• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• Devil May Cry 5

• Luigi's Mansion 3

• Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

• Gears 5

• Days Gone

• Fire Emblem Three Houses

• Untitled Goose Game

Results are only viewable after voting.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I wouldn't say any of them got snubbed at all lest so egregiously.

I enjoyed many in this list, but none of them is somehow a lock in for TGA.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Naw man, Outer Wilds shouldn't even be nominated.
It's fun, but nowhere great imho. Edgewater is everything the game has to offer, nothing change from there, not even the tension and challenge.
Outer Worlds is the anti-capitalist Fallout-like.

Outer Wilds is a game where you explore a (miniature) solar system in a space ship that looks like a hodgepodge of parts held together by rope and duct tape attached to far too powerful rocket boosters, trying to find out why the sun is going supernova in about 22 minutes and why you keep looping back to that 22 minute starting point every time you die.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's an obvious snub this year. Lot's of good games but few standout titles.

That said, it's still disapointing that something like Disco elysium, Outer wilds or Age of Wonders: Planetfall will never have a chance at a nomination even in a year where the AAA stuff is pretty weak.

It seems like unless your smaller game is short, it'll struggle to get enough attention for GOTY.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Days Gone an option? Would it still be included if it wasn't a Sonya first party title?

xKLpno2.gif

DMC5

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Outer Worlds is the anti-capitalist Fallout-like.

Outer Wilds is a game where you explore a (miniature) solar system in a space ship that looks like a hodgepodge of parts held together by rope and duct tape attached to far too powerful rocket boosters, trying to find out why the sun is going supernova in about 22 minutes and why you keep looping back to that 22 minute starting point every time you die.
whoops, my bad. Yeah, I was talking about Outer Worlds not Outer Wilds.
I've read some positive reviews about Wilds, but haven't tried it yet.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Disco Elysium being left out just shows how much of a joke the awards part of this is. It's a commercial, not an awards show of any importance or merit.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
As a huge Days Gone fan I'd say that, but DMC5 is the correct answer. Death Stranding, Control, and Outer Worlds have no business being above DMC5 in any category. Death Stranding can be best walking simulator and that's about it.

mouzone

Oct 30, 2017
Leaving out Disco Elysium from this poll is even more egregious than its TGA GOTY snub. Makes this poll seem disingenuous.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 is the best game in the franchise and one of the most exciting third person shooters in a long time - and I'm not even a big fan of the franchise. Such an evolution compared to Gears 4, and it's a joy to play really. I can understand why some indies are missing, a lot of people didn't play some great unknown titles for sure, but Gears 5 really should not be missing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 is the best game in the franchise and one of the most exciting third person shooters in a long time - and I'm not even a big fan of the franchise. Such an evolution compared to Gears 4, and it's a joy to play really. I can understand why some indies are missing, a lot of people didn't play some great unknown titles for sure, but Gears 5 really should not be missing.

Gears 5 not being nominated just shows you how underwhelming it was to be honest. It should have been an absolute shoe in for a nomination in a weak AAA year like this but it's nowhere to be seen. There's a reason for that, they didn't just forget it existed.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Can you explain why gears 5 is the best gears in the franchise, not including multiplayer? I'm curious as the campaign was boring as fuck after chapter 1.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why gears 5 is the best gears in the franchise, not including multiplayer? I'm curious as the campaign was boring as fuck after chapter 1.

Opinions and all, but personally I thought it was really great. The open world was a bit basic but it added extra variety. The part in the desert with the shards was impressive. The combat system was meatier than ever with much more tactical options than before (flank routes, the commands you can give to your robot, etc.). I've never had this much fun with a Gears game before, and no Gears game ever made my personal top 10 of a year. Gears 5 makes it quite easily.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disco Elysium is one of the top non-port or DLC game on Meta and the 2nd place on Opencritic. It got some smaller noms but should have been in the big category too and should have been an obvious entry in the poll.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Disco Elysium. It was snubbed so thoroughly it's not even in your poll, OP.
I mean, it's only the third most critically acclaimed game of the year, who cares, amirite?

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When I saw this thread I said I'm going in there and I'm going to vote for Disco Elysium. And....It's not even on the list :/ What is going on here?!

It got robbed at TGA nominations and it got robbed right here. WHY?!

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Three Houses, Disco Elysium, and Outer Wilds look like notable omissions. I can't blame the Game Awards for it though, since they only collect nominations. This is just a simple numbers game. Some games are still going to remain niche among people who regularly play games. Some ideas simply have a more limited appeal, though having smaller budgets and marketing pushes makes a huge difference as well.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I only voted for Fire Emblem because Disco Elysium wasn't on the poll for some reason.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds just got snubbed so hard it missed the poll about being snubbed.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I voted DMC5 but the real answer is Disco Elysium. Getting the snub because it is PC only...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
TGAs are not very disco. The DE snub is the only one that bothers me. Didn't expect Dicey Dungeons or Slay the Spire to show up there in the first place, but DE was actually covered by much of the press and yet it's still the same old shooters and sequels dominating the categories.

FE3H is alright, but it's not really breaking any new ground and has a lackluster second half. So whatever. I liked that Kind Words was one of the nominees in some obscure category. Would be nice if it won it.

Last edited:

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is undoubtedly my personal game of the year.
But TGA feels like a popularity contest, so I'm not surprised it isn't there.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
It's Disco Elysium, and the fact that it's not even in the poll here just goes to show how overlooked the game is.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Misread the poll and voted on the wrong thing.

I thought the list were the nominees, and we were voting for which was the odd game to be nominated (I voted Goose game).

I thought this because it straight up looked like the GOTY list. I was thinking "oh all these games are pretty good GOTY contenders, except the goose game".

So now with that in mind, I'm gonna go look at the actual nominees now....

Wow the poll looks a lot better than the actual nominees. The ones that looked odd to me: 1. Resident Evil 2 (it's a remake, to me it's like the same game (design) running for GOTY in two different years), 2. Smash 5 (it's too samey as previous entries, despite how big it is, it's not fresh), and 3. Death Stranding (haven't played it, but this must be one of the lowest meta scoring games to be a GOTY nominee).

Regarding my answer to the actual poll. Luigi's Mansion 3. It's such a well made game with a lot of attention to detail.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So many games are released every year. Some are bound to be snubbed.

Maybe do what the Oscars did and increase the nominations up to 10.