• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Can't believe people are actually buying Mario Deluxe lol, thought a lot of people were burned out of that series. Seems like not.

Uhmm, you know Mario is the longest ongoing gaming franchise that won't stop anytime soon. Nintendo keeps reinventing Mario in more fun ways than before. Plus its a Nintendo's mascot?? Chances of Nintendo not making a Mario game ever are the same chances of it going 3rd party.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Wow, congrats Nintendo. Sony and Nintendo are just killing it.

Great leadership teams yield great results.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Third party games sold on the Wii too, and the publishers still blew it off. Just look at Capcom's endless barrage of "test" games - they kept beating their own expectations until they finally failed with (I think) Dead Rising, allowing them to justify writing off the system.

Fortunately I don't think the third-party situation is nearly as bad as it was for the Wii circa like, 2008, though I think that's also alleviated somewhat by Nintendo being better about keeping a steady stream of games (there's a bit of a lull right now but good lord, nothing will ever compare to the six-month gap between Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing: City Folk, especially since neither of those interested me much at the time. I didn't buy any new Wii games between Smash in Feb 08 and Tales of Symphonia DOTNW in November).
I believe it was RE darkside chronicles. The events played out exactly as 3rd parties used to abandon the Wii.
Capcom releases the "test" game RE4 and that sold over a million which shocked capcom. We then said "full on new RE game pls" and they responded with RE umbrella chronicles, a lightgun game, a okay game but def not what we exactly wanted. But we brought it anyways thinking capcom would get the point. They instead put out dark side chronicles. The game flopped and that was the perfect excuse for capcom to write the wii off as cant sell 3rd party games except in Japan where they sold monster Hunter.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can you expand on that? Since this is $60 like the original and neither was bundled, dollar sales or units should make no difference.

Whilst the games cost the same amount, the actual ASP for each title is slightly different at retail. In other words, it's not exactly $60.

So using $60 as the ASP will give you a number in the right area, but not the actual number.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Huh, and websites said single player games were dying and we should embrace the focus on multiplayer games. And what do you know, a good single player campaign based game is in some of the top sales listing. Really makes ya think don't it?

ZiT

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so on a weekly basis, the PS4's drop isn't bad at all.

Xbox on the other hand... I guess the X Factor has fully worn off now.
It's the same situation as S launch all over again, where it'll sell it to their already existing install base for few months. And when they're pretty much done upgrading, it'll start declining. Their mediocre 1st party outputs along with betting the wrong horses on 3rd party marketing deals won't help them either.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe entered the January charts as the third best-selling game of the month. Launch month dollar sales of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe were more than 30 percent higher than that of New Super Mario Bros. U, which launched on the Wii U in November 2012.

A 6.5-year old port released in January (at full price) sells more than the Wii U launch title at Christmas. That just is crazy to me. I mean, I know the Switch is hot and the Wii U bombed, but Wii U's failure wasn't cemented until after its first holiday.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Great for Kingdom Hearts. Also, really, really glad to see Ace Combat 7 doing well.
Just saw ToV at 12. I'm sure it didn't sell a huge amount and it's not top 10 but for a remaster niche JRPG b
They shipped 500k, which is pretty awesome for a Tales remaster (hell, it's comparable to some of the mainline sales).

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if KH3 and RE2 will make the top 10 at the end of the year as well.
Well we can start counting now: CoD, Madden, 2K, FIFA, GTAV, New game from DICE, The Division 2, Pokemon, another big game from Nintendo, SE big game for 3rd quarter, Red Dead 2, one more big Ubisoft game....

not likely I'd say.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So.... Super Mario 3d world next? I imagine they wouldn't want to Port 2 Mario's in one year tho... So what does that leave? We're starting to run low on worthwhile Wii u ports.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wow, the Switch is truly the Wii sales all over again, except ever kdy and there dog is buying it. Now to sustain momentum. The Switch will slowly become the JRPG machine successor to the Vita. I honestly wish Switch 2 was arounf the corner as I'm sure if the SoC were beefier they might get some current gen 3rd party games like Red Dead, etc

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So.... Super Mario 3d world next? I imagine they wouldn't want to Port 2 Mario's in one year tho... So what does that leave? We're starting to run low on worthwhile Wii u ports.

Depends on how you define worthwhile really. For quality purposes we still have Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but strictly for high sales I'd say only 3D World is left yeah.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
That would be a great January 2020 title and then on a March direct you announce an Odyssey sequel with a holiday 2020 release.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That would be a great January 2020 title and then on a March direct you announce an Odyssey sequel with a holiday 2020 release.
Just judging from how the last few years went, I imagine we'll get at least two more this year tho.

We're down to...

Pikmin 3, Tokyo mirage sessions, Kirby... Xenoblade chonicles x...

Is that it? Everything else has a sequel in the works or a new game in the series. Or is like star Fox and would require significant overhauls to make it work for switch.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
A 6.5-year old port released in January (at full price) sells more than the Wii U launch title at Christmas. That just is crazy to me. I mean, I know the Switch is hot and the Wii U bombed, but Wii U's failure wasn't cemented until after its first holiday.
To be fair they just released one on the far more popular and affordable 3DS and nobody but the most hardcore fans knew what the Wii U was

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know why I'm here.

b96072a2a6a73af7c3058799d5b99b9dc271a0cc_hq.gif

Top 20 best selling titles (January 2019) - Includes Physical and Digital sales
  1. Kingdom Hearts III
Top 10 PS4 titles (January 2019)
  1. Kingdom Hearts III

All according to the tensai's keikaku. All hail....​

Tensaiya Nomura

44416.jpg

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
That's a really unfortunate drop for XB1. Even with Microsoft doing great things on the services front, it looks like they can't do much to win back consumers this generation. PS4's hold, on the other hand, is excellent. With a thinner release schedule than last year, it probably won't maintain such soft drops, but that's expected for being so late in its life cycle. Switch is going to have a ridiculous year, especially in the second half. RIP to the jabronis still convinced as recently as a few months ago that 2018 would be its peak year.

At this point, it's hard to imagine a scenario where both PS4 and Switch don't both easily clear 100m. While Gen 7 had two systems to hit that number (Wii and DS), this will be the first time two home consoles have done it. Of course that won't stop the doom articles as PS4/XB1 approach their end-of-life.

Software seems about what everyone expected, with the two AAA multiplats on top and Nintendo's new game rounding out the top 3.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to what others have said with Xeno X, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions & Pikmin 3, I'd say Paper Mario Colour Splash would be another one they could pull out if they needed to.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's the same situation as S launch all over again, where it'll sell it to their already existing install base for few months. And when they're pretty much done upgrading, it'll start declining. Their mediocre 1st party outputs along with betting the wrong horses on 3rd party marketing deals won't help them either.

They have some serious soul searching to do for sure. But I expect Microsoft to have learned a lot this gen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You know, the top 10 individuals of the PS4 can have top 1 as 10000 units and the top 10 individuals of Xbone can have top 1 as 1000 units.

I'm basically saying comparing two completely different charts is pretty moot.

Especially in that post comparing Spider-Man and Sea of Thieves, SM at #7, SoT at #6....where Spider Man made it to #18 on the total charts. SoT didnt chart.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

It does say something about how unattractive the Wii U really was to people.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to what others have said with Xeno X, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions & Pikmin 3, I'd say Paper Mario Colour Splash would be another one they could pull out if they needed to.

They also have the Zelda games, though I doubt they would want to release it near Zelda Link's Awakening Remake.

Hopefully the Wii U ports selling good opens Nintendo's eyes to potentially porting games from consoles as well. I'd love to have some key Remasters from 3DS, Wii, and GameCube. They could continue to help fill gaps and since more time has passed they should also do pretty well.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Whilst the games cost the same amount, the actual ASP for each title is slightly different at retail. In other words, it's not exactly $60.

So using $60 as the ASP will give you a number in the right area, but not the actual number.

That's interesting. Could you speak on that a bit? Is it correlated by the greater strength of online retail today?

Just anecdotally, it has become much easier to take advantage of minute price differences these days - most prominently, Amazon will often adjust pricing to match other retailers before the buyer even starts looking and I am certain others have similar protocols. In the case of pre-orders, they'll match and lock any price that becomes available on the site under the MSRP in the period between executing the pre-order and the actual delivery, so that would also have the same effect of bringing the spend down.

So ASP, even at launch, has gone down. Or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people were asserting that Nintendo games were no longer desirable and it wasn't just the bad hardware.
Took awhile, but it's nice that they were proven wrong.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Nintendo I am so proud of you.

Xbox & PS4 (more so Xbox?) need permanent price drop to fend off any future massive drops YOY.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Sea Of Thieves at #7 on Xbox. almost 1 year after release.

All is well in the world. #bless

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo I am so proud of you.

Xbox & PS4 (more so Xbox?) need permanent price drop to fend off any future massive drops YOY.
They all need price drops, I feel.
Switch is the longest any modern console has gone without a price drop. While it's still doing pretty damn well, going into year 3 the system could blow up in popularity if they tried.

PS4 and Xbox are due for a cut as well, just not sure when