• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Had one since day one, with 2 years of Game Pass, to hold me over, until a new PS5 model comes a long. Haven't had any performance issues, and the console is dead silent, and super small. Really impressed with it over all. It's a perfect Game Pass machine, if you can live with the lower resolution.

Thanks for the reply, Nuclear Detergent. I've had the console for a couple of days now and it's a great entry Game Pass machine indeed! I've been playing Forza Horizon and Flight Sim.

I've got a mostly quiet PS5, but it's got nothing on this machine. I can barely tell it's on, lol. Super impressive.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
In case you haven't done it yet, register your console to get the warranty set up. Especially for controllers. Stick drift is definitely a thing on these new models and I've just received my carbon black replacement via UPS after only a week.
+1

My Elite 1 has a drift now :(

Waited until MS sold the Elite 2 so I could buy it with the Microsoft complete warranty. Gdi.

Oct 27, 2017
How are people cleaning the inner fan? I was cleaning my systems and surrounding areas and noticed there's some dust on the blades. Thoughts?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
+1

My Elite 1 has a drift now :(

Waited until MS sold the Elite 2 so I could buy it with the Microsoft complete warranty. Gdi.
I wasn't sure about the complete warranty but it's better than one year's cover, I guess. As for build quality, I remember dropping my 360 controllers many times and they worked perfectly. In fact, I don't ever recall them breaking (quite apart from the consoles themselves, lol) These new efforts seem much more fragile.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester
Decided today to sell my Series X in hope there will be a limited edition Halo version, just bought a 3060Ti so can still enjoy my Xbox games and have a Series S until then :D

Please MS!

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know how to try and get a replacement controller in the UK?

I got my console through XAA via Game if that helps.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure about the complete warranty but it's better than one year's cover, I guess. As for build quality, I remember dropping my 360 controllers many times and they worked perfectly. In fact, I don't ever recall them breaking (quite apart from the consoles themselves, lol) These new efforts seem much more fragile.
Yeah, the 360 controllers didn't have this issue.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
My sound intermittently crackles, pauses, or drops out on the Series X. I am mainly using my Sennheiser 598 HDs plugged into the controller, but occasionally just output sound via soundbar as well.

What's the fix? Audio is set to stereo uncompressed in settings.
I wish I could offer the fix, because I have this issue also. I'm using the official Xbox wireless headset with my Series X. The stuttering/dropouts only seem to happen in menus or cutscenes, never gameplay. Not all games do it, but The Ascent definitely does, as does Gears 5.

Anybody have any advice for us?

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else is having delayed Achievement notifications issues on their Series X?

It started a few days away for me.

I'm playing The Ascent right now and when I unlock an achievement, I get the notification on my PC instantly but then it takes a minute or two before it shows up on my console.

Not a big deal obviously it it's odd.
Yeah I've noticed this too. I get a notification pop up on my phone and then there's a delay before it shows up on the console. Also had party notifications show on my phone but never appear on my console.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Anybody else is having delayed Achievement notifications issues on their Series X?

It started a few days away for me.

I'm playing The Ascent right now and when I unlock an achievement, I get the notification on my PC instantly but then it takes a minute or two before it shows up on my console.

Not a big deal obviously it it's odd.

Not today but yesterday and the day before i did not receive some notifications on the console but received them on the phone.

Is there a way to enable gamedvr.com to check my screenshots? It's not updating since a few months ago.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
I wish I could offer the fix, because I have this issue also. I'm using the official Xbox wireless headset with my Series X. The stuttering/dropouts only seem to happen in menus or cutscenes, never gameplay. Not all games do it, but The Ascent definitely does, as does Gears 5.

Anybody have any advice for us?
The latest alpha build patch notes say it's fixed! I'm not an Insider and I don't know how long it normally takes for these fixes to reach the main build but hopefully not long.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Found a Series S on the shelf at a Meijer in the states, Is this becoming more normal for Series S's now?

Also, when's the last time a Series X was up on Best Buy?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Is Lost Odyssey ever going on sale again...? :(

Edit: Yup, too late. I bought it (replaying some older FF's made this irresistible...)

13b3784f377701598cccc0809a595457.jpg

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago I copied all my Xbox 360 saves onto an official memory card. Since games like Fallout 3 are on Gamepass, I am tempted to go abs play my save again, but obviously the memory card has nowhere to fit. Anyone ever come across or used a USB to Xbox 360 memory card reader?

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Years ago I copied all my Xbox 360 saves onto an official memory card. Since games like Fallout 3 are on Gamepass, I am tempted to go abs play my save again, but obviously the memory card has nowhere to fit. Anyone ever come across or used a USB to Xbox 360 memory card reader?
It might be worth the time investment for you to just buy an old 360 from Gamestop or something, set it up and insert you card and upload to the cloud, then just return the system. AFAIK theres a 7 day return window for used consoles and games.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
would you have happened to have backed those up into the cloud before putting them on the memory card? If you have Ultimate you can boot up Fallout on the Cloud (i think) and check if your save is still there that way.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
would you have happened to have backed those up into the cloud before putting them on the memory card? If you have Ultimate you can boot up Fallout on the Cloud (i think) and check if your save is still there that way.

I thought that too, but I loaded Fallout 3 and it didn't have a Continue option. Unless I need to go to the Series S settings somewhere and initiate a cloud-save download?

I don't remember backing them up to the cloud, unless it's something that occurred automatically. It was so long ago that I did it!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It might be worth the time investment for you to just buy an old 360 from Gamestop or something, set it up and insert you card and upload to the cloud, then just return the system. AFAIK theres a 7 day return window for used consoles and games.

Thanks, yeah I'll consider this option I think.

I've just seen £2 USB to 360 memory unit adapters, gotta be worth a go for that price.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a media app that allows you to stream music from a PC or Android phone to the Xbox so that it can play in the background while in-game?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good 3.5 hdd enclosure that works with the hard drive sleep feature in the settings so it doesn't stay on all the time?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
my dashboard performance went to shit on X today and i did nothing just chilled on the home screen. Is this some kind of bug?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Every day I use my series x and every day I have connection issues. Loses the WiFi or hotspot for a few mins at a time, or completely so I have to reconnect. It's getting really tiring now..

Sorry, just wanted a moan.

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
I tried both Poweramp and Samsung Music but I couldn't figure out how to connect either of them to my Xbox. And yeah, they're both on the same network.
when your playing the track on samsung music press the button circled and you should see the pop up, then select console, if you have a samsung phone make sure you have smart view enabled

Screenshot-20210804-225925-Samsung-Music.jpg
Screenshot-20210804-225933-Smart-View.jpg

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Anyone ever had HDR issue with their Series X? I have been playing with no issue but today when I go back to any of my games that triggers HDR the screen and game are very dark/dim.

Usually this happens when you idle for a bit and goes away when you click back and play, but the game just trigger it's quick resume/game response goes back and is just dim. Pressing the Xbox button brings up the guide and it is also dim, but when I click home or Games & Apps it's ok.

Reset didn't seem to help. Cycling the games didn't seem to help. Could active downloads affect them for some reason?

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
when your playing the track on samsung music press the button circled and you should see the pop up, then select console, if you have a samsung phone make sure you have smart view enabled
Alright, that works but I'm not able to use any of the music controls like previous, next, repeat, etc. from my Xbox, only from my phone. All I can do from the Xbox is pause the music. Is it supposed to be like that?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I bought the 1TB storage expansion for my Series X the other day... I wasn't expecting how small it was going to be.

I had seen people unbox and install the thing in the past but for some reason my impression always imagined it would be just slightly less wide and tall than a credit card. Nope, thing is roughly the surface area of two standard sized USB thumb drives next to each other and thinner than my car key fob. Crazy tiny for a full-speed, high-end SSD in a proprietary slot-in form factor.

The funny thing is that after getting it, I've not felt super compelled to download much. I'll just let it grow out in time, but at least I don't need to uninstall as aggressively as I have in the past few months going forward. Doesn't help that I have a data cap from my ISP, either.

That aside, I had a question about Halo Master Chief Collection and 120fps mode. I changed my FOV and I thought one of the earliest blog updates for MCC post-Series X launch indicated that 120fps mode gets disabled if I change the FOV to anything outside of the default. I just finished a full playthrough of CE Anniversary with a widened FOV and it felt noticeably smooth to play... but I don't know if it was actually 120fps due to the blog post. Was I actually getting both 120fps and expanded FOV? Or was I just completely placebo on 60fps since I set the FOV beyond the default?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's technically CFexpress Type B, so the form factor isn't proprietary.

cfexpress-xbox-series-s-930x487.jpg

cfexpress-sandisk-xbox-series-x.jpg

But it's a PCIe 4.0 x2 card, and CFexpress cards are PCIe 3.0 right now. So in a way, "ahead" of the CFexpress standard at the moment.

Oh, neat. Yeah those shots definitely do a good job capturing the actual sizing that I somehow misconceived before I bought it, too!

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Alright, that works but I'm not able to use any of the music controls like previous, next, repeat, etc. from my Xbox, only from my phone. All I can do from the Xbox is pause the music. Is it supposed to be like that?
Unfortunately that's the only way I have been able to get it to work I believe it's because Microsoft stripped out all of the groove features and just left it bare bones. The only other way is to use Spotify.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
That aside, I had a question about Halo Master Chief Collection and 120fps mode. I changed my FOV and I thought one of the earliest blog updates for MCC post-Series X launch indicated that 120fps mode gets disabled if I change the FOV to anything outside of the default. I just finished a full playthrough of CE Anniversary with a widened FOV and it felt noticeably smooth to play... but I don't know if it was actually 120fps due to the blog post. Was I actually getting both 120fps and expanded FOV? Or was I just completely placebo on 60fps since I set the FOV beyond the default?

I believe the 'FOV disabled when using 120hz' thing was true at launch, but they later patched the game to let you use both at the same time.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I believe the 'FOV disabled when using 120hz' thing was true at launch, but they later patched the game to let you use both at the same time.

Cool, it definitely FEELS that way with my recent Doom Eternal, Titanfall 2, and Tony Hawk 120fps experiences feeling more or less the same smooth response. The blog post in question also seemed to suggest that if I had 120Hz output enabled, the FOV slider would disable entirely which does not seem to be the case.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Anyone ever had HDR issue with their Series X? I have been playing with no issue but today when I go back to any of my games that triggers HDR the screen and game are very dark/dim.

Usually this happens when you idle for a bit and goes away when you click back and play, but the game just trigger it's quick resume/game response goes back and is just dim. Pressing the Xbox button brings up the guide and it is also dim, but when I click home or Games & Apps it's ok.

Reset didn't seem to help. Cycling the games didn't seem to help. Could active downloads affect them for some reason?

Occasionally when I switch from a game to the hone screen and back again it screws up the HDR, yes. I just restart to fix it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Occasionally when I switch from a game to the hone screen and back again it screws up the HDR, yes. I just restart to fix it.
So it went away by itself after I put it in rest mode and came back.

I tried to do a restart and it failed. Took a long time and I just had to force it off.

I tried doing everything but nothing made it work. totally weird and first time something like this happens.

Like the dim screen I get and usually using the controller, changing the game, bringing up the guide makes it get brighter just not this time.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
So it went away by itself after I put it in rest mode and came back.

I tried to do a restart and it failed. Took a long time and I just had to force it off.

I tried doing everything but nothing made it work. totally weird and first time something like this happens.

Like the dim screen I get and usually using the controller, changing the game, bringing up the guide makes it get brighter just not this time.

If it happens often then maybe exchange it while it's still in warranty?