• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I am giggling and shaking my head at the same time, when I see people on reddit being confused that the Series S version of Cyberpunk 2077 looks "like crap" and considering a refund.

Hm, the 1TB expansion card isn't as seamless as I hoped. I had my USB storage set as default, so when I download a Series X game, it says I can't run it from there and asks if I want to use the internal drive instead. Great, but no option for the expansion card comes up. I either have to move it there manually or make that the new default.

I think that is just an oversight which could (read as: should!) be fixed in an update.
When I download a game and I have no space on my internal Series S storage, it asks me to delete stuff instead of downloading it to my external drive.
So I have to cancel the dialogue, go into "My games & apps" and have to move stuff manually to my external SSD.

Peekles

Jun 18, 2020
Is the Fallout 4 60 FPS update available yet? I know they were hyping it up before launch, but not sure if it actually got released.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
If there's something I haven't liked at all about owning an Xbox, is accessing the store from my PC. It constantly asks me to log in, even when my avatar/name is right there on the upper right corner. Just by browsing it, it switches from the Microsoft store, to the Xbox store, to the... Japanese Microsoft store, to the Mexican Xbox store... and as I type this I can't see my wishlist, lol.

Lista de desejos

It doesn't matter what I do, it tells me to log in even though I can't do that, because I'm already logged in. Terrible experience, really.

Link-182

Oct 27, 2017
So i'm planning on getting a Series X, but I have a series 4 TCL, will I have these issues that people keep talking about? Or is it primarily an issue with the series 5?
Which issues are you referring to? Streaming Apps (netflix, hulu, disney plus) cutting in and out? I have a TCL series 4 as well and that seems to be one of the big issues i'm facing at the moment. Not sure if that's a TCL tv specific thing though.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Mine have been a little iffy the past few days. Some disappeared when I was on the app on all devices even though they'd been on there previously and I'd saved them to my phone. They eventually came back

More or less for me, sometimes they show up on Xbdvr but most of the time they don't. They don't show up at all in the Win10 companion app.

Had to upload some screens to Onedrive so i could share them.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
If there's something I haven't liked at all about owning an Xbox, is accessing the store from my PC. It constantly asks me to log in, even when my avatar/name is right there on the upper right corner. Just by browsing it, it switches from the Microsoft store, to the Xbox store, to the... Japanese Microsoft store, to the Mexican Xbox store... and as I type this I can't see my wishlist, lol.

Lista de desejos

It doesn't matter what I do, it tells me to log in even though I can't do that, because I'm already logged in. Terrible experience, really.
Same here in Norway. It constantly shifts me over to the US Xbox page, which doesn't help me when browsing for games and looking at prices.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
To give more RAM to games, a 4K UI would need to use way more RAM to store high quality images for the UI and games assets displayed (icons, screenshots, ...).
As games run at the same time as the UI, if the UI would need more RAM to be in 4K it would have to reserve more RAM even if it's not using it all the time (thus less RAM for the games, developers know how much they can use, it's a set value).

Honestly it does not bother me, I spend more times in games than in the UI, and the way the UI is done make it look nice enough on a 4K screen, same for the 720p Switch UI (I spend even less time on the UI on Switch).
Whilst I get the whole I dont care its in 1080p. To try and make this out to improve/impact game performance is just silly for the 16GB series x. Like on a PC, having the desktop in 4k doesn't matter in terms of game performance and ram usage. The GPU is rendering what you see. They should update it to 4k whether or not you see the difference or dont look at it much. End of.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I get the whole I dont care its in 1080p. To try and make this out to improve game performance is just silly for the 16GB series x. Like on a PC, having the desktop in 4k doesnt matter in terms of game performance and ram usage. The GPU is rendering what you see. They should update it to 4k whether or not you see the difference or dont look at it much. End of.
On PC devs don't know what the game will be able to use because of all the different devices, softwares running eating RAM and other.
Also Windows have a paging file where it can put background softwares' RAM data when the foreground one needs more RAM, not on console. Imagine if this was on console too and the game's RAM data was put on the paging file because UI or apps need more RAM, then when going back to the game would imply a few seconds delay to reload the game data from the paging file (a bit like Quick Resume), it would be quick on Series consoles, but so slow on One X.

On consoles the devs have a defined set of RAM they can use (13.5 GB I think on Series X), and a number of CPU cores reserved for games too.

Then they can optimize the games to run perfectly in those ranges and use what they need without worrying about a user having 32 GB of RAM but only 5 available for the game because they have 50 tabs opened in Chrome while running the game, which causes stutters because RAM is overloaded.

It's much more easier for devs to know what is guaranteed to be used by their game to optimize them.

It's a game console, not a multi-task PC environment, so apps and UI are limited in resource usage, and games have the focus and reserved resources.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I get the whole I dont care its in 1080p. To try and make this out to improve/impact game performance is just silly for the 16GB series x. Like on a PC, having the desktop in 4k doesn't matter in terms of game performance and ram usage. The GPU is rendering what you see. They should update it to 4k whether or not you see the difference or dont look at it much. End of.
No, not end of story, because you are not well-versed and are voicing something you consider fact, all based upon assumption. Some devs who understand how the UI is rendered in the Microsoft world took the time to explain how, in this case, it would affect RAM usage.

Please see this post and this post.

The biggest reason is that unlike the PlayStation's and Xbox 360 before it, the X1 /XS don't use a purpose built, dedicated UI layer for the console, and instead uses a **very* general purpose UI layer (UWP XAML) that is optimised for general UI development and doesn't - and won't - have any specific low level, case by case optimisation.

It means its less efficient overall in terms of performance and RAM usage, but it also means its ridiculously easier and quicker for Microsoft to iterate and change their UI because they're using a mature and fully fledged UI stack with a lot of tooling, documentation and flexibility, and their developers have a lotmof experience with it. (The Windows 10 shell is even built with UWP XAML these days)

And every layer / element on the UI gets its own render texture rather than being flattened on top of each other. So even a simple game tile has a BGRA background image texture, an A8 texture for the text label and a texture BGRA texture for a colour behind the label that get placed on top of each each other, rather than creating a single composite texture.

Which makes sense for a general purpose UI system because we don't know who needs to be redrawn when, and don't want the cost of redrawing entire cascading trees constantly, but means when you increase resolution, you can get a lot of potential memory increase - but not even close to 1GB from XAML elements alone. The biggest increase is probably literally from the resolution of the bitmap image assets like game art and full screen background art - and the of course, all the apps would also render in 4K with their own increased memory usage, taking up parts of the allocated Windows side of the memory pool

It is, however, literally a case of them flipping a switch to get it to happen for the most part. XAML was designed even in the old WPF days to scale perfectly with DPI/ resolution, so if they told it to render at 4K right now, it would, with very little work.
The easy answer, the whole UI isn't a raster, there is numerous graphical assets such as game box art, backgrounds, and fonts can be cached as images rather than rastered to keep draw calls efficient. For 4K to have any effect all of these assets would need to be stored and cached with 4K in mind as well, and all such elements especially with alpha channels all adds up fast.

Also keep in mind that VRAM on consoles is shared with the system, not dedicated.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Lost a few hours of progress in immortals due to quick resume. Game acted really funky when quick resuming like no sound, crashing, being unable to start at all. Now it crashed after quick resume and lost progress. Couldnt do much about it cause I turned off console with it open so it would open in quick resume anyways. Gonna drop the game now cause i dont fancy replaying that.

Ding

Jan 13, 2018
The 2020 TCL 6 series supports 1440p 120hz HDR, the problem is Xbox. The XSX doesn't even support HDR at 1080p 60hz, it has to be 4k. Like I said, plenty of people have complained about this. Test it for yourself, drop the res and untick the "allow 4K" box that is above "allow HDR10".

Your TV can support that format only if you enable chroma subsampling. It's physically impossible for a full fat 10-bit, 120Hz, 1440p, 4:4:4 signal to be conveyed across an HDMI 2.0b connection. 4:2:2 should work, however. (But, "should" sadly isn't the same as "does".) You probably already know all that, but I just wanted to be clear.

I don't understand why you wouldn't always have the "Allow 4k" box ticked. You have a 4k TV after all. Does "allowing" 4k prevent lower (render) resolutions from being selected? Does it cause lower resolutions to be upscaled to 4k? Does this setting essentially force 4k? If it does, I agree that this sure sounds like an Xbox bug. It also seems a bit odd for MS to explicitly tie HDR and 4k together in their settings. Perhaps this is because 4k TVs are typically the only TVs that support HDR? (I've hit a related issue when shopping for a new projector. I want 120Hz and HDR, but I don't actually want/need 4k. Sadly, there don't seem to be 1080p HDR projectors out there. I think it's similar with TVs?)

Naively, were I in your situation, I would try to set the Xbox's resolution to 1440p, and its refresh rate to 120Hz. Then I would go into the Video Modes sub menu and enable "Allow YCC 4:2:2", and "Allow 4k". (Personally, I'd "allow" everything on that page, but for troubleshooting purposes, starting with the bare minimum might be prudent.) I'd also look at the "4k TV Details" page, just to see what your Xbox thinks your TV is capable of.

I do think the XSX video settings are a bit limiting. Ideally, you'd want the console to automatically chose the best combination of settings that your TV allows. For instance, if you chose a 60Hz "mode" inside a game, then the console should allow your resolution to go up to 4k. But when you choose a 120Hz "mode" inside a game, the console should be smart enough to know that your TV can only hit 120Hz if it drops the resolution and chroma settings. You shouldn't have to go in manually and fiddle with settings, depending on what game you're playing.

I found Vincent's video about the XSX video settings to be useful/interesting, but since he's using an HDMI 2.1 TV, the options presented to him might be different from what you see.

"Test it for yourself"? God, wouldn't that be nice! Neither I, nor anyone I know, have been able to procure a new Xbox. I'm interested in the TCL 6 Series, so I'd love to hear whether you're able to get this working. (To me, having HDR at 120Hz isn't an absolute requirement, but it would certainly be a nice-to-have, and the HDMI 2.0 spec supports it. So, I'm hoping that some combination of you/MS/TCL manage to figure things out by the time I can find a console!)

Have you or those "plenty of people" reported this issue to MS support?

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
No, not end of story, because you are not well-versed and are voicing something you consider fact, all based upon assumption. Some devs who understand how the UI is rendered in the Microsoft world took the time to explain how, in this case, it would affect RAM usage.

Please see this post and this post.
Now now, please put your toys back in your pram. Yes end of story. A console as powerful as the series x should not have an issue rendering a 4k ui.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Now now, please put your toys back in your pram. Yes end of story. A console as powerful as the series x should not have an issue rendering a 4k ui.
Embedded systems /= PCs.

Consoles don't have virtual memory off the SSD. Resources are defined and limits enforced. Running out of RAM leads to crashing.

It can do it, but the decision was made to give the resources it would take to games, as well to provide instant access without loading. Yes end of story.

Just like 10% of GPU and some amount of RAM was off limits to games on the XBO for Kinect and Snap UI. Games could have used that. Microsoft got an intense amount of backlash over the off limits resources when their console was less powerful than the competition.

It's a design decision. They don't want to be at a disadvantage for resources for games vs the competition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They could have added 2 GB more RAM to compensate, sure, but then SoC complexity goes up, more traces, extra chip... That adds up when you're penny pinching and likely losing money on the hardware.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Embedded systems /= PCs.

Consoles don't have virtual memory off the SSD. Resources are defined and limits enforced. Running out of RAM leads to crashing.

It can, but the decision was made to give the resources it would take to games, as well to provide instant access without loading. Yes end of story.

Just like 10% of GPU and some amount of RAM was off limits to games on the XBO for Kinect and Snap UI. Games could have used that.

It's a design decision. Either live with it or buy a device that draws the UI at 4K ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks. Or wait until MS update the ui to 4k in the future. Unfortunately I will never accept that the ui couldnt be at 4k with minimal impact to the 16GB RAM. Even my archaic mobile renders a ui at a higher resolution than 1080p. But I appreciate your comment and take your points.

Oct 27, 2017
I leave both my XSX and my XSS in standby every day since launch. It keeps everything updated and because of GamePass I am always downloading new games to try out. With everyone WFH and schooling from home, overnight downloads work best for me.

I do like how easy it is to copy a game from one Xbox console to another as it means I only have to download the game once. And with everyone getting Cloud storage for game saves, my entire family can pick up and play any of their games at either console.
Yup. Haven't turned it off since I got it at launch
So after putting a few weeks into my PS5 I have circled back round to the Series X again. I have Cyberpunk coming tomorrow but I am currently playing though Jedi Fallen Order which I am enjoying a lot, it seems like a pretty locked 60 on performance mode with just a few dips. Would be nice if they unlocked the frame rate on the resolution mode but I can live with it.

Quick resume and being able to just quickly jump between Forza Horizon 4 and Fallen Order in seconds remains sooo good.

Also, the ability to download games (and patches) before release even without owning them digitally, as I have done for Cyberpunk, is such a brilliant feature.

I have left mine on Eco mode which is basically a full shutdown.

Main reason is that boot up is still stupidly fast and quick resume functionality still works as normal. In terms of downloads...I am at home anyway due to COVID & working from home so don't gain much benefits from remote downloads.

Interesting to see both perspectives. I currently have mine completely on full shutdown as I wasnt downloading anything!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Or wait until MS update the ui to 4k in the future. Unfortunately I will never accept that the ui couldnt be at 4k with minimal impact to the 16GB RAM. Even my archaic mobile renders a ui at a higher resolution than 1080p. But I appreciate your comment and take your points.
Unless they redo the UI in a different platform, unlikely.

Your phone is an example: when you load games and you go home, if it runs out of RAM, it just unloads the game, as well as any other applications. But on consoles? Can you imagine if the game closed because you went to the console home because it needed the RAM to draw at 4K, on a machine dedicated to play said games? Problematic would be an understatement.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide if i'll get my son an S or an X, he plays on a 1440p monitor but the storage on the S is just useless, he plays Modern Warfare and Cold War, Rocket league, Ark, i'm not sure he'll even be able to have them installed on the SSD, plus even if he plays on a 1440p monitor, i just don't think the S is good value. On the other hand he'll probably donb't mind or notice games running at 1080p or lower. If only the storage was the same as the X at least.

I think i'll end up getting him the X just out of principle

Get the X, I just wonder how the S is going to struggle with games a couple years from now

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Your TV can support that format only if you enable chroma subsampling. It's physically impossible for a full fat 10-bit, 120Hz, 1440p, 4:4:4 signal to be conveyed across an HDMI 2.0b connection. 4:2:2 should work, however. (But, "should" sadly isn't the same as "does".) You probably already know all that, but I just wanted to be clear.

I don't understand why you wouldn't always have the "Allow 4k" box ticked. You have a 4k TV after all. Does "allowing" 4k prevent lower (render) resolutions from being selected? Does it cause lower resolutions to be upscaled to 4k? Does this setting essentially force 4k? If it does, I agree that this sure sounds like an Xbox bug. It also seems a bit odd for MS to explicitly tie HDR and 4k together in their settings. Perhaps this is because 4k TVs are typically the only TVs that support HDR? (I've hit a related issue when shopping for a new projector. I want 120Hz and HDR, but I don't actually want/need 4k. Sadly, there don't seem to be 1080p HDR projectors out there. I think it's similar with TVs?)

Naively, were I in your situation, I would try to set the Xbox's resolution to 1440p, and its refresh rate to 120Hz. Then I would go into the Video Modes sub menu and enable "Allow YCC 4:2:2", and "Allow 4k". (Personally, I'd "allow" everything on that page, but for troubleshooting purposes, starting with the bare minimum might be prudent.) I'd also look at the "4k TV Details" page, just to see what your Xbox thinks your TV is capable of.

I do think the XSX video settings are a bit limiting. Ideally, you'd want the console to automatically chose the best combination of settings that your TV allows. For instance, if you chose a 60Hz "mode" inside a game, then the console should allow your resolution to go up to 4k. But when you choose a 120Hz "mode" inside a game, the console should be smart enough to know that your TV can only hit 120Hz if it drops the resolution and chroma settings. You shouldn't have to go in manually and fiddle with settings, depending on what game you're playing.

I found Vincent's video about the XSX video settings to be useful/interesting, but since he's using an HDMI 2.1 TV, the options presented to him might be different from what you see.

"Test it for yourself"? God, wouldn't that be nice! Neither I, nor anyone I know, have been able to procure a new Xbox. I'm interested in the TCL 6 Series, so I'd love to hear whether you're able to get this working. (To me, having HDR at 120Hz isn't an absolute requirement, but it would certainly be a nice-to-have, and the HDMI 2.0 spec supports it. So, I'm hoping that some combination of you/MS/TCL manage to figure things out by the time I can find a console!)

Have you or those "plenty of people" reported this issue to MS support?
Allow 4K forces 4K if the content is 4K. And again, it's not just 1440p 120hz, you can't even do 1080p 60hz with HDR.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Unless they redo the UI in a different platform, unlikely.

Your phone is an example: when you load games and you go home, if it runs out of RAM, it just unloads the game, as well as any other applications. But on consoles? Can you imagine if the game closed because you went to the console home because it needed the RAM to draw at 4K, on a machine dedicated to play said games? Problematic would be an understatement.
Currently my desktop is using 718mb VRAM sat at a 4k desktop with a 4k wall paper and all of the windows elements running at 4k. If I open and close other elements of the windows ui it may go up or down by 40mb. I then switch it to 1080p. Now its using 644mb VRAM. Please explain. Also why is the PS4 Pro and PS5 able to do 4k ui with no issues, if its such an expansive use of resource. I love my Series X, but for me it should be doing a 4k ui.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Currently my desktop is using 718mb VRAM sat at a 4k desktop with a 4k wall paper and all of the windows elements running at 4k. If I open and close other elements of the windows ui it may go up or down by 40mb. I then switch it to 1080p. Now its using 644mb VRAM. Please explain. Also why is the PS4 Pro and PS5 able to do 4k ui with no issues, if its such an expansive use of resource. I love my Series X, but for me it should be doing a 4k ui.
You forget, it isn't just VRAM, it's also main system RAM. You only get 16 GB on consoles, and what uses it is defined by the MB.

The Xbox console caches the whole thing in RAM. PCs load on demand from the storage, and unloads because it can just pull it back again. And you're okay with the wait. Can't be instant if it isn't on RAM.

You have to think of it as an embedded system. Otherwise you're comparing apples with oranges, despite the architecture similarities.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm shocked to find out my old Vizio 1080p TV supports 120hz, in the settings menu do I select 120hz or do I leave it at 60 Hz?

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You forget, it isn't just VRAM, it's also main system RAM. You only get 16 GB on consoles, and what uses it is defined by the MB.

The Xbox console caches the whole thing in RAM. PCs load on demand from the storage, and unloads because it can just pull it back again. And you're okay with the wait. Can't be instant if it isn't on RAM.

You have to think of it as an embedded system. Otherwise you're comparing apples with oranges, despite the architecture similarities.
Well lets just leave it to the future. I reckon at some point during this consoles life cycle it will get a 4k ui. And all the games will be unaffected. At least that's what my crystal ball is telling me. If it doesn't, feel free to come back and quote me in 7 years time and I'll gladly eat my hat of embarrassment.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Well lets just leave it to the future. I reckon at some point during this consoles life cycle it will get a 4k ui. And all the games will be unaffected. At least that's what my crystal ball is telling me. If it doesn't, feel free to come back and quote me in 7 years time and I'll gladly eat my hat of embarrassment.
If it can be done, they could. Or they could just give the extra RAM to games...

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It certainly cannot hurt to try it out. 1080p at 120fps can be an amazing gaming experience. Try it out with Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Gears 5, and Dirt 5. These games are all capable of running at 120 fps.
So I need to have 120 hz selected in the setting menu of the XSX in order to use 120FPS in the game?

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: Xbox dev here

Hm, the 1TB expansion card isn't as seamless as I hoped. I had my USB storage set as default, so when I download a Series X game, it says I can't run it from there and asks if I want to use the internal drive instead. Great, but no option for the expansion card comes up. I either have to move it there manually or make that the new default.

That is not the expected behavior in this situation, so I have filed a bug internally and will investigate what is happening. If you are in the Preview program, please file a bug anyway.
EDIT: Is the internal drive full? Or is this just a preference to use the expansion card instead of the Internal?

When I download a game and I have no space on my internal Series S storage, it asks me to delete stuff instead of downloading it to my external drive.
So I have to cancel the dialogue, go into "My games & apps" and have to move stuff manually to my external SSD.

To make sure I understand, the internal drive of the Series S is full but you have a USB external drive attached? Is the game you are attempting to install a Xbox One back-compat game or a "Optimized for X|S" game?

We've done a bunch of work to make installation and management of games as seamless as possible, and these sound like bugs in the experience. Apologies for that

Last edited:

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
To make sure I understand, the internal drive of the Series S is full but you have a USB external drive attached? Is the game you are attempting to install a Xbox One back-compat game or a "Optimized for X|S" game?

We've done a bunch of work to make installation and management of games as seamless as possible, and these sound like bugs in the experience. Apologies for that

Yup, exactly.
My internal drive only has 22 GB left, I just tried to download Battlefield 1 and it only gives me the option to free up space instead of installing it on the external drive.
It doesn't matter whether it is a One back-compat game or an optimized game for Series S / X.

It's actually not a big deal for me, it was just weird because on my One S it let me install it on the external drive directly. :)

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Yup, exactly.
My internal drive only has 22 GB left, I just tried to download Battlefield 1 and it only gives me the option to free up space instead of installing it on the external drive.
It doesn't matter whether it is a One back-compat game or an optimized game for Series S / X.

It's actually not a big deal for me, it was just weird because on my One S it let me install it on the external drive directly. :)
Apologies in advance if this is of no use.

As a work around to negating where the default install is set to. For me if I go to a game that is in my Full Library and instead of pressing A to download. Press menu/start on the yet to be downloaded game and select Manage Installation and add ons, then click on the game on the next screen, it always brings up a complete selection of where to choose to install. For example for me I can choose from the internal, the official expansion ssd, my own usb ssd and 2 x usb hdd. Yep I'm running 5 storage locations! I often do it this way as I don't always want whatever the default location is.

Of course I lose that option if just click to download via the store or clicking on a game with the A button to download.

Just thought it may be a work around at least.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is not the expected behavior in this situation, so I have filed a bug internally and will investigate what is happening. If you are in the Preview program, please file a bug anyway.
EDIT: Is the internal drive full? Or is this just a preference to use the expansion card instead of the Internal?

The internal drive isn't completely full, but it couldn't fit Master Chief Collection on it. So it went to download to the USB which is the default option I have setup, it said "you can't play from here" and gave me the usual options of "download anyway" or "install to internal". Not install to expansion card, so I'd have to either make the card the default, or download somewhere else first and then move it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I reinstalled Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 onto my Series X.

RE2 is running really well, but compared to some more recent HDR implementations I've experienced, I finally notice the "raised blacks" issue that occurs because of the constant fog-simulating filter over the image in many areas of the game. It was never a big deal to me in the past, and mostly ins't now, I'm just noticing it for the first time. Game has its minor hitches from playing on Xbox One X smoothed over now, so that's nice to see — it seems silky smooth now.

However, RE3 has some nasty jutter and kind of a sense of slight input lag in a lot of the opening areas of the game (the streets of Raccoon City). Never had performance issues on Xbox One X after to its post-release patch, so I'm finding this kinda odd. There have been significant changes to my setup since I played RE3 through on Xbox One X earlier this year, though — namely that I upgraded my LG B7 to an LG CX, and I've now engaged 120Hz and VRR on my Series X, which were not features I had access to on my One X + B7 combo.

I sadly didn't have time to do some in-depth testing beyond a quick boot up and casual run through some of the early parts of the game, but I have in the past had RE Engine games behave oddly with VRR on my gaming laptop, often introducing some jutter at points, but nothing as persistent and noticeable as my Series X and LG CX situation right now.

Is RE3 noted as being a game with some issues on Series X or was I just having a bit of a fluke?

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Anyone playing CP2077 on a XSX? How is it looking and running?

The game is by default in performance mode, and it looks unbelievable at 60fps. I'd say is 1440p or so but I cannot see any difference between high performance and resolution mode to justify resolution mode.

The game. Looks. Bonkers.

And to add to that 60fps without any noticeable issue. Looks to be locked.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The game is by default in performance mode, and it looks unbelievable at 60fps. I'd say is 1440p or so but I cannot see any difference between high performance and resolution mode to justify resolution mode.

I've got the will power to for wait for the next gen patch. I think. Maybe. :(

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I've got the will power to for wait for the next gen patch. I think. Maybe. :(

If you have a Series X, don't. Just go full steam ahead. The game looks unbelievable and at 60 fps is just bananas. Seriously, I wasn't expecting 60fps at this image quality. I don't know what they are going to do with the next gen versions, but trust me, you'll do a second run when that comes out.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... no 60fps mode for CP2077 on Series S makes me think that 30fps is going to be the norm. I don't really care about having a lower resolution, but not getting framerate parity with XSX means I'm out.

Looks like it's XSX or wait to see what Microsoft's hardware refresh strategy is.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Just clocked in 45 hours into DQ11 and I'm not even done with act 1, what a massive game. Truly recommend it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah... no 60fps mode for CP2077 on Series S makes me think that 30fps is going to be the norm. I don't really care about having a lower resolution, but not getting framerate parity with XSX means I'm out.

Looks like it's XSX or wait to see what Microsoft's hardware refresh strategy is.

Given the state of the optimization in the game based on what I've been reading, I don't know if I'd use it as any kind of bellwether for the norm. The PS5 also doesn't even have a Performance Mode for... some reason.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019

And to add to that 60fps without any noticeable issue. Looks to be locked.
It's definitely not locked but it's still unbelievable

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017

Well, the 60 fps mode on SeriesX is far from being locked, so that can explain the no perfomance yet on XsS. Even PS5 is at one preset only, wich is weird too. And since we dont get a next gen patch until next year, can happen a situation like AC:Valhalla and series S receive a performance mode too.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

It doesnt have 60fps mode because it's running the Xbox One S version in BC.

We'll see how it really plays when the next gen patch comes out.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Giving Hellblade a shot, and it's definitely a game I wish I liked more than I currently do. I'm about an hour in, and so far it's a loop of

Go to an area
Look for the symbols in the world
Open door
Go to the next area
Maybe fight a couple of baddies
Have fire flashback so I can get through another door
Go to the next area
Open door

I remember watching I think an IGN review a while back where they liked it overall, but found the puzzles a bit tedious. But I didn't think it'd be to this degree, at least so far. I feel like I'm doing a word puzzle more than I am playing a game so far. And while I appreciate the themes the game is trying to explore, so far the story is largely incomprehensible to me.

Checked and realized with 10 games, I'm 55% full. The shame of an early adopter is storage. Going to need careful management.

Planning what games go where, and ready to be on tap.

I have 15 games installed and am at 31% full. Coming from a base PS4 where I only ever ran out of space once, I guess the storage on the Series X is going to feel less like an issue for me. I only tend to play 3-4 games at a time for the most part, and tend to be pretty judicious about deleting games I don't see myself playing for a little while.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Giving Hellblade a shot, and it's definitely a game I wish I liked more than I currently do. I'm about an hour in, and so far it's a loop of

Go to an area
Open door
Go to the next area
Maybe fight a couple of baddies
Have fire flashback so I can get through another door
Go to the next area
Open door

I remember watching I think an IGN review a while back where they liked it overall, but found the puzzles a bit tedious. But I didn't think it'd be to this degree, at least so far. I feel like I'm doing a word puzzle more than I am playing a game so far. And while I appreciate the themes the game is trying to explore, so far the story is largely incomprehensible to me.

I have 15 games installed and am at 31% full. Coming from a base PS4 where I only ever ran out of space once, I guess the storage on the Series X is going to feel less like an issue for me. I only tend to play 3-4 games at a time for the most part, and tend to be pretty judicious about deleting games I don't see myself playing for a little while.

Hellblade is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic puzzles and one on one combat thrown in.