• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Have you got some links to GDC/SIGGRAPH/other talks on this? Definitely not something I've seen get brought up before.
On what? I'm pretty sure this is common knowledge -- both of those details.

RenderTargets have been the primary consumer of VRAM for the past 15 years. Color Compression for the framebuffer exists, but it does not save VRAM requirements, it merely reduces bandwidth requirements.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Any 3080 owners already around?
Could one of you PLEASE run the RTX Bright Memory Ray Tracing Benchmark and post the result.
1440p/DLSS Quality/Maxed out RT, preferably not manually overclocked.

store.steampowered.com

Bright Memory: Infinite Ray Tracing Benchmark on Steam

Benchmark software created by FYQD-Studio to test performance of next-gen ray tracing in Bright Memory: Infinite.

I know, a lot to ask, but it would be very helpfull to find out what I want to upgrade to.

There you go. I have a 3700x and a Palit 3080 non-oc version.

brightmemoryrtxbenchm9ijsw.png

Kryptonic

Dec 14, 2018
USA
I've been getting ctd and bsod/pc restarts with my 3080 FE. Mostly in Avengers and NMS.
i7 6700k was overclocked to 4.4 but now default
32GB DDR4 rated for 3000 xmp but also running at default now 2133 to try and factor out any stability issues I've maybe had due to cpu/ram overclocks. My asus z170 mobo has never really played well with default xmp profile.
750 watt evga 80 gold psu
Think I was getting similar crashes in Avengers with my 1080ti so who knows if my current crashes are related to my 3080 or other issues. Looking forward to a zen3 cpu/mobo.
On top of that dealing with gsync/chroma subsampling issues of the LG CX lol

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Ya folks. I'm running a 3080FE. No physical OC that I've inputted. Running every game Maxed out 1440p. No crashes. Running low temps in most games, 60's. Some have even held in the 50's. Overwatch was the only game I've played that temps got to 74. But it never wavered from that temp. GPU boost in all games I've played is boosting the card to over 2000mhz.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is RDR2 stable enough itself to rule that out as an issue with poor drivers?
12 hours no crashing on my 3080FE after getting my overclock/undervolt settings correct (and no crashes whatsoever at stock), so I'd say yes. It did crash as soon as I tried to push my undervolt just a little too far, and was often the only game that would show the instability. Mission 1 in particular seemed to cause the most problems.

Ylor

Oct 25, 2017
12 hours no crashing on my 3080FE after getting my overclock/undervolt settings correct (and no crashes whatsoever at stock), so I'd say yes. It did crash as soon as I tried to push my undervolt just a little too far, and was often the only game that would show the instability. Mission 1 in particular seemed to cause the most problems.
Where did you settle on your undervolt? I'm at 0.800v @ 1800Mhz on my FE with +500 on mem.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Where did you settle on your undervolt? I'm at 0.800v @ 1800Mhz on my FE with +500 on mem.
I wanted extra performance over stock (at least in the most demanding games) so I settled on 0.925 @ 1905Mhz. I haven't touched the memory, I might play around with it and see if it's worth it. I average around 300W power usage in the most demanding games like RDR2, with peaks of 335W (it might be closer to 290W/320W, it's been a couple days since I tested and I changed settings so much the results started running together), and my temps don't go any higher than 74C.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
let me give you guys a pro-tip
stop oc'ing your cards and just turn down stupid settings and play the game
At least some people are having the problems without manual overclocking, just the AIB / SKU's boost clocks. People shouldn't have to underclock their cards to get them to work.
Yep, 100% this. Saw numerous people in the 3080 Discord have to downclock their brand new 3080 because it crashed while just trying to play a game.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty good summary, only problem I have with it is EVGA already admitted they saw issues when they tried no mlcc's on their card, and Buildzoid has a great video where he agrees it's definitely a problem. We don't know that it's the whole problem, but we do know it can be a problem.

I don't think that is the correct takeaway. The correct takeaway is that you can't reduce it to these caps good, those caps bad. That's where a lot of the discussion has been.

No doubt there is an issue but people are being reductive. This could just as easily be an issue that affects lower binned parts b/c they require better power delivery to boost. The entire power delivery system is then a part of the consideration.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that is the correct takeaway. The correct takeaway is that you can't reduce it to these caps good, those caps bad. That's where a lot of the discussion has been.

No doubt there is an issue but people are being reductive.
His TLDR is basically we don't know that it's a problem having all sp-cap's when we do in fact know it is because EVGA stated they had trouble when they tried it.

I agree we can't claim ASUS's setup of having all mlcc's is better than the FE's setup of having sp-cap's and mlcc's for example, and unfortunately some people are just simplifying it way too much.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope DF looks at Ultra Performance DLSS soon. I'm really interested at what resolution it's using at 1440p since it really does seem entirely CPU bound on the 3080.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just as an update, I saw zero difference in RDR2 with a +500 mem overclock, gonna try one or two other games but I have a feeling the memory speed is high enough stock for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just as an update, I saw zero difference in RDR2 with a +500 mem overclock, gonna try one or two other games but I have a feeling the memory speed is high enough stock for me.
remember it's ECC memory. It doesn't overclock the same way or anywhere near as high. The only way you'll know if you're losing performance on that OC is if you bench it. Most OC's are in the +250 range, max before memory errors start to cause lost performance.

Bench with 3DMark to verify you're not doing more harm than good with that +500.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
remember it's ECC memory. It doesn't overclock the same way or anywhere near as high. The only way you'll know if you're losing performance on that OC is if you bench it. Most OC's are in the +250 range, max before memory errors start to cause lost performance.

Bench with 3DMark to verify you're not doing more harm than good with that +500.
I know all that, in 3DMark I was able to get up to +800 before performance started declining. Most reviews I read showed around a +750 boost being viable so I'm curious where you got that 250 number from.

Edit: AC:Odyssey exact same performance once again with and without memory OC. Gonna test Horizon and FH4, but right now I don't think OC'ing the memory for games is worth it for the resolution/settings I tend to run.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High end GPU launches attract a certain kind of crowd that actually wants to push their hardware. Its part of this weird thing called a 'hobby' or something.
Those sort of hobbyist would be better waiting a month or two for the actual non launch cards where Manufacturers put out super customized cards etc.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I hope DF looks at Ultra Performance DLSS soon. I'm really interested at what resolution it's using at 1440p since it really does seem entirely CPU bound on the 3080.

Same. I think 1440p would be roughly ~853 x 480; 1/3 the amount of pixels on each axis. Assuming it works the same way at every resolution. Someone showed Bright memory getting way more fps with UP mode compared to normal performance, so it does seem to suggest it really does work from a much lower resolution. It's kinda crazy what it seems able to do.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OK, finished benching 4 games with and without +500 mem oc. Only 1 game showed any difference at all, Forza Horizon 4 showed a .5 fps increase. And as mentioned in a previous post, I know 100% for sure that the memory on my card will handle higher than +500 without performance degredation, so that wasn't the issue.

So yeah, I'm just going to leave the memory at stock for the lower power draw.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I think 1440p would be roughly ~853 x 480; 1/3 the amount of pixels on each axis. Assuming it works the same way at every resolution. Someone showed Bright memory getting way more fps with UP mode compared to normal performance, so it does seem to suggest it really does work from a much lower resolution. It's kinda crazy what it seems able to do.

Yeah, the results we were posting here showed that I got a 30fps increase compared to regular performance mode on a 3080 with a Ryzen 3800x, but someone on a 3900x got a full 60fps difference. We got the same result in other DLSS modes within the margin of error. It's crazy.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I don't care for the 3080 FE, I would be all over the 3090 FE if I had the cash and a specific use for it (not just gaming then)
It's beautiful, build quality is top notch and the cooler is great
It's the first time a FE design is so good that going for AiBs at the same price point doesn't make sense
Even those at higher price points are not worth the premium to me

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I don't care for the 3080 FE, I would be all over the 3090 FE if I had the cash and a specific use for it (not just gaming then)
It's beautiful, build quality is top notch and the cooler is great
It's the first time a FE design is so good that going for AiBs at the same price point doesn't make sense
Even those at higher price points are not worth the premium to me
Honestly I feel like the 3080 cooler is also great (especially for a true 2 slot). It's obviously smaller than the 3090, but it keeps my temps at around 73-75C with fans only running around 50% in my Lian Li O11 Dynamic case.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, the results we were posting here showed that I got a 30fps increase compared to regular performance mode on a 3080 with a Ryzen 3800x, but someone on a 3900x got a full 60fps difference. We got the same result in other DLSS modes within the margin of error. It's crazy.

I just tried Control at 1440p UP mode and it was a bit sickly. Went from like 40-45 fps to like 70+ fps on a 2070S at max settings though. I don't think it helped that I think Control looks graphically hideous on any settings in motion, but I don't think UP mode seemed worth using at 1440p.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Free mooncake. That's the best promotion I've seen.

I watch an food channel on Youtube called Strictly Dumpling that covers a lot of Asian cuisine from Taiwan, South Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Japan.

There was this one episode in which they covered Mooncakes for some kind of festival. I never had one myself but would like try one someday. I doubt I can get one since I'm from Philadelphia. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can get at an Asian Food Market, and I'd need to go to a specialty bakery or something. Oh well.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I've been overclocking today just before the new driver came out. I've managed to get quite a bit more so far out of the core clock on my FE. Couldn't get past 90MHz offset without crashing just using Port Royal. Now managed a full run with 150MHz. Not touched memory yet.

Edit: 160MHz seems to be my max now.
Edit 2: Memory stable is up from 240MHz to 525MHz (without performance degredation).

Last edited:

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Any 3080 owners already around?
Could one of you PLEASE run the RTX Bright Memory Ray Tracing Benchmark and post the result.
1440p/DLSS Quality/Maxed out RT, preferably not manually overclocked.

store.steampowered.com

Bright Memory: Infinite Ray Tracing Benchmark on Steam

Benchmark software created by FYQD-Studio to test performance of next-gen ray tracing in Bright Memory: Infinite.

I know, a lot to ask, but it would be very helpfull to find out what I want to upgrade to.

I got 65 with those settings.

16gb RAM
TUF 3080

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I watch an food channel on Youtube called Strictly Dumpling that covers a lot of Asian cuisine from Taiwan, South Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Japan.

There was this one episode in which they covered Mooncakes for some kind of festival. I never had one myself but would like try one someday. I doubt I can get one since I'm from Philadelphia. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can get at an Asian Food Market, and I'd need to go to a specialty bakery or something. Oh well.

You can get moon cakes at Asian markets (I'd imagine even in Philadelphia). You've probably even come across them in the past but didn't notice. They're typically only seasonal though.