• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
In a way, you did. If Linux support isn't so hard, why developers don't develop Linux versions of their games? Or at least, games that run in Ubuntu?

Because Linux games are like 4% of the market or some such if I remember that Engadget article right

Money talks, and Valve's the main one pushing Linux gaming since it behooves them to do so, as they don't like being tied to other OSes, in particular Windows.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Because Linux games are like 4% of the market or some such if I remember that Engadget article right

Money talks, and Valve's the main one pushing Linux gaming since it behooves them to do so, as they don't like being tied to other OSes, in particular Windows.
Completely forgot that fact. And yeah, money talks. No point in developing a product that will have low sales.
That's why I'm glad Proton exists. Developers don't need to develop the Linux version, yet thanks to Proton, Linux users may be able to play those games.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As I've said before and I'll say again, we all know it's money. Epic has no doubt in their contracts that you have to do 12 months exclusivity in order to gain access to their blank cheque book, otherwise we'd be seeing these games coming across to Steam either on release or very shortly after. I mean realistically yes the upfront money is nice to a dev or publisher, short term. Long term though? Nah.

12 months is a long time for gaming, especially PC gaming where anything can tip your game off the radar. This is what I'm most interested in, is if the money from Epic is truly enough to sustain less purchases and a far likely drop off the radar due to one marketplace saturation that while curated is getting bloated through Epic's lacking interface design. I don't doubt people have done the calculations and weighed the risks with the answer being either yes it will be fine or let's hope it's okay in the future.

My question is whether those that are exclusive are making the right choice? Time will tell. I can't foresee concentrating on a platform so new and lacking to be as profitable as market saturation, but maybe the blank cheque book is best?

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
An upfront payment and higher revenue cut? Can't blame them for wanting to get the best deal.

Valve needs to step up their game and start acquiring their own exclusives.

You've got to be joking. Think for a minute, what does a future PC gaming landscape look like if the only defining winning attribute is the depth of your pockets?

Starting an exclusivity war on a platform so open by nature is incredibly greedy, destructive and completely disrespects its users. This isn't about Valve refusing to "step up" this is about them being mindful to not join Epic in gleefully poisoning the well.

I can't wait for Epic to just fuck off with the damage they are doing to the platform and their interference in the relation of trust between players and developers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see people still are comparing this to console exclusives when those are funded / usually first party-games.

Disingenuous at best.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
What I realistically expected from Devolver: "We are certain the game will bomb, so we took the money."

What I expected from the edgy persona that Devolver was nurturing: "If Epic wants to throw money around, why not take it, sucks to be them!"

What we got: "Fuck our old Audience, we want a NEW Audience!"

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
from the steam thread:

"Nina Struthers" is their E3 host lady.
DcjXZ4p.png

man what a response

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
That's a "How to make a bad situation worse 101" case.... phew.

So, aside from Ubisoft has any publisher that took these deals didn't say anything offensive/bs?
I think Coffee Stain Studios (Satisfactory) did a good job as well. They basically said that they got offered a lot of money and they took the opportunity. No bullshit like "we think in the end it's better for the player" etc.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I can't help but think that the people that are okay with Epic exclusivity deals are going to be less happy if Google and Amazon decide to get involved in this 'competition'.

Exclusivity deals probably look like good deals to publishers up front because it lets them recoup losses from development and avoid the risk of a loss if the game doesn't sell well. Long term I think it's a mistake because of the lost visibility, potential word of mouth and reducing the chances of a run away seller. Making a name for yourself and building credit seems worth it.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Coffee Stain Studios (Satisfactory) did a good job as well. They basically said that they got offered a lot of money and they took the opportunity. No bullshit like "we think in the end it's better for the player" etc.
Coffee Stain Studios.
"Yeah, we received cash money"
You're both right, I forgot about them. I think it was also them that confirmed the 12 month for the exclusive period first. You would think that would be obvious to take that route instead of... whatever Devolver is doing now.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's more like a theater that's less covenient to get to, doesn't have my favourite snacks, and there's a weird smell.

It's the same theater.

I posted this in a comment on Engadget. But I feel like it's if Walmart got the exclusive to sell Cottonelle toilet paper and I couldn't get it from the Kroger on my way home anymore. It's not convenient to drive across town to Walmart, not to mention the lines and parking, so I'd just make do with a different brand.

It's in the same building.

It's like people go out of their way to ignore the existence of the Windows Start Menu or you know.. desktop shortcuts.

You can literally add any non-steam game to Steam if you insist on launching from there.

Epic is probably telling them that people complaining about this are only a very small vocal minority.

Judging by the reported Metro: Exodus sales, they're absolutely right. Hence my Captain Marvel comparison.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same theater.

You can literally add any non-steam game to Steam if you insist on launching from there.

Judging by the reported Metro: Exodus sales, they're absolutely right. Hence my Captain Marvel comparison.
It's not the same theater at all, just the same movie.

I also find hilarious that 2.5x the initial sales of a 2013 game is supposed to be good lmao. Shit I'm sure Steam did that on preorders alone. There's a reason they don't give any actual numbers.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me why this is bad? Not trolling or anything. It's just literally downloading another application on your PC. i use both steam and epic launcher.

If it's more % to publisher/dev, then whys it bad? Valve needs to lower their split now to compete.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone tell me why this is bad? Not trolling or anything. It's just literally downloading another application on your PC. i use both steam and epic launcher.

If it's more % to publisher/dev, then whys it bad? Valve needs to lower their split now to compete.
Are you guys just copying and pasting this stuff now?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

It's hard to understand when you don't read.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure you asked the same question in another Epic thread and people answered you.

Edit: sorry, it was someone else with same avatar.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

Valve can't lower their cut because Epic can't sustain their cut as it is, and are adding transaction fees to game prices outside of the US - basically, Epic are undercutting Valve, losing money to make Valve lose money. Valve already provides a lower cut if free-to-generate Steam keys are taken into account. Valve provides massively superior store service, especially in europe/asia. Epic Games Store is not and will never be available in certain countries, like China, due to transaction fees.

The Epic store client/launcher is also collecting data from everywhere in your system, including Steam, without the user's consent.

Epic is also being anticompetitive and depriving end users of choice, establishing a true monopoly on select titles by taking them away from other stores, essentially console war practices on PC where it is unheard of.

It's hard to understand when you don't read.
You're missing the point, methinks. It's better to respond, even if to trolls, because if people stop asking or we stop answering, the topic will be more likely to drop off the front page(s) and die. Keep it going, keep it civil, keep it live.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

With "reported sales", you mean Epic's PR spin that doesn't actually tell us anything?

Let's be honest here: if Metro Exodus sold really well on Epic's store, we would have gotten much better information than "it sold 2.5 times better than another game sold on Steam 6 years ago during the launch period".

This is Greenberg level nonsense, especially since the game could be pre-ordered on Steam for almost a year.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Don't ask the question, and then try to answer it yourself right after that, in such an arrogant way.

If you had paid any attention to thread, then you would have known why many thinks that it's not "just another launcher".

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you bothered to read instead of dumb shitposting, you'd know that if Valve lowered their cut to 0% it wouldn't change anything here, because it has nothing to do with the cut whatsoever.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
It's pretty dumb that people are still trying to play the "PC gamers are using the store anyways" card. They were saying the same stuff in threads about the Bethesda launcher. Yet here we are, with Bethesda coming back to Steam because nobody was buying on their crappy store.

If the store front offers nothing for consumers and actively seeks to piss off their potential customers, it's never gonna attract a significant audience. Timed exclusivity on 3rd party games isn't really a big draw for a lot of PC players. Especially, when we know it's only for a year. FOMO isn't a big deal when your backlog is already hundreds deep, with more games coming every day.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a template on Meme Generator that writes those posts for you.

I'm pretty sure you asked the same question in another Epic thread and people answered you.

Edit: sorry, it was someone else with same avatar.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand those reasons.

If you bothered to read instead of dumb shitposting, you'd know that if Valve lowered their cut to 0% it wouldn't change anything here, because it has nothing to do with the cut whatsoever.
Besides, Valve already lowered it to 0% for keys sold outside Steam. It didn't stop Epic from moneyhatting devs.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's the same theater.

It's the same movie, for the same price, in two different theaters in the same building. Walk down the hallway and turn either left or right.

One has comfy seating, air conditioning, an enormous screen, excellent sound systems, plenty of leg space, and a concessions stand that keeps running two-for-one deals on everything.
The other is a bare concrete room packed with plastic chairs and a single large TV in the corner, show your ticket and sit down. It's clean, and is slightly cheaper if you're the same ethnicity as the owner, and that's all you get.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also find hilarious that 2.5x the initial sales of a 2013 game is supposed to be good lmao. Shit I'm sure Steam did that on preorders alone. There's a reason they don't give any actual numbers.

It outpaces the sales growth of the game on console, based on available figures. There is no evidence that being on EGS hurt sales of the game to any degree.

Yeah but ticket prices are higher, there's no amenities, and the manager's an asshole.

Except when they're not, the amenities are 80% identical, and the asshole is actually the customer.

One has comfy seating, air conditioning, an enormous screen, excellent sound systems, plenty of leg space, and a concessions stand that keeps running two-for-one deals on everything.
The other is a bare concrete room packed with plastic chairs and a single large TV in the corner, show your ticket and sit down. It's clean, and is slightly cheaper if you're the same ethnicity as the owner, and that's all you get.

Remember what I said about exaggerating the scale of difference? If you honestly believes this is the difference in the experience, you sound deranged.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Except when they're not, the amenities are 80% identical, and the asshole is actually the customer.
Nope, the asshole is the owner by spewing bullshit left and right, and forcing the customer to do what he wants and not letting do what they want. Because, you know, fuck choice.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
from the steam thread:

man what a response
Hot damn. My favorite thing about Devolver has always been that they seemingly give no fucks. This lands in that category.

I hadn't heard about Observation until this thread and it looks interesting! I wasn't into Untold Stories though so I'll likely wait this one out for a Humble Bundle or some such.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Remember what I said about exaggerating the scale of difference? If you honestly believes this is the difference in the experience, you sound deranged.
Okay, sure, let's bump it up. Make it a bare concrete room with plastic chairs and a regular cinema system.
You're not going to see or hear the movie any worse, that's what matters right? What's a little uncomfortable seating. They'll get better seats in about a year.
Though if you have a question about a movie, all the leaflets are in the other theater.
If the movie's running in 3D, the glasses are also in the other theater.
Want to buy food? Concessions stand in the other theater.
Use the restroom? You know where this is going.
Basically you're better off in the other theater at that point, unless you qualify for the owner's discount and are really stingy.
And if you didn't like the viewing, or the service? Fill out these forms in triplicate for (most of) your money back. And the complaints book, that's also in the other theater, because, y'know. Why wouldn't it be.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It outpaces the sales growth of the game on console, based on available figures. There is no evidence that being on EGS hurt sales of the game to any degree.

There's no evidence of anything based on the available figures... Which are cryptic af.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
from the steam thread:

man what a response
Jesus fucking christ what a terrible answer.

Also a fucking terrible answer. Not wanting to give business to companies that pull anticonsumer moves does not fuck the customer and asshole.

Funny how you ignored my post pointing out that your scale of difference was disingenuous. Here it is for you to read again:

Except Linux gamers and people in certain parts of the world literally cannot play the game due to it moving to the egs.

So no, it's not a "10% fewer popcorn toppings" scale of difference. Stop being disingenuous.

But hey, gotta keep being a jerk calling customers assholes and other posters deranged I guess.