• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Maybe people shouldn't let Twitch (or TV or comics or whatever we want to demonize today) parent their kids in their absence.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't think we really have a choice, influencers and personalities like Ninja are equivalent to the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, and Fred Rodgers rolled into one. You can't escape him for very long if you consume any media.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
All things in moderation. Watching Ninja a little isn't going to ruin a child. Absolute devotion to a person, content, or whatever might. It's on parents to help foster a better environment for the child. It shouldn't come as a shocker that a 7-year-old who is given a lot of access to the Internet comes out with some unsavory attitudes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is rated as suitable for players 13+ because of its violence and also warns of player to player interactions. A 7 year old kid shouldn't be playing Fortnite. And the aunt and uncle from the tweet don't address this correctly. They blame Ninja, find other streamers for the 7 year old to watch and continue to let the 7 year old play a game that is rated as suitable for teenagers. There are many other things the 7 year old should be doing with their free time... This is on the adults involved.

Assuming you're not in a voice chat or text, which part of Fortnite could teach a child to have violent outbursts when they lose?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is rated as suitable for players 13+ because of its violence and also warns of player to player interactions. A 7 year old kid shouldn't be playing Fortnite. And the aunt and uncle from the tweet don't address this correctly. They blame Ninja, find other streamers for the 7 year old to watch and continue to let the 7 year old play a game that is rated as suitable for teenagers. There are many other things the 7 year old should be doing with their free time... This is on the adults involved.
both are at fault

Parents and gaurdians need better supervision

streamers need to stop actively catering to children when the content is not suitable for children

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
is he worse than ren and stimpy

my parents weren't too hot on ren and stimpy

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Youtube is garbage, thats not just limited to Ninja.

Nickelodeon is like Shakespeare next to most of the crap that is created on YT. The good stuff usually has like 500 views...

Not sure why so many parents give their kids access to YT at such young ages.

The average none gaming adult doesn't know what crap YouTube has. If you haven't fallen into the wrong algorithm the videos you get are mostly ok.

What I feel YouTube should change is to make the YouTube Kids app one that is curated by parents via a primary account. Only channels and videos approved by parents can appear on there and the primary account should have watch at least 1 video before it can be added. Let parents choose specifically what is allowed and what isn't.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you're not in a voice chat or text, which part of Fortnite could teach a child to have violent outbursts when they lose?

have you never been around a child?

it is common for a young child to not handle losses or challenges well.

i remember playing a platforming game with a 7 year old and he started crying and throwing a fit when he kept dying in the same part over and over.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why there are so many people coming into this thread like it's a "my electronic babysitter fucked my kid up" thread and not one person relaying their experiences with their child regarding the reinforcement of negative behaviour through an entertainer they enjoy.

Is this normal? Do we just not read OPs anymore?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
All things in moderation. Watching Ninja a little isn't going to ruin a child. Absolute devotion to a person, content, or whatever might. It's on parents to help foster a better environment for the child. It shouldn't come as a shocker that a 7-year-old who is given a lot of access to the Internet comes out with some unsavory attitudes.
I'm not surprised or shocked at all but it's not something I would want my little one doing. Being a parent myself puts me in a position to decide what's appropriate for them at their young age. We are more prone to exposing our child to positive loving ideologies.
And of course parents Will decide for themselves how to parent. No judgment there.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know why there are so many people coming into this thread like it's a "my electronic babysitter fucked my kid up" thread and not one person relaying their experiences with their child regarding the reinforcement of negative behaviour through an entertainer they enjoy.

Because the entertainer and game in question are inappropriate for a 7 year old child.

Do you have kids? Young children don't handle losing very well.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017

Umm, was this serious? Even babies understand the concept of not getting their way and resort to lashing out however they are capable. It is absolutely on the adults taking care of them to provide them avenues on how to deal with their emotions appropriately. I don't care for Ninja either, but he is hardly the primary culprit here.

both are at fault

Parents and gaurdians need better supervision

streamers need to stop actively catering to children when the content is not suitable for children

I would also completely agree with this too.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Developing kids should not be learning behaviors from Ninja or any person that displays aggression like that. And this age of YT content being consumed by kids is kinda scary.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Can't we say that for any medium. There is no way to control it. It is like removing yourself from a bad group of friends . Just due to Ninja being popular makes this situation stand out and make people gravitate. Did the kid also stop playing competitive games, is he getting help with his certain situation etc... As there can be many factors and not watching Ninja is one.

Edit: just read the thread and the fact that a 7 year now shrugs after losing due to different channels is kind of weird.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beside Ninja and his negative influence it's imo scary that a 7-year-old is already so obsessed with and influenced by a game and streamers in general. I am so glad all that stuff wasn't around when I was a kid and young teenager. I fear it would've become an obsession for me too and school or real life friends would've become an afterthought.
I also feel sorry for parents of today having to deal with all that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The average none gaming adult doesn't know what crap YouTube has. If you haven't fallen into the wrong algorithm the videos you get are mostly ok.

What I feel YouTube should change is to make the YouTube Kids app one that is curated by parents via a primary account. Only channels and videos approved by parents can appear on there and the primary account should have watch at least 1 video before it can be added. Let parents choose specifically what is allowed and what isn't.
This is the old man in me but YT seems like cancer for the brains of young children. I have seen the crap that kids watch on youtube and its really terrible (at least IMO). I don't care so much if a teenager is wasting his or her time watching a lot of videos of someone else playing a game, but young children are still developing and honestly should be spending more of their time doing something productive.

Thats the irony of the internet. You could literally learn how to do almost anything on the internet if you actually make the choice to do so. But most people just waste it watching cat videos, racist shit or other people playing videogames.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017

The point is less about the game in question and more the manchild masquerading as a role-model.

You guys seem to have issues with Ninja and that may be coloring your view on this story.

For example, if a 7 year old was watching a T-rated movie which contained swearing, and the kid started mimicking that swearing - would you be blaming the movie and actors for doing what they are doing on screen?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys seem to have issues with Ninja and that may be coloring your view on this story.

For example, if a 7 year old was watching a T-rated movie which contained swearing, and the kid started mimicking that swearing - would you be blaming the movie and actors for doing what they are doing on screen?

The issue very clearly outlined in the original post that none of you read is that Ninja's behaviour was reinforcing pre-existing negative behaviour the child picked up from their abusive father, that expressing ridiculous amounts of anger was an acceptable thing to do and an appropriate way to get what you wanted.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
... has anyone verified this history?

But yeah, streamers are not into the job of education kids around the world. Let's all realize that.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is the old man in me but YT seems like cancer for the brains of young children. I have seen the crap that kids watch on youtube and its really terrible (at least IMO). I don't care so much if a teenager is wasting his or her time watching a lot of videos of someone else playing a game, but young children are still developing and honestly should be spending more of their time doing something productive.

Thats the irony of the internet. You could literally learn how to do almost anything on the internet if you actually make the choice to do so. But most people just waste it watching cat videos, racist shit or other people playing videogames.

I started a job where I have to reach children and sometimes need videos that can entertain and educate kids at the same time. So I've been discovering a lot of channels that make short videos that can help kids understand science and history better. There is a lot of good content out there from channels who don't feel like they need to make a new video every day or every few hours.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Are you suggesting that Ninja is somehow a healthy role-model fro a seven-year-old?
The issue very clearly outlined in the original post that none of you read is that Ninja's behaviour was reinforcing pre-existing negative behaviour the child picked up from their abusive father, that expressing ridiculous amounts of anger was an acceptable thing to do and an appropriate way to get what you wanted.

Again, your problems are with Ninja and that is fine. I don't disagree about his character either.

But why is the 7 year old watching/playing something that they shouldn't necessarily be watching/playing? That's where many of us are coming from. If the child has pre-existing negative behavior, he shouldn't be encouraged to watch something that reinforces that, let alone something that is deemed inappropriate until they double their age.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Children wanting to win and not understanding why they don't? Play with a 7 year old some time and wax the shit out of them at whatever game it is, watch what happens lol.
have you never been around a child?

it is common for a young child to not handle losses or challenges well.

i remember playing a platforming game with a 7 year old and he started crying and throwing a fit when he kept dying in the same part over and over.
Because the entertainer and game in question are inappropriate for a 7 year old child.

Do you have kids? Young children don't handle losing very well.
Umm, was this serious? Even babies understand the concept of not getting their way and resort to lashing out however they are capable. It is absolutely on the adults taking care of them to provide them avenues on how to deal with their emotions appropriately. I don't care for Ninja either, but he is hardly the primary culprit here.

I would also completely agree with this too.

There was never a dispute that children don't handle losing well.

I asked which parts of fortnite teach a child to have violent outbursts.

The overwhelming response is that they naturally have those tendencies. That's not being disputed. I agree with that.

I also agree it is on the parents to teach the child how to deal with their emotions, which was done here. And it was done by limiting access to a personality who quite literally is justifying angry outbursts and being a toxic asshole.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Again, your problems are with Ninja and that is fine. I don't disagree about his character either.

But why is the 7 year old watching/playing something that they shouldn't necessarily be watching/playing? That's where many of us are coming from. If the child has pre-existing negative behavior, he shouldn't be encouraged to watch something that reinforces that, let alone something that is deemed inappropriate until they double their age.
Why are you trying to turn the conversation away from Ninja when this thread is about Ninja's influence specifically.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's worth considering that there doesn't have to be a single party responsible. Parents should have some level of interest in the media that their children consume, which isn't something new to streamers. But streamers are also targeting very young audiences, which makes it alarming when they promote harmful messages to those audiences.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
When we tried to explain that he needed to get better, he grew so angry with us that he began to hit us. When we tried to explain that he was 7 and didn't necessarily have the physical response time as someone else, he would simply scream that we were calling him 'bad' and run away. When we tried to explain that he was playing on a Switch and Ninja on a keyboard and mouse so Ninja would have different response times, he would tell us we were 'stupid idiots who didn't know what we were talking about'. He would get so angry at the very idea that he lost that it was impossible for him to get better. He would throw his Switch. He would punch things. He would hit his brother. He was a child who had no nuanced understanding of his rage.
Yeah no shit, he's a child. Who thinks explaining response times to a kid is going to work?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't have a problem with Ninja. I'm not 12 so my interest in him is pretty low.

This thread with the original post you didn't read is about circumventing the acquisition of bad behaviour, especially ones exacerbated by coming from a bad situation like this kid did. It's about looking at a guy who freaks out when he loses at video games, how that can be imprinted onto the younger viewers he is absolutely intentionally courting, and how that can affect the kids who watch him. Not once was it ever suggested that Ninja's behaviour has to change; the entire focus was one person relating their experience with their child's specific circumstances.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its almost like random people online with zero qualifications shouldn't be trusted to overtake your children's daily media consumption

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I started a job where I have to reach children and sometimes need videos that can entertain and educate kids at the same time. So I've been discovering a lot of channels that make short videos that can help kids understand science and history better. There is a lot of good content out there from channels who don't feel like they need to make a new video every day or every few hours.
I agree that there is a lot of amazing content on YT. But the good stuff never seems to get a lot of views.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying hours upon hours of Twitch streamers and most likely following Instagram Influencers... Is bad for Mental Health!?

giphy.gif

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Speaking from personal experience with Minecraft and Roblox streamers and my son in particular, we've managed to narrow down to about 4 streamers who just play and goof around and have fun. The Itfunneh team are parental favourites lol

I mean you'd think Minecraft wouldn't get a kid wound up, but one of the streams he watched was constantly about mods, and his asks for the game reflected that and so on.

Generally tho, we found the best way to calm him down has been to limit YT access generally.