• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought the Series S/X controller for PC use only, but I am going to return it because the dpad is insufferably loud.

Holy crap. I have owned 50+ controllers and no buttons or dpad has been so loud before.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting this from the troubleshooting thread...

The 1TB Seagate SSD expansion card I bought is not being recognized by the console. I thought it was automatic? Unplugged it and re-plugged it and nothing. Restarted the console and nothing. Not sure if the expansion card is a dud or something else. Gotta do more troubleshooting....

Anybody else having an issue with the Series X not recognizing fhe SSD expansion card? Or is there something I'm not doing right?

It's definitely automatic. I plugged in my expansion card and my external HDD before turning the system on for the first time, and everything was there.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was sceptical as fuck pre-launch, tried Infinite Warfare and RE6 and thought they were damn good... Need to test more but that's it for day 1.

IW is probably a definitive version of the game right now since it's running in full 4K/60 + HDR.

I am impressed so far with everything this machine offers.

I don't think I've ever seen the starfield behind the playfield in Geometry Wars 2 as clearly as you can now. Between my OLED and Auto HDR, it's crazy.

Sounds good, I am hoping it makes KH3 pop a bit more visually

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Does the Series S play OG/360 backwards compatible games in their X enhanced forms? I assume yes but feel like I also remember reading something about it not doing that a month or two ago, maybe that was just for Xbox One BC games?

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrived and I set things up through the app. No hitches for me. I do have an LG CX, is there anything else I have to turn on in the TV settings or Xbox settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of it? Sorry if this has been asked.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I only own 7 Series X Optimized games and already my Internal SSD only has 442GB remaining out of the 802GB Total.

Devil May Cry 5 SE, No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon 4, Borderlands 3, GEARS 5, and Assassin's Creed Valhalla are currently installed.

Mortal Kombat 11 hasn't updated to its Series X version yet and has an install size of 76GB which if installed would decrease my current 442 GB usable space down to 366 GB remaining.

And I even have Immortals: Fenyx Rising on order and who knows how much space that'll take up.

I'm glad I have that 5TB external for my BC library and cold storage for Series X stuff.

I really hope the PS5 will have a cold storage option too because I can't imagine managing my library without it and to think I'll have Demon's Souls and Miles Morales on Day 1.

I'm holding off on the Series X Expandable Storage card until at least a 2TB variant becomes available.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely automatic. I plugged in my expansion card and my external HDD before turning the system on for the first time, and everything was there.

Ok something is definitely wrong then. It recognizes my other externals just fine. Now I'm hoping it's just the expansion SSD that's bad and not something wrong with the console itself. The console seems flawless otherwise.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone's Xbox Series X messing with their TV? Once in a while I'll go from game to home screen and I'll get static and will have to reset the TV.
I'm thinking the handshaking is breaking somewhere in the console-router-TV chain where HDR is being switched on and off, but it wasn't happening on my 1X, and I'm using the same video settings and cable.
Its the switch from 4k to 1080p
Game=4k
Home screen=1080p.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Mine arrived and I set things up through the app. No hitches for me. I do have an LG CX, is there anything else I have to turn on in the TV settings or Xbox settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of it? Sorry if this has been asked.

LG CX 55 owner here. Make sure you check the video options and enable 4K 120hz. It's 60hz by default. That is the only thing that I had to toggle.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
So i filmed the system with the 2001 music. No i won't share it out of embarrassment lol. Surprised i didn't see others do that.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Ok, so I don't know what's going on. I have my Series X hooked up to my new LG CX. I was able to boot it up and get everything going and even start installing games. I have Ori installed and DMC5 is almost done. I try to play either of them, and my screen just goes black. The HDR logo in the right pops up, and also some message about Quick Game or something, those 2 messages just keep popping up again and again but that and a black screen are all I get for picture. I get sound.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of games that are 120hz on Series S | X?

Ok, so I don't know what's going on. I have my Series X hooked up to my new LG CX. I was able to boot it up and get everything going and even start installing games. I have Ori installed and DMC5 is almost done. I try to play either of them, and my screen just goes black. The HDR logo in the right pops up, and also some message about Quick Game or something, those 2 messages just keep popping up again and again but that and a black screen are all I get for picture. I get sound.

Do you have 60hz or 120hz selected?

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Is anyone's Xbox Series X messing with their TV? Once in a while I'll go from game to home screen and I'll get static and will have to reset the TV.
I'm thinking the handshaking is breaking somewhere in the console-router-TV chain where HDR is being switched on and off, but it wasn't happening on my 1X, and I'm using the same video settings and cable.

Yeah I had it occasionally with my x900h on my PS4 when switching from HDR content to the main menu, and got it a couple of times today with my XSX. So I'm relieved to see others having it happen also, since I was starting to wonder if it was my tv.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I want Quick Resume for every single game :(

It's a bummer that FH 4 don't support it but I guess it is because it's always online or something?

But hot damn is the game so much better in SX than 1X, load times are like less than a second when switching cars and fast travels are are like instant.

Even if UI is the same it is much quicker.

Oct 29, 2017
If I have an external HDD hooked up, is it recommended to set the option for 'turn off power to external storage when Xbox is turned off" to on or off? I noticed the default is "off."

EDIT: The language is "When Xbox is off, turn off storage." Off as in full shutdown, or off in instant-on mode?

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap this thing is so quiet. I know I've only been doing an assortment of BC/Series X enhanced games so far since I don't have any actual new games I want to buy at the moment. But I can't even hear it at all, even if I'm close to it - it just blends into the background noise if there's any at all.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
FOLKS, WE HAVE ACQUIRED...
10-A00894-EE7-C-418-E-80-C6-D0-F1-F28-D3961.jpg

... the Storage Expansion Card.

I have to wait until tomorrow for the console...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how I ever played Assassin's Creed at 30 FPS. Valhalla feels immaculate on the Series X.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does the Series S play OG/360 backwards compatible games in their X enhanced forms? I assume yes but feel like I also remember reading something about it not doing that a month or two ago, maybe that was just for Xbox One BC games?
Those games run in their Xbox One / One S form without the One X enhancements.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
which is great but eg DF reviewed a $700 sata SSD which likely isn't practical for many people. Even normal sata SSD prices ramp up quickly after 1TB. I'm finding a hard time justifying a 2TB sata which will be capped as SATA3 speeds for slightly faster BC game loading - although the internal SSD expansion is expansive too, at least you can install and play xsx games from it
i've been using a 1TB HDD on my PS4 and never really felt the need to upgrade to 2TB. (combined with an internal 1TB HDD for 2TB total)

I don't see why you'd need a $700 SSD for back compact games, the boost from your big standard budget SSD is a big enough leap over a spinning HDD as it is lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Got it! Unfortunately I got nothing new to bless it with since I bought almost all the games for the PS5 :P
Time to see whats on Gamepass.

Just got to wait for it to finish UPDATING!!!

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I can't remember, is light mode in FFXV the only 60fps mode? Is lite mode 1080p? Waiting for everyone to go to sleep before I start messing with my X. I just have it downloading my games.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

I have that right now. Closed Gears 5 and screen was gone, Console is still running but I can't get the Xbox screen back....

Had to deactivate the ultra deep color setting for a moment. Then it came back.

Yes, the instant game response handshake is broken.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I have little interest in revisiting Gears 5 but seriously does it look better than ever. The cutscenes being 60 now makes a huge difference since it was sort of jarring on the Xbox One X. This is high end PC shit in a $500 box. Super impressive.