• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I can't find the post I'm thinking of but someone on here had a similar problem as you recently. Some problem that seems to affect certain 360 games IIRC. I believe support sorted it out for them.
Might have been me? I posted a short while back about Arkham Knight, which I purchased at launch, going missing from my purchase history. The answer was to jump onto support and after some troubleshooting (including a console reset), purchase it again whereupon they issued me refund instantly. Frustrating that it happened in the first place but happy with how it was resolved.

Absolutely awful experience and probably put me off purchasing anything else on the series X and will only use it for Game Pass.
I understand you're upset but from your posts it sounds like you didn't even contact support channels to understand what had happened?

This may be a billing issue where your payment provider refused the sale after it completed and the licence was revoked. Or it could be a genuine issue on the Xbox marketplace side.
The important thing is speak to someone who can resolve the issue for you (the Xbox support team) and get the issue resolved rather than swear off buying anything ever again. Not only does this get the issue resolved for you, if there is a genuine problem on the back end there's a chance it gets identified and fixed so it doesn't happen again for anyone else.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, want to thank everyone for the advice, in hindsight I may have overreacted a little and i'd like to apologise for that, totally uncharactaristic of me. I tried to go about fixing the issue myself rather than just jumping on support but I've been speaking with Oscar from this thread who has been really helpful so far. I did get a refund instantly but if Oscar can help me out here, i'll go ahead and purchase again.

Thanks again for the advice.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, help me!!! So, I have an Xbox One X, not doing anything it at this point. Also, I have a One S in my bedroom on a 1080p tv. There is a couple Series S available. Would I be better off just using the One X on 1080p vs getting the Series S for 1080p? I'm trying to decide.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Ugh, help me!!! So, I have an Xbox One X, not doing anything it at this point. Also, I have a One S in my bedroom on a 1080p tv. There is a couple Series S available. Would I be better off just using the One X on 1080p vs getting the Series S for 1080p? I'm trying to decide.
Series S is a much better experience than both One consoles

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For 1080p? 100% the Series S. You get way more 60fps games at 1080p and you gain those SSD benefits. Plus, looking forward, you'll be able to continue to play Series S|X only games.

Also, not sure if this is still the case, but I sold my One X back in February for close to the same price I got a Series S for.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

Quick Resume is a literal game changer. If you switch between a lot of games, it's worth the convenience.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone. Ya'll made it much easier lol. My Cyperpunk 2077 LE Xbox One X is basically not being used at this point.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
So I feel like a dummy. I was convinced that my Series X controller was draining batteries like a monster. Every 2 to 3 days I had to swap things out.

Turns out I was just too dumb to realize my old Energizer rechargeable guys were 5+ years old. Bought some new Eneloops and I'm back in action with excellent battery life.

Also PSA for folks who haven't done it yet. Dolby Atmos for headphones is a revelation and I'm kind of bummed I didn't try it before now.

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone have issues with fan noise? My Series X fan kicks into over drive when I'm playing a game and it's in a pretty open spot.
As of about a week ago my SX started making a light hum of air through the top. Its minor but its deffinently a new sound compared to how absolute silent it has been since launch. Its only during graphically intensive games. Dashboard and lighter games its still silent. Maybe we are now reaching a point in which the consoles have gotten old enough and the thermal paste is starting to age? Seems a little soon.

Speaking of which, i have never dusted my series x or blown it out. Does anyone have a proper method to do so? Past console i would just hold a vacuum tube up against the vents or use duster. The series x design wise seems a little more complex.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of which, i have never dusted my series x or blown it out. Does anyone have a proper method to do so? Past console i would just hold a vacuum tube up against the vents or use duster. The series x design wise seems a little more complex.

I used my Datavac's small tube and placed it at the input vents at the back of the Series X, lowest setting. Dust came flying out the top vent and it looked very clean. No issues with sound.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
As of about a week ago my SX started making a light hum of air through the top. Its minor but its deffinently a new sound compared to how absolute silent it has been since launch. Its only during graphically intensive games. Dashboard and lighter games its still silent. Maybe we are now reaching a point in which the consoles have gotten old enough and the thermal paste is starting to age? Seems a little soon.

Thermal paste lasts years, not months. Definitely too soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I used my Datavac's small tube and placed it at the input vents at the back of the Series X, lowest setting. Dust came flying out the top vent and it looked very clean. No issues with sound.
Ive never heard of these. But the method seems about right for the design of the console. Canned duster the same?
Thermal paste lasts years, not months. Definitely too soon.
Yeah im aware lol. I just keep hearing people talk about their series x making noises over the past month after having not made a sound. It very well could be a firmware update that changed some fan profiles or something. Or dust?

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Ive never heard of these. But the method seems about right for the design of the console. Canned duster the same?

It's basically a reverse vaccum/blower for electronics. Does the same thing as canned duster. I was originally stumped by the design of the console until I saw a fair amount of dust in the intake vents on the back, worked flawlessly. I did power the console off, as even in standby the fan spins.

Oct 28, 2017
It's basically a reverse vaccum/blower for electronics. Does the same thing as canned duster. I was originally stumped by the design of the console until I saw a fair amount of dust in the intake vents on the back, worked flawlessly. I did power the console off, as even in standby the fan spins.
Thanks im looking into doing this now. On the conversation of thermal paste, my X1X thermal paste was hardened crumbs a year out from buying the console. Given MS's track record of paste its not completely out of character that they may have skimped on the Series X. I still havent seen any tear downs that would confirm this or not.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got a few questions here. At launch I bought a Series S because that is all I could get my hands on. I recently just nabbed a Series X though and it should be here tomorrow.

• Can I just plug and play my existing external HDD I have for Backwards compat games onto my Series X?
  • If I use the system transfer to transfer all of my "Optimized for Series X/S" games will those have the Series X assets in them or will I just need to redownload those games to get the full benefit of Series X on them?
  • Do saves just auto-sync? I'm not sure how exactly to make sure I move all my saves over to the new system.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Got a few questions here. At launch I bought a Series S because that is all I could get my hands on. I recently just nabbed a Series X though and it should be here tomorrow.

• Can I just plug and play my existing external HDD I have for Backwards compat games onto my Series X?
  • If I use the system transfer to transfer all of my "Optimized for Series X/S" games will those have the Series X assets in them or will I just need to redownload those games to get the full benefit of Series X on them?
  • Do saves just auto-sync? I'm not sure how exactly to make sure I move all my saves over to the new system.
Yes.
Smart Delivery will have you download a patch for the Series X assets if it's supported. You shouldn't have to redownload the full game.
Saves are all cloud based. It'll just work.

iLorah

Oct 31, 2017
Did this last week to have one at my desk if the TV is being used/easy for traveling and what not. I truly cannot believe how small it is... I love it. And hardly notice a difference compared to the X, though I've only really played Halo on it so far.

That's great to hear!! I've bit the bullet and ordered one today :D

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.
Smart Delivery will have you download a patch for the Series X assets if it's supported. You shouldn't have to redownload the full game.
Saves are all cloud based. It'll just work.

Good to hear. I use the PS5 as my main console so I'm used to uh... not as smooth of a transition lol. Every single time I download an old PS4 game I forget I have to manually download the save lol.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Musubi I don't know if you are keeping your XSS but you can simply copy games using the Network Transfer so the games are on both machines. I have both a XSX and a XSS console and the only game I have had to entirely redownload because of Smart Delivery is Dirt 5. And I have a lot of games downloaded. I have an external 1 TB SSD on both my XSX and my XSS and a 8 TB hdd attached to my XSX for a central library of games that have been played but I am waiting on future DLC (or were part of a MS Rewards Quest).

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Musubi I don't know if you are keeping your XSS but you can simply copy games using the Network Transfer so the games are on both machines. I have both a XSX and a XSS console and the only game I have had to entirely redownload because of Smart Delivery is Dirt 5. And I have a lot of games downloaded. I have an external 1 TB SSD on both my XSX and my XSS and a 8 TB hdd attached to my XSX for a central library of games that have been played but I am waiting on future DLC (or were part of a MS Rewards Quest).

Yup. That's what I plan to do is just transfer the on board storage stuff over. I just didn't know if it was going to automatically pull the Series X assets in the process or not. :)

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Musubi The assets are usually only slightly different. The update to Outriders (on the weekend) was about 6.5 GB on the XSX and the same update was about 4.5 GB on the XSS. Dirt 5 is the only game so far that was a completely different game (from my games anyway).

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Got my Series X hooked up yesterday and mostly liking the UI but I found this weird thing that keeps happening in the "My games & apps" screen where the menu options flicker a little when I go up and down. It's hard to describe so I made a very short video. Pay attention to the "All owned games" and "Queue" options, specifically the light gray box around the words. It doesn't seem to happen in the main settings menu.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Bought an Elite V2 controller against my better judgement. It's great, but damn do I miss the Series controller shape. also the home button feels different and it trips me up every time lol. I'm debating returning it, but I might just keep it until a Series 3 controller releases and use this one on my PC.

Yeah, want to thank everyone for the advice, in hindsight I may have overreacted a little and i'd like to apologise for that, totally uncharactaristic of me. I tried to go about fixing the issue myself rather than just jumping on support but I've been speaking with Oscar from this thread who has been really helpful so far. I did get a refund instantly but if Oscar can help me out here, i'll go ahead and purchase again.

Thanks again for the advice.
no worries, happens to the best of us. i've done it on more than one occasion lol

Got my Series X hooked up yesterday and mostly liking the UI but I found this weird thing that keeps happening in the "My games & apps" screen where the menu options flicker a little when I go up and down. It's hard to describe so I made a very short video. Pay attention to the "All owned games" and "Queue" options, specifically the light gray box around the words. It doesn't seem to happen in the main settings menu.

strange, I haven't noticed that. do you have auto dimming/local dimming turned on in your TV settings? could be a really aggressive local dimming feature causing it.

does it happen in light mode too?

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Bought an Elite V2 controller against my better judgement. It's great, but damn do I miss the Series controller shape. also the home button feels different and it trips me up every time lol. I'm debating returning it, but I might just keep it until a Series 3 controller releases and use this one on my PC.

no worries, happens to the best of us. i've done it on more than one occasion lol

strange, I haven't noticed that. do you have auto dimming/local dimming turned on in your TV settings? could be a really aggressive local dimming feature causing it.

does it happen in light mode too?
I just tried light mode and if it's happening there, I can't see it.

And I'm using an LG C8 so it's not a dimming issue. Might be the cable? Haven't seen any irregularities with games though.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Playing Ninja Gaiden Black because I couldn't wait for the new collection and I really, really wish MS would patch in the option to invert the X Axis on my Elite controller, as the camera is driving me nuts.

Would also work for for games like the N64 Conker and as a general accessibility feature. I don't have Twitter, but is there anyway to get that request out to someone at MS?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Ninja Gaiden Black because I couldn't wait for the new collection and I really, really wish MS would patch in the option to invert the X Axis on my Elite controller, as the camera is driving me nuts.

Would also work for for games like the N64 Conker and as a general accessibility feature. I don't have Twitter, but is there anyway to get that request out to someone at MS?
Never tried it, but I believe you can download the Xbox Accessories App and configure your controller to invert the X axis.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Unfortunately you can only invert the Y axis right now. The best solution I could find is mapping the right stick to the bumpers.

gkryhewy

Oct 29, 2017

This happened to me two days ago, but ONLY on the Game Pass panel in the menu. Bizarre, and it did not repeat yesterday.

EDIT- it was a little different than what you're seeing; it was the panel in the main menu and dimmed every few seconds, not continuously

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
This happened to me two days ago, but ONLY on the Game Pass panel in the menu. Bizarre, and it did not repeat yesterday.

EDIT- it was a little different than what you're seeing; it was the panel in the main menu and dimmed every few seconds, not continuously
Interesting.

Well, I did plug the Series X directly into the C8 and it still does it in that same menu. Any time those boxes move. It also does it in My Profile under the Gaming section. But only when those options first load. After that, the boxes don't move and I don't see it. Pretty weird.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021

I've got this happening too. Does it happen when you disable VRR?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering about getting an Xbox machine, either a cheap One S for its disc drive or simply a Series S disregarding the former.
How much more do you think they'll support the Xbox One?
I really just want it for a few games and possibly classic Xbox games (so that doesnt include anything exclusive to Series X/S) but it'd be nice jumping to that next gen too.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
So I bought a PS5 at launch, and a series S for the kids, and recently I've found myself playing more on the kids S than my PS5 so I decided last week to look out for an X.

Thankfully I got in on Very's stock this morning and have one coming in the next week, it can sit proudly alongside my PC, PS5, and Switch.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Have been playing mostly on PS5 those past few months, but coming back to play The Medium and switching with the latest update of MCC for some SWAT rekindled my love for Quick Resume. What a blast to always come back to the exact spot I was in The Medium - it has made it a lot more digest, as I was enticed to play more bite-sized sessions, when I wouldn't have even bothered to start up the game otherwise. The known convenience of skipping the startup screens and loading really adds a lot of comfort.

Not a huge discovery on my part haha, but I'm amazed how the new machines drastically improved QOL almost all around.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Still so impressed by the design of the Series X - silent, relatively small and powerful. Since the Xbox one X, MS have been nailing the engineering for their products

I like the look of the PS5 but mine has pretty gnarly coil whine that seemingly can't be remedied seeing as it runs at super high clocks.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else find the video capture on the Series X to be pretty rubbish? I play a lot of Warzone with my friends and the guy who plays on PS5 is able to clip anything he likes with full voice chat. Any time I try and clip something you can't hear voice chat, no matter how many settings I've messed with. Sometimes there is no sound on the clips at all, it's just completely silent. Sometimes when I try and view the clips on the Xbox app the screen is almost completely black and you can't make out what's happening. I don't know if it's a Warzone issue or an Xbox issue. I just want to be able to clip videos WITH the voice chat included, I feel like it shouldn't be so hard.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else find the video capture on the Series X to be pretty rubbish? I play a lot of Warzone with my friends and the guy who plays on PS5 is able to clip anything he likes with full voice chat. Any time I try and clip something you can't hear voice chat, no matter how many settings I've messed with. Sometimes there is no sound on the clips at all, it's just completely silent. Sometimes when I try and view the clips on the Xbox app the screen is almost completely black and you can't make out what's happening. I don't know if it's a Warzone issue or an Xbox issue. I just want to be able to clip videos WITH the voice chat included, I feel like it shouldn't be so hard.
Yeah it's trash. I thiink a stop gap measure at the moment is to stream on twitch and clip from there. It's legacy from the OS on the one consoles though I'm pretty sure you could clip voice on there before an update?

Definitely needs an upgrade for this generation.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I received an email today from Microsoft asking me to confirm my second name and date of birth for UPS verification. They're apparently sending me a replacement controller.

I was wondering if that's standard procedure?

Here's a screenshot of the email:
ab14824e-a24e-4ba4-benjsv.jpeg

05ef5e56-cbe4-4c8e-botj0e.jpeg

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering about getting an Xbox machine, either a cheap One S for its disc drive or simply a Series S disregarding the former.
How much more do you think they'll support the Xbox One?
I really just want it for a few games and possibly classic Xbox games (so that doesnt include anything exclusive to Series X/S) but it'd be nice jumping to that next gen too.
Absolutely get a Series S. It will have a way longer shelf life and the upgrades you get from the CPU/SSD blow the One S out of the water.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I received an email today from Microsoft asking me to confirm my second name and date of birth for UPS verification. They're apparently sending me a replacement controller.

I was wondering if that's standard procedure?

Here's a screenshot of the email:
ab14824e-a24e-4ba4-benjsv.jpeg

05ef5e56-cbe4-4c8e-botj0e.jpeg

I wouldn't take that at face value, in part because that information wouldn't be on record with UPS to "confirm." To be safe, I'd recommend going to the main support site chat directly (not through any links in that email), bring up the case associated with the order, and ask directly in there.

There is supposedly a scenario where they could need that info, so it's not impossible, but I'd be approaching that with eyebrows up, just to be safe.