• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, Persona 5 being #3 and not even hitting on the Nintendo Top 10 is something. I mean, it's not that weird I guess with how wonky they treat the series with its spinoffs and stuff, but makes me doubt they'll do more Persona 5 related stuff for Switch when/if they do more spin-offs.

With separate lists like this it's hard to make these assumptions, Switch top 10 list is really hard to enter, #10 is a million seller worldwide almost every quarter for instance. Clearly it sold better on PS which was always going to be the case I think, In Japan 2:1 ratio in favor for the PS4 version, if it was the same in the US - it probably wouldnt hit the top 10 on Switch, but still selling well.

Example:

Minecraft PS4 verison is #6 on Sony and #17 overall. With Strikers being #3 on both overall and on PS4, one could safely assume that Switch still did a significant help to have it stay high on the list without hitting the top 10 Switch list.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Why? 3DS struggled too and was a pretty big step back compared to the DS. Compare sold units Wii+DS and Wii U+3DS. 3DS had pretty incredible legs, though, I'll give it that, and I wouldn't call it a failure like the Wii U was.
It struggled and still managed to sell 75m copies - only the PS4 was able to sell more last decade/gen with a perfect lifecycle and full 3rd Party support.
It was obv. that Nintendo would always have a strong market if they didnt fuck things up and focused on a single plattform.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not anywhere near me. While some gym chains have modified for social distancing, I would say a majority of gym patrons are probably working out at home for the last year.

I'm speaking across the country, as a whole. I'm sure there are a few states where restrictions are tighter but the majority of chain gyms (Planet Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Orangetheory, etc) have been open for months.

Yeah, the performance of the game on the eShop since launch suggests that it has a pretty substantial digital share, especially as it seems like it's a bit hard to find physical copies of the game at retail. It's certainly not unreasonable to think that if BD1 shipped more physical copies overall that it would still wind up losing out to BD2 with how much digital has taken over, especially since there's nothing like a CE to push this time around.

Jun 10, 2018
It struggled and still managed to sell 75m copies - only the PS4 was able to sell more last decade/gen with a perfect lifecycle and full 3rd Party support.
It was obv. that Nintendo would always have a strong market if they didnt fuck things up and focused on a single plattform.
Yep. The analysis of the Switch even to this day is colored by home console oriented gamer bias, specifically Nintendo's historical market performance in the home console space.

We still have people shocked to learn the GBA *wasn't* a regression from the GB/GBC and instead was a massive success from Day 1 and easily would've sold more of not for its shortened life-span.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well we'll find out if BD2 makes it to the Switch's next month's physical chart, although with the competition from Nintendo's own heavyweight evergreen titles maybe it'll be a bit hard to chart. Doesn't necessarily mean it sells bad I suppose.

Well we'll find out if BD2 makes it to the Switch's next month's physical chart, although with the competition from Nintendo's own heavyweight evergreen titles maybe it'll be a bit hard to chart. Doesn't necessarily mean it sells bad I suppose.
Not to mention that a certain third party title will assuredly be number 1 on Switch for March, and a rather good shot at being number 1 overall.

Jan 20, 2019
I would like to thank Mat Piscatella for the following answers, his presence here is sorely missed:

Switch forecast

Xbox Series performance

ASP current trend

I can imagine that gaming is go down significant around the summer, possible time that most countrys will open for peopel to leave their homes(cant wait for the doom threads lol) so yah, understand their is a lot of unkonws at this point.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Persona being in the top three in its debut month is insane. Definitely can't say it's a niche series anymore. Hopefully the popularity of Persona rubs off on SMT when Nocturne and V comes out later this year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Damn... Matt made a bunch of concerned comments about BD2 and P5S Switch look quite funny.

Appreciate his comments and thanks for posting the tweets here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nice to see P5S Switch version is doing well, too!

People need to keep in mind that Switch's Nintendo games are selling bonkers, failing to hit those numbers does not mean a failure for smaller titles like BD2 and P5S. MHR should most definitely chart high of course.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see P5S Switch version is doing well, too!

People need to keep in mind that Switch's Nintendo games are selling bonkers, failing to hit those numbers does not mean a failure for smaller titles like BD2 and P5S. MHR should most definitely chart high of course.

That's especially the case when Feb was also a massive month for hardware, meaning those mainstream evergreens are going to be even higher than normal.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Mat's comments make me think digital was the majority of sales for P5S. Someone should ask him for LN2 splits.

Good news on BD2 though.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Great to see Persona 5 Strikers. But nowhere on Nintendo's chart. But bummed about that. Might make Atlus more hesitant to put future titles on it other than SMTV.

Dec 21, 2020
Mat also commented on Persona Switch sales:

From what I gather from these, BD2 is an unknown quantity right now but he projects that it will do better than BD1. Best to look at it from next month data.

And Persona 5S did well (physically) but it is difficult to say how good it did overall since it isn't tallied the same for all the platforms, ie one gave partial data the others gave full data for him to add to his numbers. Still though, with that said I'm surprised that Persona even got a "did good" comment for a game that is a sequel to a game that is on a different platform and the target platform seemed to do well regardless.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars in February. Unit and dollar sales of Nintendo Switch hardware in February were the highest for any hardware platform in a February month since the Nintendo Wii in Feburary 2009.

Unbelievable.

And people think they're going to drop the price any day now? lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The time period isn't one year though, it's by the end of March. They don't share data on a title if it doesn't sell 1M within a single FY.

I always assumed it was rolling. I guess Nintendo normally sucks for Q4 releases in general but what they do launch never has any issues shipping 1m.

The BD twitter account will still likely tweet when it crosses 1m.