• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate living in germany as an english speaker. for most of anime on german netflix they only have german subtitles, and crunchyroll is the only website that gives me access to a good selection of anime, but yeah, since season 2 is going to skip the german crunchyroll it means no legal One punch man with english subs in germany for me. Great :/

Chip Cheezum

Feb 7, 2018
The animation was definitely better than I was expecting, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole episode. The pacing of the episode and the delivery of most of the jokes fell flat for me, everything just felt kind of lifeless. My biggest issue though was that, even though most of the action scenes didn't look too bad, they were hard for me to follow. A lot of shots cut away right before an impact happens, or the shot is too quick and zoomed in on something to make out what's happening from shot to shot. I only knew what was happening in that fight because I had already read the manga up to that point.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animation was quite good honestly. Certainly better than the trailer indicated.

Not a big fan of the colder color theme however.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it. Yeah, the quality definitely took a huge nosedive. I really wanted to see these upcoming arcs with the same direction and energy in the first season, but I guess that is asking for too much.

I really dig the new theme though

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Was okay... But yeah coming off the first season or even Mob Psycho's 2 seasons, I have to agree. Bones not being the ones handling this, shows big time. I'll keep watching for fun, but won't be having big expectations

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
So it didn't look as bad as I thought. There were like 5-6 seconds there where Genos looked pretty good during the fight. Then he looked CG for the rest of it. Actually some of the characters moved like they were CG.

It's too bad, considering Garou and what'shisface are martial arts experts. We could've gotten some great sakuga out of their fights. But uh, I'll keep watching.

I really like the weird friendship between King and Saitama.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the fight scenes cut the choreography out and just animate no more than 3-5 seconds of small actions. It feels like Im watching a slideshow with animations of a frame? Its hard to explain, but your brain has to piece continuity together whenever fights going because theres so much transition missing.

This sucks... its depressive. I wish they just made us wait until it could be animated by the studio it deserved

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched episode one.

It's not terrible. I mean, it's a huge step down from S1 animation wise, so it's up to the story and writing to keep the show afloat (not a fan of what we'll see covered from the manga in the second half of this season). Even then, the animation showed in this episode was just average. It wasn't bad. It's not Berserk bad. Hell, it's not even Black Clover bad, it's just average. As people have mentioned, the PVs for this show have all been from this episode, so who knows how this show will look from now on.

Honestly, the most disappointing thing about this is the new OP. That is the biggest step down from the first season.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the most disappointing thing about this is the new OP. That is the biggest step down from the first season.
OG9fYBE.gif

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Pissed chibi Tatsumaki doesn't save what is mostly just panning shots.

There's a few nice shots though with Garou vs Genos though.
Yeah. I somewhat like it, but I definitely wish it was more animated. The Garou vs Genos is definitely the best animated part out of it.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Well...at least the animation is still better than series like Black Clover, and other long running anime series...

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if saying a 12 episode series looks better than the average episode in a long running show is a good thing lol

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm disappointed. It wasn't even that bad it was just alright. A clear step down from the original.

Besides not showing any stellar animation the directing just seems kinda lifeless. I'm also not a big fan of the muddy blur like effect they're using on Genos/Any Mecha character.

Comedy is still intact so I'll keep watching but boy am I not expecting much out of this.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Pretty okay episode. Curious to see how much of an overarching plot there is, season 1 just felt like a bunch of gags, albeit very funny ones.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished the episode. It was okay.

Clearly LEAGUES below S1, but nothing egregiously noticeable. The amount of animation tricks to cut corners I spotted was honestly a little funny, but it is what it is. Animating is fucking hard, and I still have to give the new studio credit for trying their best. I dont think ANY studio can come close to madhouse in their prime plus all the sakuga animators they contracted for S1. Still, I'm worried about how the later episodes are going to pan out.

Huge props to all the departments involving sound tho. The sfx, voice actors, and music were all ace. The editing in comedic parts was also pretty awesome. I was worried that would get lost in translation from the manga.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oof... didn't realize this was hulu exclusive in the US... Guess I'll just wait till it ends up somewhere I can watch it on, since I have zero interest in Hulu just for this.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disappointed. I re-watched many of the second half of season 1 episodes during the Viz twitch marathon last week, and I think having memory of the Boros and Sea King fights fresh in my head really affected my viewing of this. Granted, the Genos fight didn't call for that level of action but nonetheless I was really unimpressed with the direction of that fight. Incredibly underwhelming for a series that has gotten a reputation for taking things to the extreme. Even the non-action scenes looked bad. Everything looking all blurry/muddy... I found it very distracting.

As for the good stuff... It's still an adaptation of ONE's work so that's a redeemable quality. I love KING... Probably my favorite character in the manga. So, I'll admit I got a kick of seeing more KING animated despite the execution of that stuff being as poor as the action scenes. The KING engine scene was so underwhelming compared to what I fantasized what the scene would look like animated... I was hoping that it would feel more intense. Still, it's KING and KING is great so it didn't bum me out too much. Other than ONE's story and characters, the OP theme is also killer. So, that's two things I liked.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Better than expected.
Definitely animation quality took a hit.

Still enjoyed my time with the episode.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it was certainly watchable even if there's no denying the quality has dropped significantly. The action scenes in particular are very hard to watch.

With that said though the story this season is more about the pretty funny gags for me than the action so i'll probably endup watching the rest. I'm really happy they kept the same style of soundtrack this time around too, all too used to it changing with anime and it affects the tone of the shows often.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the episode. It was okay.

Clearly LEAGUES below S1, but nothing egregiously noticeable. The amount of animation tricks to cut corners I spotted was honestly a little funny, but it is what it is. Animating is fucking hard, and I still have to give the new studio credit for trying their best. I dont think ANY studio can come close to madhouse in their prime plus all the sakuga animators they contracted for S1. Still, I'm worried about how the later episodes are going to pan out.
I get what you mean, but Mob Psycho 100 (especially season 2, especially episode 5 of season 2) disagrees when it comes to no studio being able to top One Punch Man season 1.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Everything is way, way less 'clean' than Season 1. It felt like I was watching One Punch Man, but with the FOV slider cranked all the way down... but I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Mob Psycho 100 season 1 ALREADY topped OPM and season 2 managed to outdo itself even more lol

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Mob Psycho 100 season 1 ALREADY topped OPM and season 2 managed to outdo itself even more lol
I'll agree that season 2 of MP100 is better animated then season 1 of OPM but there's no way I can say the same for Mob season 1, it's beautiful but nothing in there comes close to topping Boros vs Saitama

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to wait till Season 2 is finished, to binge it like the filthy animal I am - as I usually do, but I didn't even last a single day before watching it. ._.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree that season 2 of MP100 is better animated then season 1 of OPM but there's no way I can say the same for Mob season 1, it's beautiful but nothing in there comes close to topping Boros vs Saitama
Nah, season 1 of Mob was more impressive. OPM was great, but when there wasn't fighting, the show looked average most of the time. Mob constantly has animation flourishes for EVERYTHING, not just the fights.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as bad as I feared but afterwards I rewatched some stuff of Season 1 and hell, that's just on a completely different level

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Narrative and dialogue-wise, I really enjoyed Episode 1. The music was fine too. King's actions in Season 1 make sense now.

Everything else felt off. I seem to remember being able to follow the animation and editing of Season 1 better.

Even the OP (shown as the credits) felt off in terms of the song matching the visuals. The Season 1 OP felt more in sync with the song than this one.

Overall, I'm just relieved that I'm still enjoying the story.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
Isn't JC Staff the same ppl that animated Prison School? If so, I have good faith in them. I also think Prison School had high production value. I'm seeing later episodes (important ones) to be animated really good.

1797473_0.jpg

3a10767b2618aeb40eae23dcb30254680512cdc2_hq.jpg

175468-prison-school-full-of-bodily-fluids-episode-screencap-1x9.jpg

PrisonSchoolHana.jpg

1783761_0.jpg
tumblr_nt3lv1RA5u1rnhl8xo4_500.jpg

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Animation is obviously not as good but I thought the episode was pretty fire anyway. Good to see these characters again.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Narrative and dialogue-wise, I really enjoyed Episode 1. The music was fine too. King's actions in Season 1 make sense now.

Everything else felt off. I seem to remember being able to follow the animation and editing of Season 1 better.

Even the OP (shown as the credits) felt off in terms of the song matching the visuals. The Season 1 OP felt more in sync with the song than this one.

Overall, I'm just relieved that I'm still enjoying the story.
Feeling the same. Animation is quite jarring but I can't place what exactly feels so off.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The animation is a huge step down from the first season.

Thought the episode was still great though! A lot of laughs.

I wouldn't say it looked bad either, it just doesn't live up to OPM standard 1. But outside of Mob Psycho, nothing does.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't JC Staff the same ppl that animated Prison School? If so, I have good faith in them. I also think Prison School had high production value. I'm seeing later episodes (important ones) to be animated really good.

*snip*

Production values can vary greatly even within the same studio, with scheduling being one of the main factors. One that's reportedly awful for OPM S2. Additionally, I thought Prison School wasn't well animated. There were a few nice stills but that's about the only noteworthy thing IIRC.

Hoping for later episodes to amp up the animation is a fruitless endeavor in cases like these, honestly.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what Garou is like after seeing him teased and also briefly talked about during Season 1. Not long left now.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The pacing was a bit too fast for my taste, all the Garou stuff could have filled it's own episode or at least make up half of this episode but they just speed past it faster than speed of sound sonic, and ask for the art and animation it's still the same level as episode 1 which I guess it's okay I should be happy there wasn't any dip but I just hope next season they can the animators a better schedule and bring back the season 1 director

On a more positive note I still really enjoyed the episode, the voice acting was on point and the new ED is even better than the opening