• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One Q - what do the colors on the rumor board denote? And which color means a particular thread is "complete" - grey, or green?

Without giving it away: You'll note that the colors don't change, but that it WILL tell you if you've missed something in a given location with a little orange icon.

Colors aren't about completion, they're (basically) about narrative cluster, with each color tied to one of the game's central mysteries. When you read or hear about a place but haven't been yet, it will get added to the map with a question mark icon instead of a picture. Once you've located it, the picture will be added, but it will have an orange asterisk, noting that you haven't found everything there yet. Whenever you have new info added to an entry, it will get a green chevron next to it.

Speaking of the rumor board, super important note: Any entry you know the location of/have been to, you can select and create a waypoint for. This is a huge help in the late game when you want to revisit places that you can't quite remember how to get to.

Last night sure was a lot of suffocating to death in deep space!

It was great.

Your ship does not like to stay put on the Interloper.

You should go back and study why that might be...

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Just finished the game.... wow that was really engaging. I haven't played games for more than 4 hours at a time in literal years. Thanks Game Pass!

I might come back to mop up some easier achievements, but I felt the conclusion was satisfying enough to move on.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hopefully someone can answer the following:

Xbox store page for Outer Wilds shows that I own this game, but I don't remember buying it.

Once I download the game (roughly 4GB in size), the thumbnail in my games and apps has a pre-ordered sign.

What's going on?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

Xbox store page for Outer Wilds shows that I own this game, but I don't remember buying it.

Once I download the game (roughly 4GB in size), the thumbnail in my games and apps has a pre-ordered sign.

What's going on?
Do you have gamepass? it's a gamepass title. Maybe your subscription just lapsed?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
How long did it take you?

Yeah I'd like to know how long to do everything. Seems like it is s pretty long game judging by the size of the solar system.

BTW, I played my first hour this morning on Xbox One X (thanks Gamepass!!!) and this game is freaking legit. It's beautiful and amazing music. Flight controls are crazy and based on physics and while I suck at it, it's very engaging.

The game has a sense of pure adventure that is so rare for me. It's magical, breathtaking, mysterious, and great fun.

And for some reason, I get very strong Star Trek: First Contact vibes from this. The starting planets look and feel, coupled with the music and it just looks like where Zefram Cochrane lived.

I highly recommend everyone try this game out. It's a shock out of nowhere for me and I cannot wait to play more tonight!

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

What's going on?

They gave it away free for watching something on Mixer last year, maybe that?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm on a 2080ti and a 9900k, my 4k performance maxed out is really really inconsistent and never goes above 60 even when I turn down settings. This does not seem like it should be a demanding game. Is anyone else having this issue or is my computer fucked up?

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me an idea of how long this game takes to complete? I keep seeing this 20 minute talk...

(I know next to nothing about this game so apologies if this is a stupid question)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
so uh, how do you save? i played for around 30 minutes, maybe less, and when i tried to quit it looks like/states all progress is lost. do i have to hit a certain point before it begins saving or have i missed something?

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I had the game pre-ordered on Xbox thanks to the mixpot from last e3, however the game no longer appears on my installed or ready to install list. Did they pull access?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
After those first few magical hours it seems like I'm one of the only ones in the room not entirely in love with this, and my main point of frustration boils down to the 22 minute loop. It just doesn't jive with my personal play style in this sort of game (adventure/puzzling). So the basic loop of exploration and plot discovery is you land somewhere (or explore the starting planetoid), you find more clues to the overarching narrative, which typically gives you an idea of other areas to explore to find out more info. Finding these clues I'd think the devs would ostensibly want you to investigate them.

The game works brilliantly when you're stumbling into areas for the first time and discovering not only plot points in those areas but also whatever secret mechanic that particular planetoid holds. For my more task oriented play style of focusing on one or two specific leads at a time, this is where the game falls apart, and again it comes back to the time loop. Yes I understand the plot reason behind it, but I feel the number itself could have been increased to at least 30 with not much lost (aside from extra game time padding). In particular areas with actual puzzle content such as
the quantum tower trials
, me being literally at the last puzzle in the sequence before completion and then having to deal with that loop closing again I feel is getting in the way of progression and completely at odds with the exploration aspect in general. Yes this is obviously not a typical adventure game, yes I think the plot component of the loop is integral, yet it just isn't fun, it feels tedious after the umpteenth death.

It doesn't help of course that anything time limited it usually my most despised type of game mechanic. I like my adventure and exploration games to be meditative, chill outings, letting me take my time to soak up my surroundings without this gnawing thought in the back of my head that there's this hidden timer just waiting to sully the experience. You may say it just isn't for me, I'm not going with the flow, playing it wrong etc, and you may have a point. I just feel like something that does everything else so well in terms of plotting, exploration, and implementing some truly unique gameplay systems like this at minimum deserves a more casual gameplay mode with either a longer timer or none at all (basically a "story" mode). It would go a long ways towards making this experience reach more players and ensure they get to see the complete vision story wise (really though this deserves to be adapted into a mini series). And yes I know that last point is setting me up for a lot of "the loop is the story" responses, and again you'd have a point but I still say that's to the detriment of the initial joy of exploration and experience of soaking up the larger plot. The game already has plenty of death hazards as is, the timer really doesn't need to be looming like a cosmic reaper as often as it is. I hope the devs would consider this but I get it if the response is "this is our vision it ain't for you deal with it".

Really it all boils down to those first few hours were pure wonder and awe, something I haven't felt in a non VR game in quite some time, and it's a total bummer that it turned from something so euphoric to something so tedious so quickly :/

Yet I'm determined to finish it, something this unique doesn't come around hardly at all, and that alone demands my time and attention :)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game saves after deaths, finished loops, and anytime your log updates (just the log update itself, it won't save mid loop progress). You have to start the first loop and then either die or complete it in order to "start" a real save game. If you spend forever in the tutorial village, it can take a while before you can start the game proper.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm on a 2080ti and a 9900k, my 4k performance maxed out is really really inconsistent and never goes above 60 even when I turn down settings. This does not seem like it should be a demanding game. Is anyone else having this issue or is my computer fucked up?
So running 2080ti and 2700x locked 60 with no dips on the 3 hours I played. On Max settings. It really isn't pushing GPU hard at all. Clocked all the way down to 1200mhz vs the usual 2000+ and 50% - 75% utilization. Something seems to be wonky in your case. Sorry I have nothing useful for you

Edit misread your post and thought you said you were not getting 60. Yeah there is a 60fps cap

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
So running 2080ti and 2700x locked 60 with no dips on the 3 hours I played. On Max settings. It really isn't pushing GPU hard at all. Clocked all the way down to 1200mhz vs the usual 2000+ and 50% - 75% utilization. Something seems to be wonky in your case. Sorry I have nothing useful for you

Edit misread your post and thought you said you were not getting 60. Yeah there is a 60fps cap

I'm definitely dipping to 30 a lot. Every other game runs fine so I don't get whats going on.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
What's that? I have rtss but have never done a frametime thing.
So where you can lock the framerate in the config interface you can click the text 'framerate' if you enter a framerate of 60 and then click the text to switch to frametime it will convert that to 16.666 ms. It really helps with inconsistent frametimes and makes games feel much smoother to me. I'm super sensitive to bad frame pacing (where you're getting 60fps but each frame is rendering in different lengths of time) and this helps that so much. It's my default in all games

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
So where you can lock the framerate in the config interface you can click the text 'framerate' if you enter a framerate of 60 and then click the text to switch to frametime it will convert that to 16.666 ms. It really helps with inconsistent frametimes and makes games feel much smoother to me. I'm super sensitive to bad frame pacing (where you're getting 60fps but each frame is rendering in different lengths of time) and this helps that so much. It's my default in all games

You mean I just set a 60fps cap in RTSS for outerwilds.exe? I have a global setting of 118 (2 below my monitor max refresh rate) but I'll try doing 60 for this game.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
You mean I just set a 60fps cap in RTSS for outerwilds.exe? I have a global setting of 118 (2 below my monitor max refresh rate) but I'll try doing 60 for this game.
the frame rate cap and frametime cap are different with how RTSS handles the frame rate but equate to the same things.
yeah give that a try and see if it happens, do you use gsync? I wonder if it's giving you grief with this game, I have heard of certain games not behaving right with it. Maybe try disabling it. I think even using fullscreen this game does borderless window another think you can try is adding:
Exclusive fullscreen • Link

Use the -window-mode exclusive command line argument.
to force it to exclusive fullscreen

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
the frame rate cap and frametime cap are different with how RTSS handles the frame rate but equate to the same things.
yeah give that a try and see if it happens, do you use gsync? I wonder if it's giving you grief with this game, I have heard of certain games not behaving right with it. Maybe try disabling it. I think even using fullscreen this game does borderless window another think you can try is adding:

to force it to exclusive fullscreen

I do use gsync, I bet thats it. Do you know how to add command line arguments to EGS launcher games?

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
This game is something special. I'm honestly astounded by the entire thing, and I can't stop being awe-struck by everything it's doing. I love the fact that I'm sort of just bumbling through a galaxy, stumbling across pieces of a mystery, and then just...trying to piece it all together. Wonderful.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stop saying it, I love the adventure this game is. It is so well crafted and is just a joy to explore.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, I couldn't fly the toy ship at all, but I think I'm actually getting the hang of it. Feels good. I'd be lost without the match speed button, though.
... So anybody else forget to put their spacesuit on and jump out into space and die yet?
Every time I jump out I have that thought. Did I put on the space suit?

But so far so good.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone mind giving me mild interloper tips?

where do i find the fissure? i read the text on the dark side of the comet. i've tried looking for the fissure as the ice melts, but i can't find it

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Okey I just about died inside
Dark Bramble
Nice way to keep me wide awake this late at night. This game is mental in the best way possible. The crazy thing is I wanna go back inside lol

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God this game is great. I recalled the
frozen craft from the comet
, got inside, and proceeded to immediately launched myself into the sun.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I just played my first couple of hours, and oh boy, do I just love this game! It's so magical! It is basically hitting all kinds of buttons for me.

I have a quick question of a spoiler nature, about something I'm trying to do on the hollow planet (Brittle Hollow?). I'm sure I can figure this out, but twice the time loop caught me, and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Okay, I made it to the north village place, and there's a vertical path you can walk up. It takes you to four floors. In the middle of the wide open area, is some kind of elevator-like structure. Now, I figured out how to raise and lower the elevator, so I sent it up to the top floor. But, both paths up the vertical path are blocked. How the hell do I get up there? I tried starting the elevator up and flying over to land on it, but I didn't quite make it and got sucked into the black hole, lol. (On the upside, I found White Hole station and beamed myself back.) So, yeah, anyway, how do I get up to that top floor?

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
anyone mind giving me mild interloper tips?

where do i find the fissure? i read the text on the dark side of the comet. i've tried looking for the fissure as the ice melts, but i can't find it
You know how some planets have some sort of mechanic where they change over time? The interloper does too.

You've been to the dark side... What happens when part of the comment isn't so dark anymore?

From the "front" of the commet, look for the big, still-forwardish-facing section that is covered in ice. If I'm remembering right, there's a little "island" of ice sticking up above the rest. Hang out nearby until you get close to the sun, and watch it all melt away. Hop down there and look around, and you'll find your way in.