of the subject was fairly different too; she appeared to be somewhat dismissive of the concerns about exclusivity deals and she even labeled the spyware talk as a "conspiracy theory", while now she's clearing pointing flaws in PR speak. Alec Meer - who is also leaving RPS this month - had a very fair and reasonable approach about the subject when he discussed it in this piece. It should be said Graham Smith is the current RPS editor in chief and afaik he gives his writers complete freedom to write what they want and express their personal opinions on any given topic.

So no, this is not a RPS-wide editorial stance change because that's not how they work; it's an individual stance change, which is what I was talking about and something to be appreciated. The press works much better when it's a collection of individual voices with unique POVs, rather than when you have publications operating in echo chambers, following strict editorial guidelines about what they publish and acting as megaphones for corporations to spread PR statements.

I haven't kept up on the incoming and outgoing members of RPS. But for a long time it was my go too site for all things PC.

John walker was usually a good, if slightly angry at times, read. But when he was good (Molyneux interview) he was great. But the whole Hollow Knight thing soured me on him, he seemed to almost have a vendetta against it.

I do agree that i would much rather have a site that lets uts contributora have their own voice and hopefully this is a return to this.

As a side note, i am treating this exclusivity like the old days when i knew i may have to wait a year for console hand me downs. Not as if i havent got some where in the region of 1200 games in my backlog. In fact thinking of going old school and playing some of the Old School RpGs.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it the people at RPS (including those in the "contributor team") didn't really change their tone after the EGS came to life. People critical of steam kept being critical with a couple poorly written pieces thrown into the mix. On the other hand, PC Gamer stance has been really suspicious. Not North Korean news host suspicious, but it's getting there.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Epic definitely paid a shitload to keep BL3 exclusive, probably north of 15 million because it'll lose a fuckton of potential sales in these 6 months.

I'm afraid if things continue in the same manner RDR2 will end up being EGS exclusive as well.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Excusing transphobic rhetoric, inflammatory false equivalences
you know what else is a bad look? Transphobic games

We had this discussion already, the word doesn't have negative connotations in Asia (and most of the world, truth be told).
Should Chinese developers know every single thing about American culture when trying to sell a product worldwide?

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Epic definitely paid a shitload to keep BL3 exclusive, probably north of 15 million because it'll lose a fuckton of potential sales in these 6 months.

I'm afraid if things continue in the same manner RDR2 will end up being EGS exclusive as well.

Based on the 6 month exclusivity versus the usual 12 month, i could imagine them getting maybe a months exclusivity 2 tops. I think RDR2 is a much bigger game than BL3.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Based on the 6 month exclusivity versus the usual 12 month, i could imagine them getting maybe a months exclusivity 2 tops. I think RDR2 is a much bigger game than BL3.
Actually, I can see Sweeney throwing 30-40 million at Zelnick to get a full 12 months exclusivity. It's insane, but I can see them fully embracing "mad lad" attitude.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up on the incoming and outgoing members of RPS. But for a long time it was my go too site for all things PC.

John walker was usually a good, if slightly angry at times, read. But when he was good (Molyneux interview) he was great. But the whole Hollow Knight thing soured me on him, he seemed to almost have a vendetta against it.

I do agree that i would much rather have a site that lets uts contributora have their own voice and hopefully this is a return to this.

As a side note, i am treating this exclusivity like the old days when i knew i may have to wait a year for console hand me downs. Not as if i havent got some where in the region of 1200 games in my backlog. In fact thinking of going old school and playing some of the Old School RpGs.

Those issues started to arise some time after Kieron Gillen stepped down and then Jim Rossignol gradually moved away to focus on his game developer career. RPS used to be a balancing act of 4-5 different voices and this produced some amazing results. But once they left, Walker essentially became the loudest person in the room and RPS started revolving more and more around him. There have always been great contributors such as Cara Ellison, Robert Florence and so on, but contributors come and go. Meanwhile Walker was the main driving force for RPS for a good part of its existence, with all that entails.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
RPS has posted the PR on EGS exclusivity for Borderlands 3.

It is quite dismissive of some of the PR behind the announcement. Pulling apart some of the BS that comes out of these statements.

One of there better ones in recent memory.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/04/03/borderlands-3-release-date-announced/
just shows how Alice O'Connor is the best RPS writer. Wonder when she'll get poached by PC Gamer or other outlets. It seems be the great RPS tradition for anyone with actual talent.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I can see Sweeney throwing 30-40 million at Zelnick to get a full 12 months exclusivity. It's insane, but I can see them fully embracing "mad lad" attitude.
30-40 million is nothing for Rockstar. Heck, that amount is probably what they paid for Metro Exodus.

You guys really are missing how costly game development is. We are talking about projects that consist of 100+ (and that is for "medium"!)people for 3+ years. And they are still qualified workers, even if they are not paid as much as they would be in other IT fields with the same experience.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
We had this discussion already, the word doesn't have negative connotations in Asia (and most of the world, truth be told).
Should Chinese developers know every single thing about American culture when trying to sell a product worldwide?

As I see it if you want to sell a product worldwide you should know the meaning of words in the markets you want to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.