• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Had a hilarious match on Dorado where me and a Lucio kept taking turns saying Boop the entire time. He'd do one, then I'd do one, and so on and so forth, the entire match. Something so silly turned my night around. Even ended up recording it.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Why in the fuck did the Rein change go live. The reaction to it was almost universally "Huh? Why?? This is incredibly unnecessary.", so what even is the point of experimental if community feedback isn't going to affect what goes live and what doesn't. No one was complaining that Shatter kept you on the ground too long.

The Hog change is also just incredibly dumb. People have been talking about Hog's knockback as the single biggest reason it's a shit ult, and they "buff" it to make it even worse.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Had such a good run of COQ games last night with pleasant ppl and tonight is back to the pits of hell 🙈

What compels these people to switch from a comp that rolls to a complete bonfire.

Big shout to the DF main last night on WPG tho who gave himself a pep talk every time he died, we did it b

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Is mystery heroes messed up for anyone else right now? Everyone is getting copied. Enemy team with 3 reins. My team 4 tracers. Next match 3 Moira on enemy team and 4 roadhog on ours.

This isn't at start of match but after a bit when people start dying.

When you respawn it seems like 50% of the time you spawn as a teammates hero. Other times you just respawn as same hero.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Is mystery heroes messed up for anyone else right now? Everyone is getting copied. Enemy team with 3 reins. My team 4 tracers. Next match 3 Moira on enemy team and 4 roadhog on ours.

This isn't at start of match but after a bit when people start dying.

When you respawn it seems like 50% of the time you spawn as a teammates hero. Other times you just respawn as same hero.

They've been having MH issues, maybe they're trying to fix it. There was a bug where you wouldn't switch when you died.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
They've been having MH issues, maybe they're trying to fix it. There was a bug where you wouldn't switch when you died.
Yeah I've been having the 'won't switch' bug for a day or 2 but this new thing is bizarre lol. Going up against 4 reins. Our team 3 bastions. It's happened 4 games in a row but it suddenly stopped this last match. Super weird.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I've been pretty in and out with Overwatch over the years, been going back hard lately. But am I crazy cause a few things I've noticed...

1. Roadhog is buffed up as fuck, every game has one and he is super difficult to take down now. His heal is insane.
2. I used to main Bridgette(?), but she seems pretty garbo now. Her attacks don't feel as powerful, her shield stun feels a tad useless and her heals are a joke... what the hell.
3. Moira feels a tad worse at healing?
4. Was Lucio always this hard to take down?
5. Tracer feels a bit buffier...

Any of those substantial lol?

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I've been pretty in and out with Overwatch over the years, been going back hard lately. But am I crazy cause a few things I've noticed...

1. Roadhog is buffed up as fuck, every game has one and he is super difficult to take down now. His heal is insane.
2. I used to main Bridgette(?), but she seems pretty garbo now. Her attacks don't feel as powerful, her shield stun feels a tad useless and her heals are a joke... what the hell.

1. Reaper and Mei are easy counters to Roadhog, Ana getting a anti nade, stunning him as soon as he starts healing. Roadhog is the weakest tank in the game, people still play him because they can dps on him. He is basically an ult battery most of the time.
2. Her kit changed, she is less tankier but has better healing. She is mainly used against a dive team or to assist a dive team, her armor packs on diving teammates is really strong. Basically the idea with her is to sit with the back line and wait for a target to get close, you can also play with your Rein but have to play safe. She actually has pretty good heals if you can proc it enough but with her lack of being able to tank a lot of damage its hard outside of having dive enemies.
3. Moira has slightly less healing but still one of the strongest healers along with Ana
4. Not any more then usual
5. Tracer is virtually the same only nerf she got was on her pulse bomb

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Without an exact exit date (aside from ~ March 2018 after Brig release), it's hard to tell you what's news to you. But:

1) Roadhog gets 50% damage reduction when healing and can move during it. That's probably where you noticed his survivability
2) Brig requires a whole new playstyle. She is almost a backline healer except for certain important team fight moments. Her most important skills requirements is game sense, repair pack timing and awareness, and (surprisingly) aim for her rocket flail, which will sometimes be your primary source of healing. Her shield and stun now needs to be used conservatively and intelligently, rather than as get out of jail cards.
3) Moira's primary heal got a pretty big HPS nerf
4) Uhhh...aim better? This late into the game, all the Lucio mains worth their salt are wallriding prodigies
5) She's had almost no changes aside from some Blink QOL changes, increased damage falloff, and a slightly weaker bomb. Nothing regarding her health or survivability

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Last night: I queued competitive DPS and won every match, there weren't any slaughters and every match was fun.

Tonight: I queued competitive DPS, tank, support, lost every match and none of them were even competitive except the very last one, which we were going to win but my game crashed during the final fight so we ended up drawing instead.

God I wish it wasn't completely random whether you have decent matches or not.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Without an exact exit date (aside from ~ March 2018 after Brig release), it's hard to tell you what's news to you. But:

1) Roadhog gets 50% damage reduction when healing and can move during it. That's probably where you noticed his survivability
2) Brig requires a whole new playstyle. She is almost a backline healer except for certain important team fight moments. Her most important skills requirements is game sense, repair pack timing and awareness, and (surprisingly) aim for her rocket flail, which will sometimes be your primary source of healing. Her shield and stun now needs to be used conservatively and intelligently, rather than as get out of jail cards.
3) Moira's primary heal got a pretty big HPS nerf
4) Uhhh...aim better? This late into the game, all the Lucio mains worth their salt are wallriding prodigies
5) She's had almost no changes aside from some Blink QOL changes, increased damage falloff, and a slightly weaker bomb. Nothing regarding her health or survivability
1. Reaper and Mei are easy counters to Roadhog, Ana getting a anti nade, stunning him as soon as he starts healing. Roadhog is the weakest tank in the game, people still play him because they can dps on him. He is basically an ult battery most of the time.
2. Her kit changed, she is less tankier but has better healing. She is mainly used against a dive team or to assist a dive team, her armor packs on diving teammates is really strong. Basically the idea with her is to sit with the back line and wait for a target to get close, you can also play with your Rein but have to play safe. She actually has pretty good heals if you can proc it enough but with her lack of being able to tank a lot of damage its hard outside of having dive enemies.
3. Moira has slightly less healing but still one of the strongest healers along with Ana
4. Not any more then usual
5. Tracer is virtually the same only nerf she got was on her pulse bomb
Ok! Thanks for laying all that out, I'm not SO crazy. Interesting how much Bridgette has changed.

OH and I forgot one... seems like Doomfist is a true beast now, did they buff him or are people just good with him now? lol

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
I woke up an sleeping BOB (as Lucio, so didn't really could follow up with anything) and it felt like that lost us the game :(
The "Thanks" from the Ana will haunt me for the rest of my live.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dear lord I need to learn when to call it quits for the night. I have no idea why supporting is so hard for me right now. Some games click so well and some games are just 😩 I've legit started playing Bap just to deal with long range/off angle threats.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Arghhhh...another round of massive tank sr drop thx to another mcree ban. Round and round we go.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Dear lord I need to learn when to call it quits for the night. I have no idea why supporting is so hard for me right now. Some games click so well and some games are just 😩 I've legit started playing Bap just to deal with long range/off angle threats.
I just wanna play Zen man but the peel is nonexistent 😭

Playing a ton of Smite has me back attempting coms this season and it's generally positive and well received, but I was politely asking a Soldier to pressure the Pharah and he switched to Sym. Rip

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna play Zen man but the peel is nonexistent 😭

Playing a ton of Smite has me back attempting coms this season and it's generally positive and well received, but I was politely asking a Soldier to pressure the Pharah and he switched to Sym. Rip

I want to Zen as well :( but maybe I'm not cutting it with this level of gameplay in 2020...

Honestly when I call I barely ask for switches directly with randos. It feels too much of a direct attack on some people even if it is the truth. Even if talking around it doesn't get anywhere IMO I feel it's better to not piss people on top of not getting the switch.

That being said yesterday I probably had one of my best shot called games ever lol. People actually listened, we would get fluid target switching, called out threats were dealt with. Those games remind you why nothing touches this game years later.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I want to Zen as well :( but maybe I'm not cutting it with this level of gameplay in 2020...

Honestly when I call I barely ask for switches directly with randos. It feels too much of a direct attack on some people even if it is the truth. Even if talking around it doesn't get anywhere IMO I feel it's better to not piss people on top of not getting the switch.

That being said yesterday I probably had one of my best shot called games ever lol. People actually listened, we would get fluid target switching, called out threats were dealt with. Those games remind you why nothing touches this game years later.
I didn't even ask him to switch! Just he was our only hitscan and was only interested in their Hog. I just call out enemy placement and when their ults are coming up, and yeah if people are onboard I'll try call focus targets.

Asking people to switch is too tilting, better to just encourage and roll with what you have.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
whoops I misread 😅

Gotta love when people just don't do their job. Sometimes it they need help which is fine, but they just ask for help lmao. Had a game yesterday where after the game the hitscan was like "yeah I don't really play Soldier but I got no help with the Pharah". Thanks for saying something when we can literally do nothing about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I low key have been doing better this season by not joining comms. I know, I know you are encouraged, but in Gold I find that people don't actually listen for call outs at all. All it does for me is exhaust my brain and frustrate me since I'm hoping someone will do something logical and they don't.

Since no one can hear me or me hear them, I don't rely on anyone. I don't assume, and instead work around w.e wacky comp I have, or assist the Junkrat that won't switch to deal with a Pharah. It's made me a better Ana/Bap/Zen because it has put more emphasis on what I can do to set the outcome of the match, and puts more pressure on my mechanics and gamesense to be on point, since no will likely peel for me.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
finished my placements

support matches were a mess- play my ass off to keep people alive but it doesn't matter when my team is completely disorganized or our tanks aren't capable of making a push (or literally stand at the choke point the entire round)

tank matches also a mess- no one will group up and move in with me (god I need those new voice lines, even if it's just a placebo and doesn't change how people play) or I die and spectate our Moira on the other side of the map chasing kills

dps matches were super fun cuz I can actually have an impact without needing to be completely reliant on my rando teammates

placed like 250 higher as dps and I'm a support main lol

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't rely on anyone. I don't assume, and instead work around w.e wacky comp I have, or assist the Junkrat that won't switch to deal with a Pharah. It's made me a better Ana/Bap/Zen because it has put more emphasis on what I can do to set the outcome of the match, and puts more pressure on my mechanics and gamesense to be on point, since no will likely peel for me.

I think this is the way forward for me. Which is unfortunate since it's less OW and more deathmatchy. I need to up my rank to a point where I can queue with more friends to get the teamwork up 😅

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I think this is the way forward for me. Which is unfortunate since it's less OW and more deathmatchy. I need to up my rank to a point where I can queue with more friends to get the teamwork up 😅
I cannot wait for the communication wheel. I'm gonna be all over that. Simple things such as "Fall back"+"I need Help" if I'm getting flanked, or "Understood"+"I'm on my way" if the team is asking for heals while I'm at spawn... Little things like that, I find more success listening to those commands than through the mic. Best part is you actually see who is saying what instead of "HEAL ME" being screamed into your ear, and you don't know who, or where to heal

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I low key have been doing better this season by not joining comms. I know, I know you are encouraged, but in Gold I find that people don't actually listen for call outs at all. All it does for me is exhaust my brain and frustrate me since I'm hoping someone will do something logical and they don't.

Since no one can hear me or me hear them, I don't rely on anyone. I don't assume, and instead work around w.e wacky comp I have, or assist the Junkrat that won't switch to deal with a Pharah. It's made me a better Ana/Bap/Zen because it has put more emphasis on what I can do to set the outcome of the match, and puts more pressure on my mechanics and gamesense to be on point, since no will likely peel for me.
Is funny when you think you have people's attention, you're like right guys I've got grav up and I can see two of you have dps ult so we push this together and win point. They're with me, I count down to grav, grav... wait for follow up... look around, oh they're chasing Sombra. Defeat.

Gg

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Is funny when you think you have people's attention, you're like right guys I've got grav up and I can see two of you have dps ult so we push this together and win point. They're with me, I count down to grav, grav... wait for follow up... look around, oh they're chasing Sombra. Defeat.

Gg
F

Solo Q Ranked is everyone for themselves, convince me I'm wrong lol. I mean maybe not in high level competitive, but in Low Elos your energy is better spent concentration on your positioning and APM than trying to get others to help you.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
finished my placements

support matches were a mess- play my ass off to keep people alive but it doesn't matter when my team is completely disorganized or our tanks aren't capable of making a push (or literally stand at the choke point the entire round)

tank matches also a mess- no one will group up and move in with me (god I need those new voice lines, even if it's just a placebo and doesn't change how people play) or I die and spectate our Moira on the other side of the map chasing kills

dps matches were super fun cuz I can actually have an impact without needing to be completely reliant on my rando teammates

placed like 250 higher as dps and I'm a support main lol
I honestly felt like 3/5 of my support placements were so clutch and I got placed gold for the first time since like s2 lol. Climbed out but everything else was mid plat and I felt so betrayed.

I actually got highest on dps too maining Pharah, even tho I'm mostly off tank/ support

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Hero pool update
- Hero pool will only affect Masters and above, this needs a patch so they will be turning off hero pools for Competitive next Monday until it is patched

We've been continuing to read, listen, and watch feedback on Hero Pools from members all across the Overwatch community, and we're going to make additional changes to the feature to address many of these concerns. Let's jump right into what we're doing!

Hero Pools Will Now Use Overwatch League Data

Starting this weekend, Hero Pools eligibility will be determined using hero usage rates from Overwatch League games. While initially our data showed that there were many similarities in hero usage between online high-level Competitive Play and OWL matches, online hero usage over the last few weeks has seen a lot of changes due to the release of Patch 1.47's balance updates, Experimental Card, and Echo. There were some significant differences between online hero picks versus the most played hero compositions in Overwatch League. Yes, I'm looking at you, Mei and Reaper. Determining Hero Pools with online data did achieve our goal to increase hero variance in matches, and the point of Hero Pools is NOT to just ban the heroes that some players might dislike or consider overpowered. However, Mei and Reaper not seeing enough online play to even be considered for rotation was an issue we wanted to address. After Overwatch League finishes their season this year, we'll switch back to using data from high-level Competitive Play matches until the next season of Overwatch League begins.

Refining the Algorithm

As part of moving back to Overwatch League data, we're also looking to make some minor changes in the algorithm to lessen the chance of what might be best described as "hero rotation ping-pong," where a hero is rotated out every other week. While the current algorithm makes heroes with higher usage-rate percentages also see a higher chance of being rotated, that does exacerbate the chance of heroes repeatedly being removed. Also, highly played heroes the community really likes seeing played have the same chances of being rotated out as highly played heroes the community doesn't like. The goal is to create variance in the available heroes week to week, and that means there will be a wide range of reactions from the community on each week's Hero Pool from "the comps we see in OWL this week should be super interesting," to "ARGH! This week's pool is the WORST!" It all depends on which heroes you like to play and watch.

Hero Pools Now Only for Master and Grandmaster Players

Another big change we're making is to only have Hero Pools affect online Competitive Play matches at an average rating of Master or Grandmaster skill level (>3500 SR). Competitive Play at lower skill tiers already sees a tremendous amount of hero composition diversity in their matches, and we don't think they need a system like Hero Pools to encourage even more. Unfortunately, this is a change that will require a client patch, and we're a bit too far along in the development process for the upcoming 1.48 patch to add a new feature like this one. This change will take a bit more time to implement. While we all wait for this feature to go live, we've decided to temporarily disable Hero Pools from being used in all Competitive Play games. We'll switch them off next Monday morning, May 4, when the Hero Pool normally rotates. For the vast majority of our competitive players who are ranked Diamond and below, this brings their upcoming future without Hero Pools to them way more quickly.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback across the entire Overwatch community about this subject. We really believe in the Hero Pools feature, and while we have seen a lot of positive results so far, we also know there's always room for more iteration and improvement. Thanks, everyone!

us.forums.blizzard.com

Updates to Hero Pools

We’ve been continuing to read, listen, and watch feedback on Hero Pools from members all across the Overwatch community, and we’re going to make additional changes to the feature to address many of these concerns. Let’s jump right into what we’re doing! Hero Pools Will Now Use Overwatch League...

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the "never poolers," this sounds almost like the perfect implementation of hero pools for just about everyone

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That makes some sense in regards to the meta mattering way more at higher levels than it does at lower levels, but the best change they can make is having hero bans be selectable in game by the players.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Lol knew it.

I pity Masters and above. Imagine being the best only to get your hero banned.

Oh well. As long as I don't see this trash system below that where my friends at, I don't care. Have fun beta testing for Blizzard, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Lol knew it.

I pity Masters and above. Imagine being the best only to get your hero banned.

Oh well. As long as I don't see this trash system below that where my friends at, I don't care. Have fun beta testing for Blizzard, I guess.
If OWL is gonna have bans, I guess they want high tier players that are potentially top 500 to also have those bans. Technically this would as part of the "path to pro" I guess, where they would have practice in ranked with bans, then move up to contenders which would also have them and then OWL.

My hope is with this, they are testing and getting pros used to the idea of bans, which in OW2 will simply be a feature that kicks in matches so teams can ban each other's opponent's picks.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I just had the most epic upset in Dorado... On attack we were only able to push the payload past the second bridge, right before the second point. I was on Ana, so to defend I decided I was not only gonna keep everyone alive, but pick up some slack for the one silver DPS we had in the midst of my other Gold DPS.

Played a super aggressive Bap on defence, and got crazy synergy with our Zarya. Match was right about to end, theor goal right behind us... We pull of this magic last play for the win, which turned into the POTG:

Probably one of my best matches in a while. Damn I love this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Double post but I swear it's warranted. The original dev post got updated with how SR variance will work with Hero pools:
ADDITIONAL UPDATE: A few people have asked about "What constitutes a Masters or Grandmasters" match, so let me answer that for you all. When Hero Pools come back, they will be active in your match if the average SR amongst all the players is greater or equal to 3500 SR. So if you're at 3495 SR, you could be in a match with hero pools if other players in the match have higher SRs and raise the average above 3500. If you have a SR of 3510, you could end up in a match with an average SR below 3500 and not have hero pools. One other thing to note is that you can still end up in an "Master and Grandmaster" match even if you or other players are in placements.

us.forums.blizzard.com

Updates to Hero Pools

We’ve been continuing to read, listen, and watch feedback on Hero Pools from members all across the Overwatch community, and we’re going to make additional changes to the feature to address many of these concerns. Let’s jump right into what we’re doing! Hero Pools Will Now Use Overwatch League...

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
If OWL is gonna have bans, I guess they want high tier players that are potentially top 500 to also have those bans. Technically this would as part of the "path to pro" I guess, where they would have practice in ranked with bans, then move up to contenders which would also have them and then OWL.

My hope is with this, they are testing and getting pros used to the idea of bans, which in OW2 will simply be a feature that kicks in matches so teams can ban each other's opponent's picks.

I just feel like it should only be applied for OWL. Masters/GM players already suffer long queue times. Now add hero pools to that and you get people leaving your game.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I just had the most epic upset in Dorado... On attack we were only able to push the payload past the second bridge, right before the second point. I was on Ana, so to defend I decided I was not only gonna keep everyone alive, but pick up some slack for the one silver DPS we had in the midst of my other Gold DPS.

Played a super aggressive Bap on defence, and got crazy synergy with our Zarya. Match was right about to end, theor goal right behind us... We pull of this magic last play for the win, which turned into the POTG:

Probably one of my best matches in a while. Damn I love this game.

I can't play Ana (I hate missing my shots and don't like her or snipers in general) so always good to see a Bap play!

Well done. With Bap and no Widow on ladder, I recommend the high ground. Think like a DPS main. Always the high ground! You will reach Masters fast.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I can't play Ana (I hate missing my shots and don't like her or snipers in general) so always good to see a Bap play!

Well done. With Bap and no Widow on ladder, I recommend the high ground. Think like a DPS main. Always the high ground! You will reach Masters fast.
I've been playing tons of Ana lately, took a while to learn her but she's one of my fav heroes now.

And with Bap yeah, I do tend to favour high ground. The problem was the point was right behind us, so I had to drop down for one last attempt... And it worked 🙏

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, who are these people joining games and leaving them... because of hero pools?

im just gonna jump straight into why i retired and talk about my teammates

straight up just lost passion for the game. idk what the real killer was for me but maybe it was 2-2-2 lock maybe it was bans im not sure... i just know it was hard for me to log on to play and i didnt have fun in scrims/ranked at all anymore. i did not make this decision in 1 day it took a full month of non stop thinking every day and sleepless nights from being so stressed. it fucking sucked but ultimately i wanted to do whats right for me. i wanna thank NRG/SHOCK and OWL for giving me a chance and making my dreams come true. (shoutout andy, brett, jaime <3) last thing, i just wanna say sorry to all my fans, fans of OWL, and everyone on shock. in the past month i did not give OW/OWL my all and it showed in scrims and even in OWL so im sorry.

Was referencing this post: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr7l88

Queue time is hell for dps let alone top 500.