• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo teased Metroid and showed a sneak peek of the next Smash Bros fighter, wow.
EX-8XLxXQAAFWHy.jpg:large

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: why does combat have to be more important than puzzles or platformer phases?
It doesn't have to (only to a vocal minority it's probably a dealbreaker) but what is the benefit to not showing all three clearly? That's it...the question of combat will be cleared up soon, just questioning the strategy of the initial reveal.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak on Death Stranding reveals myself, but from an outsider it seemed like the type of game that thrives on the mystery of it all. Not a situation I would compare with an established series like Paper Mario. What is the benefit to leaving the combat a mystery on the initial reveal?

There were things to be excited about from this trailer (environments, design) but was it was too much to ask to dedicate ~20 sec to a clear shot of combat to put the discourse to rest from the start?

Could've left it out due to spoiler things if theres some additions to the battle system at a later point of the game. I'm sure they had their reasons whatever they would be.

And about DS, no. The game was always hyped as something new, fresh, different from Kojima. Yet he failed to show anything of that, and just because it was a new game and not from an established series, that doesn't give it a pass for non-sense trailers. I mean heck you had people not knowing wtf this game was about weeks prior to release.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This actually looks like a proper Paper Mario game?

No more cards\stickers?

I'm in man. I'm *IN*

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OH
MY
EFFING
GOD!

whenever i nap awesome shit happens! last time DP2 trailer and now this. looks gorgeous, 300% in.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Oh my God, I just realised the silly pun in the Turn based battle system!! Because you actually turn things around lmao.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It looks good, but I'm going to need to see more, especially in regards to combat and how that facilitates character progression. The ring based system seems like it could be good, especially since you can't always line up all of the characters.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
We need to see how progression is handled

not even 64 or TTYD were "traditional". So it's not like we're just asking for levelling up with stats and skills traditionally like SMRPG.
64 and TTYD had intriguing systems for it's levelling up, this needs to do the same.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Was Super Mario RPG the only other time they referenced Samus in a Mario RPG? The little gun arm thing was adorable!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks gorgeous but I have been disappointed with almost every Paper Mario outside of looks so I'm skeptical.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
It definitely feels closer to the first 2 games than SS and CS i think. But I have a lot of questions. I"m cautiously optimistic.

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, the rumor was true after all. I guess that gives much more credence about the 3d mario collection too.

It looks cute, but I can't shake off the color splash feel just yet.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, its not a retunr to RPG nor even super paper pario with real characters?
It can stay where it is.
Seriously nintendo, how much needs paper mario to sell for you guys to see nobody wants this shit? ZERO?

EDIT
Seems there partners but they are generic? and there no really RPG mechanics, but maybe yes?
I will wait and see, im not falling again for that shit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Also, is this a Sticker Star card-based battle system I see there? I really hope not....

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
That shiny boot item(?) is worrying me. It looks right now like you have to use items for special attacks and the hammer and jump are just standard attacks for when you don't have or don't want to use an item. Hopefully I'll stand corrected but that coupled with the ring puzzle combat system has me in wait and see mode

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy about the announcement and a new Paper Mario but this could have been announced easily earlier this year instead of keeping this unnecessary silence until now. Probably other games, in advanced development stages, are in the same situation and can be announced anytime, as well, but Nintendo keeps sitting on them until a few months before the release.

Hey, I'm not asking for Nintendo to act like Sony and announce something far away, a well-known excuse from fanboys, but Nintendo's strategy to announce their games only a few months away of release is totally unnecessary. Their marketing division needs to take a rant at the next general meeting of shareholders and executives.
This strategy is working great for them. Outside of announcing some tentpole games a couple years in advance, I'd expect this style of marketing for the majority of their software moving forward. Nintendo doesn't partake in the needless hype cycle the rest of the industry engages in. They market their products in their own way and it's paying off.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
No joke this announcement has me more hyped than the Unreal 5 stuff from yesterday lol, Geoff got the wrong exclusive reveal IMO ;)

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Nope not doing it not getting hyped. Thousand year door is my favorite game of all time and super paper Mario is a underrated gem but the series since has been so disappointing since.

il wait for reviews hoping its good but will assume it's bad till proven otherwise not letting them get me again.