• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Seems nice but also seems like one of those games that need space ? Would be great if VR games told you that. I tried Super Hot and my place is small, my bedroom is filled with stuff and i can't go grab something 1m away from me lol. I'll just hit my desk.

I felt stupid also when i was sitting on my bed and i couldn't reach the Light off button in Big Screen cause it was.. Below the level of my bed :p

You don't need roomscale, but you definitely need more than an arms' length as you will be doing a lot of reaching, stabbing, and hacking. :P

Dec 23, 2017
Do we have any more information regarding the Oculus Quest 2 jailbreak?

Besides not requiring a Facebook login, what else would it be useful for?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
so what are some games that you can play just standing/sitting that dont require a ton of moving around.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so what are some games that you can play just standing/sitting that dont require a ton of moving around.

From what I've played so far:

Trover Saves the Universe
Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin (PCVR)
Star Wars Squadrons (PCVR)
Thumper
Until You Fall (has a seated mode that tweaks the game)
Accounting+
The Invisible Hours (PCVR)
Republique VR
House of the Dying Sun (PCVR)
I Expect You to Die (you will want a little room though, but you can also just use telekensis for most things so you don't have to physically reach for things).
The Room VR
Moss

Most of these games have you either only teleporting (not free movement), sitting (like in cockpits), or have dedicated Seated modes, etc.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, my interest towards the Quest 2 just recently got higher as I'm looking to sell my PSVR headset.

I saw some articles dated from September saying that the Quest 2, when using Link, basically runs at 72hz at Quest 1's native res but that there are Quest 2 optimization (90hz + better res) coming in the pipe. Did that happen yet? That's pretty much the only thing holding me from buying one.

Also would my 1070Ti be enough to run most VR games at full Quest 2 potential?

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, my interest towards the Quest 2 just recently got higher as I'm looking to sell my PSVR headset.

I saw some articles dated from September saying that the Quest 2, when using Link, basically runs at 72hz at Quest 1's native res but that there are Quest 2 optimization (90hz + better res) coming in the pipe. Did that happen yet? That's pretty much the only thing holding me from buying one.

It hasn't happened yet but you might as well get it now as later. The 90hz upgrade is coming, and even without the PC VR setup works just fine. Plus there's a mod out that enables 90hz on some games as well.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think your card is enough to max out the most demanding games, like Half-Life Alyx, but you'll be able to play at decent settings.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got Virtual Desktop up and running and played Alyx on max settings with no wires and it was absolutely mind-blowing. This is the future.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This is PCVR only but Boneworks is one of the best VR games for both standing and seated gameplay, the devs really did a great job implementing a seated option in settings where you can enter your actual height to compensate. Plus it uses a force grab mechanic for snapping objects to you so you don't have to fiddle with height adjustments constantly when trying to reach something. The game itself is a bit janky but one of my personal favs. If you do have the space this is one of the most immersive games to play standing, the range of actions you can do physically is on another level from most other VR games.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, I would say most things do. So long as the game has actual artificial locomotion, which most games do.

Just buy a little bathmat or exercise mat and stand on that. This way you can still freely turn 360 degrees, but you won't wander anywhere because your feet will let you know if you've left your safe zone.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
How did you get it Running without stutters? Alex seems to be the only game that I'm having trouble getting working wirelessly without stutters.
I have the virtual desktop streaming quality set to high, and I have a nearly 1 gig connection that is directly wired to the router.
Also, I'm using a 3080, so that may help. Finally, I use teleport movement, so perhaps it would stutter if I were using smooth locomotion?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
How did you get it Running without stutters? Alex seems to be the only game that I'm having trouble getting working wirelessly without stutters.

I'm really curious what exactly the culprit is for Alyx's stuttering. I originally played it at launch using Link for my first playthrough with decent performance and occasional stuttering and then switched to VD and the performance was flawless, this was around the first week or two after Alyx's launch. Then when I returned to it months later it was a stuttery mess. I hadn't made any hardware changes so it has to be either an update to VD, Alyx, or Steam VR that's doing it. I've tried multiple suggestions from here and on reddit between VD settings, Nvidia control panel adjustments, etc but the stuttering remains, and for some reason Link is now giving godawful stuttering with Alyx as well.

I know ggodin (VD dev) said Alyx had some issues in VD that needed to be worked out but that was back in the first few months around launch, and I'm not sure if they ever figured the problem out. If its a Valve issue that's pretty frustrating considering their track record of fine tuning games to have excellent performance. And that's the weird thing, it did have great perf...at launch. It's typically rare to see a game's perf gets worse post launch especially from them :/

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really curious what exactly the culprit is for Alyx's stuttering. I originally played it at launch using Link for my first playthrough with decent performance and occasional stuttering and then switched to VD and the performance was flawless, this was around the first week or two after Alyx's launch. Then when I returned to it months later it was a stuttery mess. I hadn't made any hardware changes so it has to be either an update to VD, Alyx, or Steam VR that's doing it. I've tried multiple suggestions from here and on reddit between VD settings, Nvidia control panel adjustments, etc but the stuttering remains, and for some reason Link is now giving godawful stuttering with Alyx as well.

I know ggodin (VD dev) said Alyx had some issues in VD that needed to be worked out but that was back in the first few months around launch, and I'm not sure if they ever figured the problem out. If its a Valve issue that's pretty frustrating considering their track record of fine tuning games to have excellent performance. And that's the weird thing, it did have great perf...at launch. It's typically rare to see a game's perf gets worse post launch especially from them :/

You can narrow it down to either pc rendering or network issue by looking at the steam stats. It's a scrolling bar graph that shows the pc's generated FR in the steamVR panel. That should get you to the right track.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Im starting to really regret my purchase. It seems to be a beat saber machine and thats all.

Link performance just plain sucks. its fucking stupid. no matter what i do I can not get link working correctly. It always is a stuttering mess.

Virtual desktop is no better really. stutters in alex, stutters in asguards wrath.

Im really thinking about returning it but I think im outside of my window and ive already spent a lot on the store. Native apps work fine but as a pcvr headset it fucking sucks.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
This sounds like a network or GPU related problem unrelated to the Quest 2. Alyx runs buttery smooth for me in Virtual Desktop thanks to the XR2 processor, I can't replicate these results on the Quest 1 with it's bottlenecked Snapdragon 835. What GPU are you running and how is your LAN setup?

Virtual desktop is no better really. stutters in alex, stutters in asguards wrath.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a network or GPU related problem unrelated to the Quest 2. Alyx runs buttery smooth for me in Virtual Desktop thanks to the XR2 processor, I can't replicate these results on the Quest 1 with it's bottlenecked Snapdragon 835. What GPU are you running and how is your LAN setup?

2080 super.

running using a powerline ethernet adapter connected to my router in the livingroom.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
Im starting to really regret my purchase. It seems to be a beat saber machine and thats all.

Link performance just plain sucks. its fucking stupid. no matter what i do I can not get link working correctly. It always is a stuttering mess.

Im really thinking about returning it but I think im outside of my window and ive already spent a lot on the store. Native apps work fine but as a pcvr headset it fucking sucks.

Make sure you don't have vsync enabled or a max framerate set globally in Nvidia Control Panel. I had a similar issue because I used those settings for Gsync. I actually wound up keeping them enabled globally but then for each VR game created profiles with those two settings disabled.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you don't have vsync enabled or a max framerate set globally in Nvidia Control Panel. I had a similar issue because I used those settings for Gsync. I actually wound up keeping them enabled globally but then for each VR game created profiles with those two settings disabled.

oh so that can affect it? the stutters i get seem to be more of a bandwidth thing. like the sound will stutter too. yet i get 2.5gbs when i test it

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so i tried tetris effect and it played flawlessly. So im really not sure what the issue is with alex and wrath.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wrath is pretty demanding in general and others with high end setups reported poor performance at launch, especially in that damn tavern. It ran a lot better for me through VD at launch but haven't tried it recently or with Quest 2 so not sure if its improved.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so i tried tetris effect and it played flawlessly. So im really not sure what the issue is with alex and wrath.

Asgard's Wrath for me is pretty much impossible on VD too. It works much better on Link for me though.

I have to use Link for it and Stormlands (which AFAIK doesn't work at all on VD).

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Any way of stopping VD picking its own resolution during game launch? I have a custom resolution set for 1080p 90fps, but it changes it to 1080p 60fps when a game launches.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

This is what I've gone back to of late. I played about 3 or 4 hours on Quest 1 and then quit. I've been playing a lot of this lately on Quest 2. I think I've had 2 or 3 stutters max the whole time. I did, however, have to turn down some settings a bit (medium from max) from the Quest 1. But that's just because Steam set everything to max on Q1 and the higher settings on Q2 was creating some framerate issues for my 1070:(

It's so weird there's such inconsistency with this game. I would say maybe it's CPU, but I think most have at least 6 or more cores at this point. There is a lot of crap running when you do VR. I also wonder if it could be a RAM issue? I know when I was buying RAM, the .1/1% Ryzen lows could really fluctuate with RAM quality. So I bought 3200 Cas 14 RAM and cranked the timings as low as I could stably go. I wonder if this could have any positive impact and be helping to avoid any nasty spikes.

All of the above, of course, assumes your home network is giving you 0 packet losses. Cause you'll stutter anytime you drop a packet.

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but was looking to get the Quest 2 but wanted the Elite Strap or the Elite Strap with Battery. Sadly looks like they are sold out, do we know when they will get more in stock? Should I just go with one of the third party vendor on amazon instead? Really want to get one but I don't want to without any kind of Elite Strap.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but was looking to get the Quest 2 but wanted the Elite Strap or the Elite Strap with Battery. Sadly looks like they are sold out, do we know when they will get more in stock? Should I just go with one of the third party vendor on amazon instead? Really want to get one but I don't want to without any kind of Elite Strap.

I think they've suspended sales until they can figure out what's going on with all the broken straps. Availability will probably depend on whether it was just some bad manufacturing batches or whether it's just a bad design that needs to be redone.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I think they've suspended sales until they can figure out what's going on with all the broken straps. Availability will probably depend on whether it was just some bad manufacturing batches or whether it's just a bad design that needs to be redone.
Broken straps? Are you talking about the stock strap or the elite strap? I just bought a quest 2 and the elite strap as a gift so it would suck if the elite strap has quality issues.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this. But I liked my quest 1 more. I hate this new ipd

Apparently not every unit has the same lenses. There have been several threads on the subreddit that one set of lenses is vastly inferior having a smaller sweet spot, blurrier and worse godrays. I think this is probably the case and is why some are so puzzled that others can't find a good ipd position when they have no problem doing so.

Here is one of the threads that talks about it and shows the difference between the good lenses and the bad ones.
old.reddit.com

What bad lenses look like.

Posted in r/OculusQuest by u/[deleted] • 299 points and 272 comments

I returned mine after just a few days of having it and I'm not gonna hunt down one that has the good lenses. This product imo has quality control issues and I'm not gonna play the lottery to get everything ideal. I'm fine with the first Quest.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Broken straps? Are you talking about the stock strap or the elite strap? I just bought a quest 2 and the elite strap as a gift so it would suck if the elite strap has quality issues.

Elite straps.

I ordered one last week from Best Buy, so they're still selling them.

I thought I saw on Reddit that they had an official statement that they've paused sales on their official website while they investigate quality issues.

I wonder if they're still shipping stock to retailers, or if this was stuff that was already in the supply chain.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure that you are using D3D11 and not Vulkan, and that you quit background applications like web browsers before loading the game.
If it gives you a memory warning at launch, do not ignore it. I've found that keeping browsers and other applications open can easily be eating up 3GB or more VRAM, which is problematic for a game like Half-Life: Alyx that needs a lot of it.

Vulkan would always start running fine, but some point after 15–30 minutes of gameplay I'd start getting really bad stutters in VR.
They seemed to often coincide with bringing up the weapon selection menu, and the whole world would freeze in place for a moment. It was extremely disorienting/nauseating.
  • Make sure you set the headset to use 90Hz via SideQuest.
  • In virtual desktop do not use sliced encoding (client-side/headset option)
  • You might find that it's best to disable automatic bit-rate adjustment (server-side/computer option) and set it lower than you think (client-side). I don't think you can push high bit-rates reliably unless you're using a dedicated wifi access point in the same room, on its own network/channel exclusively for the headset. Though I don't have a dedicated access point, I also moved every other device off 5 GHz by using a different network name on 2.4GHz and connecting them to that, to clear the channel.
  • Though I've seen recommendations to force virtual desktop to H264 encoding for HL:A, I found that this made no difference to smoothness (maybe latency though?) but that using HEVC made a big difference to quality at the same bit-rates.
  • Enabling high-latency mode (client-side) was a must for smoothness. The latency reported did not change much, and stutters make me far more motion sick than the slight difference in latency.
  • Dropping quality from high to medium (client-side) eliminated the last few stutters that I was encountering, and rendering at a higher resolution in Steam VR options made up the difference.
oh so that can affect it? the stutters i get seem to be more of a bandwidth thing. like the sound will stutter too. yet i get 2.5gbs when i test it
What are you testing that reports 2.5gbps? I thought the Quest 2 only supported up to 1200 mbps - and most commonly, 866 mbps.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
That could be your problem right there. The Virtual Desktop dev recommends people stay away from powerline Ethernet adapters as they tend to have terrible performance with VR streaming. It's recommended to have you PC directly wired to your router or access point over CAT6.

2080 super.

running using a powerline ethernet adapter connected to my router in the livingroom.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
That could be your problem right there. The Virtual Desktop dev recommends people stay away from powerline Ethernet adapters as they tend to have terrible performance with VR streaming. It's recommended to have you PC directly wired to your router or access point over CAT6.
I also have a powerline. What can I do to change that? My pc have to be in a room without an ether net cable

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
The easiest solution is to just split you network and buy a dedicate router or access point that you plug directly into your PC for Virtual Desktop. Note that Virtual Desktop doesn't need Internet, it only needs a fast LAN. I have my computer connected to my router (on other side of the house) over Wi-Fi. And for Virtual Desktop, I bought a RE650 and keep it plugged into my network card: https://www.amazon.com/Extender-260...4&sr=1-1-5e875a02-02b1-4426-9916-8a5c26cd5a14

I also have a powerline. What can I do to change that? My pc have to be in a room without an ether net cable

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The easiest solution is to just split you network and buy a dedicate router or access point that you plug directly into your PC for Virtual Desktop. Note that Virtual Desktop doesn't need Internet, it only needs a fast LAN. I have my computer connected to my router (on other side of the house) over Wi-Fi. And for Virtual Desktop, I bought a RE650 and keep it plugged into my network card: https://www.amazon.com/Extender-260...4&sr=1-1-5e875a02-02b1-4426-9916-8a5c26cd5a14

This is exactly what I already had set up since I use 2 routers with CAT5e between them to cover my house. Works great!

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry i canti undestand much. So what router or access point (router or access point?) Features i want for the item ill buy? Also what cable.i need for It? One LAN in PC and One Energy to Wall and thats It? Is It complicated to connect to my main router?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Man that bundle is great but I really don't wanna buy a bunch of Steam games that are crossbuy for PC & Quest on the Oculus store

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Man that bundle is great but I really don't wanna buy a bunch of Steam games that are crossbuy for PC & Quest on the Oculus store

Really depends on whether you want to play natively or through PC and VD. If you're going to play through VD, the cost of the entire bundle is less than most of those games on the Oculus store anyways. Plus you're not tied to whatever Facebook has planned in the future.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a new VR horror game, looks promising. PCVR only for now but figured I'd share here since a lot are using Link and VD:

Seems to be episodic releases, first one comes out on the 27th of this month.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Humble has one hell of a PC VR bundle right now. $17 for the top tier. It includes Saints and Sinners.
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Fall VR Bundle

Grab your headset and hand sensors! Pay what you want for awesome VR games worth over $200 and support Movember, or a charity of your choice!