• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
PCSX2 is the most developed PS2 emulator. Most recent stable build, 1.4.0, is years old, and all of the progress has been in the 1.5.0 dev builds. PS2 emulation is full of hacks and whatnot to get a lot of games to run, and the codebase is 32bit instead of 64bit, so that emulator is going to fall off at some point. There is another emulator called Play! that is more up to date coding wise, but it's far less compatible. If you're looking to play games, PCSX2 is your bet. Make sure you use a companion program to save per-game configurations since the emulator doesn't handle that natively and it's a nuisance having to tweak settings to get one game to run, only to have to undo everything to get another to run. Whether out of the box or with some tweaks, most of the games you'll want to play will be playable.

I know about PCSX2 but it seems like it takes way more time for them to release builds compared to the RPCS3 team and correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought PS3 emulation would be way more difficult to achieve than PS2 emulation! RPCS3 seems to evolve at a very fast pace too which is pretty surprising (and awesome) to me.

Can they update the codebase so that it'll be 64bit going forward or will they need to start again from scratch ?

Thanks for Play! as I didn't know that one but it seems very early indeed.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I know about PCSX2 but it seems like it takes way more time for them to release builds compared to the RPCS3 team and correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought PS3 emulation would be way more difficult to achieve than PS2 emulation! RPCS3 seems to evolve at a very fast pace too which is pretty surprising (and awesome) to me.

Can they update the codebase so that it'll be 64bit going forward or will they need to start again from scratch ?

Thanks for Play! as I didn't know that one but it seems very early indeed.
Technically speaking, both are releasing builds at similar rates. PCSX2 has a complied build from the 31st. PCSX2 may have less giant leaps in performance, but it's also over a decade old and we're likely hitting performance saturation, likewise with Dolphin or emulators for older games (even though things like BSNES require high end processors for the most accurate of emulation; simply playing the games has hit saturation ages ago). PS3, because it's more recent, has awhile to go, and it's more obvious when big changes are made. You also have to keep in mind that this emulator really didn't pick up until 2017, and it has been in operation since 2011.

RPCS3 will seem like it's making massive jumps, but the performance jumps are for a few; eventually it'll plateau before they start making huge strides again. After all, less than half the games tested are considered playable, and even fewer of those are actually Peace Walker/P5 good. Plus, they haven't tested all games against all regions, and I doubt they've been tested against all patches and updates.

As far as I've read, they'd have to start from scratch with the PCSX2 coding since the back end is a mess of hacks and whatnot, which is also why they're slow on bigger jumps. If they have to scrap stuff and redo it in a neater fashion, that's going to suck up time, too.

Oct 31, 2017
Technically speaking, both are releasing builds at similar rates. PCSX2 has a complied build from the 31st. PCSX2 may have less giant leaps in performance, but it's also over a decade old and we're likely hitting performance saturation, likewise with Dolphin or emulators for older games (even though things like BSNES require high end processors for the most accurate of emulation; simply playing the games has hit saturation ages ago). PS3, because it's more recent, has awhile to go, and it's more obvious when big changes are made. You also have to keep in mind that this emulator really didn't pick up until 2017, and it has been in operation since 2011.

RPCS3 will seem like it's making massive jumps, but the performance jumps are for a few; eventually it'll plateau before they start making huge strides again. After all, less than half the games tested are considered playable, and even fewer of those are actually Peace Walker/P5 good. Plus, they haven't tested all games against all regions, and I doubt they've been tested against all patches and updates.

As far as I've read, they'd have to start from scratch with the PCSX2 coding since the back end is a mess of hacks and whatnot, which is also why they're slow on bigger jumps. If they have to scrap stuff and redo it in a neater fashion, that's going to suck up time, too.

Ok, it certainly doesn't feel that way but I understand why now, thank you for your insight!

So would you say that PCSX2 is on par with Dolphin at the moment, in terms of performance ? I always thought the latter was pretty much complete while the former still has a ways to go.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly it seems the console exclusives I'm looking forward to seeing running at a higher resolution (Motorstorm Apocalypse, Eternal Sonata, Sonic Unleashed) are still unplayable, can't seem to find any up to date info on Folklore though - is that working well yet?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
All of this headway in RPCS3 has me hoping that PS5 might just have PS3 BC. I know it's a pipe dream, but that would be a HUGE selling point for me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, it certainly doesn't feel that way but I understand why now, thank you for your insight!

So would you say that PCSX2 is on par with Dolphin at the moment, in terms of performance ? I always thought the latter was pretty much complete while the former still has a ways to go.
Dolphin is at 94% when it comes to its entire library being playable, while PCSX2 is at 95%. Not a big difference, but Dolphin has two consoles to work with, and 30% of the games it does run, it runs without any issues like graphical hitches or other things that people might not notice or might not mind at all. PCSX2, on the other hand, has a shit ton of games that run, but there's going to be something like maybe shadows not rendering correctly at certain camera angles no one ever settles on for too long, or framerate drops in areas that didn't have them on the console; things people have to hack and patch their way around, essentially.

So on paper, they may look similar, but Dolphin runs its games better and doesn't have to rely on hacks or workarounds to do it. Dolphin will likely hit its compatibility goal before PCSX2 does, imo.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Tears to Tiara II runs perfectly from what I can tell, and Utawarerumono Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth apparently have translation patches that also work on RPCS3.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
All of this headway in RPCS3 has me hoping that PS5 might just have PS3 BC. I know it's a pipe dream, but that would be a HUGE selling point for me.

I wonder if they've been working on it to move all the PS3 games on PS Now on to more standard hardware, rather than the custom PS3 boards that it currently uses.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could I dump a PS3 game with a standard PC Blu Ray drive or should I really need to hack my PS3 so that it runs homebrew?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
It's verrrry cool but I hope you have a beastly PC.

Ryzen 2600x
Geforce 970
16gb ddr4

Nier, main map is 10 fps. Granted it gets better depending on your location but far from ideal.
And I talked about a beastly PC but I'm not sure, my CPU and GPU use are relatively low.

-Edit-
It's with great pleasure that I will own my error and admit I'm an idiot that shouldn't have skipped the modification of the config file. Turns out it's night and day and indeed 30 fps.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well, MS:PR is my game of the forever, I`m 100%ing it once a year every year on PS3. There is something in this game....
So from time to time I`m trying it on RPCS3 to see if we are finally here and can emulate it properly. Last months had MASSIVE improvements, I`m near 100% it again but this time on my PC, absolutely amazing.
There are some slowdowns at race start (sub 20fps) but not always (depends on combination of track and cars) but other than that it`s 30 fps locked 90% of time (it`s probably better then on PS3 lol). You can even break hard coded 30 fps limit with RPCS3 but then the game speeds up (like Demons Souls).

This is how it looks like when rendered at 1080p (with its signature motion blur):
r0Pzwcr.png
4BwVQWa.png

God damn looks amazing!!

Oct 31, 2017
Dolphin is at 94% when it comes to its entire library being playable, while PCSX2 is at 95%. Not a big difference, but Dolphin has two consoles to work with, and 30% of the games it does run, it runs without any issues like graphical hitches or other things that people might not notice or might not mind at all. PCSX2, on the other hand, has a shit ton of games that run, but there's going to be something like maybe shadows not rendering correctly at certain camera angles no one ever settles on for too long, or framerate drops in areas that didn't have them on the console; things people have to hack and patch their way around, essentially.

So on paper, they may look similar, but Dolphin runs its games better and doesn't have to rely on hacks or workarounds to do it. Dolphin will likely hit its compatibility goal before PCSX2 does, imo.

Again, thanks for the insight. Looking forward to those two reaching 100% with hopefully a new codebase for PCSX2!

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Went through the trouble of dumping a few more of my PS3 games, and decided to see how Anarchy Reigns is holding up, since apparently very few people care about testing it.

It's... getting there, I suppose. It doesn't slowdown, which is something. And at least you *can* play it, if not in the best state!

Pretty decent, is it fully playable? (can you finish it?)

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
MS:PR one lap around The Rift (left RTSS overlay on to show fps counter):

Yep, it`s that good (or even better, YT compression is horrible).

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RPCS3 is a fantastic way to play Peace Walker. The other Metal Gear HD collection games still need work, but I was happy to at least be able to play another Metal Gear game on my PC besides MGSV.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
RPCS3 is a fantastic way to play Peace Walker. The other Metal Gear HD collection games still need work, but I was happy to at least be able to play another Metal Gear game on my PC besides MGSV.
You can play MGS2 on PC. It's got a pretty decent port. You will have to get it physical used though. Don't think it's available anywhere digital. Same with mgs1

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
MS:PR one lap around The Rift (left RTSS overlay on to show fps counter):

Yep, it`s that good (or even better, YT compression is horrible).

TSX instructions must really help Motorstorm, I can't get it playable on my AMD rig.

Pretty decent, is it fully playable? (can you finish it?)

Haven't tested further. It does crash infrequently, so by RPCS3's guidelines it should only be labeled "In-Game"

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone interested, I tried on the latest version with a GTX1060 Max-Q :

- Asura's Wrath : works fine, some slowdowns for no apparent reason during battle (in equal situations it sometimes runs fine).

- Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn : unfortunately still crashes when I start a mission. I once managed to get in game for a few seconds with an older version, and it seemed much smoother than on PS3 (the main reason I want it to work on PC, it has serious slowdowns on the original hardware). No one is going to bother working on this game, so I just hope improvements for bigger titles will trickle down to this one.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017

MGS2 has an official release, really hard to find anyway, but there are some fixes that makes then run perfectly and with control support.
github.com

GitHub - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix: Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Well this mean I can finally play dragons crown end game content on a handheld with stable FPS in say 10 years from now :)

Xbudz

Oct 27, 2017
I created a Tweet thread with some awesome Sega games enhanced to 4K with this emulator.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

What if it had PS1 BC too? Think of the Dinos!

I keep hoping Sony will try and match Microsoft's commitment to BC. PS1-PS4 in one machine would be AMAZING.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU isn't very exciting considering the Remaster is available on PS4 on sale usually often for like $5-10 and already does 1080p 60 fps and 4k 30 FPS without issue (and maybe 4k 60 fps consistently on backwards compatible PS5). MGS4 finally working is much more enticing. Hopefully, Red Dead Redemption will become better too, as I never finished it when I owned a PS3/Xbox 360.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big flagship games get most of the publicity, but RPCS3 for me has primarily been an amazing way of playing the Sega classics which never made the jump to modern systems (or in some cases have been delisted altogether). All of these work great even on mid-tier rigs:

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (as mentioned earlier in the thread)
After Burner Climax (4k60fps pretty easily)
Project Diva F (works at 60fps with patch)
Project Diva F 2nd (works at 60fps with patch)
Project Diva Dreamy Theater 2nd (basically an HD port of the first two PD games on PSP)
Project Diva Dreamy Theater Extend (same except for with Project Diva Extend)

Also Daytona USA, though that has graphical glitches unless you use the slowest interpreter setting. Still runs well though. Another option is Outrun 2 which I believe was also mentioned earlier in here, though with that the PC version is arguably a better choice.

Not Sega specifically but it's also been a great way to play some of the fighters from that gen like JoJo All Star Battle, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
TLOU isn't very exciting considering the Remaster is available on PS4 on sale usually often for like $5-10 and already does 1080p 60 fps and 4k 30 FPS without issue (and maybe 4k 60 fps consistently on backwards compatible PS5). MGS4 finally working is much more enticing. Hopefully, Red Dead Redemption will become better too, as I never finished it when I owned a PS3/Xbox 360.

From a technical standpoint, it's exciting. But agreed about the RDR and especially MGS4 parts

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How would a 5960x cpu with a 1080ti GPU handle this emulator? I just refreshed my PC. Need to finish downloading the drivers for it to work.