• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
idky people are acting salty about this. I thought ERA already concluded that "it's just business," and "that's just how business is."

11411.jpg
Can you post a link to "ERA's" post making that statement?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
So my Rpg heart having fable, elder scrolls, fallout, wasteland, avowed, and star field is absolutely nuts.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Which is why we'll see more timed exclusive deals from Bethesda, but not a ton of full on exclusives. Bethesda's games are too huge to not put on everything.

You're not getting it man. ES6 and Starfield are not coming to PS5 unless Sony allows for gamepass downloads.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
For people saying Sony should buy a publisher to counter this (add about ~20-30% to the below as they'd have to pay a premium. And that's assuming no bidding war). There are no cheap options.

Take Two - 18.7B
EA - 37B
Activsion - 62.5B
Ubisoft - 10.5B
CD Projekt - 10.5B
Konami - 6B
Capcom - 7.5B
Square Enix - 7.8B
Nintendo - 75B
Looking at this list, it says to me that even though $7.5 billion is a lot of money, compared to the above figures it seems like a great deal for Microsoft given the amount of studios and huge franchises they got. That's a very simplistic view, I know, as it doesn't take into account other product sectors the companies above may be making money in.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
You are reading into some top-tier PR there, my dude. Square Enix was coming off a successful, multi-million selling reboot… but it couldn't justify a sequel without the direct support of Microsoft… says the CEO who wants you to believe something about a business decision they made.

This reply doesn't surprise me, especially off the heals of the whole insider debacle about the whole Bungie thing. It doesn't matter of it's coming from the horse's mouth anymore if it doesn't fit your narrative.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure what people aren't understanding — it's not competition when a small number of companies own everything. It's not going to end up well for anyone.

Yes it is. It is in every other industry in the world. You don't think Apple and Google are competitors in the phone space? You don't think Nike and Adidas are competitors in the sneaker space? You don't think Netflix and Amazon are competition in the video streaming space? Why would it not be a competition with let's just say 5 major platform holders (though if you count EGS, GOG, Steam, etc...it's more), dozens of publishers and thousands of independent developers competing in the same space? Unless it's a monopoly it's a competition. If Microsoft just bought Nintendo, Sony, Apple, Google, Activision, EA, Take Two, Ubisoft and all the large Japanese publishers in one go...I'd agree with you. That's turning into a monopoly at that point, but we're pretty damn far from that becoming a reality.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is struggling right now, they can't get lavish with cash. Their major tent Poles are all under performing.

Movies - in the toilet thanks to covid.
Music- struggling massively.
Tvs and cameras - customers are choosing the competition for some reason. Sony make great products but they are not capturing market share like LG and Samsung.

Gaming-absolutely flying and their biggest part of the company now.

I don't think they would be happy to splash any where near billions to secure a publisher. That's just my guess though.
I just don't see them not having a response of some kind.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's a a interesting deal, but I reckon there will be a premium tier version of Game Pass once people are hooked into the Eco-System. Which doesn't include current subs which have been bought on the cheap. They own too many developers for its current pricing structure.

Netflix is a $210B company with 190M subscribers on average paying less than what Game Pass subs cost.

Let's say in total Msft game studios are worth $20B. They are already at 15M subscribers and let's say they reach 30M in 2 years. That's already a better ratio than Netflix.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
No they don't. Like any streaming service, more subscribers make up for it. Having it playable on mobile phones etc massively increases the consumer base. They want Gamepass to be a no brainer to massively increase the subscriber base.

It will have a massive subscription numbers, but Gamers are more hyped for day one releases than other media, a large number of people would pay a premium for the mega titles such as Elder Scrolls or Fallout

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
We are on page 145, and I think by this thread's ending, we'll make it to the end folks. Just sit tight.

o71b2Ka.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft can't expand their first party output indefinitely. There will come a tipping point (we may already be there), beyond which, it is not financially viable to support all of their studios, while giving all their games away for "free" as part of Gamepass.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Halo was built on Xbox. It's been exclusive since the beginning, so naturally grew into an Xbox franchise. Bethesda is a pre-existing publisher who already owns a ton of successful IP, it makes no sense for them to suddenly just become Xbox exclusive. Perhaps new Bethesda properties will be timed Xbox exclusives going forward though.
Halo was a Mac exclusive that Microsoft bought to put on the Xbox.

Sep 7, 2020
Sony is struggling right now, they can't get lavish with cash. Their major tent Poles are all under performing.

Tvs and cameras - customers are choosing the competition for some reason. Sony make great products but they are not capturing market share like LG and Samsung.

I don't think they would be happy to splash any where near billions to secure a publisher. That's just my guess though.

TVs is easy to explain,they cost more than LG and Samsung TVs for a similar product, no point in buying a Sony TV. Their phones are also really badly marketed.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Guys do you think that Ikumi Nakamura leaving TGW had anything to do with the acquisition? Or this is too far fetched maybe.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
We are on page 145, and I think by this thread's ending, we'll make it to the end folks. Just sit tight.

o71b2Ka.jpg

Funny, I'm in the acceptance "moving on" phase. When I said that I'm done with gaming, I was told I'm being too emotional. What can I say, when half the games I like are no longer on my preferred system, it sucks the fun right out of gaming.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Yes it is. It is in every other industry in the world. You don't think Apple and Google are competitors in the phone space? You don't think Nike and Adidas are competitors in the sneaker space? You don't think Netflix and Amazon are competition in the video streaming space? Why would it not be a competition with let's just say 5 major platform holders (though if you count EGS, GOG, Steam, etc...it's more), dozens of publishers and thousands of independent developers competing in the same space? Unless it's a monopoly it's a competition. If Microsoft just bought Nintendo, Sony, Apple, Google, Activision, EA, Take Two, Ubisoft and all the large Japanese publishers in one go...I'd agree with you. That's turning into a monopoly at that point, but we're pretty damn far from that becoming a reality.

this post is so dense, it makes osmium look bad

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Sony Pictures posted a record breaking profit last quarter despite COVID. Sony Music is the biggest music publisher in the industry, they're doing the opposite of struggling. Sony has a whole has been doing gangbusters these last few years. Where are you even getting any of this from?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Halo was built on Xbox. It's been exclusive since the beginning, so naturally grew into an Xbox franchise. Bethesda is a pre-existing publisher who already owns a ton of successful IP, it makes no sense for them to suddenly just become Xbox exclusive. Perhaps new Bethesda properties will be timed Xbox exclusives going forward though.

I just don't think Microsoft would have paid $7.5 billion for ZeniMax just to release the titles for $60 on the PS5.

The games won't be exclusive to Xbox consoles, but they'll be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, if that makes sense - PC, Series X, Series S, iPhone (eventually) + Android via xCloud and GamePass.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I honestly don't see any real "arms race", in the vein of third-party publishers getting bought up en masse, happening anytime soon. That's reading the situation wrong. Nintendo won't care about this move one bit. As for Sony, will they acquire studios like Bluepoint? Sure, but that would have been inevitable sooner or later.

Sony already has had, has and will have a multitude of timed exclusivity deals and there is assuredly more in the pipeline - just like they did since the PS4 released. This is not any different. So in terms of buying up third-party publishers, I don't see the impetus here for Sony. Second of all, who would they buy? I don't see the point of buying SE or Capcom when their games sell the most on the PS console ecosystem anyway. As for big western publishers, they are simply too expensive. Otherwise, their first-party publishing slate is completely fine.

In general, this move seems more like a one-off event with Microsoft desperately needing a definitve trump card in both the console business and their Gamepass product offering and Zenimax being the only big western publisher that is privately owned and apparently very inclined to be acquired.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
So do you believe that Insomniac's game should've been multiplat, considering Spidey used to be multiplat?

Multiplat is stretching it. Most of their games have been on Playstation. The one game that came out on multiple consoles flopped. The one game that came out on only xbox flopped. Insomniac have their audience on Playstation. It was a natural acquisition for a studio.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see any real arms race, in the vein of third-party publishers getting bought up en masse, happening anytime soon. That's reading the situation wrong. Nintendo won't care about this move one bit. As for Sony, will they acquire studios like Bluepoint? Sure, but that would have been inevitable sooner or later.

Sony already has had, has and will have a multitude of timed exclusivity deals and there is assuredly more in the pipeline - just like they did since the PS4 released. This is not any different. So in terms of buying up third-party publishers, I don't see the impetus here for Sony. Second of all, who would they buy? I don't see the point of buying SE or Capcom when their games sell the most on the PS console ecosystem anyway. As for big western publishers, they are simply too expensive.

In general, this move seems more like a one-off event with Microsoft desperately needing a trump card in both the console business and their Gamepass product offering and Bethesda being the only big western publisher that is privately owned and apparently very inclined to be acquired.
Yep their desperation fueled this purchase. But I'm interested to see how it pays off for them. I think it will

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I'm in the acceptance "moving on" phase. When I said that I'm done with gaming, I was told I'm being too emotional. What can I say, when half the games I like are no longer on my preferred system, it sucks the fun right out of gaming.

But you can still play them on PC! It might not be the most viable option, but you still have an option.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
The games won't be exclusive to Xbox consoles, but they'll be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, if that makes sense - PC, Series X, Series S, iPhone (eventually) + + Android via xCloud and GamePass.
There will be some Bethesda published exclusives. But the biggest IPs, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Wolfenstien, will still be multiplatform most likely. Any Xbox exclusive Bethesda game going forward will likely be from one of their smaller properties, or experimental new IP.