• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
Wow, I was out all day and missed this. lol, The last thing I expected today was a casual PS5 announcement, but I like what I'm reading.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In regards to backwards compatibility, I assume it would apply to both physical and digital copies of a game?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
About what I expected (including the release year :P), as in the actual future of gaming, flying in the face of certain out of touch giant tech companies.
I was hoping no raytracing, though, 1st gen RT just isn't worth it, in my opinion. But hey, I'll take it anyway.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Great article eventhough it's based on speculations over the general ideas we got today about the PS5. I think at the time of writing the article, the author wasn't aware that a Naughty Dog artist stated that ray tracing is hardware based and not software based. I really hope that he will consider updating his article to elucidate the info.
When did Naughty Dog artist say that?

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda a shrug at this point. Don't know what to make of 3D audio, it's a thing that already exists that I don't really see dedicated hardware really making it that much better. I think it's something that will come off in a few demos on high-end headphones and will promptly be forgotten after launch. I don't expect much from ray-tracing either, I'd be surprised if AMD is getting what nvidia is right now on their high-end cards and even that isn't quite there yet, will make a good Polyphony demo though. SSD sounds nice but also expensive, 1TB of NVMe is a couple hundred in the PC market so without a major breakthrough (which likely means non-proprietary economies of scale) I don't see this working with the current system and still maintaining a good price ($500?). Now, if Sony got devs to buckle down, compress their assets and stop shipping redundant data at the same time then maybe we'd have something.

I'm much more interested in what else they got. Like controllers and maybe what a next-gen Sony VR looks like. I dunno, I need something more surprising I guess.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes the rumored two-tier Xbox strategy for next-gen seem completely idiotic though, undercutting their own 1st party with a low baseline.

Yes, I think the low end console could easily become an anchor around the platform's neck.

Now for the sake of argument, Somone gave guriella games a PS5 that is identical but has a 6tflop gpu,

Horizon 2 would work exactly the same but at 1440p, no cutbacks other than resolution.
Resolution scales with gpu power, this is just mathematical fact.

This is patently false. There is not always a 1:1 relationship between pixels drawn and FlOps. What if the game as designed uses half the compute simple simulating various aspects of the world and lighting, physics, sound, all decoupled from direct pixel shading?

SSD sounds nice but also expensive, 1TB of NVMe is a couple hundred in the PC market so without a major breakthrough (which likely means non-proprietary economies of scale) I don't see this working with the current system and still maintaining a good price ($500?).

1TB NVMe drives have been selling for ~$100 recently. A large buy for 18 months from now will bring the price per unit well below that.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a super weird way to reveal this stuff. I'm still sad they won't have an E3 conference this year.

At least BC sounds.. promising ? I still want at least ps1 and ps2 BC too but let's see what ends up happening.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
The insane SSD is something I never would have expected as a cornerstone game changer of next gen. I thought there was a fair chance we got a cheap SSD that made loading faster and quieter, and helped keep up with increasing file-sizes. But this faster-than-anything, second-long loading monster? Never could have imagined it.

I totally see what Cerny is saying about it being a huge aspect of actual game design next gen (at least for first party) since you can piece together massive, insanely complex environments behind a single door. I mean, imagine the next God of War. I'm really really interested to see how those load times are utilized.

So glad to have Cerny behind this again. He is just so fucking brilliant.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
Probably just a really nice trick built into unreal that's made more impressive by the ray traced shadows and reflections.

If this is what a baseline real time cutscene can look like on PS5 thanks to real time ray tracing, then we've finally arrived. Someone tell Cliffy B to head back Epic Games because his dream of real time Avatar is essentially here.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The insane SSD is something I never would have expected as a cornerstone game changer of next gen. I thought there was a fair chance we got a cheap SSD that made loading faster and quieter, and helped keep up with increasing file-sizes. But this faster-than-anything, second-long loading monster? Never could have imagined it.

I totally see what Cerny is saying about it being a huge aspect of actual game design next gen (at least for first party) since you can piece together massive, insanely complex environments behind a single door. I mean, imagine the next God of War. I'm really really interested to see how those load times are utilized.

No more minute long walks through magic doorways, or having to spend another minute in that portal place if you wanted to switch realms.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
So with these super fast load times will that fix the bottleneck of I/O in current systems ( as in streaming data in open world games)

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. How incredibly naive this is.

Even if MS did show there specs in June, one year and 4 months until the presumed Nov 2020 launch of next gen, Sony can't just alter there specs,

The chip is designed years in advanced, clocks are decided years in advanced, then Sony needs to secure suppliers of PSU's, fans, console chassis etc

So changing the APU design is impossible and so is changing the clocks, changing the clock will effect the heat output which would mean a different cooling system which would mean a different chassis, so all the deals with manufacturers that Sony have secured would need to be changed.

Simple answer is when making a console they can't just change specs.

If Sony were planning on a 12tflop gpu system and ms announced a 15tflop gpu Sony might be able to add 1 extra tflop if they are lucky but not much more.

Yeah pretty much.

Let's not have the opposite situation after PS4 was announced and specs were given. There were people claiming MS just havent disclosed its secret sauce yet.

Just accept that Xbox 5 X (I can't remember the codename) will be much more powerful at a higher pricepoint.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

The SSD probably isn't the only factor involved in shorter load times

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what does this new fancy ssd mean when it comes to external storage options?

Will the system be smart enough to move a game from external storage to the local drive? Because if they are basing a lot of computing off of the drive, that external drive is going to muck things up.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Sony we're NEVER gonna release clock speeds this far out when things of this nature can change later down the line, similar somewhat with memory. You just don't blow your load this far out from launch.

Feb 10, 2018
This is a super weird way to reveal this stuff. I'm still sad they won't have an E3 conference this year.

At least BC sounds.. promising ? I still want at least ps1 and ps2 BC too but let's see what ends up happening.

Kinda funny games had this opinion that there was a lack of fanfare and hype, and that it's odd Sony decided to randomly release this info with on online article.
Greg did counter though by saying when cerny introduced the ps4 and presented its specs he thought it was boring and more suited to a Internet interview/article.
It's funny because Cernys presentation was the favourite part for me and others at the time.

Feb 10, 2018
So what does this new fancy ssd mean when it comes to external storage options?

Will the system be smart enough to move a game from external storage to the local drive? Because if they are basing a lot of computing off of the drive, that external drive is going to muck things up.

I would of thought games that use these super speedy load times will be required to be stored in the SSD, it won't work if games are stored on a traditional HDD.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah pretty much.

Let's not have the opposite situation after PS4 was announced and specs were given. There were people claiming MS just havent disclosed its secret sauce yet.

Just accept that Xbox 5 X (I can't remember the codename) will be much more powerful at a higher pricepoint.

There isn't really anything to suggest it will be more powerful though...just conjecture. Releasing at the same time, it is probably more likely that they are equivalent with MS having the weaker streaming model and Sony just having the pro.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No they won't. That I agree. That said, they are obviously trying to soften the blow for any potential 'shock' when they reveal the price. It's very deliberate.

In fact it's almost exactly the same as what Phil S. said about the Scorpio on its announcement
They are nothing alike. Phil is saying it'll be more expensive and Cerny is saying pretty much nothing, just a very vague statement to not give anything away, but that it won't be something ridiculous.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah pretty much.

I really don't know anymore which will be the most powerful anymore, I don't think it really matters to be honest.

I have been saying $499 for PS5 + anaconda but after reading what cerny said regarding price he does not not indicate anything it could be $399 just as much as $499 after what cerny said.

A lot of what cerny said is up for interpretation.
He said the PS5 will be no mere upgrade, well that statement covers a lot of potential specs regarding ram and gpu, that statement would apply to 16gb gddr6 + a 11tflop gpu, it would also apply to a 24gb ram + 14tflop spec, the former spec would be possible at $399, so it's easy to jump to conclusions based on this recent PS5 info.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So with these super fast load times will that fix the bottleneck of I/O in current systems ( as in streaming data in open world games)

Pretty much.
They should also be able to make Open World...hell all games be alot denser because they can stream more stuff in faster so no more sparse sections of the game because streaming everything in would take too long.

Spec wise the range topping Xbox will probabbly be higher, but the PS5s SSD will have a huge impact on what we actually see devs doing.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
No more minute long walks through magic doorways, or having to spend another minute in that portal place if you wanted to switch realms.

Right?? It would remove the need for so many of the tricks GoW used to make single-shot work.

And if it increases load times on BC games, as demoed with Spider-Man, you'd see the magic door pop up right away and the rainbow bridge doors would open right up. Exciting to think about replaying it like that.

The SSD probably isn't the only factor involved in shorter load times

I mean, of course not. But we're talking a 16x improvement on load times. There has literally never been a reduction that significant in the history of disc-based consoles. Cerny cites it himself as a revolutionary element that could notably affect game design. More and faster RAM, a bigger CPU jump than PS3->PS4, etc, all contributes, but at the end of the day it's this wild SSD that makes load times minimal enough to open up the way games are designed. I mean, think of how many narrative games have those slow bottleneck passages over and under obstacles just to give the system enough time to read from the HDD.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I hope 3rd party Bluetooth headphones works great on PS5. Don't want to buy ps5 specific headsets.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
1TB NVMe drives have been selling for ~$100 recently. A large buy for 18 months from now will bring the price per unit well below that.

Sony said high end ssd. These cheap nvmes sacrifice performance for low cost by using QLC instead of faster Mlc/tlc nand. (nobody uses slc anymore)

And seems like they'd direction ssds are going, next gen ssds will be again sacrificing speed for cost.

High end are closer to 400 dollars.

Which really makes this Ssd claim super dubious, especially as better Ssds probably are not worth it.

PCIE 5 tech which hasn't been released yet but is expected to in the near future. They are technically correct in saying that it's faster than anything in the market right NOW. Lmao

Even best ssds use only about 20% of pcie 3, regular 10% ish. Only advantage would be need of only two lanes in pcie4 vs 4 in 3. (1 in 5 but zen 2 is pcie4 only, unless it changes).

And only situation where they would be starved for lanes would be dual gpu. Which probably isn't happening.

So I don't think that would give advantage only add unnecessary costs.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Man...if we can get PS4 games like Spider-Man at 8K downscaled to 4K.

Maybe I should wait replay Red Dead II.

Oct 27, 2017
Hang on, are they saying their SSD solution is faster than a Samsung 970 Pro speeds at 3500MB/second read and 2700MB/second write ? That's crazy if that's true.