• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
That almost sounds like you bought it on Wal Mart marketplace and not directly from WalMart.
It was direct from Walmart. Normal retail price and it was from one of the batches they announced in advance. It feels like they sent me something that was previously returned. Since they don't have stock, they only offer refunds instead of replacements which is useless right now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Grabbed Dirt 5!

I like it a lot so far, I just don't really enjoy Gymkhana and the oval race event times (I forgot what it was called but I absolutely hated it).

120fps feels extra smooth but looks terrible... I'll be sticking to the image quality mode, I think.

CurrY

Nov 26, 2017
Just bought gp ultimate untill februari 26th 2024. Managed to buy an Xbox Series X through a local forum for retail price.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to end needing the damn expansion storage. I filled up my Series X already because I went wild with downloading games, lol.

Absolutely loving the system so far.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It was direct from Walmart. Normal retail price and it was from one of the batches they announced in advance. It feels like they sent me something that was previously returned. Since they don't have stock, they only offer refunds instead of replacements which is useless right now.
Ahh, makes sense.

Jul 26, 2018
I wasn't planning on getting a next-gen console close after launch, but I'm now seriously considering a Series S. There are a couple of reasons why the Series S currently seems more attractive to me than the Series X or PS5:

1) I'm still using a Panasonic Plasma TV as most of my playtime goes toward handheld and PC gaming;
2) I don't expect to get a lot of use out of BC: I have a relatively small library of 360 and Xbox One games, I can play those on the One or re-purchase digitally;
3) the storage seems fine if I just want to have 2 or 3 Game Pass games installed at a time;
4) I really like the form factor of the Series S;
5) If after a year or two I'd like to upgrade to Series X or get a PS5 then the Series S would make a nice present for my brother;
6) The Series S is incredibly afforable and actually available right now.

Am I overlooking something? Considering these reasons the Series S seems like a no brainer to me.

There are a couple big titles, like ESO or Cod, but there are many many games ranging from 2gb (indies) to 50gb (many last gen games), so 3) might be more favorable than you expect actually.

I cannot really comment on the rest because I have an XSX myself (just because), but unless you're a spoiled, nitpicky 4k enthusiast, with XSS and GP you're in for a treat. Also, idk about the current sale but last BF sale was crazy good so, check it out just in case. You may find things you like at a good price, it's incredible how much fun you can get in the 15-20 range.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It's in the quick menu, sound/music and whatever the option at the bottom is in english. It's greyed out if you don't have headphones plugged in though. It works with headphones through the controller. If you use any kind of usb headset then it might be different.

I use the 3.5 jack port and I see the same 3 settings as in this image:

maxresdefault.jpg

Do you have a screenshot of what options you see?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah I really hate this. It's happened with multiple games for me.

Assuming the version on the external drive is the "previous gen" version, it's probably trying to Smart Delivery the next-gen updated version of the game. Best bet would probably be to just let it update, then move it to the external.

It'd be nice if they just let you "archive" certain games so it doesn't bother looking for updates for them.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man I was so wrong about this console...had it at launch, got a PS5 but sold it to my cousin for XMas, and now all in on the Series X.

It's funny, a lot of the issues I had with it at launch (mainly how in a lot of ways it felt similar to my X1X) I really missed when I didn't have them....how whisper quiet it is, Smart Delivery, Quick Resume, Game Pass, how comfortable I am with the UI/Friends List and party chat and online/Achievements, etc.

This console is so damn good, I'm really glad I went back. That's not to say the PS5 isn't a really good console as well because it is, I just think the Series X does a number of things better and for me personally it fits.

Now it's time for the games lol....

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I wasn't planning on getting a next-gen console close after launch, but I'm now seriously considering a Series S. There are a couple of reasons why the Series S currently seems more attractive to me than the Series X or PS5:

1) I'm still using a Panasonic Plasma TV as most of my playtime goes toward handheld and PC gaming;
2) I don't expect to get a lot of use out of BC: I have a relatively small library of 360 and Xbox One games, I can play those on the One or re-purchase digitally;
3) the storage seems fine if I just want to have 2 or 3 Game Pass games installed at a time;
4) I really like the form factor of the Series S;
5) If after a year or two I'd like to upgrade to Series X or get a PS5 then the Series S would make a nice present for my brother;
6) The Series S is incredibly afforable and actually available right now.

Am I overlooking something? Considering these reasons the Series S seems like a no brainer to me.
For 1080p gaming it should be ok, if you dont care about no disc drive and limited storage, sure.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Hey all! First time posting on this thread. Hope you are all doing well! Just ordered a Series X. It wasn't too hard to find, me being from Portugal and all (pretty much a PlayStation country). Super, super excited about getting my hands on it. My original plan was to buy a PS5, but with time and research I ended up realizing that the Series X just offered a better value proposition for me. Game Pass (huge deal), BC, the promise of amazing games from MS's many studios... I really like the vision and strategy they went with. Plus, the console design is wonderful.

It's been a while since I went with Xbox (well, since the 360 era). Lots of catch up to do. Last Halo I played was 3. Last Gears I played was probably 2, and I don't recall the last Forza game I messed with (I guess 2... maybe that was even the last game I played on my 2nd 360 before it died). Anyway, can't wait for it to arrive and be a part of the community here! :)
Enjoy, lucky you can find one there!

Nao consigo achar series x em lugar nenhum e nao temos perspectivas de quando estara disponivel.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Really love my Series X. I like my PS5, too, but I somewhat wish I just went with a Series X at launch.

The PS5 just has so many baffling issues - the glossy black plastic is a scratch magnet, the disk drive is awful and the inability to just download a PS5 client of a game sucks. I think the console needed a little more time in the oven.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Really love my Series X. I like my PS5, too, but I somewhat wish I just went with a Series X at launch.

The PS5 just has so many baffling issues - the glossy black plastic is a scratch magnet, the disk drive is awful and the inability to just download a PS5 client of a game sucks. I think the console needed a little more time in the oven.

Now that I've had my Series S for a bit it's clear to me that Microsoft's decision to keep their current Xbox One OS on Series X|S and iterate on that instead of making a new one from scratch has paid off. It just feels like a more mature, polished product.

I appreciate the "new console smell" you get when using the PS5's dashboard but it feels, well, new and lacks many QoL features and general polish. It feels like they have to reinvent the wheel after years of iteration on the PS4's UX.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Now that I've had my Series S for a bit it's clear to me that Microsoft's decision to keep their current Xbox One OS on Series X|S and iterate on that instead of making a new one from scratch has paid off. It just feels like a more mature, polished product.

I appreciate the "new console smell" you get when using the PS5's dashboard but it feels, well, new and lacks many QoL features and general polish. It feels like they have to reinvent the wheel after years of iteration on the PS4's UX.

New UI makes a more exciting first impression, but yeah - after you move past that initial buzz, it's nice to have a UI with robust features, and that you are used to navigating.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Do i need to have games on the internal drive/expansion card to get the framerate upgrades for older titles? Or will playing off my usb external be fine to do that? I know it makes an impact for loadtimes.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Do i need to have games on the internal drive/expansion card to get the framerate upgrades for older titles? Or will playing off my usb external be fine to do that? I know it makes an impact for loadtimes.

Having the games on external drives will only impact load times. You should still get all other the benefits of the new hardware regardless of storage.

The expansion card should not have an impact on load times, as far as we know.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say microsoft did a great job with the series X, own a ps5 and the X since launch and been sitting my time with them.
Hope 2021 sees a steady rollout of releases, they sure have an impressive lineup of talented studios

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Already have a PS5, otherwise I'd go that route. I'm already seeing some value regarding games I'd rather play on console via Game Pass, and it'll probably be worth it over the years. Like you said, I can always sell it down the road.

That reality unfortunately hit me in the hardest way possible this month, which is exactly why I think I'm going to do that.

Thank you both for the replies!

Nice, man! Hope you dig it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The UI on this is so clean and easy to use but if you go on Twitter, it's like rocket science

Some of that is enduring "conventional wisdom" from earlier iterations of the Xbox One UI, where it genuinely was confusing and unintuitive to do some things. Some of it is also that there's more PS users than Xbox users, which means there's more people who are unfamiliar with the Xbox UI. If you sat a longtime Windows users in front of a Mac, they'd probably find things confusing too.

But yeah, I kinda roll my eyes when people talk about the Xbox UI like it requires a hundred button presses to do anything.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Hated throwing the cash down, but happy I got my kids the Seagate expansion for Xmas.
really debating this. I have the credit sitting in my amazon account, but I feel like I don't "need" it yet. I uninstalled Gears 5 after finishing Hivebusters to save space, and Valhalla since I wasn't currently playing it, but part of me wishes I could just keep it installed anyway

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's an option. I am just saying the Series X doesn't really have the issues I have had. I like my PS5, don't get me wrong, I was just immediately more impressed with the Series X.
oh I'm 100% with you. the XSX is a more polished package. I haven't turned my PS5 on in like two weeks lol. XSX gets daily use

Dec 13, 2018
Sure, it's an option. I am just saying the Series X doesn't really have the issues I have had. I like my PS5, don't get me wrong, I was just immediately more impressed with the Series X.
oh I'm 100% with you. the XSX is a more polished package. I haven't turned my PS5 on in like two weeks lol. XSX gets daily use
Maybe it's because I have a DE, so the disk isn't even an option, but while my series x has gotten more use because of gamepass and catching up on Xbox one titles I've missed, my PS5 feels more like the polished console. I think the 4K menu, demon souls, and lack of controller issues (my series x trigger jams sometimes and at least once every couple of days one of them stop responding) just have made when I switch over to play on my ps5 feel more next-gen-y. Also I have a LG CX and the Xbox for some reason isn't turning it off or on when I turn on the console, little things like that just add up. Either way though, game pass and the power make it a joy despite all the rough edges I've had so far. I'm looking at it as an investment on all the great future titles coming down the line and I feel like gamepass has just made me so much more likely to play a game now and then. Plus I never thought I'd care about this stuff, but all the little social things, weekly videos, etc on Xbox live are really nice.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I have a DE, so the disk isn't even an option, but while my series x has gotten more use because of gamepass and catching up on Xbox one titles I've missed, my PS5 feels more like the polished console. I think the 4K menu, demon souls, and lack of controller issues (my series x trigger jams sometimes and at least once every couple of days one of them stop responding) just have made when I switch over to play on my ps5 feel more next-gen-y. Also I have a LG CX and the Xbox for some reason isn't turning it off or on when I turn on the console, little things like that just add up. Either way though, game pass and the power make it a joy despite all the rough edges I've had so far. I'm looking at it as an investment on all the great future titles coming down the line and I feel like gamepass has just made me so much more likely to play a game now and then. Plus I never thought I'd care about this stuff, but all the little social things, weekly videos, etc on Xbox live are really nice.
I also have a DE—the barebones feel of the PS5 OS hasn't done it any favors. sure, it's 4K, but honestly the 1080p UI on the XSX doesn't look low res to me, my TV upscales it well and the AA used makes everything look nice.

Also my PS5 has random issues with updates not downloading (error codes that say nothing and retrying doesn't fix it), the party chat system is confusing, and navigating the quick menu is cumbersome (I can't use the triggers or bumpers to quickly jump from one end to the other? friends isn't a separate menu from party chat? and other random quirks). it just feels like it's not quite ready yet.

I'm sure by this time next year it'll be fantastic, but right now the XSX feels more polished.

Your controller and TV issues are definitely not normal though, you should talk to support about it.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 360, skipped the One in the previous generation but got a Series X (The number of exclusives that interest me have been increasing, and also Game Pass). It's lovely to see (a good amount) of my 360 purchases show up as playable on the new console - yesterday I downloaded 'Splosion Man and not only it ran, it loaded my save and I continued where I left the game...almost exactly 10 years to the day (going by the date on the achievements I earned). Now that's impressive.

(My poor head has been struggling with the A,B,X,Y placement, as I've been going back and forth from Xbox to Switch ;_;)

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Screenshots I upload to Xbox Live so that I can see them on the Xbox app keep disappearing. What's the deal with that? I need to re-upload them constantly. They delete themselves.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I also have a DE—the barebones feel of the PS5 OS hasn't done it any favors. sure, it's 4K, but honestly the 1080p UI on the XSX doesn't look low res to me, my TV upscales it well and the AA used makes everything look nice.
Yeah I never understood the 4K image UI thing. I think if digital foundry never said a word, nobody would even notice a difference between the two

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 360, skipped the One in the previous generation but got a Series X (The number of exclusives that interest me have been increasing, and also Game Pass). It's lovely to see (a good amount) of my 360 purchases show up as playable on the new console - yesterday I downloaded 'Splosion Man and not only it ran, it loaded my save and I continued where I left the game...almost exactly 10 years to the day (going by the date on the achievements I earned). Now that's impressive.

(My poor head has been struggling with the A,B,X,Y placement, as I've been going back and forth from Xbox to Switch ;_;)
I honestly find these types of QOL features, ( that does the heavy lifting for you, like auto sync 10 yr old progress ) one of the best aspects of Xbox eco system, it sets it apart from all others. It's a shock not having this experience replicated elsewhere.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Got my Series X yesterday and I must say its definitely faster than my Xbox One X. I do love the share button on the controller, taking snapshots is so easy now and that was one of the biggest things I thought sony did right last gen with the ps4.

The UI is snappy, and I am shocked how fast I can jump into games and such. I was bummed that we didnt get a different dashboard but it actually works and feels great on new hardware. I do enjoy MS approach with 4 generations of gaming on a single console. I jumped back and forth between my X and Series X last night with downloading things and it was so seamless.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I feel sad I'm not using much my XsX, my SO has just camped on my hobby room to hog my pc and can't use pc or XsX...only ps5 available so until The Medium releases and I kick her out gently, no more silent gaming.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Enjoy, lucky you can find one there!

Nao consigo achar series x em lugar nenhum e nao temos perspectivas de quando estara disponivel.

In a way I was actually surprised. There are stores here in the country that simply do not sell anything Xbox related (like, it's not even listed). It used to be worse though. The 360 era was notably bad in that regard. I worked in games journalism back then and it seemed pretty clear that the marketing people working on Xbox here struggled with lack of resources and support. I'm no longer press and haven't been for 10 years, but looking from the outside things are better now I think.

Boa sorte! Espero que encontres uma assim que possível.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Screenshots I upload to Xbox Live so that I can see them on the Xbox app keep disappearing. What's the deal with that? I need to re-upload them constantly. They delete themselves.

That happens to me to. They appear and then dissappear then reappear again.

What's funny is that I have a bunch of screenshots from 5-4 years ago that I took on my brother's Xbox, using my XBL account, and those always worked perfectly.

I pretty much have to upload to One drive to ensure I have access to the photos.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes when waking up my Series X the screen shows this:
4QnBaXCl.jpg

And every time it's freaking me out. Simply putting it to sleep and waking it up again solves the issue.
Anyone else experiencing this? Should I be worried or could this be simply an HDMI handshake problem?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes when waking up my Series X the screen shows this:
4QnBaXCl.jpg

And every time it's freaking me out. Simply putting it to sleep and waking it up again solves the issue.
Anyone else experiencing this? Should I be worried or could this be simply an HDMI handshake problem?
Next time just try to unplug and plug back the HDMI to see if it's just a handshake issue (sometimes switching sources can resolve this too).

I had something like this only once on launch day when it was plugged to the work's TV, I just had to replug the HDMI to fix it, never happened with mine.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Next time just try to unplug and plug back the HDMI to see if it's just a handshake issue (sometimes switching sources can resolve this too).

I had something like this only once on launch day when it was plugged to the work's TV, I just had to replug the HDMI to fix it, never happened with mine.

That's a good idea! Will keep that in mind.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why is it that on PS5 I can record the last full 1 hour, at 1080p hdr, but on Series X it's the last 3 minutes at 720 sdr??

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
One of the most disappointing things to me has been the dashboard.

Being the same experience that I've had on my One X for years now has been a let down, and the resolution being 1080p/non- HDR was already bad on the One X, and now is just unacceptable. I was playing Destiny this afternoon, and when I open the guide, it's jarring how blurry it is. When compared with the experience that the PS5 dashboard offers, it's really, really bad.

Microsoft has been doing a very good job with it's OS. Hopefully we'll see some improvements in this area.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
My video captures are stuttering and look pixelated for some reason. I'm not sure what's causing this, it worked just fine up until recently.