• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember in the early years of having internet at home I used to go to all these Dragon Ball fansites and there was this Dragon Ball AF leak. I thought it was the hypest shit but it obviously turned out to be fake.

I never expected we'd actually get a series that is Dragon Ball af.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone who enjoyed Battle of Gods a great deal and was content with the series ending there permanently back in 2013. Super on the other hand is honestly a bad, uninspired and ugly product filled with so many holes, that none of it feels like Dragon Ball to me. I only kept up with it out of some misguided sense of "This is dragon ball so i have to see it" but it was more often than not completely tedious. TOP stands as the single worst and most dragged out arc in the entries franchise, it's full of characters that i don't give a shit about, lame fights and transformations that add nothing to the series overall and drag on for an eternity. The Future Trunks arc was interesting at first but the pacing was abysmal and it had the worst ending a single arc in this franchise ever had. It was just a worse retread of the Cell arc. Sadly even with all of its flaws, it was still the peak of Super overall, so that just speaks to how poor the rest of the series is.

The music is really bad as well. Nothing as bad as Faulconer or any of the other dub scores for DBZ or GT that exist but it comes pretty close to those. It sounds like generic shonen anime music that doesn't fit Dragon Ball at all. Really awful stuff. The plasticy art style of everything looks terrible even in episodes that have good animation.

Really its not as bad as GT was but then again i don't think it's much better either. It doesn't mean much when people proclaim that" Super is better than GT" because both aren't really worth your time. Everything about Super feels just as cash grab and poorly executed as GT. Super falls far below the quality of anything that was in DB/DBZ.

The Broly movie was fine but if Super is any indication of what the quality of this franchise is going to be going forward. Then i hope Dragon Ball stays dead as i don't want crap content to overwhelmingly overweight the good content as far as the entirety of Dragon Ball is concerned. A excellent argument can be made that Dragon Ball had a good run and didn't really need to come back in the first place. So if they aren't going to do Dragon Ball well and tell something that's worth telling then they should just stop.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Some cool moments. But there's a lot of dumb things too like what happens to Trunks, Goku putting a hit on himself, lame character designs. I guess they get a pass on the characters since they had to make so many for TOP arc.

Nothing as bad as gt tho.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Admittedly I gave up on it early in the run but when I heard that goku when evil but it turns out to be Black instead I was hooked baby!!! ToP is probably the best arc after the namek and vegeta saga.

Refl3x

alt account
Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I enjoyed Z and GT more than Super. Mainly because:
- Goke is a dumbass in Super and insufferable
- The powerscaling and powerboosts are rediculous. No lie: a God of Destruction shows up, nearly kills Goku with the flick a finger, and a couple of hours later Goku is holding his own against this God because of a magic circle power poost.
- Super Saiyan God is stupid, so is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

The Broly movie was bad. The buildup and early fight scenes were awesome, but they rushed the middle and the ending and they made the Super Saiyan Transformation a joke.

Broly was losing the fight, then Frieza got an idea and was like 'wait! if I kill his father he will turn SS just like that time I killed Krillin and Goku went SS!'. Then, Frieza out of nowhere kills Paragus and Broly becomes the Legendary Super Saiyan. It was like the flick of a switch. Happened too fast

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Only problem with super was toriyama still refusing to pass Gohan the torch.

Oct 27, 2017
Fun Fact: Just recently the final episodes of the dubbed german version of Super aired here for the first time. It's amazing how slow they are with adapting these.

Broly was losing the fight, then Frieza got an idea and was like 'wait! if I kill his father he will turn SS just like that time I killed Krillin and Goku went SS!'. Then, Frieza out of nowhere kills Paragus and Broly becomes the Legendary Super Saiyan. It was like the flick of a switch. Happened too fast

It was both in character for Frieza and Brolys reaction was also logical. When Son Goku turned into a SS it went about just as fast.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
in terms of show quality

DB>>>DBZ>>DBS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DBGT

although SSJ4 is still better then any of the new DBS forms.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Broly movie was also ridiculously overrated. Some cool animation and fight stuff but the story sucked, Goku is still annoying, and they turned Broly from an unstoppable death machine into just kind of a whiny nerd who happens to be super strong. Like they tried to give him pathos but it didn't really work for me. The old design was better too.

Battle of Gods was far better overall imo, and stands out as the best DB movie.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Slice of life stuff is great.

tenor.gif

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Still hasn't finished airing in the US, but the tournament of power has largely been disappointing. It has some really high highs, but some of the lowest lows. The first half of the arc is basically filler as they recruit each team member. Then the tournament itself is just ridiculously stretched out. I thought a 30 minute tournament would fly by, until it ended up being a minute an episode. The stuff with Jiren is cool, but he has no real reason to be so powerful other than he's had a tough life. Kind of an under cooked "villain".

But I like DBS overall, even the retread of the first two movies. Goku vs Hit is probably one of my favorite episodes in all of Dragon Ball.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Awful.

Got so bad I started skipping through large parts of the show.

Broly movie was okay though.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
- The powerscaling and powerboosts are rediculous. No lie: a God of Destruction shows up, nearly kills Goku with the flick a finger, and a couple of hours later Goku is holding his own against this God because of a magic circle power poost.

The Broly movie was bad. The buildup and early fight scenes were awesome, but they rushed the middle and the ending and they made the Super Saiyan Transformation a joke.

Broly transformation is not bad. At least there was a reasonable catalyst. There were worse offenders for this, mainly kid Goten, Trunks, Caulifla and Kale. But honestly I agree with you that Super Broly movie is not that great. I think it's decent, but I would put Fusion Reborn, History of Trunks, Tree of Might and Battle of Gods above it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I didn't really enjoy what I've seen so far - I'm just short of starting the Trunks arc.
For me it's Dragon Ball OG -> Dragon Ball Z (Manga) -> Dragon Ball Z (Anime) -> Dragon Ball Super

All of this feels way to Goku centric and they don't try to tell stories or create interesting characters anymore, they just look for a way to re-visit stuff from Z over and over again.

They also ignore what they established for Power Levels before. I felt that this was fairly good in the Z Manga and already somewhat lost in the anime. But here the characters are as strong as they need to be and that varies from minute to minute.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018

Now that I think back about it, the Broly movie was pretty crap too, I might have been too generous with it because of its music and the animation.

That and I always liked the idea and design of Broly, its like if you take the steroids and add more steroids, take a hose and pump it into every hole in Brock Lesnar, you get Broly.

And if you want to write about an ultra powerful, unstoppable being, then you better make him look the part and not look like a skinned rat.

Shame all if Broly's movies suck though.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It's a proper sequel to DBZ, although nothing beats the Saiyan + Freeza arc. IMO, If I would try to rank it by arc (not going to rank GT because it's awful):

-> Saiyan's arc
-> Namek's arc
-> Moro's arc
-> Tournament of Power (better in anime)
-> Slice of life episodes of Super (they are surprisingly good)
-> DB in general
-> Androids + Cell saga
-> U6 vs U7 tournament (better in anime)
-> Future Trunks + Goku Black's arc (better in manga)
-> Boo's arc (as soon as Majin Buu is released, the arc takes a huge drop, IMO)
-> Early DB Super.

I havent watched the latest two movies, though.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its decent. I know a lot of fans love it but I felt it had all the issues from Z turned up to 11 with dumb nonsensical ass pull power ups, Goku being down right brain damaged and its ugly even after the animation improves in later arcs. Its like comfort food though as some people just love the journey and characters. It wasn't all that for me though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's every bit as good as anything else in the series. I enjoyed it IMMENSELY from start to finish. And it's responsible for some of my favorite characters from the entire series now. Whis, Beerus, Hit, Kefla, and Caulifla.

I will never understand why some people complain about it.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Cool moments but overall meh. Goku and Vegeta, the show. Fuck anyone else. Goten and Trunks? Let's make them even shorter than when they were 7/8 years old. Krillin? Even smaller than Z. Gohan? Gohan'd. Chi-Chi? Perpetually angry housewife, no longer understanding.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's every bit as good as anything else in the series. I enjoyed it IMMENSELY from start to finish. And it's responsible for some of my favorite characters from the entire series now. Whis, Beerus, Hit, Kefla, and Caulifla.

I will never understand why some people complain about it.

Is it that hard to understand? Its got numerous really dumb ass pull power ups, the pacing is atrocious in certain parts, its ugly as shit for several arcs and even after the improvement its not exactly what I'd call great looking by any means with repeated animation loops over and over and the like. Its more Dragon Ball which is what people were clamoring for for a long time but its got a ton of problems most other series would have been torn apart over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Cool moments but overall meh. Goku and Vegeta, the show. Fuck anyone else. Goten and Trunks? Let's make them even shorter than when they were 7/8 years old. Krillin? Even smaller than Z. Gohan? Gohan'd. Chi-Chi? Perpetually angry housewife, no longer understanding.
Why would you want any focus on Goten, Trunks, and Krillin?

Also Gohan getting Gohan'd is literally the least surprising thing in the history of the series. Why would you expect anything else?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They way it ended just made me wonder what is the fucking point. Power level ass pulls for days.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is it that hard to understand? Its got numerous really dumb ass pull power ups, the pacing is atrocious in certain parts, its ugly as shit for several arcs and even after the improvement its not exactly what I'd call great looking by any means with repeated animation loops over and over and the like. Its more Dragon Ball which is what people were clamoring for for a long time but its got a ton of problems most other series would have been torn apart over.
Yes it really is. Because I don't agree with literally any of that. The animation is a bit rough in the beginning, but it was far from unwatchable. And I never had any issues at all with the pacing.

Also "ass pull power ups"? Welcome to the Dragonball series is all I have to say to that.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a combination of me growing up since DB and DBZ, nostalgia-tinted glasses and all that, but I thought it to be too infantile (perfectly understable since it is a saturday morning cartoon)

Didn't stop me from watching it all tho, there's some good moments there, but they are spaced with a lot of filler.

Personally I didn't like all the recycling of plots and enemies in the first half, felt too marketing researched.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a combination of me growing up since DB and DBZ, nostalgia-tinted glasses and all that, but I thought it to be too infantile (perfectly understable since it is a saturday morning cartoon)

Didn't stop me from watching it all tho, there's some good moments there, but they are spaced with a lot of filler.

Personally I didn't like all the recycling of plots and enemies in the first half, felt too marketing researched.
Because it is. At this point the stories exist to sell merch/games/etc. Frieza coming back was not some narrative masterstroke, it was just, let's bring back the popular thing, because it will sell.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it really is. Because I don't agree with literally any of that. The animation is a bit rough in the beginning, but it was far from unwatchable. And I never had any issues at all with the pacing.

Also "ass pull power ups"? Welcome to the Dragonball series is all I have to say to that.

And that's fine you don't agree but my complaints are not exactly uncommon. They've been repeated since the series got running by a lot of people. DBS is not high art but even as pulp fiction I found it lacking and derivative of what came before without doing much to add to that except turning the scale up to 11.

And to the ass pull power ups, just because its been done throught out the series doesn't mean it works in DBS all that well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
And that's fine you don't agree but my complaints are not exactly my own. They've been repeated since the series got running. DBZ is not high art but even as pulp fiction I found it lacking and derivative of what came before without doing much to add to that except turning the scale up to 11.
Yeah but thats what DB is. I don't understand why people expected Super to be something else.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Overall it's pretty bad, with a couple of cool moments. They've really squandered the concept of a Dragonball continuation by filling the show with repetitive arcs that just reiterate the same exact character and plot beats over and over and over again before they run out of time and have to hastily rush an unsatisfying resolution.

And they made Goku so stupid he honestly shouldn't even know how to breathe anymore.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not as good as DBZ, and I say that acknowledging the problems of DBZ. There hasn't been any villain that convincingly loomed over the cast and provided any real sense of danger. Characters don't really change. Yeah Goku technically gets stronger but it never really feels earned. You could even remove a major arc like the Goku Black arc and barely even notice it was gone for all the difference it made, like it was canon filler. The slice of life episodes can be pretty good, but it's not exactly a compliment to the series when it's often at its best on the downbeat.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it is. At this point the stories exist to sell merch/games/etc. Frieza coming back was not some narrative masterstroke, it was just, let's bring back the popular thing, because it will sell.
Pretty much, that feeling took some of the enjoyment for me but otherwise I would watch again and will probably watch the next series/season.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball Super really needs to time skip, retire Goku and Vegeta, and focus on the youth. Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Uub. Let's move away from God level powers for a bit.

I'll also reiterate what everyone else is saying. The new Super Saiyan forms are underwhelming compared to any of the previous ones.

tenor.gif

tumblr_oz2tw3VfP01sefdhio2_540.gif

I don't know who the artist responsible for these shots is, but more like this in the future please!

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
The writing focuses on Goku and Vegeta so much that they had to constantly recycle tournaments settings just so the other Z fighters can stay relevant.

and they still fucked up my boy Piccolo.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Because its been well over a decade since DBZ and like most things people's tastes have matured, the anime industry has changed and expectations are a bit different these days.
Well Lucky for them they decided to stick to their guns rather than try something new. Dragonball is now more popular than it's ever been as a result of Super.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball Super really needs to time skip, retire Goku and Vegeta, and focus on the youth. Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Uub. Let's move away from God level powers for a bit.

I'll also reiterate what everyone else is saying. The new Super Saiyan forms are underwhelming compared to any of the previous ones.

tenor.gif

tumblr_oz2tw3VfP01sefdhio2_540.gif

I don't know who the artist responsible for these shots is, but more like this in the future please!

I don't think the show would work if focused on Goten and Trunks. They have no character and they squandered every possible chance to develop them.