• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Pretty fucked up. Worst part of this is that it will only be relevant news to your average person for about another 3-4 hours and then lost in the noise. Just like the homeless shelter stuff. Or when this rule was initially reported on(about a month ago IIRC). Or when they tried to redefine the legal definition of sex. It's like no matter how obvious and blatantly Trump decides to fuck our community, people just can't be bothered to care for more than an afternoon. It's depressing.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Up to page 116 now. I think my eyes have crossed over on themselves a few dozen times now.

The Department also considered adding "gender identity" and "sexual orientation" to a definition of "sex" or "on the basis of sex" under Title IX.

No they absolutely did not.

The Department concluded it is inappropriate to do so at this time, in light of the government position on the meaning of discrimination on the basis of sex under Title VII and cases on which the U.S. Supreme Court has granted petitions for writs of certiorari to resolve similar questions in the context of Title VII. As a policy matter, the Department believes State and local entities are better equipped to address issues of gender dysphoria or sexual orientation and the sometimes competing privacy interests with sensitivity, especially when young children or intimate settings are involved.

The entire document is all over the place. It's obviously geared at removing gender from one of the terms of discrimination - gender identity pops up 91 goddamn times - but there are tangents over the poor companies having to train people, suffer lawsuits from those opposed to a more expansive definition, cost savings including a continued obsession on mailouts, and even a few bits regarding dealing with disabled people or those who do not speak much english.

The Department also considered simply repealing the Section 1557 Regulation in toto and not issuing a replacement regulation. Such an approach would be consistent with the Administration's goals of reducing the regulatory burden on covered entities and is allowed under Section 1557, since that provision does not require the Department to issue implementing regulations. However, the Department is committed to vigorous enforcement of civil rights and nondiscrimination laws as directed by Congress.

We care about discrimination only to the degree that we're obligated to.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I hate anybody who suggests Trump voters don't hate people. Ceding them their definition of "People" only harms us. If you make their arguments for them, you're just making their arguments.

I didn't say I agree with them, I just think that's how they rationalize still saying, "I am a good person that will go to heaven," with, "But I want to do horrible things that, theoretically my Bible says I am breaking commandants on."

The only way they can justify their terrible acts and still think they're going to heaven is by saying it's only horrible when it happens to people, and then finding ways to disqualify anyone they do said horrible acts to as a person, so they can still see themselves in a heroic light. It's the classic dilemma of wanting to be a hero, while wanting to act like a villain, without the moral consequences.

When people ask, "How can anyone that wants to think of themselves as a decent human being do this?" That's how. That's how millions of people who claim to love Christian principles close one eye and turn away when those principles become inconvenient to their dominance of the culture.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
I don't get why the transgender community in particular is such a target for Trump and his hanger-ons. It's like they're settling some personal vendetta.
If their strategy is to court alt right sympathisers with identity politics then I imagine that these pointless and vindictive policies will gain them more votes than they'll lose. The trans community is relatively small after all.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
I didn't say I agree with them, I just think that's how they rationalize still saying, "I am a good person that will go to heaven," with, "But I want to do horrible things that, theoretically my Bible says I am breaking commandants on."

The only way they can justify their terrible acts and still think they're going to heaven is by saying it's only horrible when it happens to people, and then finding ways to disqualify anyone they do said horrible acts to as a person, so they can still see themselves in a heroic light. It's the classic dilemma of wanting to be a hero, while wanting to act like a villain, without the moral consequences.

When people ask, "How can anyone that wants to think of themselves as a decent human being do this?" That's how. That's how millions of people who claim to love Christian principles close one eye and turn away when those principles become inconvenient to their dominance of the culture.

They are Christian terrorists

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Time to lance this pox from humanity

images

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You don't have to try and make them look as if they think they're reasonable. They aren't reasonable. Nobody should give a single SHIT what their excuses are. Fuck their excuses. Anyone without a "Fuck their excuses" attitude isn't doing it right. We don't need to be told that they don't think of us as people. You don't need to tell everyone how un-personlike they see us, as if we don't already know. There is nothing to be understood about these people other than the fact that their hearts are filled with nothing but hate and they wish to see those that aren't like them burn. So stop preaching what they think as if it fucking matters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 2001 documentary about Robert Eads' life and death, Southern Comfort, is freely streamable on snagfilms.com.

It's a beautiful, sad, enraging film that portrays society's gender outcasts banding together and creating their own close-knit family. (I'm watching Pose right now, and it's similar in that sense.) Some beautiful souls. I can't recommend it enough.

Thank you for sharing this.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Are you fucking serious! I bairly function as is now. Why is it that I can't live a normal life without people sticking their fingers in protections. Is it time to take arms on Twitter and protest because I fully intend to go calling the proper channels again like last time!

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Reference to Historical Violence
"Impeach him!"
"Vote him out!"

Better idea.

576cb32f05aae_louisette.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
maybe if we win enough debates with neo-nazis online, they'll give us our access to healthcare back?

(no, because their wicked bastards who enjoy hurting people)

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Showing he cares more about the Insurance companies lobbying him because they don't want to pay than the people. Similar to the army ban (army didn't want to pay for prescriptions and surgeries), it's all about $$$$ > people.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, are the centrist "allies" finally going to stand up for trans rights now? What's that Pelosi? It's not worth it to pursue defending minority rights? If you say so......

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Fuck you using this shit for your dumbass revolution soapbox, you're scum trying to bank on other people's pain

My point is history shows us fascism does not go quietly into the night. I am not literally saying we should round up Trump and his cronies and decapitate them one by one, although I can't say I lose sleep at night over the idea. Direct action is the only thing fascists respond to, whether that's protesting, deplatforming, or other methods. Even if we voted in a new president in 2020, we're still looking at a congress and court stacked with a political party made up of fascists.

This brand of Republican Christo-fascism is deeply embedded into this country, its laws, and its politicians. As it stands our system is utterly failing to prevent the spread and infestation of this. People are going to die unless fascists face material consequences for their actions. At what point do we just sit back and hope our checks and balances sorts itself out?

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't go away in '20 no matter what btw. Supreme Court has already been lost for minimum a generation. You Can Not vote on that

Not quite. Electing pro-LGBT officials in other forms of State governments can help minimize the damage and work around anti-LGBT SCOTUS decisions.

And if Trump loses in 2020 this can be rolled back (add it to the list), as far as I understand this is a purely executive decision.

Don't give up.

OP
OP
lake

lake

Oct 27, 2017
ThinkProgress: Trump just dismantled one of the last major protections keeping transgender people safe

This piece gives a good higher-level analysis of the Trump government's overall assault against trans people's human rights across numerous fronts.
ThinkProgress said:
As it stands, the administration will deny transgender people support for virtually any kind of discrimination they might experience. Some transgender people — including both students and workers — have found support in the courts, with judges accepting the reality of who transgender people are and protecting them under federal "sex" protections. But the Trump administration also argues against transgender people in these cases, as can be expected when the Supreme Court takes up a transgender woman's workplace discrimination case later this year.

The Trump administration has issued nothing short of a license to eradicate transgender people from daily life. Each of the last few years, the number of reported murders of transgender people has increased, and Trump is apparently not interested in doing anything to give transgender people a fair chance at a basic life.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
There's some real irony that these conservatives who are pushing for this are so against "sharia law" but are perfectly fine with "christian law". But then again their entire viewpoint for "fuck you, got mine" has been built on contradictions, so it's not that shocking.

Honestly worried now how fast the big insurers will move to deny transgender people medical support. x_x

OP
OP
lake

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing this.
You're welcome, glad you're watching. Southern Comfort is powerfully moving and deserves to be experienced by a larger audience.

Honestly worried now how fast the big insurers will move to deny transgender people medical support. x_x
Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll play out here in California (we have more LGBT protections than most) but worst case, as would occur in most states, my own ongoing insurance coverage battle would be fucked. Scary and depressing as hell.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll play out here in California (we have more LGBT protections than most) but worst case, as would occur in most states, my own ongoing insurance coverage battle would be fucked. Scary and depressing as hell.

Yeah, me being in Florida is making me wary (even if my area always votes liberal consistently, the majority of the state is red and the state legislature would likely love to pass Trump-like stuff). >.>

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I sooo wish we could organize and be willing to risk jail, jobs and money.

I say occupy DC. Shut the Capitol down for a week. We won't tolerate fucking over transgender people. We won't tolerate messing with women's abortion rights.

We're not organizing like I know we can. The 60's college kids let their voice be heard. We need that now.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
We're not organizing like I know we can. The 60's college kids let their voice be heard. We need that now.

In a depressing sort of way, maybe that's why what's taking place now is so effective.

Those kids were Baby Boomers. It IS the 60s college kids that are doing this to the USA now. Or at least that generation.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
They just HAVE to hate someone, and they put that hate into laws that will lead to the death of human beings. Pure evil.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why the transgender community in particular is such a target for Trump and his hanger-ons. It's like they're settling some personal vendetta.
They're easier targets than gays or minorities. It's red meat for the bigots and christian fundamentalists that make up a large part of his base.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The trans community is the easy target atm with the "battle against homosexuality" thought to be lost.
If those assholes are able to strip every single right from transgender people, then they will refocus their sight on the gay community, and then the women, and so on and so forth.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can't you just openly say you wish Trump would die nowadays? He's evil, he's literally bringing harm to thousands, hundreds of thousands, and eventually millions of people. Real harm, even death, due to xenophobic policy that is literally from the Nazi playbook. I wish he died right now. Heart attack, whatever. Please die Trump you motherfucker.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to post a thread on this. Here's some personal accounts.

This will absolutely kill people, on top of all the other awful trans policies being put in place. I have a nice middle class job but I'm still researching the refugee process to Canada, just in case.

I remember hearing about some of these before, but it's just always so harrowing to sit here and realize that some people could despise us so much that they would rather literally watch us die than do their job to help us.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Even having grown up in a deeply conservative evangelical Christian culture, it never ceases to amaze me how conservative Christians are willing to compartmentalize and throw their support behind the most nakedly morally bankrupt of political figures so long as they are willing to use their power to attack "the right kind of people".