• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of Jill's main outfits do you think is the most iconic?

• S.T.A.R.S. Uniform (RE1/RE Remake)

Votes: 1,221 54.0%
  • Tubetop Outfit (RE3)

Votes: 857 37.9%
  • B.S.A.A. Uniform (RE5)

Votes: 65 2.9%
  • Brainwashed Jumpsuit (RE5)

Votes: 54 2.4%
  • B.S.A.A. Wetsuit (Revelations)

Votes: 66 2.9%

• Total voters

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
RE3 is the most iconic. It's what most people would recognize.

It's also the best.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this one bit. Sexualization of female characters in media has detrimental effects on both women and men. While I acknowledge women are in the receiving end for the ridicule, impossible standards, and negative stereotypes; it's an issue I firmly believe men also need to take stand on as well to make a real difference.

You have to stop looking at my posts outlining the flaws I see in yours or anyone's justifications of Jill's design as a means for me to police the way they should think. I'm not trying to convert or strong-arm you or anyone into my way of thinking or anything. I'm in an online discussion board pointing out how I feel and discern the things being pointed out. I disagreed with your claim that the game provided a good enough context for Jill's attire and you responded and we went back and forth.

And finally, just because I labelled Capcom's design decision to dress Jill that way for RE3 as sexist trash doesn't mean the other even more reprehensible designs out there will be spared from the criticism. You're free to go through my post history where I voice my opinion on those designs as well if you felt I'm unfairly targeting RE3.
Men are not negatively impacted by sexualized designs of women and I don't see how you could even bring it up as if they are. Even your examples go over everything negative women experience but don't touch on a single issue men face from it.

Should men speak out against problematic designs? Yes but this does not mean any time you criticize or label something problematic that women are going to agree with you and even if you don't like hearing it topics regarding sexualization is mainly about our feelings considering the way it impacts us. Not all of us view sexualized designs as inherently bad but because there is such an imbalance that impacts us we are more critical of how they are designed and presented. So again, Jill's outfit is impractical and definitely designed with fanservice in mind but I don't mind because it is still a normal outfit and for me is justified by the story which is a zombie apocalypse and has a massive tyrant hunting her. The game never goes out of it's way to put her in compromising positions or gross poses.

The only reason these chain of responses happened is because you thought it was outrageous that she had time to put boots on which takes like 10 seconds meanwhile an outfit change for practical reasons would have taken much longer and this continued because we started disagreeing with story justification. You can feel the design is problematic without pushing that onto people who don't. Saying people are making up scenarios which no one has done because you don't personally feel a zombie apocalypse means there is urgency is dismissive.

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Jill besides her STARS uniform is they give her a decent costume but then you see the concept were more interesting.
latest

they chose the left

latest

They chose
latest

Every headgear and hairstyle in the concept art is far better than the final design.

Honestly that Revelations Concept Jill could have tied the STARS uniform for me.

I really want that beret w/headphones or bandana w/headphones design in the next Jill game.

OP
OP
Canas Renvall

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I suspect OP used official renders for all but RE3, in which he used an out of proportion fan render because he knew it would otherwise win. ;)
I didn't do this on purpose, I swear! :P Instead of trying to use the RE3 CG render, I was trying to use the REmake version of it so that people would see it at its best. I really didn't realize this was a fan render, I'll get a better one! Sorry for the lateness of it, but hey, better late than never!

For the record, I adore almost all of Jill's outfits. But there is definitely one I think of as the defining outfit. I won't reveal it yet since I don't want to influence the polling. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do this on purpose, I swear! :P Instead of trying to use the RE3 CG render, I was trying to use the REmake version of it so that people would see it at its best. I really didn't realize this was a fan render, I'll get a better one! Sorry for the lateness of it, but hey, better late than never!

For the record, I adore almost all of Jill's outfits. But there is definitely one I think of as the defining outfit. I won't reveal it yet since I don't want to influence the polling. :)
latest

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
My problem with Jill besides her STARS uniform is they give her a decent costume but then you see the concept were more interesting.
latest

they chose the left

latest

They chose
latest

Every headgear and hairstyle in the concept art is far better than the final design.

Honestly that Revelations Concept Jill could have tied the STARS uniform for me.

I really want that beret w/headphones or bandana w/headphones design in the next Jill game.

Do we have that for RE5?

I think her BSAA outfit to be outstanding.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the character, the S.T.A.R.S. uniform is def the most iconic. I always instantly think of it when I think of Jill.

I actually really LIKE her RE5 BSAA uniform, looks very professional and something I could see her wearing in the field.

I never liked her RE3 costume, I thought it was dumb, but it was a 1999 female Playstation Protag in the staring role, so it was just one of those things that happened because Lara Croft existed and sex appeal.

I hope if they remake RE3 they give her something better, and just make it an alt like they did for Claire in RE2 Remake.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
I don't have any problem with the tube top as far as objectification goes, I just think it's ugly as hell. Still better than the brainwash jumpsuit though.

Stars > BSAA > Wetsuit then idc

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have that for RE5?

I think her BSAA outfit to be outstanding.
Only thing I've seen of 5's is
latest

0e79e3992067bd5d7b0111b793aaec25.jpg

Besides the story boards of her wearing it in scenes before she was cut back and Sheva filled in more

Based on all the artwork it seems that outfit was originally designed to be an "athletic"outfit for Africa similar to Chris' but once they started rearranging the stuff from the racism concerns and others it just became the flashback costume.

Last edited:

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
i don't like RE so when i think of jill valentine i think of the chick from mvc2

latest

i hear she's a member of stars

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Beret Jill. No question! It's the Jill you have in MvC2. The Jill Chun-Li references in Pocket Fighter. Way too iconic.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Men are not negatively impacted by sexualized designs of women and I don't see how you could even bring it up as if they are. Even your examples go over everything negative women experience but don't touch on a single issue men face from it.
Here is a study done showcasing the effects of objectified content to male brains. I already said in the previous post women face more of the issues I didn't deny it. But I'm not going to dismiss the negative impacts it has on men as well.
Should men speak out against problematic designs? Yes but this does not mean any time you criticize or label something problematic that women are going to agree with you and even if you don't like hearing it topics regarding sexualization is mainly about our feelings considering the way it impacts us.
I never once claimed you or any other group of people have to agree with me. Merely making a rebuttal at comment you made does not mean I'm forcing you to agree with me.
Not all of us view sexualized designs as inherently bad but because there is such an imbalance that impacts us we are more critical of how they are designed and presented.
Neither do I. A sexualized design is fine as well for me as long as it has relevance and context.
So again, Jill's outfit is impractical and definitely designed with fanservice in mind but I don't mind because it is still a normal outfit and for me is justified by the story which is a zombie apocalypse and has a massive tyrant hunting her. The game never goes out of it's way to put her in compromising positions or gross poses.
And like I said earlier, just because it doesn't go as bad as a game like Dead or Alive with creepy angle shots and compromising positions doesn't exempt it from criticism. I've already said I'm basing my judgement of Capcom's justification of the design based on what they've presented. And from the prologue screenshots they have presented Jill as intentionally leaving to escape her predicament in that outfit.
The only reason these chain of responses happened is because you thought it was outrageous that she had time to put boots on which takes like 10 seconds meanwhile an outfit change for practical reasons would have taken much longer and this continued because we started disagreeing with story justification. You can feel the design is problematic without pushing that onto people who don't. Saying people are making up scenarios which no one has done because you don't personally feel a zombie apocalypse means there is urgency is dismissive.
What exactly do you find about my statements that is pushing? You're making rebuttals to my arguments the same way, if you're going to accuse me of something how am I any different from you then? Also, wearing an attire is substantially longer than putting shoes on? Have you ever seen the movie Terminator? Do you remember the scene when Kyle Reese is running from the cops? It takes less than 15 seconds for him to put an attire on himself:
d2KpTZs.gif

I fail to see why it would take so much longer for Jill.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tube top is the most iconic IMO. The other STARS outfits are just very generic, and the tube top was what she wore in a game all about her.

My favorite is the wet suit, though. If only it had Julia Voth's face.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The tubetop is hideous, what's wrong with you people.
It's not asking which you prefer, it's asking which is the most iconic, which tends to mean what most people would recognize. You could put any number of characters in the STARS outfit, because its a uniform and forgettable whereas the "tubetop" is definitively her thing.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a study done showcasing the effects of objectified content to male brains. I already said in the previous post women face more of the issues I didn't deny it. But I'm not going to dismiss the negative impacts it has on men as well.
Women face pretty much 95% of the issues that come from sexualization. One example that only impacts a mans brain and not how they are treated or perceived is not valid enough for me to agree with bringing them up as being able to talk over women on what is or isn't sexist.

I never once claimed you or any other group of people have to agree with me. Merely making a rebuttal at comment you made does not mean I'm forcing you to agree with me.
You are incredibly dismissive and aggressive about people who like or defend the design. Stop acting as if you accept other people who don't find it problematic.

This is one of your comments in this thread:

It's about the caliber of response I expect from people that defend that excuse for a character design.

and you go out of your way to be critical of really silly things like trying to argue wearing boots in her apartment as if it's unheard of or that putting on boots takes as much time as an outfit. Putting on boots takes like 10 seconds and as someone who owns boots exactly like those I can confirm that. Saying stuff like the above is dismissing the plenty of women who like the design and don't have a problem with it.

Neither do I. A sexualized design is fine as well for me as long as it has relevance and context.

And like I said earlier, just because it doesn't go as bad as a game like Dead or Alive with creepy angle shots and compromising positions doesn't exempt it from criticism. I've already said I'm basing my judgement of Capcom's justification of the design based on what they've presented. And from the prologue screenshots they have presented Jill as intentionally leaving to escape her predicament in that outfit.
Of course the design can be criticized but that doesn't mean all criticisms are true or bad. You took something from the opening that I and others didn't. An infection spreading quickly and her discussing her last escape is a sign to me this is urgent to her but I also can look past the fact that RE has horribly cheesy writing and opened with a shot to look cool rather than express the urgency that is evident from the setting. I also think that scene isn't completely unlikely. For arguments sake, she sat down to put her boots on quickly and then loaded her gun or she had her ammo stashed under the bed and loaded it while sitting down. Her sitting down doesn't make it impossible to be urgent in a situation but I can agree it's not the best way to depict urgency.

What exactly do you find about my statements that is pushing? You're making rebuttals to my arguments the same way, if you're going to accuse me of something how am I any different from you then? Also, wearing an attire is substantially longer than putting shoes on? Have you ever seen the movie Terminator? Do you remember the scene when Kyle Reese is running from the cops? It takes less than 15 seconds for him to put an attire on himself:
d2KpTZs.gif

I fail to see why it would take so much longer for Jill.
What?

If you want to argue an undressed Jill wouldn't take long to grab some better clothes then sure but the idea that she can quickly change out of her current outfit into something more appropriate is weird. Unless you're wearing something that would slow you down immensely there is no reason to waste time changing when your thought process would be to get the hell out before the infection spreads close enough and traps you.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading the magazines when RE3 came out that said that the reason why Jill is wearing such an "improper" dress during the apocalypse is because she was getting ready to go to the airport. But suddenly zombies happen. I dont actually remember anything from the game but strangely I remember that bit lol

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Tubetop of course cause its iconic. Not my favorite though, that would be BSAA uniform. Also would be hilarious if tubetop isn't in the RE3 remake.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tube top had that late 90's simple, but memorable CGI look that I adored when I saw examples of it in the game magazines of the time. Regina from Dino Crisis has the same idea behind her look. It's not over-designed, if anything it's under-designed. But sleek and effective. The tube top just springs to the mind immediately. Later outfits like in RE5 look a little too busy. Jill's RE1 outfit is good, but it's ultimately a variation of the same tactical outfit as her squad, so not as memorable for me.

Oct 25, 2017
If people think Jill won't have the classic outfit in REmake 3 exclusively for sexualization reasons...
Capcom don't care:

it will just come down to the team deciding on iconic vs something that's more fitting.
If they do i'd go with something like
latest

i guess
Though personally i'd just have in the classic for a prologue then when she gets to the RPD she gets a tactical uniform out of her locker.(that would be a new design, blue version of the Male STARS uniform or a blue version of the CV STARS uniform.)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
Why? Because you think the costume is tasteless or because you think the STARS one is more popular? I think both reasonings are debatable.

Popularity and iconic is not debatable.

Resident Evil 1, DC & REmake sold over 10million. MvC2 adds another couple of million. So... approx 12 million games sold with the STARS uniform across dozens of platforms.

RE3 sold 3.5 million. On one platform. A game which is widely considered a minor entry in the series.

Significantly fewer people would recognise Jill based on the bland tube top outfit.

Last edited:

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
They should just update Jill's RE 1 and RE 3 outfits in a subtle yet effective way like how they did Leon's in 2.

th

RE-2-Remake-Leon-RPD.jpeg

New-Resident-Evil-2-Remake-Biohazard-Re-2-Leon-Scott-Kennedy-Cosplay-Costume-Police-Outfit.jpg_640x640.jpg

...And then include the originals as unlockables after beating the remake(if it ends up existing).

My favorite Jill outfit is the Stars one, but I can see them improving it.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
S.T.A.R.S. Uniform (RE1/RE Remake) > B.S.A.A. Wetsuit (Revelations) > B.S.A.A. Uniform (RE5) > Tubetop Outfit (RE3) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brainwashed Jumpsuit (RE5)

The wetsuit reminds me of Metal Gear Solid.

e: BUT ICONIC most definitely goes to the tube top. As silly as it is, it made it into the RE movie on a terrible, terrible performance.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
It's not asking which you prefer, it's asking which is the most iconic, which tends to mean what most people would recognize. You could put any number of characters in the STARS outfit, because its a uniform and forgettable whereas the "tubetop" is definitively her thing.

The iconic Jill Valentine is a badass with a beret, not that look that screams "I'm a tenth grader in 1994 just a few minutes away from putting in my butterfly clips."

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
R3 was in no doubt already in development when and before RE2 was released less than a year later.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The iconic Jill Valentine is a badass with a beret, not that look that screams "I'm a tenth grader in 1994 just a few minutes away from putting in my butterfly clips."
I think of Jill I think of the tube top. And this is despite the fact I've never even played RE3. Obviously a lot of other people agree.

I think Wolverines yellow outfit is ugly dosent stop it from being his most iconic look that doesn't involve Hugh Jackman.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
The tube top is ridiculous. Someone remind me if they explain why she's wearing that in the game. Do the zombies invade Raccoon City while she's out shopping at the mall with her gal pals? I guess that'd make sense. Please don't tell me that's her new uniform or something...

Yes while she is wearing those clothes zombies had in fact invaded the city. The mansion incident was in July and RE3 takes place in September. Nothing had happened till then with them probably assuming the incident in the Arklay mountains was end of it.
I hope they keep this outfit in 3's remake just to hear people like you complain. Sounds rather prudish to me.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yes while she is wearing those clothes zombies had in fact invaded the city. The mansion incident was in July and RE3 takes place in September. Nothing had happened till then with them probably assuming the incident in the Arklay mountains was end of it.
I hope they keep this outfit in 3's remake just to hear people like you complain. Sounds rather prudish to me.
I'm not looking at it from a sexuality angle myself, just a practicality one, and I believe Jill looks plain silly in that outfit. It would not fit the more grounded, gritty tone that REmake 2 ran with (that will very likely persist into REmake 3). I love Sheva and Sherry's fanservice outfits from 5 and 6, so it ain't got nothing to do with being prudish. It's just a somewhat goofy outfit for Jill to be wearing, considering the circumstances. Leon and Claire got huge upgrades to their classic looks, in my eyes, so I'm sure Jill will get the same treatment.