• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The game runs like poop on PC. I tried running the game at high (not even ultra) on an i7 6700K/GTX 1080 at 1080P. I was averaging 40s and hitting even 30s in gunfights. Far be it for me to expect playable framerate at 1440P where the performance impact is considerably higher than what it should be going from 1080P-1440P.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My favourite part of these analysis threads of sub-30FPS games is hearing about everyone with magic Xbox's that run the game smoothly. If you think games hitting low 20's is fine or can't notice why even bother coming into these threads to be honest.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played it on the X and was pretty shocked with how poorly it performed and looked. I was still able to enjoy it and excuse it for being a "six week old build" but if this translates to the final product, then nah, we got a fucking problem, Bioware.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Was the hub locked to like 20fps or so? It felt horrible.
My X is hooked to a 1080p TV as well. I noticed a lot of drops in Fort Tarsis, and open world was a touch better.

It didn't run at a consistent frame-rate, I'm 100% certain.

The X always outputs the same res, doesn't matter if you're hooked up to a 4k or 1080p tv. You're getting a downsampled image, so it's goinf to have the same drops as everybody else.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The X supersamples automatically, the PS4 Pro does not, if you have the option turned off and it's not enabled by the game.

Btw. Rich is doing it for DF and he has that noted.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The X looks close enough that I feel like they can get it to 30fps by launch, but the S? Man, the S has a ways to go...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The 1X really needs the option to disable downsampling for people with 1080p TVs. It's really not worth the massive performance hit in some of these games for what is essentially just super expensive anti aliasing.

Oct 27, 2017
No....it's not. Did you watch the same video as I did? I don't know what barometer you use for fine but consistently going into the low 20's for a shooter isn't fine.

A rock solid 30 fps is fine. It's not 60, but 30 fps is 'fine'.

A highly fluctuating framerate with terrible frame time going from low 20's to 30 back and forth while enemies are present is not fine.

They should give the premium consoles an option of 1080p at 30 fps lock. Instead of chasing high resolutions at the cost of a stable 30 fps.

Unfortunately they really can't go any lower for the base Xbox One.

I played it on th x.... It's fine.. yeah noticable at times... But not horrible by any means. You're exaggerating

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I played it on th x.... It's fine.. yeah noticable at times... But not horrible by any means. You're exaggerating

Literally every time there's a game with bad performance there are people that come in and claim it's fine. I mean anyone can say anything is fine by their own standards but what's the point of going into a thread about perfromance if you don't care or notice it in that way?

Anything that constantly drops to sub 30fps is basically the point where it is not "fine" for anyone that cares about consistent performance, especially on a so called premium console. It's actually ridiculous that we have these mid gen refreshes and still can't get stable 30fps in a ton of games let alone 60.

Last edited:

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't one of the devs say they were targeting 60, but couldn't hit it at launch? I feel like that's a pipe dream, or just straight up blowing smoke up my ass.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say this, my performance one day one was absolute shit, but the next morning it was much improved. I think a lot of these frame drops have to do with whatever issues Bioware was having during the demo.

I'm the last person who would defend this game, as I found it utterly disappointing, but I don't think the performance is nearly as bad as what we saw.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I will say this, my performance one day one was absolute shit, but the next morning it was much improved. I think a lot of these frame drops have to do with whatever issues Bioware was having during the demo.

I'm the last person who would defend this game, as I found it utterly disappointing, but I don't think the performance is nearly as bad as what we saw.

Hopefully the public demo is a lot better. I've heard some varying reports on PC as well. Some people say they can't even do 1080/60fps on a 1070.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally every time there's a game with bad performance there are people that come in and claim it's fine. I mean anyone can say anything is fine by their own standards but what's the point of going into a thread about perfromance if you don't care or notice it in that way?

Anything that constantly drops to sub 30fps is basically the point where it is not "fine" for anyone that cares about consistent performance, especially on a so called premium console. It's actually ridiculous that we have these mid gen refreshes and still can't get stable 30fps in a ton of games let alone 60.

Ok but your post history suggests you care more about performance rather than actually playing games. Which is fine, that's what you enjoy about games. I used to be the same way with pc gaming. But now... Frankly I don't give a damn and would rather worry about having fun rather than constantly dissecting issues with "frame pacing" or "60fps".

Game was fun, even at 25 fps for me. So even if it's not fixed I'll be buying

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't run great on PC either, unless you have the hardware to bruteforce it. It doesn't look anywhere near good enough to justify the poor performance.

For context I was able to run it at 4k Ultra 60fps for the most part (2080ti), but when lots of specials and general activity was on the screen at once, it dropped into the mid 40s or so before working it's way back up. I'm running with gsync, so I probably wouldn't of noticed if I wasn't actively paying attention to the metrics.

I can't imagine playing it at sub 30 fps. Yikes.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Hey NXGamer is my partner at Rectify Gaming! He does technical analysis to go alongside my editorial content and he deserves much more eyes.

We are planning on some joint Anthem coverage and the PC version specifically on a SSD is so much further ahead than the other versions.

I was hoping he can do a comparison of all platforms when I gave him the friend codes, however I do suspect he can only redeem one code per EA account. I have always enjoyed all his analysis.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

it isn´t fine on consoles, doesn´t matter if it is the X or the Pro. game is horribly optimized atm.

Game was fun, even at 25 fps for me. So even if it's not fixed I'll be buying

"game runs like shit, doesn´t matter, i´ll buy anyways!"
things like that are exactly the reason why the publishers release games with bad performance.they are bought anyways. if everyone that decides to buy such software at launch would give the money to a charity instead of rewarding bad software the world would be a better place.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the demo from an old build? I mean, even if, you should not let the audience test the game in such a state, but still something to consider.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the demo from an old build? I mean, even if, you should not let the audience test the game in such a state, but still something to consider.
Yes early december. Also optimization always happens at the very end. And Frostbite games usually see big jumps between earlier builds and release builds.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yes early december. Also optimization always happens at the very end. And Frostbite games usually see big jumps between earlier builds and release builds.
Your right and we should hope for the best, but we can't get upset or make excuses for people looking critically at performance on what was advertised as a demo, not a beta, of a game 2 weeks from release. Whatever they do, it would be naive to think they will deliver substantial improvements this close to launch as they struggle to get 5 versions of the game out the door.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Performance on the Xbox One X was disappointing in the demo. It's a whole other game when played on PC.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the public demo is a lot better. I've heard some varying reports on PC as well. Some people say they can't even do 1080/60fps on a 1070.

I doubt they will be able to create another demo in a week or waste their time optimising a demo when the developers will be working night and day to get the full game finished for launch.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Does NXGamer post on here? If so try pushing the res down to 1080p and supersampling off it you are testing it on the Pro. Runs at an unlocked framerate then.
I do indeed, I wanted to test the PS4 and PC but code only let me use on one platform, hence the X and S only hear as RocketPunch shared his code.

I will be testing that on Pro as I have done a few times before such as Evil Within 2, RDR2 which is a good feature of the Pro and why I stated giving the user the choice in the OS is the best use of GPU resources.

Hey, I am on TV! That's where my friend pass went, lol.

Ha ha, cheers man for the share, will have full analysis again this weekend.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I do indeed, I wanted to test the PS4 and PC but code only let me use on one platform, hence the X and S only hear as RocketPunch shared his code.

I will be testing that on Pro as I have done a few times before such as Evil Within 2, RDR2 which is a good feature of the Pro and why I stated giving the user the choice in the OS is the best use of GPU resources.
You think most of these problems are optimization or are the consoles pushed to hard?

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
You think most of these problems are optimization or are the consoles pushed to hard?
I think both, as I say in the video adding in a 1080p mode on X and Pro I think could certainly offer a locked 30, maybe from this a solid (enough) 60 maybe too far but I am not sure what all the issues are here. Memory management, streaming and of course just pure load are part of it but this seems to be much more code improvement than simply Res and post reductions. I hope a patch is released for all formats and with a Pc look it helps explain more...possibly

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Optimization"

Always funny to read.

The game looked and performed well on my system (PC), but I brute forced it (2700x/2080) and I should probably have been getting more frames than I was.

The real problems for me come from severe lack of feedback during combat in terms of understanding when you're being hit and from where. And a general lack of feedback with the shooting itself.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it can maintain 30fps at launch, the game is very enjoyable otherwise. The number of technical issues in the demo were astounding, they have a lot of work to get done within a few weeks.

BigLee74

Oct 2, 2018
Poor performance on the X dampened my enthusiasm, that's for sure. But not as much as the static and frequent loading screens! I mean, its like being warped back to the late 90s.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Even though the point of this beta is to get feedback on this exact thing a game like anthem should have performance settings.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think both, as I say in the video adding in a 1080p mode on X and Pro I think could certainly offer a locked 30, maybe from this a solid (enough) 60 maybe too far but I am not sure what all the issues are here. Memory management, streaming and of course just pure load are part of it but this seems to be much more code improvement than simply Res and post reductions. I hope a patch is released for all formats and with a Pc look it helps explain more...possibly

Hey mate, nice to see you posting!

I found the controller response on the X terrible when it dropped frames.

Considering I get 40-50fps on my PC with an i5 4690k @ 4GHz and a 970 at 1080p / Medium settings the X should have no issues holding a locked 30fps at dynamic 4k.

I can't see how a 1080p mode would work in this game on the Pro / X since it seems very CPU dependant.