• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should have cancaled the ps4/xb1 versions. it was clear ever since they showed gameplay that it was never going to run well on ps4/xb1.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't think publishers and/or developers don't want to leave those 100+M last gen console owners yet...

Even with PC backing, a PS5 & Xbox Series only with no last gen, must be still feeling risky; for example Resident Evil Village.

But I'm sure Capcom is much more competent than CDPR; as they would do their best to make PS4/X1 version playable & functional with minimal bugs & glitches, I hope...

At least, Village is not at the scope of Cyberpunk.
the fact that people were asking cdpr about how the hell it was going to run on ps4/xb1 ever since the first gameplay was shown. this game should never have been revealed for ps4/xb1 at all.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
The average dropped below 90 and EDGE score isn't out yet? they gave Witcher 3 an 8 and I expect them to give CP lower score.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The grave dancing in here feels kinda weird though TBH. CDPR employs a lot of good devs.
There are no doubt a lot of good, extremely overworked people at CDPR for whom this has been, and continues to be a nightmare. I feel for those individuals. This must be hard to watch.

On the flip side, CDPR as an entity has a lot to answer for here. Shitty prelaunch behavior toward trans folks, marketing obsessively and running PR to create a legion of goon-like fans who harassed critics at every turn, content in the game that seems really tone deaf at best and downright racist at worst, manipulation of reviews and embargoes to only demonstrate the one platform that seemed in a more reasonable place quality wise, and all of that before we even talk about the actual game being a buggy mess. People don't want to see CDPR just get away with it and tout big sales figures. I can't blame them for that.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe most of the big name websites (including IGN) agreed to use only CDPR approved footage for video review. What's next, a text provided by publisher for text review?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm glad they're pushing this further and other outlets should too.
opencritic.com

They Knew It Was Wrong. CD Projekt Red Deceived Consumers Anyway.

CD Projekt Red sought to mislead consumers and secure their bonuses when distributing review copies.

Disgusting behaviour to deceive consumers and ensure sales before putting out a laughable apology. If not already with everything else, this should stain their reputation evermore.

How their reputation has anything clean enough to be further stained is remarkable.

good for you MattEnth

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happened to those users with Cyberpunk avatars leading up to release. I haven't seen them once since the game launched.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
A lot game reviewers really need to reevaluate how they approach their practice.

I personally completely checked out after the Skyrim PS3 debacle. That shit was broken beyond broken for me and seeing how that got a pass made lose all faith in "mainstream" reviews.

To see something similar happening again with Cyberpunk. They need to put their foot down on letting the pubs/devs dictate all the terms. This shit should never be happening.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
A lot game reviewers really need to reevaluate how they approach their practice.

I personally completely checked out after the Skyrim PS3 debacle. That shit was broken beyond broken for me and seeing how that got a pass made lose all faith in "mainstream" reviews.

To see something similar happening again with Cyberpunk. They need to put their foot down on letting the pubs/devs dictate all the terms. This shit should never be happening.

Yes I agree, reviewers need to take a hard look at themselves and the way they review future games.

This whole debacle is not only embarrassing for CDPR but is a wake up call for reviewers. The games should be reviewed on the most popular platforms as that's what most people play on or reviewers should commit to reviewing every single platform independently for big releases like this and not just have 1 review score based on 1 platform which the game publishers decide. This in itself rings alarm bells

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The grave dancing in here feels kinda weird though TBH. CDPR employs a lot of good devs.
A lot of companies employ a lot of good people but that doesn't make companies inherently good. This is about a company who profited off of years of hype by sending out a game who's quality they obfuscated. It's a bad practice and it's fine to call CDPR a bad company, just like we talk about how EA and Activision, and we can say that without having to constantly add the caveat of: "Well everyone involved in the decision making except for the really nice people". You can probably assume the nice devs aren't included when we critique the company particularly when one of the main critiques is about the company abusing its devs through crunch. It's fine for people to want the end of a company that has no interest in treating its employees humanely.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
does opencritic have platform specific scores similar to metacritic? i cant seem to find it.

if not, they should work on that asap.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Karma ...it's a bitch....not just for CDPR, but also for the whole game media industry. Seeing some justifiable back peddaling , but there needs to be some serious looking at relationships and responsibilities.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
This has been an issue I've had with multi-format reviews since at least the PS360 era. An overwhelming majority of reviews all come from the lead platform and if you don't own that platform your taking a chance if you don't look up specific comparisons first as any major issues wont show up in reviews. There is also a problem now even within a single ecosystem as you get only Pro/X versions being reviewed with little indication what the base console is like.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
does opencritic have platform specific scores similar to metacritic? i cant seem to find it.

if not, they should work on that asap.
They don't split them, and in the article posted upthread, they explain they'd rather stick to that approach.
The fact of the matter is that generally speaking, as people like MHWilliams have outlined here, most outlets don't review games several times for different versions, so on the aggregate you're left with choosing your poison between having a split that's not meaningful, and a single metric that aggregates a ton of different things (which is a problem with aggregates in general).
Comparing MC and OC on this game is interesting as it really illustrates the caveats of both approaches.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe most of the big name websites (including IGN) agreed to use only CDPR approved footage for video review. What's next, a text provided by publisher for text review?
Yeah. It illustrates that many video game "review" sites really are just marketing props.

The late delay of the game shows how the CDPR exececutives were starting to piss their pants because they knew they couldn't release a decent product on time.

All my sympathy goes to the developers who undoubtedly did their utmost. It's a management failure. As it almost always is.

Kudos to OpenCritic for this.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So, a few things.

Getting code for a single platform is somewhat common these days. For example, if there's a co-marketing deal, that's going to be the one that reviewers will generally get code for. Assassin's Creed Origins is a good example; it had a deal with Microsoft, so that's the version Ubisoft tended to give out. Likewise, it's not abnormal to be told, "We have code for Xbox One and PS4 now, but PC and Switch code is coming later in the week", where that later is much closer to embargo. A recent example in that case is Watch Dogs Legion, which IIRC had the next-gen console code come out much closer to embargo. This is depressingly normal.

CDPR in this case also handled some review code separate from its normal PR team, who is usually quite above board. Some publications got PC code early, while others were right before or at launch.

Furthermore, outside of some of the major outlets, you're generally not seeing reviewers that can test on everything under the sun. (That's why outlets like Digital Foundry are key.) For example, I have all the platforms readily at hand, but many reviewers are piecemeal, since they have to buy the consoles or platforms with their own money. You might have one employee with a gaming PC, Xbox Series S, and Switch, while another has a PS4 Pro and Switch. If the latter is the one that normally reviews RPGs, you're constrained. Ran into that a few times, or vice versa, were you're only given code for a platform your regular reviewer doesn't have, so you have to go with an alternate reviewer. This is less of problem pre-pandemic for the larger outlets—because the outlet itself has all the platforms—but right now, everyone is working from home, so you're stuck with the systems the reviewer in question has.

In addition to that, while some outlets can depend on multiple codes, many only get one. If given a choice, you have to pick which version you want. If you're only given a single code for say, Skyrim, and you have a Xbox 360, that's the version you'd choose, but this means you'd absolutely miss out on that memory bug that affects PS3 owners. A site like IGN might have the time and manpower to test multiple versions of a game; a smaller site can maybe do one within embargo, and assuming they get a second code for another platform, can potentially jump on a second version for a brief playthrough just to see if it holds up.

That's a lot of words to say: being told only X platform will have code available ahead of embargo is not uncommon occurrence, especially for a PC-centric developer. What tripped more red flags was the inability to use your own footage for the review. Beyond that, reviewers review what's in front of them.

And all that is before the shitstorm given to one of the people who gave it a 7/10. As I said in an older tweet.

Also, Matt hits on some salient points in his op-ed.
Thanks for taking the time to write that all up. Question for you though - given all that, why not just hold the review until after the console version embargo? I feel like outlets do that often with online-centric games, to make sure the experience is good once servers go live and real players are playing the game. Can you think of any reason not to do that in this instance, other than to be in that first rush of reviews and get the clicks?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's funny you bring that up I haven't seen that one that had the official poster and was posting non stop about it anywhere. That's a little suss
You mean Black Chamber? He was perma'd for transphobia and deceiving the site staff with promises of supporting the trans community in his Cyberpunk OTs and never following through.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Kinda Funny segment on this game yesterday was fucking scathing. I gave them a lot of shit for their coverage of games like Anthem or Avengers a pass, but good on them for holding CDPR accountable

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought I caught a deal preordering this at $49.94 on Amazon before launch.

I don't have my PS4 Pro anymore but figured why not at that price considering I could upgrade once I get a PS5 and that version is released. Seems like that price was a prophecy. This will be a bargain bin PS4 game before the end of the year. Yikes.

whether one is a good dev or not is irrelevant to the fact that they put out a public product that shouldn't be free of criticism

people are saying this is a shit game, not that the developers kick puppies

Oct 25, 2017
Finally enough PS4/Xbox One reviews to put a number on it, huh?

I6XWaXO.png

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the game should have been delayed to november 2021

that would hopefully have been enough time to let the staff breathe a little. by that time, enough ps5s and xsx should be out there to have made skipping ps4 and xbo feasible. it would have launched on ps5 xsx and pc day and date. would have been enough time to sort out bugs that are even in the pc version currently.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Step 1. Push for pre-orders in your marketing
Step 2. Release game in a broken state at launch
Step 3. Repeat

Eventually people are going to catch on ... right?
Witcher 3 was not like this. Yes, performance was bad on consoles. But multiple aspects of the gameplay were not straight up broken like they are with Cyberpunk.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Finally enough PS4/Xbox One reviews to put a number on it, huh?

I6XWaXO.png
The PC score slipping below 90 is deserved. I was really looking forward to this game but Giantbomb's feedback about the experience dampened my enthusiasm. Hasan enjoying it made me consider I'll get it in a week or two later but the reports about the base consoles was so disappointing I think I might not buy it for a year because even though I have a PC that can easily run it the game is clearly so buggy what's the point?

I don't need to support CD Projekt providing a frustrating experience. They failed to do the right thing and offer a playable experience to many people which is the big turn off even though I'm not directly affected as much.

Witcher 3 was not like this. Yes, performance was bad on consoles. But multiple aspects of the gameplay were not straight up broken like they are with Cyberpunk.
Witcher 3 is a poor comparison. Now that you mention this I recall I believe mathewmatosis mentioning for months there were serious issues with Witcher 2 on consoles.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Lost a shit ton of respect for those outlets that rated this game so favorably despite all its issues. Those 10/10 reviews read like jokes.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt noticed that IGN changed the score for the console games to a 4

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's a very good and deserving statement, fuck CDPR and fuck this game.

Absolutely mind boggling how everyone at CDPR knew last-gen versions of the game were complete shit and chose to go ahead with the release, did they think no one would notice lmao

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like September 2021 or even early 2022. look at the delay from April to December and in which state game released, April wouldn´t have changed much.
More delays wouldn't have helped much, no matter how long they were. I'm not sure if you've seen silly bugs like typos, but these aren't oversights. Workers were crunching for such a long period of time that I highly suspect they just couldn't be 100% concentrated anymore. Now, imagine if they had to continue that for even longer. And we honestly can't expect CDPR to delay and not keep crunching.

If anything, I feel for the workers who now have to keep working at a very low capacity for the next patches, having to fix console versions they didn't even have a say in.

Cyberpunk 2077 is simply a complete failure from CDPR's management. They should be held accountable.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
An 89 is an amazing score on it's own (to give you an idea Silent Hill 2 and Dark Souls 1 have it) but it's a pretty disappointing one for one of the most hyped games of the last decade.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An 89 is an amazing score on it's own (to give you an idea Silent Hill 2 and Dark Souls 1 have it) but it's a pretty disappointing one for one of the most hyped games of the last decade.

as it stands an 89 is too good considering how it runs for over 50% of users. but i actually think there is a 90+ game hiding in there somewhere. i just don't think we'll actually see it for another 6-12 months. and that's exactly when people should be buying it...likely for £10 in the bargain bins.