• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in one of these. I'm a PSVR owner but I rarely play it due to how much of a pain in the ass it is to hook up and play with. I would love to be able to just pick up the headset and just strap it on and not worry about it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm interested in one of these. I'm a PSVR owner but I rarely play it due to how much of a pain in the ass it is to hook up and play with. I would love to be able to just pick up the headset and just strap it on and not worry about it.
This is the exact reason I don't play my rift as much as I want to and why I think the quest will be a game changer.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
64gb for me. I tend to delete 80% of games once I finish them, will keep installed the ones I play the most. I expect to upgrade in as soon as 2 years if the right tech comes along anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
What are you guys going with the 64 or 128?

I went with the 128GB model. Probably not needed at all, but I said screw it.

Besides the cross-buy games I already own, plan to pick up Beat Saber, Superhot, Shadow Point, Sports Scramble, Virtual Desktop and Vader Immortal. Those along with the cross-buy games and free apps like Big Screen and YouTube VR, should hold me over for some time.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
64 for sure, the games are not that big so far. I don't have enough money to get the larger storage version plus the games/case I wanted.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
That's not quite correct. The Rift S will give you a different library of games altogether than Quest. There is some overlap, true, especially at launch since Oculus tried to get the biggest VR classics for Quest launch, but since Quest is basically a dedicated game console, and based on a different architecture entirely, there will be exclusive games for it. There are already known timed-exclusives, like Vader Immortal or Quest of the Gods, timed DLC exclusives (Moss), and other games like Face your Fears 2 haven't been announced for any other platform (the first one was only available on Gear VR / Oculus Go)

They are pushing a new platform, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't be talking about Rift versions, but there's little to prevent ports to the Rift. And as far as different architectures go, they share the same controller and tracking systems. The difference is power. Well that and one being completely wireless, but being wireless is not going to translate into a drastically different experience in terms of the games they make. Even wireless you have to create playspace boundaries. It would be easier to port from Quest to Rift than from Rift to Quest so I don't see what developer is just going to skip out on Rift if there's a Quest version when it's already hard to make money with VR only games. It also wouldn't make sense for Oculus to pay devs to keep games off the Rift for the Quest. They own both platforms. So time exclusives, sure. I can live with that. Usually improvements are made to the experience when it gets ported to another platform.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I ordered it but... I'm wondering if I should cancel and then wait to order when it cheaper. Since it's $400 on top of needing games... hm...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man... I ordered it but... I'm wondering if I should cancel and then wait to order when it cheaper. Since it's $400 on top of needing games... hm...

It's pretty likely the 64GB isn't going to get a price cut for a good time, maybe until a successor is announced. It's possibly subsidized, if not it is being sold at break-even essentially.

The 128GB nets them an additional $90 most likely so they might be making a few bucks on that one.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the chrome cast inside android TVs (like Sony) are the correct version for streaming from quest?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They are pushing a new platform, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't be talking about Rift versions, but there's little to prevent ports to the Rift. And as far as different architectures go, they share the same controller and tracking systems. The difference is power. Well that and one being completely wireless, but being wireless is not going to translate into a drastically different experience in terms of the games they make. Even wireless you have to create playspace boundaries. It would be easier to port from Quest to Rift than from Rift to Quest so I don't see what developer is just going to skip out on Rift if there's a Quest version when it's already hard to make money with VR only games. It also wouldn't make sense for Oculus to pay devs to keep games off the Rift for the Quest. They own both platforms. So time exclusives, sure. I can live with that. Usually improvements are made to the experience when it gets ported to another platform.
By different architecture I meant mobile vs PC, Snapdragon versus Intel/nVidia/AMD. It's not zero effort to port a game from one to the other, it takes time and money, no matter which direction you go. If a Quest game was ported to PC, they would want to improve the quality of the models, textures, lighting, shaders, to make it match the expected quality of PC VR. Again, look at Oculus Go, it has quite a lot of exclusives that never made it to PC, though it'd be pretty easy to convert most Go games' controls to Oculus Touch, and few Go games are dependent on being limited to 3DOF.

Again, Face Your Fears is a good example of a game that would have been perfect for the Rift, but never got ported. You can't just assume all games on Quest will be available on Rift. Particularly if Quest sells a lot better - there's a reason a lot of VR games come out on PSVR first, because it has sold like 4 times as many units as PC VR.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-launch-lineup-game-price/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Prices kind of suck TBH.

Virtual Desktop not only doesn't support cross-buy, but raises the Quest price from 13.99 to 19.99?

I don't really get first party Oculus titles: Did they just flip a coin to decide what gets 19.99 pricing and what's 29.99? Sports Scramble is especially odd. It seems pretty shallow, yet it gets put in the "premium" category.

I see much sale watching in my future.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Got a 64GB quest. It's going to be my first real VR experience since I only played a little bit of gear VR. I wonder how blown my mind is going to be 😃

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I should be getting mine on Tuesday and I can't wait! I have a Vive but I feel like this will get way more use because of how pick up and play it is.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a PSVR owner with many of these games already in my library, I'm still fighting like hell to keep myself from buying one of these. The QOL boost of being wireless, self-contained, and supposedly less-fussy tracking is a powerful draw. I'll certainly be watching this thread closely and living vicariously through those that make the jump.

Don't forget the controllers. There's analog on these Oculus Touch.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty excited for Quest. Been looking forward to it more than any of the PC headsets.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my relationship with VR is mixed in that i love it but after work and everyday errands i'm too exhausted to mess with it. this seems to be the cure but i'm shaky on getting the first iteration

watching from a distance. comfortability is great but so is having your headset plugged into a $1000 GPU

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
my relationship with VR is mixed in that i love it but after work and everyday errands i'm too exhausted to mess with it. this seems to be the cure but i'm shaky on getting the first iteration

watching from a distance. comfortability is great but so is having your headset plugged into a $1000 GPU

Regarding your first point I feel largely the same, even as someone who's owned every major VR headset with the exception of WMR, but that's a feeling that I have largely because of the setup. I'd be down to *play* some VR games for a bit even after a long exhausting day, but then the part where I have to boot up Steam VR, fiddle with that, make sure all the tracking hardware is still setup correctly, troubleshoot and re-setup when it's inevitably not, and actually get into a game is super off-putting.

Knowing that I can just pull the headset onto my face, pick up the controllers and immediately jump into Beatsaber for 15 minutes is suuuuuuuuper enticing. Also no more wires. And no more lighthouses bolted to my wall. And no more having ugly PC hardware in my living room. And no more having to deal with Windows inevitably breaking things.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I pre-ordered today on Amazon and what are the chances I still get it by tuesday? Slim to none?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm, just casted to my TV. You seem to need to use the oculus app as a middle-man though.
Cool, thanks for the info. Are you on android or iPhone? Is the Oculus app asking for a chrome cast to mirror to or are you mirroring to your phone and then casting/mirroring your phone to the tv? Does that make sense? Can you use your phone like normal while people watch a mirror of the quest on the tv? Or is the quest, your phone, and the TV all showing the same thing at the same time?

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of hardware, how much better is this supposed to be over PSVR?

(Dragon Ball Z power levels are always the preference)

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I got a chance to try the Beat Saber Demo on the Quest again and boy howdy is it a bit of a visual downgrade. Totally worth it for the ability to play anywhere any time, and the tracking is spot on. I played expert mode at PAX East and it had no problem keeping up.

Can't wait for Tuesday. Gonna buy some games.

In terms of hardware, how much better is this supposed to be over PSVR?

(Dragon Ball Z power levels are always the preference)

GPU wise, it's like Krillin (PS4) to Piccolo (Quest).
Display wise it's like Yamcha (PS4) to Piccolo after he fused with Nail (Quest).
Tracking wise it's like Krillin (PS4) to Broly from Super (Quest).

Last edited:

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Cool, thanks for the info. Are you on android or iPhone? Is the Oculus app asking for a chrome cast to mirror to or are you mirroring to your phone and then casting/mirroring your phone to the tv? Does that make sense? Can you use your phone like normal while people watch a mirror of the quest on the tv? Or is the quest, your phone, and the TV all showing the same thing at the same time?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I'm casting from the headset to my phone then casting the phone screen to my TV. It looks like there might be a way to set up something else in the app as it gives a dropdown list of casting destinations but only my phone is selectable. So you wouldn't be able to use your phone while casting.

EDIT: Oh ya, and I'm on android.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
excited to hear people's impressions - the device sounds dope as hell

i'm with you. this feels like 2-3 years away from being my personal jumping on point.

ease of use, high quality tracking - just need the gpus & screen to bump up slightly and i'm 1000% in

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I'm casting from the headset to my phone then casting the phone screen to my TV. It looks like there might be a way to set up something else in the app as it gives a dropdown list of casting destinations but only my phone is selectable. So you wouldn't be able to use your phone while casting.

EDIT: Oh ya, and I'm on android.
Cool, Thank you! Sounds like I can cast just as easy using the Oculus app on iPhone and mirroring my phone to my AppleTV and won't benefit from getting a chromcast.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Had my 128GB Pre-Ordered since Day One! Decided to order the Carrying Case and an Anker 10,000mAh Power Bank in case I need longer play times. I've been waiting for this for so long! I have a Rift and loved using it, but like a lot of others have said, setup is always a pain/hassle. The Pickup & Play and Wireless experience with the Quest will be an absolute game changer. Superhot, Beat Saber, Robo Recall, and Rec Room will keep me busy for a while. I highly recommend Superhot and Robo Recall to anyone that hasn't played them. My favorite gaming experiences in VR, easily. Rec Room is my favorite social experience if you're looking to have fun with other peeps.Tuesday can't come soon enough!! :D

Oct 28, 2017
I got a chance to try the Beat Saber Demo on the Quest again and boy howdy is it a bit of a visual downgrade. Totally worth it for the ability to play anywhere any time, and the tracking is spot on. I played expert mode at PAX East and it had no problem keeping up.

Display wise it's like Yamcha (PS4) to Piccolo after he fused with Nail (Quest).
So,
Display is clearly superior but the innards are slightly better but more convenient?

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
So I pre-ordered today on Amazon and what are the chances I still get it by tuesday? Slim to none?

You should get it by Tuesday. I ordered mines 3 days ago from Amazon USA and got notified I will get it Tuesday.
If they were sold out, the website would have mentioned back ordered.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the innards are the weak link, but clever developers will be able to make it really shine. The ease of use, the crisp display, and the complete untethered nature of it is such a godsend that the trade-off is totally worth it.
I'm in the market for a 65in 4k in the living room however, this might make a reasonable substitution ( already a 55in there)

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So,
Display is clearly superior but the innards are slightly better but more convenient?
Not quite, the analogy was wrong. The innards are far less powerful than PSVR, in terms of memory, CPU power, GPU power, game size/storage. For raw system power, PSVR is Vegeta, Oculus Quest is Piccolo, Oculus Go is Krillin. PS4 Beat Saber for example has more graphical effects than on Quest. Quest display is quite a large resolution jump, with good IPD adjustment, but PSVR can do higher refresh rate (not supported in all games). Tracking on Quest blows PSVR out of the water, you no longer have to stay in front of that little camera view and if you turn around your controllers aren't blocked. Controllers too, they have real buttons, analogue sticks, a grip button, and know if your fingers are resting on buttons or not. And don't drift, ever. It's much closer to having hands in VR *and* having a real split gamepad.

Oct 28, 2017
Not quite, the analogy was wrong. The innards are far less powerful than PSVR, in terms of memory, CPU power, GPU power, game size/storage. For raw system power, PSVR is Vegeta, Oculus Quest is Piccolo, Oculus Go is Krillin. PS4 Beat Saber for example has more graphical effects than on Quest. Quest display is quite a large resolution jump, with good IPD adjustment, but PSVR can do higher refresh rate (not supported in all games). Tracking on Quest blows PSVR out of the water, you no longer have to stay in front of that little camera view and if you turn around your controllers aren't blocked. Controllers too, they have real buttons, analogue sticks, a grip button, and know if your fingers are resting on buttons or not. And don't drift, ever. It's much closer to having hands in VR *and* having a real split gamepad.

My dude, thank you! I guess movies and sports (NBA VR) won't look as grainy as it does on the PSVR? I want to look at space and underwater things in VR so I assume that Quest would be the better option since it has a sexier screen.

Feb 15, 2018
Really interested in this, but as the 64gb is sold out everywhere it is helping me not to be a day 1 adopter and see how well it is received when it's in the public's hands.

I have PSVR, and due to my relationship with it (I love it for 2 weeks, put it away for 3 months, repeat), it means there are a load of well received games I have not played yet, and many of them priced at 50% or less of their launch price. This and the fact a couple of great PSVR exclusives are launching over the next fortnight have me waiting na while before picking up a Quest. But its portability and advanced tracking solutions do look like a game changer. Hope it sells great and keeps the VR market healthy, as I really believe it offers something that conventional gaming does not (and no, not nausea before anyone says it).

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You had me at tracking is spot on.

There's an optical compromise for lots of us (69mm IPD for me) for PSVR and some of the other headsets yet most people *are* in the actual sweet spot.

IPD *alone* means that YMMV and that nobody can make an informed decision based on just anecdote. There's never been a platform where personal experience matters as much as with VR. One of the reasons I bought from Best Buy is I can *easily* return this with no penalty!

Also a lot of people are measuring VR based on graphical quality; yet most people who do a lot of VR (tons of reviewers have *all*, yes *all* the headsets and multiple gaming PCs capable of driving them and are insistent that immersion is not largely based on graphical quality, yet people will continue to focus on graphical quality.

Give me that full untethered experience with amazing tracking and modern control, ooh er yes missus, that's what I want!

Last edited: