• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey people, I have a quick question. Is the Series X worth it alone for Game Pass? I wanna buy this thing but with the only intent of playing games through Game Pass. May I ask if I could still play the games I download through GP if my internet dips? Also how much is Game Pass Ultimate yearly, for real, not the do this and do that to get this cheap price? Thanks!

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey people, I have a quick question. Is the Series X worth it alone for Game Pass? I wanna buy this thing but with the only intent of playing games through Game Pass. May I ask if I could still play the games I download through GP if my internet dips? Also how much is Game Pass Ultimate yearly, for real, not the do this and do that to get this cheap price? Thanks!

it would be worth it to me

you don't need an active internet connection

without any discounts, ultimate is $15/month and has no annual plan. As a new subscriber it would be silly to pay that though

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

On normal pricing, Game Pass Ultimate is $15/month ($180/year). I do think of it as the price of 3 day-1 games per year, at least on last-gen pricing...

I do think Game Pass Ultimate is a good enough value at this point to sustain ownership of a current-gen Xbox entirely on its own. You get almost every single Microsoft Games Studio game available day 1 via Game Pass, so far Game Pass has managed to get some good day-1 Game Pass titles from third parties on occasion (but I think this is infrequent enough to still not be a matter of guarantee in your consideration), and the rest of the lineup in Game Pass is very well-curated for variety and quality.

Game Pass titles that are more than 4 months old (maybe 3 months) get an automatic 10% discount applied if you decide to buy, and Game Pass also gives out a small range of perks every month -- free trials for other subscrip services like Discord Nitro, Disney+, etc, or small DLC packages for some free to play games.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I have an XSX despite having a 3060 Ti PC and I have yet to buy a game. I think it's worth it. Do you have any other consoles and such? In the end it's a luxury device and I enjoy it a lot.

GPU is $15 a month, so $180 a year. However, you really ought to consider the conversion trick if you do get one because even by buying Gold at $60 a year that's 3 years of GPU at $180 ($60 x 3) instead of $540...

If you have your Xbox set as a home console and you go offline you SHOULD be able to play Game Pass offline. I tested it a while ago and I was able to launch Hellblade (a Game Pass game I only downloaded and never launched) while offline. Some have reported issues, but idk their setup.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Its absolutely worth it just on how much you would save alone.

I don't believe you need an active connection because your Xbox would know when your GP sub expires from it's last log in connection.

It may not be worth it to buy a year all at once unless you are all in on Xbox and that where you okay everything. I highly recommend, if your only getting GP and not ultimate which include Xbox live, to go month at a time which is only 10 bucks. That way, if some big release comes out that month on PlayStation or PC that takes your limited time, you can just let it lapse and come back to it when you have time.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it would be worth it to me

you don't need an active internet connection

without any discounts, ultimate is $15/month and has no annual plan. As a new subscriber it would be silly to pay that though
Isn't that cheaper than the old Xbox Live/PSN subs? The value itself is great instead of shelling out $60 for a game monthly. Thanks for your answer!
On normal pricing, Game Pass Ultimate is $15/month ($180/year). I do think of it as the price of 3 day-1 games per year, at least on last-gen pricing...

I do think Game Pass Ultimate is a good enough value at this point to sustain ownership of a current-gen Xbox entirely on its own. You get almost every single Microsoft Games Studio game available day 1 via Game Pass, so far Game Pass has managed to get some good day-1 Game Pass titles from third parties on occasion (but I think this is infrequent enough to still not be a matter of guarantee in your consideration), and the rest of the lineup in Game Pass is very well-curated for variety and quality.

Game Pass titles that are more than 4 months old (maybe 3 months) get an automatic 10% discount applied if you decide to buy, and Game Pass also gives out a small range of perks every month -- free trials for other subscrip services like Discord Nitro, Disney+, etc, or small DLC packages for some free to play games.
I'm only considering GPU because of Bethesda but when you put all those perks you've mentioned it really is a very sweet deal, thanks for your response!
I have an XSX despite having a 3060 Ti PC and I have yet to buy a game. I think it's worth it. Do you have any other consoles and such? In the end it's a luxury device and I enjoy it a lot.

GPU is $15 a month, so $180 a year. However, you really ought to consider the conversion trick if you do get one because even by buying Gold at $60 a year that's 3 years of GPU at $180 ($60 x 3) instead of $540...

If you have your Xbox set as a home console and you go offline you SHOULD be able to play Game Pass offline. I tested it a while ago and I was able to launch Hellblade (a Game Pass game I only downloaded and never launched) while offline. Some have reported issues, but idk their setup.
Thanks for your response! I'll look into that 3 year conversion trick. I have a Playstation and a Switch but GPU having Live bundled with tons of games seems to sweet to pass up. You know, I would actually consider just getting a laptop but the prices today are insane so since the Series is a beast for a very reasonable price, it's hard to not just go this route.
Its absolutely worth it just on how much you would save alone.

I don't believe you need an active connection because your Xbox would know when your GP sub expires from it's last log in connection.

It may not be worth it to buy a year all at once unless you are all in on Xbox and that where you okay everything. I highly recommend, if your only getting GP and not ultimate which include Xbox live, to go month at a time which is only 10 bucks. That way, if some big release comes out that month on PlayStation or PC that takes your limited time, you can just let it lapse and come back to it when you have time.
I want Ultimate because I have not played online in consoles and I want to have that experience now. I will still absolutely buy a PS5 because I love Playstation but I really want my share of Fallout and Elder Scrolls so Game Pass looks like a really great deal considering Day 1 for all the first party titles. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks everyone :)

Oct 25, 2017
Oliver James I bought a console just for game pass. No plans on buying any games that aren't play anywhere (so I would also own it on PC). Just using this until I get my hands on a GPU. It's not even that much better than my current GPU lol, but w/e, I will sell it when I am done with it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XSX with 3 years xblg converted to gpu is worth every penny.

I also bought it to get in on Bethesda exclusives, but I found a lot of great games I missed last gen. Forza horizon 4 is incredible, it's now one of my favourite series for example.

As a piece of hardware and ecosystem, XSX is the finest console I've ever owned. I really mean that, it's powerful, silent, beautifully built, the OS's quick resume features and smart assistant integration makes it super fast to get back to your games. The controller might not have advanced features but it's very comfortable and refined. Just a great overall system.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Isn't that cheaper than the old Xbox Live/PSN subs? The value itself is great instead of shelling out $60 for a game monthly. Thanks for your answer!
I'm only considering GPU because of Bethesda but when you put all those perks you've mentioned it really is a very sweet deal, thanks for your response!
Thanks for your response! I'll look into that 3 year conversion trick. I have a Playstation and a Switch but GPU having Live bundled with tons of games seems to sweet to pass up. You know, I would actually consider just getting a laptop but the prices today are insane so since the Series is a beast for a very reasonable price, it's hard to not just go this route.
I want Ultimate because I have not played online in consoles and I want to have that experience now. I will still absolutely buy a PS5 because I love Playstation but I really want my share of Fallout and Elder Scrolls so Game Pass looks like a really great deal considering Day 1 for all the first party titles. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks everyone :)
If you plan on getting a PS5 and just want a game pass machine consider a Series S unless you want that premium 4K experience first and foremost :p

You can get a Series S + the $60x3 3 years of GPU for less than the cost of a XSX.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you plan on getting a PS5 and just want a game pass machine consider a Series S unless you want that premium 4K experience first and foremost :p

You can get a Series S + the $60x3 3 years of GPU for less than the cost of a XSX.
This too, Series S is pretty great. My biggest issue was the 360gb hdd space, it was just too tight, even when using and external drive. Enhanced games that need to run on internal eats up that space quick. The 800gigs on the series x is much better and worth the extra cost alone imo.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I have been having more controller issues lately, even with the controller update.

Tonight was weird.

Opened Valhalla and it hung up on the splash screen saying which resume. Had to quit.

Then the console shut itself off. Controller stayed lit. Wouldn't turn on console.

Manually pressed physical console button and powered on. Controller started blinking and paired.

What the heck.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have been having more controller issues lately, even with the controller update.

Tonight was weird.

Opened Valhalla and it hung up on the splash screen saying which resume. Had to quit.

Then the console shut itself off. Controller stayed lit. Wouldn't turn on console.

Manually pressed physical console button and powered on. Controller started blinking and paired.

What the heck.

I've had occasions once or twice where I've pressed the button on the controller to turn it on and it's seemingly failed to "talk" to the console and just blinked forever, but on those occasions just taking out the batteries (to shut off the controller) and then trying again fixed it.

And I've definitely never had the kind of shit you're encountering, lol.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Oliver James if you want more value you can do the Microsoft rewards stuff. I just bought the Forza ultimate dlc on sale by redeeming 20€ worth of gift cards. All by having an extension in my browser searching bing in the background once a day.

Oct 27, 2017
Are controller connection issues common on the XSX? I have two controllers, pretty much only use the one I bought the rechargeable battery pack for. Probably three or four times a week, it will just stop talking to the console. I have to pop the battery pack out and back in to restore the connection; going through the sync process doesn't help. Every once in a while, not even the battery removal process helps, and I either have to hard reset the console, or power on my other controller and tell it to restart the system. I also occasionally run into issues where D-pad inputs or buttons presses continue to engage even after I stop pressing. I've been playing a lot of Dead Cells and the character will continue to run for a second when I let go of left or right on the D-pad, which can really fuck up a kill streak or cause me to take damage I wouldn't take otherwise.

I've had 2 instances where my controller de-syncs with the console. I'll leave the game inactive, walk away, come back like 5 minutes or so later, and the controller no longer works, despite the light still being on. To fix this, what worked for me is to just wait until the controller becomes disconnected and you get the disconnected message. I don't know the timeframe for this (10 minutes?). Once it becomes disconnected, I can just click on the Xbox button, and the controller works again.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I got my Series S yesterday, I dig it but there is one minor thing that really bugs me! When you hit the guide button for that little window of "manage app, quit app etc" it loads in low res for a split second before switching to HD. It's something that's not constantly on display but bugs me!

I think I also got a bum controller too, the A button sticks ever so slightly which is a shame.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I got my Series S yesterday, I dig it but there is one minor thing that really bugs me! When you hit the guide button for that little window of "manage app, quit app etc" it loads in low res for a split second before switching to HD. It's something that's not constantly on display but bugs me!

I think I also got a bum controller too, the A button sticks ever so slightly which is a shame.
The stickiness goes away usually after using it. Have had this happen a couple times in the past.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

Tonight was weird.

What the heck.

Do you use the instant on setting? I used to get weird stuff like this when using it. I switched to power saving and a lot of that stuff went away.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017

This is happening on all Xbox One and Series consoles, I believe; at least I see it both on my Series S and One S. Hopefully MS will fix it soon, as I find it very distracting.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Still need any help checking out areas on Tomb Raider? More than happy to grab additional videos/screenshots if you give me fast travel instructions 👍🏻
Thank you, but there's no need. I even tried to change the settings on my TV, it still looks washed out in some places and really dark in others.

I'm using this TV in my bedroom:
www.currys.co.uk

SAMSUNG UE43AU9000KXXU 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Bixby, Alexa & Google Assistant

See crystal clear & lifelike colour come to life; Enjoy smooth gameplay with a TV that ramps up the motion; Picture quality: 2800 PQI; HDR: HDR10+ / HDR10 / Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG); Catch-up TV & 4K streaming; TV PLUS; HDMI 2.1 x 1 / HDMI 2.0 x 2

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you, but there's no need. I even tried to change the settings on my TV, it still looks washed out in some places and really dark in others.
No worries. You could always try resetting your Xbox, it has the option to keep all your installed games & apps so it only takes a few minutes to set the console back to how you had it.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Have been testing both DTS and Dolby Atmos, it has improved a lot the sound of my headphones, after testing both I ended up liking DTS with the spatial setting the most.

Does anyone know if buying the license will let me be able to use it on both Xbox and PC?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I could be wrong but it's mainly dependent on the screen VRR range (e.g : 40-120Hz for LG tvs)
I think my TV falls under this range as well. Do you notice the frame drop as soon as it goes below 50fps?

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Have been testing both DTS and Dolby Atmos, it has improved a lot the sound of my headphones, after testing both I ended up liking DTS with the spatial setting the most.

Does anyone know if buying the license will let me be able to use it on both Xbox and PC?

Yes just download the apps from the windows store

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Ive been looking at the Sonos Arc to connect to my E9. Have you played any game in Dolby Atmos, Gears 5 perhaps? How does it sound?

No games yet, I'll try it out this weekend. Atmos via the Netflix app is great though. There are times it really does feel like stuff is behind or above you. Scares my puppy. Non-Atmos stuff such as Dolby Digital 5.1 also sounds incredible. Very happy with it.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
That's alright. I was just wondering if I got the right TV for the job basically.
Doh! It didn't make sense to me because somehow I missed that you'd linked to your TV in one of your responses! 😁

I'm no TV expert (I tend to jump on whatever RTings positions for my needs) but it looks like a decent TV and I'm surprised that you're not seeing the same bright colours I am in Tomb Raider. Might be worth joining an owners thread over at AVForums and seeing if anyone with the same TV can reproduce what you're seeing, they might have a suggestion on settings to change on either the TV or the Xbox.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Doh! It didn't make sense to me because somehow I missed that you'd linked to your TV in one of your responses! 😁

I'm no TV expert (I tend to jump on whatever RTings positions for my needs) but it looks like a decent TV and I'm surprised that you're not seeing the same bright colours I am in Tomb Raider. Might be worth joining an owners thread over at AVForums and seeing if anyone with the same TV can reproduce what you're seeing, they might have a suggestion on settings to change on either the TV or the Xbox.
It's not your fault, I made a quick edit after posting the comment in question.

I'm also surprised by the results in SotTR, but just to be clear, this issue seems to be exclusive to just one game. I'll take your suggestion and join an owners thread at AVForums if possible.

No like said above 40-120 is vrr range. LFC can help with lower frame games but I'm not sure if that functions without AMD Freesync enabled which disables Dolby Vision.
My TV supports AMD FreeSync. Do you notice frame-rate drops once it hits below 50fps?

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Halo_multiplayer.jpg

See you tomorrow.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
It's not your fault, I made a quick edit after posting the comment in question.

I'm also surprised by the results in SotTR, but just to be clear, this issue seems to be exclusive to just one game. I'll take your suggestion and join an owners thread at AVForums if possible.

My TV supports AMD FreeSync. Do you notice frame-rate drops once it hits below 50fps?
Freesync and vrr have same range it's LFC if your tv supports it can help smooth games at 30fps. I've noticed Destiny 1 which is 30fps and I feel it's judder is much smoother on my LG BX than any other tv I have I can not stand playing it on my game rooms TCL 55S535 which is 60hz no VRR and even my PC displays that have freesync but no LFC. This has been my experience.