• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My concern about reducing resolution is if I loose picture quality

I'm saying most games will be running natively at or below 1440p anyway, so that won't be a trade-off aside from the subset of games that happen to have ~4K modes. Any games that are higher-res like that will supersample down to 1440p, so even for cases where there's a higher resolution to be had, that detail isn't totally going to waste.

Just to be clear, most of your games aren't rendering at 4K just because the console is in that mode; They most likely just have nice IQ and are benefitting from the good system-level scaler. You're basically losing nothing by switching to the 1440p mode, and would then be getting the added benefits of high refresh rates.

miguelfcp

May 6, 2022
Portugal
I'm saying most games will be running natively at or below 1440p anyway, so that won't be a trade-off aside from the subset of games that happen to have ~4K modes. Any games that are higher-res like that will supersample down to 1440p, so even for cases where there's a higher resolution to be had, that detail isn't totally going to waste.

Just to be clear, most of your games aren't rendering at 4K just because the console is in that mode; They most likely just have nice IQ and are benefitting from the good system-level scaler. You're basically losing nothing by switching to the 1440p mode, and would then be getting the added benefits of high refresh rates.
Thank you very much for the explanation.

I'll use 1440p 120hz then. :)

EDiT: launched Halo 5 and the output changed to 4K60Hz. Why this happened? Going back to home menu goes to 1440p120Hz

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
I just bought a new series X to replace my old series X as it had some hardware issues so I will send that one back.
Is there anything I should do before getting rid of the old console? For example is there something I should deactivate so that this is not my primary console any more and then is there something I should do on the new console?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I just bought a new series X to replace my old series X as it had some hardware issues so I will send that one back.
Is there anything I should do before getting rid of the old console? For example is there something I should deactivate so that this is not my primary console any more and then is there something I should do on the new console?

Xbox Support

Your new console will be set as the home console during set up or at least give the option. If not then just set it as such nbd.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Thank god! No holding back anymore now, eh?
Okay, I should stop those unfunny jokes.

I am curious how well this fares and if developers go back and adjust their games.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019
Sorry for the abrupt change of subject , but man, was watching EVO and SFV to not be on xbox kind of killed* the genre in the xbox platform.

Glad that Melty Blood and KoF XV was launched in Xbox and SFVI is launching in the future too.
I hope that Crossplay also helps us to find better games.

* Not an english speaker, so maybe is a poor choice of words, what I meant was, there are few people playing in the platform, and we missed some important games too. (GranBlue, BlazBlue Tag, a lot of Guilty Gear games, The new remaster for Pesona Arena...)

Edit: Thought this was OT hahaha

Last edited:

Manjaster

Aug 23, 2018
Sorry for asking a noob question (I'm only 3 months with the Series X - my first Xbox) but how to pin game icons on start screen/icons row?

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone else primarily shop browsing by scrolling down to "people also like". Showing 500 games.

If not. You should try it out.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Does anyone's series x start when you turn your TV on? It's so annoying. I already disabled HDMI CEC, changed the console to another port, messed with settings both on tv and console and nothing.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Exactly, as far as I know only certain ports allow that function.

Already tried and it keeps happening. I can live with that but I hope it's not a sign of something worse.
If you've disabled the hdmi CEC features on the console and it's still happening use the "report a problem" tool to submit it as a bug.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Anyone here that has a decent PC and also an Xbox? I am really tempted to just go with an Series X for the next few years instead of upgrading my PC. I can still play most games with ok-ish mid settings (R5 2600 with Vega 56 GPU) but sitting on the desktop all the time is killing me. I have a 65 inch 4k 120 Hz TV and I tried to connect it to my PC but the experience wasn't great. Too much getting up for games that aren't on Steam or when something didn't work and also some problems because both TV and monitor have different resolutions and refresh rates which some games didn't like. HDR was also problematic.
I need some convenience in my old days where I can press a button and just play.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Anyone here that has a decent PC and also an Xbox? I am really tempted to just go with an Series X for the next few years instead of upgrading my PC. I can still play most games with ok-ish mid settings (R5 2600 with Vega 56 GPU) but sitting on the desktop all the time is killing me. I have a 65 inch 4k 120 Hz TV and I tried to connect it to my PC but the experience wasn't great. Too much getting up for games that aren't on Steam or when something didn't work and also some problems because both TV and monitor have different resolutions and refresh rates which some games didn't like. HDR was also problematic.
I need some convenience in my old days where I can press a button and just play.
I have a 3060 Ti/5600x PC which is a decent mid-range build. I also bought a Series X (and some S...) because like you said the couch convenience can win over being in the desk. Especially with remote work all the time it can be nice to change up the environment just a bit. Cross saves in many titles and game pass ultimate make it an easy ecosystem to be in. I'd recommend getting a Series X and then upgrade your PC with new components after they release down the line if you can budget it.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do. I was also lucky enough to get a PS5. I have a Switch also.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I did. PC to TV is kind of annoying to juggle, and getting XSX/PS5 quality settings would have required much more than the cost of a XSX (I had a 3770k and 970 4gb but upgraded recently to a 1060 6gb because they're so cheap now). I got a PS5 too, but it's the most redundant console I have. It's basically for PS4/5 exclusives, subsidized by selling my PS4.

Quite happy so far, but I feel like in 10 years or so I might regret not having so much of my backlog on Steam.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
3080 here.

I play on Xbox because sometimes I prefer the simplicity. Steam is nice, but I'm never playing some type of games on PC.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
My Series X went through a long period where half the time I'd turn it on, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I'd have to go into settings and select my home Wi-Fi and type in the password for it to connect, and then everything would be fine. Not the biggest deal in the world, and this also didn't happen to me for at least a handful of months. But last week it started to happen again, just a little annoying, not a huge problem.

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Ok, so how do you upload a custom gamer pic these days? I haven't changed mine in years and now the method that I used in the past, no longer works. I used to change it via one drive but that is no longer an option, only file explorer is. And the Xbox app won't allow you to upload custom pics either.. so errr, help?

Edit: the app is working now - must of been having a funny five minutes or something

Last edited:

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Hmm has anyone experienced your tv remote not being able to adjust the volume or mute the tv when using your Xbox Series X? I all of sudden can't control the volume with my remote anymore. I have an LG CX

Edit: fixed it!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
My Series X dashboard is absolutely chugging lately. It's doing my head in. I use energy saving mode so I can't imagine a power cycle will help. What gives?