• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots. Off the top of my head here's a few

Persona 5
God of War 2018
Infamous Second Son and Last Light
Far Cry 4 and Primal
Final Fantasy XV
Life is Strange and LiS Before the Storm
Horizon Zero Dawn
DOOM
Wolfenstein the Old Blood
A couple Telltale Gamea
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Dragon Age Inquisition
Witcher 3

And lots more
Nice list but it's missing some software from From Software.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a legit gaming addict. I also have over 100,000 Ganerscore on Xbox lol

I plan on it. I bought a Switch when it first released and played MK8, Zelda BoTW, and Mario Odyssey. After that I kinda bored with it and sold it. Then this year i re purchased one on Black Friday and now I own

MK8
Xenoblade 2
Super Smash Ultimate
Let's Go Pikachu
hm what made Xeno 2 more attractive almost exactly a year later?

the sale? or maybe the Torna dlc

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow. I wonder how many crows will be serve in a few weeks.

This literally just happened in November

After Nintendo released their PR I had multiple people write me on Twitter saying I was a fraud with fake data because Switch "only sold 850k"

I said Novembers results would be

All 3 platforms over 1 million
Switch massively up YoY
Both Xbox and PS4 down YoY
Ranking PS4 > Switch > Xbox

I was right on literally every point

Guess how many people wrote me back and apologized for their hateful comments?

Zero. None

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hang on, reporting this as news citing "NPD insider Benji"

Breaking per Benji

Nintendo has sold negative amount of consoles in December while the God King PS4 sold 3 million.

Nintendo is so devastated they decided to sell the company to MS and the savior of the Xbox One All in One Entertainment System Phil Spencer

The next Zelda game will now be GAAS where you get the base game for free on GamePass but have to pay $29.99 per Dungeon

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking per Benji

Nintendo has sold negative amount of consoles in December while the God King PS4 sold 3 million.

Nintendo is so devastated they decided to sell the company to MS and the savior of the Xbox One All in One Entertainment System Phil Spencer

The next Zelda game will now be GAAS where you get the base game for free on GamePass but have to pay $29.99 per Dungeon
No, you're supposed to make people hate you, not make them adore you by describing the best timeline

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hang on, reporting this as news citing "NPD insider Benji"

For real though I saw a post in another thread saying these December numbers can't be true because NPD insiders don't have the data yet.

This is how misinformation spreads, dozens of sites and Twitter accounts report on some of what Benji has said leaving out some crucial context (or just flat-out making some things up like him being an NPD insider).

It really must suck sometimes to be an insider.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For real though I saw a post in another thread saying these December numbers can't be true because NPD insiders don't have the data yet.

This is how misinformation spreads, dozens of sites and Twitter accounts report on some of what Benji has said leaving out some crucial context (or just flat-out making some things up like him being an NPD insider).

It really must suck sometimes to be an insider.

Ohhhh yeah it does.

There is great things about it. I've gotten to know a lot of people in the industry ranging from people working on the business side, at publishers, and at developers. That stuff is awesome.

I also get to talk to lots of great people on here and Twitter about sales stuff and honestly learn a lot from people like Welfare and MatPiscatella and Liabe Brave

But you also deal with an insane number of trolls. People misinterpreting what you are saying both accidentally and also intentionally and having people stalk down and follow every single thing you post to use back against you whenever you say something they dont like.

It's been one hell of a learning experience. This past year it's all blown up much faster than I ever thought considering I've been doing this for years. At times I second guess doing this and think about shutting down all of my social media presence and just sailing off into the sunset but at the end of the day I think it's worth sticking around to help drive discussion. Especially in an industry as needlessly secretive as this one.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen your predictions being passed as leaks on spanish videogame sites too Benji

This is so crazy to me

It's cool. But crazy. Never in a million years did I expect to get this kind of attention.

Really have to be careful moving forward and CRYSTAL CLEAR THESE ARE ONLY PROJECTIONS BASED ON DATA I HAVE ACCESS TO

To anyone out there reading my posts planning on reporting on them or spreading them around please be sure to be clear on that. This is not me leaking NPD data. I have no affiliation with them, and at the end of the day my projections may not come to pass. I do not have visibility to every piece of market data.

However I like to think I'm reliable enough to help drive discussions with the things I post. But people should not take them as 100% fact. There is always room for error and i dont and wont claim to always be 100% on the money. No one can be

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

After Nintendo released their PR I had multiple people write me on Twitter saying I was a fraud with fake data because Switch "only sold 850k"

Switch massively up YoY

Zero. None

That's the thing i hate the most. No matter if you share correctly 9 things out of 10, people will always just count that one time you was wrong and multiple it by x100 times.

That said i'm happy you are becoming popoular, be patient because people always want to talk shit, but i'm sure you'll also find a lot of supporter.

At least we can say we trusted Benji before it was cool

But he was always cool. :D

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing i hate the most. No matter if you share correctly 9 things out of 10, people will always just count that one time you was wrong and multiple it by x100 times.

That said i'm happy you are becoming popoular, be patient because people always want to talk shit, but i'm sure you'll also find a lot of supporter.

But he was always cool. :D

Yep. That's easily the most frustrating part

When I said God of War was a new record? Doesnt matter I was correct. When I said Spidey beat GoW after that? Doesnt matter I was correct. When I said Smash would be a new home console record for Nintendo? Doesnt matter i was correct. All the times in get stuff right doesn't matter. What matter is if I make one wrong prediction or not 100% accurate.

But what I'm learning is frankly fuck the haters. I dont have time for their negative bull shit and they will be and are promptly blocked when they become negative. I have lots of amazing people that enjoy what I do both in the industry as well cool people on forums. It used to get at me really bad focusing on negativity but now it's just like, simply block them out of my life. I dont owe them anything

But shit the last 2 pages of this thread have essentially been about myself. I apologize to the mods and admins on the forum we've gotten so off topic and sorry to everyone reading this thread that doesnt want to hear about me lol, didnt mean to take up so much space

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who would've thought that cute little dog from the 70s would grow up to be an industry insider.

I always believed in you Benji!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction that Astro-Bot will be a bigger hit than Jesus is making the rounds on the internet as we speak.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji can you please predict Persona 5 topping NPD charts in December with 7 million units sold through? Thanks

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh yeah it does.

There is great things about it. I've gotten to know a lot of people in the industry ranging from people working on the business side, at publishers, and at developers. That stuff is awesome.

I also get to talk to lots of great people on here and Twitter about sales stuff and honestly learn a lot from people like Welfare and MatPiscatella and Liabe Brave

But you also deal with an insane number of trolls. People misinterpreting what you are saying both accidentally and also intentionally and having people stalk down and follow every single thing you post to use back against you whenever you say something they dont like.

It's been one hell of a learning experience. This past year it's all blown up much faster than I ever thought considering I've been doing this for years. At times I second guess doing this and think about shutting down all of my social media presence and just sailing off into the sunset but at the end of the day I think it's worth sticking around to help drive discussion. Especially in an industry as needlessly secretive as this one.

As much as we'd all miss your insights and discussions I think most of us would totally understand if you stopped giving us info. I probably would if I was in your position.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction that Astro-Bot will be a bigger hit than Jesus is making the rounds on the internet as we speak.

We don't have any hard numbers for Astro-Bot yet but it has to be in the hundreds of thousands by now, in less than a year.
9SAm7cn.jpg

As you can see Astro-bot is significantly outpacing Christianity at the moment, probably over 200 years ahead. The real indicator has to be how it performs CoC (Century over Century) as Christianity didn't really blow up untill its 4th century with the widely hailed release of the Milan Edict in 313 AD. And an even bigger increase with the infamous Thessalonica Edict betrayal-ton of 380 AD, making it exclusive to the Roman Empire.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as we'd all miss your insights and discussions I think most of us would totally understand if you stopped giving us info. I probably would if I was in your position.

Noooo. We need some insiders to stick around. Sales insights aren't as secretive as actual games right?

Benji dont worry about the trolls buddy. I for one appreciate what you share.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noooo. We need some insiders to stick around. Sales insights aren't as secretive as actual games right?

Depends. The only 2 companies I'm aware of that have ever been actively angry at me are Sony and Activision. I think me and Sony are cool now though as both Shu and Shawn have responded to me on Twitter and that was a while back the drama went down

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think switch is selling well. In target where the switch hardware used to be its all playstation classics instead. ah well switch had a good run, I guess target just has more faith selling the PS classics

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why were they mad at you?

I'd rather not go into it

Let's just say someone at the company wasn't thrilled about me talking about the performance of one of their exclusive titles

But again this was a while ago and not sure who it came from. I think we are all good

Not gonna talk about Activision situation at all

julian

Oct 27, 2017
But shit the last 2 pages of this thread have essentially been about myself. I apologize to the mods and admins on the forum we've gotten so off topic and sorry to everyone reading this thread that doesnt want to hear about me lol, didnt mean to take up so much space

There's no real data to talk about. What else are we going to do?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not go into it

Let's just say someone at the company wasn't thrilled about me talking about the performance of one of their exclusive titles

But again this was a while ago and not sure who it came from. I think we are all good

Not gonna talk about Activision situation at all

Don't let Nintendo ninjas ever get to you.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Yep. That's easily the most frustrating part

When I said God of War was a new record? Doesnt matter I was correct. When I said Spidey beat GoW after that? Doesnt matter I was correct. When I said Smash would be a new home console record for Nintendo? Doesnt matter i was correct. All the times in get stuff right doesn't matter. What matter is if I make one wrong prediction or not 100% accurate.

But what I'm learning is frankly fuck the haters. I dont have time for their negative bull shit and they will be and are promptly blocked when they become negative. I have lots of amazing people that enjoy what I do both in the industry as well cool people on forums. It used to get at me really bad focusing on negativity but now it's just like, simply block them out of my life. I dont owe them anything

You kinda did.

I know I don't have a popular opinion on this, but I do have experience... a few years ago, I literally had the same type of information you have now... You like the attention you get from teasing insider information that you know you shouldn't be teasing. That attention comes in both positive and negative forms. You could stem some of the negativity by giving more details or even revealing your source and context, but I know that's not really an option. But if you think people are negative now, just wait until NPD starts adjusting their formulas and your information is no longer coincides with theirs. I honestly suggest you stop while your ahead. Your fans may not like it, but you don't really owe them anything, either.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You kinda did.

I know I don't have a popular opinion on this, but I do have experience... a few years ago, I literally had the same type of information you have now... You like the attention you get from teasing insider information that you know you shouldn't be teasing. That attention comes in both positive and negative forms. You could stem some of the negativity by giving more details or even revealing your source and context, but I know that's not really an option. But if you think people are negative now, just wait until NPD starts adjusting their formulas and your information is no longer coincides with theirs. I honestly suggest you stop while your ahead. Your fans may not like it, but you don't really owe them anything, either.

I thought NPD has hard numbers from point of sale. How would the formula be adjusted?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo cares

Honestly surprisingly most people I've talked to in the industry are glad I do what I do

It is honestly so bizarre. Like, the box office has multiple trackers and that data is incredible. Being able to see how things trend and perform is great. Imagine if the music industry was as secretive of sales numbers.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
You kinda did.

I think its fine, Benji gives predictions but gives the caveats that its based on just a slice of the market. Just being right in relative weighting of sales is good even if the exact figures are off.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You kinda did.

I dont agree with the notion this isnt information I should be teasing AT ALL

That's actually the main reason I do what I do. The notion of keeping secrecy about the state of the industry is both unhealthy and gross. People should be able to have some idea about what is healthy, what's not, and how the trends change decision's publishers make. This information needs to be out there.

And tbh I dont get any sort of "thrill" off this. If anything it causes me headache and stress. I do this to give back to the community. I remember back in the day people like Aqua and others relaying information to keep the sales community alive. This is just me doing my part.

I won't leak NPD data though. I'm not about that sort of thing.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Honestly surprisingly most people I've talked to in the industry are glad I do what I do

have you ever gotten any kind of "cease and desist"?

as repeated to death in this thread, compared to all other entertainment media it's just so weird that game companies get all worked up when figures are out there. it's not like it's your or anyone's fault a game didn't sell as planned.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you ever gotten any kind of "cease and desist"?

as repeated to death in this thread, compared to all other entertainment media it's just so weird that game companies get all worked up when figures are out there. it's not like it's your or anyone's fault a game didn't sell as planned.

No in fact the opposite

I've had people at some of the biggest publishers and developers in the world tell me they like and enjoy it tbh

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not too convinced that the pressure comes from inside the industry. (At least, not in comparison to other forms of media.) Every industry has its lists... and they all focus on the top performers, they all get vague the lower you get and they're all mostly used for PR. I would say that all the trackers, NPD included, maintain they're authority by pressuring secrecy and limiting information.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it numerous times on here, on twitter, but I definitely appreciate what Benji offers. It gives us a lot more to discuss between the long periods where we don't have official npd data, and provides more context when we do have official npd data.

I've also noticed some of the trolls and wish they would just stop. It's why we can't have nice things and why we normally have insiders stop sharing info.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Switch massively up YoY

Zero. None
None ever apologize for being annoying lil shits. They harass & harass, but once they are proven wrong they go back to their hole & wait for the next opportunity.

I went a bit insane last yr when people started to get harassed over the Grinch Smash Bros. leak. People, myself included, would say the leak wasn't real for reasons we couldn't discuss but did say the Grinch roster didn't match with information we had. People harassed, attacked, threatened, and were downright shitty. Did they return to apologize for their behaviour? Nope. They want information, then hate the information, harass folks, vanish, and then return to demand more information. It's a toxic cycle & one that pushes people away from sharing information/projections or even expectations.

It's a shame because there are those that truly appreciate the information or guidance, but it is tough to separate the negativity from the positive. As many have said before, it's a thankless job. The information is either not enough or it was slightly inaccurate & that leads to trolls.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None ever apologize for being annoying lil shits. They harass & harass, but once they are proven wrong they go back to their hole & wait for the next opportunity. I went a bit insane last yr when people started to get harassed over the Grinch Smash Bros. leak. People, myself included, would say the leak wasn't real for reasons we couldn't discuss but did say the Grinch roster didn't match with information we had. People harassed, attacked, threatened, and were downright shitty. Did they return to apologize for their behaviour? Nope. They want information, then hate the information, harass folks, vanish, and then return to demand more information. It's a toxic cycle & one that pushes people away from sharing information/projections or even expectations.

Retire bitch.

Just kidding lol. Just forget them. The vocal minority of the internet sucks. Most appreciate you. I know I do. Being able to see what other leakers have definitely helps confirm what I've got. I am sure you feel the same.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None ever apologize for being annoying lil shits. They harass & harass, but once they are proven wrong they go back to their hole & wait for the next opportunity.

I went a bit insane last yr when people started to get harassed over the Grinch Smash Bros. leak. People, myself included, would say the leak wasn't real for reasons we couldn't discuss but did say the Grinch roster didn't match with information we had. People harassed, attacked, threatened, and were downright shitty. Did they return to apologize for their behaviour? Nope. They want information, then hate the information, harass folks, vanish, and then return to demand more information. It's a toxic cycle & one that pushes people away from sharing information/projections or even expectations.

It's a shame because there are those that truly appreciate the information or guidance, but it is tough to separate the negativity from the positive. As many have said before, it's a thankless job. The information is either not enough or it was slightly inaccurate & that leads to trolls.

All of this

And what I do isnt even messed up on any level. I'm not leaking NPD or publishers data. I only share info I have direct access to myself and do it to provide context

If I was doing this for cheap attention or because I wasnt passionate about it I could leak tons of things about this industry that would grab much bigger headlines for myself. There are people reading this post that know it. But that's not what this is or what I'm about

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Retire bitch.

Just kidding lol. Just forget them. The vocal minority of the internet sucks. Most appreciate you. I know I do. Being able to see what other leakers have definitely helps confirm what I've got. I am sure you feel the same.
LOL

I retire! I won't take this abuse any longer!

Chatting with people that hear things is always a delight. It's nice to discuss stuff without fear.

All of this

And what I do isnt even messed up on any level. I'm not leaking NPD or publishers data. I only share info I have direct access to myself and do it to provide context

If Inwas doing this for cheap attention or because I wasnt passionate about it I could leak tons of things about this industry that would grab much bigger headlines for myself. There are people reading this post that know it. But that's not what this is or what I'm about

A lot of people think we (insiders/leakers) do it for attention. The thought of us loving the community or loving the discussion aspect of it all never crosses their mind. Some also fail to recognize that the security of others is more important than all of this. Knowing something doesn't mean it gets shared.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

Retire bitch.

All of this

If I was doing this for cheap attention or because I wasnt passionate about it I could leak tons of things about this industry that would grab much bigger headlines for myself. There are people reading this post that know it. But that's not what this is or what I'm about
SpmtDqd.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL

I retire! I won't take this abuse any longer!

Chatting with people that hear things is always a delight. It's nice to discuss stuff without fear.

A lot of people think we (insiders/leakers) do it for attention. The thought of us loving the community or loving the discussion aspect of it all never crosses their mind. Some also fail to recognize that the security of others is more important than all of this. Knowing something doesn't mean it gets shared.

Yup. NateDrake not sure if I've ever told you this but you are awesome and I appreciate talking to you for real

NPD thread tonight has gotten crazy lol