• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
It's a miracle he made it to 18. Holy shit. Good for him surviving and getting vaccinated.
He likely only made it that far because other parents aren't idiotic tools and actually get their children vaccinated. Likely he knows this too, as herd immunity is one of the most important reasons to get vaccinated.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
So glad antivax are not a thing here. The current vaccination campaign here for children is at 85% complete and all remaining children will be vaccinated even if they health personal has to go to each school personally. 100% vaccination is the goal as every year.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
male in nebulous phase between childhood and adulthood decides to get vaccinated

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think I can ever forgive my parents if they did this to me, especially if I contracted a preventable disease. Luckey for this young adult he didn't and good on him for defying his batshit insane parents.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up, Lindenberger said he listened to what his mom told him about how vaccines were bad and carried negative side effects. He thought it was normal to not receive vaccines.

But then in school, Lindenberger got pulled out of class and asked by educators to get vaccinated. He talked with friends and realized all of them had been vaccinated, but that he didn't even know what a flu shot felt like. He saw more and more anti-vaccination debates popping up on social media. Slowly, he started to question what his mother had told him.

So, he did some research of his own.

"When I started looking into it myself, it became very apparent that there was a lot more evidence in defense of vaccinations, in their favor,"

After researching, Lindenberger tried to confront his mother, approaching her with an article from the CDC about how vaccines don't cause autism.

"Her response was simply 'that's what they want you to think,' " he said. "I was just blown away that you know, the largest health organization in the entire world would be written off with a kind of conspiracy theory-like statement like that."

This is like when Buddha got out of his palace and saw the real world

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mum had seven kids?

Seven fucking children?

Yes. This is her with them:

RkaYIHe.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was more defying his mother than his father to be honest:

https://undark.org/article/vaccine-exemptions-children/

It helped a bit, he says, that his father reacted less harshly. Despite being in the "same camp" as his mom, Lindenberger said, his dad told him "Hey, you're 18, you can do what you want and we can't really stop you."

For her part, Lindenberger's mother says her son's decision to seek out vaccinations for himself felt like an insult. "I did not immunize him because I felt it was the best way to protect him and keep him safe," Wheeler said of her son, calling his decision "a slap in the face."

"It was like him spitting on me," she continued, "saying 'You don't know anything, I don't trust you with anything. You don't know what you're talking about. You did make a bad decision and I'm gonna go fix it.'"

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but mom's seem far more likely than dad's to be antivaxxers in my experience. I'm assuming mommy blogs are the main reason.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
"It was like him spitting on me," she continued, "saying 'You don't know anything, I don't trust you with anything. You don't know what you're talking about. You did make a bad decision and I'm gonna go fix it.'"

I love how she is stating it as if it were a similie, when it is quite literally that.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
You know i tried googling for an answer, but what are anti-vaccination parents excuse when they have have a child on the spectrum?
Can't believe everything you see online (ha) but I saw a Reddit post on /vaxxhappened of an anti-vax mom arguing with an autistic kid online who didn't get vaccines: she said that his parents getting vaxxed caused it.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Teen? THe dude is 18. He has the right to get vaccine without his parent . I thought this would be about someone in there actual teens
I don't know why people are harping on you for this. The headline is clearly misleading. A legal adult choosing to get immunized is not what "teen defying parents" implies.

Magni

I got vaccinated in my 20s, and yes my mother thought it would cause autism. I mocked her for this.

I hope you did more than just mock. Your mom put your life and those of people around you in danger. Hopefully she no longer has those irrationally beliefs?

I don't know why, but mom's seem far more likely than dad's to be antivaxxers in my experience. I'm assuming mommy blogs are the main reason.

While anecdotally it feels that way, if a non-antivaxxer man is a comparent with an antivaxxer, it is his duty as a father to ensure his child(ren) get properly vaccinated. Both parents should be legally responsible for any health issues or death related to their decision not to vaccinate their children.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope you did more than just mock. Your mom put your life and those of people around you in danger. Hopefully she no longer has those irrationally beliefs?
No, she still does, as I was brought up in a cult by my parents and she is quite ignorant of science. She's a very kind hearted, simple minded, completely ignorant person who I am one step away from being shunned by at any given moment. I have no other family and friends who haven't shunned me and my wife just left me in October so I will keep this last vestige of human contact for a little while longer.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's dangerous to get so many vaccines at once.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
As someone who went through his own "doing what's best for me instead of doing what my parents think is best for me" moment recently all I can say is good on this dude.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he got the HPV vaccine too. It's a great vaccine for both men and women and can prevent some horrible complications.
I wonder if it's dangerous to get so many vaccines at once.
Not really, though I'm sure it was kept to 4-5 at a time, as the article mentioned multiple rounds.

Your immune system encounters thousands of times more pathogens in a single day than all the vaccines given to you combined.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
Teen? THe dude is 18. He has the right to get vaccine without his parent . I thought this would be about someone in there actual teens

Teenager is not an actual stage of human development, a person is only called a teenager, because the word 'teen" is in their age. Biologically, the 3 main stages of human development are child( a human being below the age of puberty), adolescent(a human being that has begun puberty, transitioning into an adult), adult(a fully developed human). 18 begins legal adulthood, but at that age you still have developing to do. For instance, the studies that show the brain isn't fully developed till around the age of 25.
---

I'm glad for the guy. It must of been hell for him having to wait till he turned 18.