• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
It's buggy and broken for a significant amount of people. I don't understand why they decided getting rid of their internal windows testing team was a good idea. Windows updates suck.

I mean, isn't that obvious? Windows has passed from Star to Cash Cow quite a few years ago, which is why a 5 years old system made by one of the most important companies in the world has still ui elements from two versions ago

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My laptop had finally notified me that W10 2004 was ready for install, but I delayed the restart. Now I check and it's in the "on the way" status. Microsoft be trolling.

Went ahead and installed 451.48 anyway.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Seems like GPU scheduling is only supported starting from the 1000 series cards. Too bad, I could have used any boost to minimum FPS with my GTX 970 until the 3000 series releases.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What's a good free benchmark to run for on/off comparisons?
..or what game has a good benchmark included? Maybe I have it to try already. (over 1000 Steam games)

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Let me tell you, idk if it was the new drivers, wddm 2.7, or hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling, but this is the most buttery smooth gsync I have ever experienced. Apex Legends, if you play it you know is a very very stuttery game at the very beginning when people are jumping out of the ship. No longer. RDR 2 fps has drastically increased as well as become rock solid smooth using vulkan (didnt try dx12 yet). I played valorant, and I don't believe I had 1 dropped frame or stutter the entire time. I can't wait to test even more games, but my god, I am so thrilled that we've finally gotten smoothness back to Windows 1709 levels, or even surpassed it.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Still wasnt able to test it but from my experience I already had smooth frametimes until 1-2 months ago. I guess some windows updates or 2004 itself broke them.
Even in BF4 were the After Burner graph was basically a flat line without any spikes (not even small ones, just a flat line) started to have fluctating frametimes you only really noticed it on the graph in this specific game though.
Other games like Metro went really jittery.
But I though I went crazy because I had no hardware changes or so.
I hope this fixed it.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it is about how memory is maintained on the GPU, the thing about mixed refresh rates on 2 or more monitors the other page is another different specific fix in windows regardless of video driver.
"Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is the main feature of WDDM 2.7 and it allows the integrated/dedicated graphics card to manage its own video RAM directly, which in turn give you better performance, reduced latency, increased average or minimum frame-rates, and improved video playback. "

This is about minimum framerates and stutters in game, basically.
Someone posted that this driver boosts RDR 2 performance on pascal GPUS by over 10%. Might be worth checking out as thats a really bad game for most Nvidia GPUs.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not seeing any issues with D:OS2. Is this a confirmed bug?

Apparently it was fixed according to the driver release notes
Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 451.48

The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved in this version. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.

Fixed Issues in this Release
[Just Cause 2]: The game does not detect CUDA files which results in missing "GPU Water Simulation" and "Bokeh Filter" settings. [2994570]
[Sea of Thieves]: Issues with game rendering occur. [200614095][Resident Evil 2 Remake]: The game may display random object and menu flickering. [2997880]
[Devil May Cry 5]: The game may display random object flickering. [2997814]
[Divinity Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition]: The game experiences low performance when hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is enabled. [3009631]
[Notebook]: Windows Mixed Reality headsets may display jitter when connected to the HDMI port linked to the NVIDIA Optimus notebook integrated graphics. [2971312]
[G-SYNC]: G-SYNC does not work with DirectX 9 games if "Disable full screen optimizations" is selected. [2969897]
Display brightness increases while enabling GPU scaling. [200612966]
NVIDIA HD Audio may disappear after display goes to sleep. [2807732]
The cursor turns into a grey rectangle when playing YouTube 4K HDR videos. [3009602]

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Installed---> MSI Afterburner VCORE and VRAM using stat not working. :( (GTX1080Ti)

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I'm seeing an enormous performance improvement in Yuzu and RPCS3. I haven't tested to see if it's just HAGS causing the improvement, or if it's some other aspect of the driver update, though. In any case, those emulators would normally be bottlenecked by the CPU, not the GPU, so I guess those are the situations where you'll see the most benefit.

In Mario Odyssey, some areas that previously ran at 35-40fps are getting 60fps. It's bonkers. I'm running on a laptop with an i5 7300HQ and a GTX 1060.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I've enabled the GPU scheduling in Windows, but I doubt I'll notice any difference seeing as my 1660 Ti powers games decently enough most of the time.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Installed driver but I haven't gotten W10 v2004 yet.

I legit have not kept up on PC gaming the last few years so I have no idea what the implications of any of this is, this thread is the first indication that anything big is coming out of this to me lol

Jun 2, 2019
It's been a while since i last updated the drivers for my 2060 and turns out i'm eligible for the 2004 W10 update too.

Can't wait to test this out.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Let me tell you, idk if it was the new drivers, wddm 2.7, or hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling, but this is the most buttery smooth gsync I have ever experienced. Apex Legends, if you play it you know is a very very stuttery game at the very beginning when people are jumping out of the ship. No longer. RDR 2 fps has drastically increased as well as become rock solid smooth using vulkan (didnt try dx12 yet). I played valorant, and I don't believe I had 1 dropped frame or stutter the entire time. I can't wait to test even more games, but my god, I am so thrilled that we've finally gotten smoothness back to Windows 1709 levels, or even surpassed it.

I swear COD Warzone and BFV feel smoother for me. I should test PUBG and Cemu because those were always stuttery for me.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Played some Warzone after updating everything and it felt smoother. My frames also seemed to be a bit higher at times, though there are so many variables in the game that it's hard to measure. Guess there's a chance it could have been placebo but I honestly don't think it was.

Occasionally, I'll get a bug where the game becomes jittery after redeploying from the gulag and remains that way until the match is over. It seemed like I experienced that bug during a match, but it was as if there was a layer of smoothness over the jitteriness. It's a bit hard to explain.

I'm running a 9900k/2080 Ti FE.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we get benchmarks from somewhere reputable showing what if anything HAGS does for games. This seems like something that should benefit Nvidia cards with smaller pools of ram the most.

All these positive responses...
/cries in Maxwell

Don't worry, those of us that could potentially take advantage of it that are stuck in purgatory waiting for MS to work out whatever issues have been holding up the 2004 update for weeks are suffering right along with you.

Last edited:

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Played some Warzone after updating everything and it felt smoother. My frames also seemed to be a bit higher at times, though there are so many variables in the game that it's hard to measure. Guess there's a chance it could have been placebo but I honestly don't think it was.

Occasionally, I'll get a bug where the game becomes jittery after redeploying from the gulag and remains that way until the match is over. It seemed like I experienced that bug during a match, but it was as if there was a layer of smoothness over the jitteriness. It's a bit hard to explain.

I'm running a 9900k/2080 Ti FE.

did you have this before the new driver?

I know what you mean by jittery. it seems like the g ame is loading something and the cpu get stressed which causes the frametimes to fluctate --> jitter
I have this in Metro Exodus under DX12 but there its not the loading its just dependend on where I look at. Funnily enough it gets better when I enable V-Sync although I have V-Sync enabled in the Control Panel. ( is use G-Sync)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Can't update to Windows 2004, saying that it doesn't support my PC yet or whatever. So won't be able to use GPU scheduling.

Got pretty standard hardware, not sure why I can't update yet.

Any way to force the update?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Can't update to Windows 2004, saying that it doesn't support my PC yet or whatever. So won't be able to use GPU scheduling.

I don't recall what the process is, but (if you haven't done so yet) you should probably check up on the open issues to make sure you don't bork your PC.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Does this bring anything new to existing GTX cards? Or is it only RTX cards that get new stuff?

I just received the update last night for my laptop's GTX 1650 MaxQ 4GB, but not sure if it means anything for my system or not.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020

Oh shit gotta give it a try I guess. Doubt it will make much of a difference for a 2080ti.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
did you have this before the new driver?

I know what you mean by jittery. it seems like the g ame is loading something and the cpu get stressed which causes the frametimes to fluctate --> jitter
I have this in Metro Exodus under DX12 but there its not the loading its just dependend on where I look at. Funnily enough it gets better when I enable V-Sync although I have V-Sync enabled in the Control Panel. ( is use G-Sync)

I did have the issue before the newest driver. I want to say it started to occur after the previous driver or latest game update It's pretty recent.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just have to test it out with some games.

This past few days my HP Spectre x360 laptop got the new Windows 2004 update, a new system BIOS version, and now this Nvidia update.

Lots of new updates coming in this past week.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Downloaded the new nvidia driver to try gpu scheduling, but I don't even have the may 2004 update yet i think ;( I googled and it says they're slowly releasing it.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
120hz + 60hz monitors. Twitch streams on the 60hz monitor look awful. Tearing and slowdown.
Windows 10 2004 and this new nvidia driver with a RTX 2070 Super.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I've been running 450.12 with HAGS for a while now and now updated to this driver, no issues here with my GTX 1070 and a 144hz G-Sync and 60hz standard monitor. I don't have any hard data but from playing alone games like Battlefield V where I'm CPU-limited feel quite a bit better.

120hz + 60hz monitors. Twitch streams on the 60hz monitor look awful. Tearing and slowdown.
Windows 10 2004 and this new nvidia driver with a RTX 2070 Super.

That's more or less the expected behavior with the new model, the high refresh-rate monitor is always given priority now. I rather like it that way, my games on my primary display should get all the attention, whatever I put on my 60hz monitior I always deem secondary and unimportant.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Keep in mind that Turin/20xx cards are the ones that will benefit from this. If this already improves performance across the board on Turing then it will be pretty exciting when games directly take advantage of these new features.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Ok I installed may 2004 update, and tested Control. No noticeable difference in fps. I have gpu scheduling on as well.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
That's more or less the expected behavior with the new model, the high refresh-rate monitor is always given priority now. I rather like it that way, my games on my primary display should get all the attention, whatever I put on my 60hz monitior I always deem secondary and unimportant.

It is? Guess I'm turning it off then. If it's giving absolutely every to FF14, a directx 11 game then erm, that seems a little wasteful lol.

Wonder if I capped my frame rate on my gaming monitor to 120hz, it would save something for a video running on my second monitor. I'll have to have a tinker and see, if not it's being turned off for casual games.