• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Does it matter if I buy the Oculus version or the Steam version of a game if I want to use Link?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So got an email this morning from Oculus "apologizing" that I didn't get my headset at launch so they gave me $30 code. Should be here some time today, so hopefully I don't have any issues linking with my "new" Facebook account (had deleted it years ago). But looks like I'll pick up a game or two for "free" now! Pretty nice.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone want a free copy of 2MD: VR Football Unleashed (Quest native and crossbuy?)

I'll post some free codes if y'all promise to post how it performs on Quest 2 :)

I'm stuck at the hospital this week and I've still not even had the opportunity to open the dev kit.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Does it matter if I buy the Oculus version or the Steam version of a game if I want to use Link?
Two direct advantages to getting the Oculus version: first off, if an Oculus version has cross-buy, you get the Quest version for free. Second, the Oculus version could make use of special features of the SDK, such as Fixed Foveated Rendering or render layers (which allow for full screen resolution for text or whatever needs it, while the rest of the game is rendered normally).

The advantage to the Steam version is if you get a non-Oculus headset later you don't have to run the app through an Oculus emulation layer.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Two direct advantages to getting the Oculus version: first off, if an Oculus version has cross-buy, you get the Quest version for free. Second, the Oculus version could make use of special features of the SDK, such as Fixed Foveated Rendering or render layers (which allow for full screen resolution for text or whatever needs it, while the rest of the game is rendered normally).

The advantage to the Steam version is if you get a non-Oculus headset later you don't have to run the app through an Oculus emulation layer.

I go back and forth on the best approach here. I've been leaning towards the steam versions, particularly because quite a few games have native Oculus runtime support even while launching from steam.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried Vader Immortal. The grey wash over everything really ruins the atmosphere. Hopefully its something I can learn to live with.
Agreed. I played through the beginning of Episode II last night and black levels really make the entire reveal less dramatic. Also, the light sabers don't "pop" as much with the lower contrast.

It's almost like the difference between SDR and HDR.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Love all these social apps I can explore now! With Psvr it was just Rec Room and I had to be stationary.

Now I can walk around an entire room and explore VRChat (so far it's been hilarious), my husband and I went to a concert and danced, and I haven't explored some of the other social apps we downloaded yet.

This is fucking cool.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to buy the elite strap and hope I can find the battery one before the return period ends.

Jan 31, 2019
Make sure your PC and Quest are on the same network. Also make sure your Oculus username is typed in exactly correct in the desktop app.
Virtual Desktop works best if your PC is hardwired to your router and the Quest is using a 5Ghz wifi on your router. It's possible you have a firewall setting on your PC that's blocking VD but I can't help you with that.
Thanks! Was the username 🦧🤷‍♂️😆

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Great, i thought i had 5 ghz wifi but apparently i don't... i activated it, didn't work, i deactivated the 2.4Ghz one just to be sure (cause it detects this one fine), and now it doesn't detect any wifi at all!

Hopefully my ISP can resolve the issue, i'll call them tomorrow morning.... I would be angry if i have to buy something else to be able to play anywhere without any cables

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to buy the elite strap and hope I can find the battery one before the return period ends.

I've had both, and honestly, i prefer the elite strap. The battery as a counterweight helped some, but i preferred the overall lighter feel of the Quest 2 + Elite strap.

Unless you actually need the extended play time.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone signed up for Horizon and been accepted into the beta? If so how long did it take to get accepted?

mupepe

Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Anyone want a free copy of 2MD: VR Football Unleashed (Quest native and crossbuy?)

I'll post some free codes if y'all promise to post how it performs on Quest 2 :)

I'm stuck at the hospital this week and I've still not even had the opportunity to open the dev kit.
That would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Great, i thought i had 5 ghz wifi but apparently i don't... i activated it, didn't work, i deactivated the 2.4Ghz one just to be sure (cause it detects this one fine), and now it doesn't detect any wifi at all!

Hopefully my ISP can resolve the issue, i'll call them tomorrow morning.... I would be angry if i have to buy something else to be able to play anywhere without any cables

Do you have a laptop or PC that you can connect to your router with an ethernet cable so you can get into the router interface?

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Got the elite strap with the battery and no regrets at all. The standard strap is garbage.

Late to the party as hell but Superhot is amazing. All I had before this is PSVR and it's so freeing to be able to move around.

Oct 27, 2017
After playing TWD the black levels aren't as good as Quest 1 but I'm really impressed by how clear everything is and lack of SDE that it doesn't actually bother me. I think it was worth it over Quest 1.

I had been playing Dash Dash World and it's so much better on Quest 2. Hopefully the elite strap with battery eventually shows up. Oh and the The Room VR on Quest 2 is amazing.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Got the elite strap with the battery and no regrets at all. The standard strap is garbage.

Late to the party as hell but Superhot is amazing. All I had before this is PSVR and it's so freeing to be able to move around.
Interesting, I enjoyed Superhot somewhat on PSVR but not as much as many around here. The roomscale freedom is certainly a game changer overall (and the controller upgrade from Moves 🤣)I downloaded the demo for Superhot on Quest so I can check out the difference.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020

For sure Ill try it
New VR user here, so far this whole thing is blowing my mind :o

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I think i just found a workaround. You can have a developer account attached to your main account. They basically work in tandem. about to try it now.

edit: CRISIS ADVERTED!
Do you just have to make another account on the quest to do that? I'm going to be in the same boat tonight when I pick up virtual desktop having already linked an existing facebook and new oculus account. Is the sideloaded desktop VR the only app installed on that account and it still shows up on your main one?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I enjoyed Superhot somewhat on PSVR but not as much as many around here. The roomscale freedom is certainly a game changer overall (and the controller upgrade from Moves 🤣)I downloaded the demo for Superhot on Quest so I can check out the difference.
Super hot on PSVR is a good experience.
super hot on the quest is a mind blowing experience.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you, so far the freedom with this headset is mind blowing on its own
yup. The single camera on psvr is quite limiting on super hot. and when it loses tracking because you look around it hurts the immersion.

On the quest you can literally go down on your stomach and crawl around behind cover to avoid being shot, and because there is no wires you can lose track of everything and get completely immersed.

I highly recommend you give yourself at least 2 feet of room on the guardian from anything you might punch if you can, because everyone eventually punches through the guardian while playing super hot.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
One thing I'm realizing is Oculus shipped a BUTTLOAD of these. They havent sold out, one guy talking about 300 in his store, etc.

FB aint playin about world domination i guess.
As long as FB gets the account locking under control, these will be a giant hit this holiday. The PS5/XSX are both expensive and hard to find, so the Switch and Quest 2 will get lots of attention.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
games over VD are quite blurry in comparison to their native apps (Then again, my rig is on the low side with a 1060 so that plus streaming compression may harm the experience).

The quiver->arrow->bow cycle in blade and sorcery:

swedish_chef.jpg

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
games over VD are quite blurry in comparison to their native apps (Then again, my rig is on the low side with a 1060 so that plus streaming compression may harm the experience).

swedish_chef.jpg

I tried playing the lab through VD and my experience was also that the lack of input lag was very impressive, but it looked very blurry. I am on a 970 so that is even lower, so I think it is just the game outputting in a lower resolution to make sure the framerate is fine?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you just have to make another account on the quest to do that? I'm going to be in the same boat tonight when I pick up virtual desktop having already linked an existing facebook and new oculus account. Is the sideloaded desktop VR the only app installed on that account and it still shows up on your main one?

No. you can do it on the same account.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Anyone finding that text and menu navigation in general is more blurry? I can't tell if it's the foveated rendering, but something just seems "off" and I can't put my finger on it. It's not the IPD or strap adjustments I don't think cause I have experience setting that up. I have a Quest 1 and it's seems sharper? I'm trying to dig deeper to see what the issue could be for me. Maybe it's just how the LCD panels are compared to the OLED?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone finding that text and menu navigation in general is more blurry? I can't tell if it's the foveated rendering, but something just seems "off" and I can't put my finger on it. It's not the IPD or strap adjustments I don't think cause I have experience setting that up. I have a Quest 1 and it's seems sharper? I'm trying to dig deeper to see what the issue could be for me. Maybe it's just how the LCD panels are compared to the OLED?
text looks WAY more clean/clear for more than the quest 1 in general.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Knock on wood, it seems like I've finally got an approved Facebook account. My enthusiasm went into the dumpster the last couple days, but I hope it's still active tomorrow and I can finally see what this thing is capable of.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

swedish_chef.jpg
I tried playing the lab through VD and my experience was also that the lack of input lag was very impressive, but it looked very blurry. I am on a 970 so that is even lower, so I think it is just the game outputting in a lower resolution to make sure the framerate is fine?
VD's video quality is fantastic for me at 150Mbps with a 3080

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the normal strap is pretty meh its too heavy on my forehead, and my Elite Strap won't get here till the 3rd of November...guess ill have to suck it up till then.