• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatched both seasons couple months ago. Would be stoked to see them all work together again.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Giving shows a second chance plus streaming is a thing now.

I will say, to the other persons point, I can't think of a recent comedy revival of a GREAT comedy show that has even been decent.

Arrested Development - crap
Mr Show - boring
Trailer Park Boys - it was pretty bad by season 7 anyway, but the Netflix revival just wrecked it
Roseanne - lol
Fuller House - well...let's be fair, that wasn't a great comedy to begin with
Saved By the Bell - actually doesn't seem completely horrible, but it's not a great comedy either

There are more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm really struggling to think of one revival of a great comedy show, where the revival was as good, or even just not mediocre to bad.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, to the other persons point, I can't think of a recent comedy revival of a GREAT comedy show that has even been decent.

Mr Show - boring
Trailer Park Boys - it was pretty bad by season 7 anyway, but the Netflix revival just wrecked it
Roseanne - lol
Saved By the Bell - actually doesn't seem completely horrible, but it's not a great comedy either

There are more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm really struggling to think of one revival of a great comedy show, where the revival was as good, or even just not mediocre to bad.
Not originally a show, but the Wet Hot American Summer revival show was real fun.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap this is awesome!

I was just watching this on Hulu too. Absolutely hilarious.

Hope this comes to be!

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Oh my god. No one understand how much I love this news. Party Down is THE true hidden comedy gem of the past couple decades and I was really bummed when it got cancelled.

Hope Jane Lynch comes back too. She made the show (1st season at least) as much as anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
I know the show is about entertainers who don't make it, and therefore have to work in the catering industry...

It would be beyond depressing if the gang are in the exact same place more than a decade later.

The show ended with the characters potentially on a positive trajectory.
Yep. Honestly, that can be true for a lot of people. But still.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Cautiously optimistic, Party Down was an amazing show and I'd love to see more, as long as it's not an Arrested Development S4-S5 kind of snoozefest.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

Mr Show - boring
Roseanne - lol

Not a comedy, but xfiles had two okay ish seasons. I️ can't think of anything that's come back that I️ really enjoyed

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 is one of my favorite seasons of a comedy show ever. I hope turns out great, but other revivals have ended up being pretty mediocre. Still, if they can get the whole cast back it might be great.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty much done being excited for long belated sequels/follow ups to great comedies.

Ya ain't trickin' me anymore.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not a comedy, but xfiles had two okay ish seasons. I️ can't think of anything that's come back that I️ really enjoyed

Okay-ish is probably as good of a review as I'd give those two reboot seasons too. Definitely not anywhere near the level of the first 5 seasons of X-files, but maybe Season 6-7 quality. Maybe.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I know the show is about entertainers who don't make it, and therefore have to work in the catering industry...

It would be beyond depressing if the gang are in the exact same place more than a decade later.

The show ended with the characters potentially on a positive trajectory.

Well, yeah. There's no show if they are all successful.

May 25, 2019
London

Mr Show - boring
Roseanne - lol

I feel like this is a revival that can work because the format was so malleable. Think of an event, throw them at it. They already had episodes with fill-in caterers, you could replace some of the cast and it would be fine.

Also we only got two seasons, people want more of it...can't say the same for some of the other revivals.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Putting aside Roseanne's issues, that revival in particular has been great. I wouldn't put it in the category as a disappointment at all.

The Mr. Show revival, I think they would have nailed it had they done another season. I also enjoyed the MST3K revival. They aren't all bad.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Mr Show - boring
Roseanne - lol

MST3K, DuckTales, Animaniacs are three that I think did a decent job.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Season 4 of Arrested Development was great. Some of the best bits in the whole series are in it. I have only watched half of season 5 as they decided to split it in two. I enjoyed that first half, but clearly not enough to see where it ends. Someday I'll finish it.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like this is a revival that can work because the format was so malleable. Think of an event, throw them at it. They already had episodes with fill-in caterers, you could replace some of the cast and it would be fine.

Also we only got two seasons, people want more of it...can't say the same for some of the other revivals.

I don't think it's as malleable, or has the kind of talent involved that the Mr Show reboot had. And again, I don't think that reboot was bad, it was just boring and uninspired. And that's more what I'm worried about with this kind of reboot. These guys aren't hungry anymore. They don't need this to be a success, and that can lead to some phoned in scripts and performances, like we saw with Arrested Development and so many other shows.

Oct 25, 2017
The Mr Show revival wasn't up to the quality of the original series, but it was far from a trainwreck, and the call-my-missing-child-a-c-word sketch made the whole thing worth it.

I'm skeptical about the prospects here because Party Down had a crucial emotional through line beneath the bleak snark, and picking up that thread is going to be a lot harder than just recapturing the humour.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The Mr Show revival wasn't up to the quality of the original series, but it was far from a trainwreck, and the call-my-missing-child-a-c-word sketch made the whole thing worth it.

I'm skeptical about the prospects here because Party Down had a crucial emotional through line beneath the bleak snark, and picking up that thread is going to be a lot harder than just recapturing the humour.
Yeah, I kinda agree. I feel like it's too late to pick up the thread.

Frankly it was even a hard thread to keep going. Kinda like Bojack, where the whole point of the show is that it's about has-beens and never-was, so they're always trying to get their big break, but like... you can only tease that for so long or it gets excessive.

It was a great two seasons, and could've gone on for more, but at this point I'd rather they put their efforts to something new. The writers and actors have plenty of talent: seems to me they could do better without the constraints of working around the reboot paradigm. Needing to get the key cast members on board, figuring out how to pick up the plot from where it was left off, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. Loved the show and has a bit of a crush on Adam Scott. Also, I can't see Martin Star in anything and not think he's Roman.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
NbdG3.gif

Please be good

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

Mr Show - boring
Roseanne - lol

The Conner's is actually a pretty good show and so is the new Saved by the Bell.

Another comedy revival that I thought did well was Will & Grace.

Oct 25, 2017
Two episodes in and really enjoying it. A bit dark and vulgar. Seems pretty nihilist, too, but goofy enough that it doesn't make you uncomfortable. My early impression at least. The second episode was actually a bit jarring in that it was young conservatives and yet they generally weren't the butt of the joke? Ken Marino carried it.

I don't understand how this show with this cast even ever existed, but I guess none of them have ever made it big or anything. I feel like a few of them got bigger network gigs as a result of this show, though?

Love the people involved behind the scenes, too. Fred Savage and Paul Rudd!

I will say, Starz is an add-on for Crave like it is for Prime, and you probably actually get a bit of a discount with Prime, so I'd still go that route. Crave is a miserable UI to deal with and piss poor video quality as well, in my experience. I'm still very on the fence about cancelling Crave, since I only have it for the HBO shows, which basically amounts to Last Week Tonight, right now for me.
The trial is a full month. Insane. So I'll definitely be able to finish it.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Two episodes in and really enjoying it. A bit dark and vulgar. Seems pretty nihilist, too, but goofy enough that it doesn't make you uncomfortable. My early impression at least. The second episode was actually a bit jarring in that it was young conservatives and yet they generally weren't the butt of the joke? Ken Marino carried it.

I don't understand how this show with this cast even ever existed, but I guess none of them have ever made it big or anything. I feel like a few of them got bigger network gigs as a result of this show, though?

Love the people involved behind the scenes, too. Fred Savage and Paul Rudd!

The trial is a full month. Insane. So I'll definitely be able to finish it.

It took me a few episodes to realize there's mid-credit scenes, so make sure you see them.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favourite comedy in years, wow

I'm sad that I only have four episodes left

Celebrate Ricky Sargulesh
Jackal Onassis Backstage Party
Not on Your Wife Opening Night

All with insane plots and mistaken identity. And probably my favourite episodes.

It took me a few episodes to realize there's mid-credit scenes, so make sure you see them.
Yeah I caught it right away (ep 1) just by luck. Nice little epilogues and sometimes the best material

tumblr_mf5par5Xfv1rjzmubo1_500.gif