• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it all. And I like some of the corny rap in Anarchy Reigns and Madworld. Maybe it'll grow on me, I didn't like some of those songs at first either.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hated it. The beat sounds like it was written in about 30 seconds and the guy has a range of less than half an octave. There's nothing musical about it: it's not intense, there's no building to it, and it doesn't have a good flow. That song wouldn't fit anything. Also, a lot of what he says is incomprehensible; he's talking about fighting, then there's some sentences that make no damn sense, then he's talking about how he loves women, and then about going blow for blow. I honestly don't understand how anyone could like this song. It's as close to objectively bad as something subjective can get.

MKX had a way better song it its trailer.

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marketing messed up. Didn't jive with the trailer at all
full
Hottest track they could've put on there.

Romars2021

Nov 1, 2017
I love rap. But this is the shittiest trailer music I've heard in a while, both bad and didn't fit the action well.
It seemed laughably bad, but maybe my tastes are a bit old fashioned *shrug*

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
After watching the trailer a couple of times, the music has grown on me.

I thought it was shitty first time round, but it's firmly in 'not bad' territory now.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Maybe a little quiet for what's going on but it was good.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not even into hip hop / rap etc. but I thought it was quit cool. Even cooler because of the fact that the song was "weird" :)

By the way. Here is the GOAT hip hop(?) song in a video game trailer! Max Anarchy.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I was originally excited because I thought NetherRealms got a hold of a gmcfoshow and did a track together. Which, is like, the perfect fit! But it's just some rapper dude and there is zero irony to hide behind how low effort it feels... So, that's all kind of a bummer.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I think the people saying 21 sounds like he's not putting in any effort or isn't interested in the track at all are either entirely unfamiliar with how he raps or are just being disingenuous. That how he sounds, and it's really disrespectful of his work to act like he doesn't give a fuck about what he's doing just because you don't like how it sounds.
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, no. It doesn't matter if he sounds sleepy all the time. He still sounds sleepy. It's not about disrespect. It's about the result.

Dear fucking god, between the "it isn't music" and "modern rap is trash, remember the good old days where Nas and Biggie existed" comments, I'm going to blow a goddamn gasket.

No wonder gamers get so much shit thrown at them, y'all are just a bunch of close-minded folks with no desire to try and understand things outside of your limited worldview.

It's why this section always has issues with women, diversity, and anything that is even the slightest bit outside of the predominantly straight, predominantly white POV. If you can't explain your point, you deserve to get a warning or something because you're making sweeeping generalizations about something you know close to nothing about. Just because you listen to Nas and Biggie doesn't mean you know everything about hip-hop.

Get a goddamn clue and actually bother trying to expand your horizons.
I mean...I tried to articulate paragraphs of reasoning why the song doesn't work with this trailer but that doesn't stop anyone from just not reading it or dismissing it in favor of "21 is hard. This song slaps." Let's not pretend that there isn't plenty of close-mindedness going around.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory accusations, History of hostile behavior
What's wrong with the music? They did the same thing with MK10

I wanted to say this...

Pretty sure Wiz was used to market MK10..... complete with the WHOS NEXT tagline

It was a successful campaign, so do it again....

But nerds got a lil more racist now so complain about the rap more in 2018

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to say this...

Pretty sure Wiz was used to market MK10..... complete with the WHOS NEXT tagline

Can't expect everyone to like everything. There's always gonna be disagreements in every facet of life. If some are being genuinely rascist, they should be dealt with.

But not everyone is rascist just because they dislike rap. I remember being in high school and ppl said you were gay if you listened to *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys. Was it true? No. The music just didn't appeal to them.

Music and tastes change all the time. My generation was all about the boy bands and girl groups. Now it's the rap genre. In 10-20 years it'll be something else ppl will be going nuts over. Just listen to what you like and ignore the negative ppl. That's what I do. :)

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
[QUOTE="Samanosuke Akechi, post: 15811064, member: 20263]
Music and tastes change all the time. My generation was all about the boy bands and girl groups. Now it's the rap genre. In 10-20 years it'll be something else ppl will be going nuts over. Just listen to what you like and ignore the negative ppl. That's what I do. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah let's let negativity continue to fester in a community that allowed and borderline glorified harassment towards women in minorities not even three years ago , yeah let's ignore them. worked well the first fucking time

Your comment is probably bundled with good intentions tho

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Love the song choice. Beat slaps and I like the dude's flow a lot. Trailer is awesome and now I'll check out this dude's music for sure.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
While it's not my type of music I applaud it creativitly. It definitely wasn't the generic scream punk noise usually used in a game trailer.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
OP you should know by now that the only music Era tolerates is heavy metal, classic rock, occasional electronic, and hip hop made before 1997. Anything else is basically putting a ice pick through their ears.

EDIT: Oh, and Beyonce. Because you know, everyone like Beyonce.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the cadence of the lyrics doesnt match up with the pacing of the footage. Im all for music that is a juxtaposition to whats happening on screen tonally, but this one just didnt work. I remember really liking the MKX trailer the first time i saw it, even though hip-hop wasn't something i ever associated with Mortal Kombat. It was well executed and still holds up having just watched a minute ago for the first time in years since its release.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's absolutely hilariously bad. Like a shit meme someone would make

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm on the side that hip hop and MK go together but that song did not fit that trailer at all to me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Very amused to come back and find this thread has more comments than the actual reveal thread.

Just last week I was thinking of exploring Mortal Kombat's long and storied and weird evolution through promotional music. Techno, EDM, heavy metal, alt rock, hip-hop and rap... And yet the actual in-game soundtrack is almost never anything like any of it.

But it has turned me on to a variety of music genres and artists I never knew about or thought I'd like. MKX had one trailer using music from Nigel Stanford, and that's totally not something you'd think would be associated with Mortal Kombat.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It fit the trailer quite well, it's just an awful tune.

Hate this Fisher Price mumble rap that's all the rage now, sounds like it was knocked out on the toilet.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
It does sound off because of the mismatched levels and quality. It's as if the song's a pre-eq mono version while MK is in way higher quality and obviously louder.

That MK10 trailer should be a pretty clear example of the difference in mixing. It succeeds in making the music sound like it's part of the video and has an impact, not just background music.

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It's an awful song "sang" by some guy who sounds half asleep, poorly mixed in with a trailer.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Hated it. The beat sounds like it was written in about 30 seconds and the guy has a range of less than half an octave. There's nothing musical about it: it's not intense, there's no building to it, and it doesn't have a good flow. That song wouldn't fit anything. Also, a lot of what he says is incomprehensible; he's talking about fighting, then there's some sentences that make no damn sense, then he's talking about how he loves women, and then about going blow for blow. I honestly don't understand how anyone could like this song. It's as close to objectively bad as something subjective can get.

MKX had a way better song it its trailer.
Ah, you described that horrible song perfectly!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It does sound off because of the mismatched levels and quality. It's as if the song's a pre-eq mono version while MK is in way higher quality and obviously louder.

That MK10 trailer should be a pretty clear example of the difference in mixing. It succeeds in making the music sound like it's part of the video and has an impact, not just background music.

Thank you for being like only the second person ITT to understand audio mixing.

Not sarcasm. I'm serious, I'm glad someone else clearly hears the mixing problems in the trailer.

Ric Flair is broke as fuck. He'll do anything for money.

That said, the track bangs.

oh. well it's kind of depressing now.

But yes, it's a banger

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wanted to say this...

Why are so many people coming in here and assuming we all outright hate rap. It's about this one song.

The rap song used in the MKX trailer was fine. This one wasn't. Please don't jump to, "You're racist if you don't think every single rap song is great."

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched it. Still perfect.

In fact I want Metro and 21 to do the entire soundtrack and it's permanently on the entire time. You can't turn it off in menu and it's just going through the entire game, the entire soundtrack on rotation.

Perfection.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not into hip hop but I thought the music was fine. Hip hop in fighting games goes just as well the techno that got blasted out of arcade machines in the 90s. Also for anyone that suggests that the Mortal Kombat theme is more fitting, that's a no. I love that song but I know that it's terrible and corny. They played that song in gym class when I was in elementary school. Cheesey workout music doesn't work for today's marketing.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why are so many people coming in here and assuming we all outright hate rap. It's about this one song.

The rap song used in the MKX trailer was fine. This one wasn't. Please don't jump to, "You're racist if you don't think every single rap song is great."

He never said "if you don't like this, you're racist", the implication made is that since MKX's release in 2015, nerd culture has gotten progressively, noticeably worse.