• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bow down peasants

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm legit surprised (and kinda sad) that smash bros beat it
Smash Bros. is a phenomenon in the US, one should not be surprised that it retains the best-selling launch month (especially when ACNH launched only towards the end of the month).

Covid makes it really hard to brag about sales
Plenty of publishers see it differently, though. Just recently we have had Bethesda, Square Enix and Capcom reporting sales milestones.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
I fully expect Nintendo to protect the Animal Crossing brand from this day forward. They are going to make sure that they grow the brand to the point where we will see Animal Crossing become one of the major icons of the company.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect Nintendo to protect the Animal Crossing brand from this day forward. They are going to make sure that they grow the brand to the point where we will see Animal Crossing become one of the major icons of the company.

It's a little late for that...

I mean the game is probably gonna wind up being the second or third best selling game on the console, AC has definitely hit the big time.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Whoever decided to delay the game to March is getting a pay raise for sure, lol.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros. is a phenomenon in the US, one should not be surprised that it retains the best-selling launch month (especially when ACNH launched only towards the end of the month).

Plenty of publishers see it differently, though. Just recently we have had Bethesda, Square Enix and Capcom reporting sales milestones.
Can you link me to square's thread?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Given the health crisis circumstances around its launch, wouldn't be surprised if the digital numbers for this game are extraordinarily large.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
They should rename March to Nintendo. It's their month now.

Also ACNH was the first Nintendo Switch First party title I purchased digitally (using a voucher). Makes too much sense to always have it ready.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
and it deserves everything!!!! animal crossing new horizons is an absolute stellar game and the sizeable updates themselves just blow my mind. so much care was put into this game. it's one of the only thing that makes me smile these days. thank goodness it came out when it did, it's been a source of comfort for many.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really, really curious how big the digital numbers are for it. Most people I know, including myself, bought it digitally!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's insane. But literally all my friends who own a Switch bought the damn thing so it's not super surprising lol

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Funny thing back to all those arguments about how AC wasn't that big of a franchise. Crazy to think this is a non holiday month, AC is going to sell bonkers these holidays as well.

Surely some 3rd parties must be looking at this and wondering how they can cash in. The switch is going to easily pass 100 million units of HW and 3rd parties are just missing all of that.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably outsell every Halo game. Probably this year actually.

Biggest selling Halo game is on about 11m. I wouldn't be remotely shocked if this is already thereabouts.

Surely some 3rd parties must be looking at this and wondering how they can cash in. The switch is going to easily pass 100 million units of HW and 3rd parties are just missing all of that.

3rd parties are doing ok on switch I think. And indies are doing phenomenally well. It's EA that are missing out really and, let's be honest, that's a good thing.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Congrats to Nintendo. Such a big bounce back even years in after the debacle that was the WiiU.

Nook making them bells.

giphy.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank you and also why do I get the feeling she's also the one that increased the female demographics on Animal Crossing with her input. She has created a goldmine and AAA franchise with this series.
"Having worked on this team where there were almost equal numbers of men and women made me realize that [diversity] can open you up to hearing a greater variety of ideas and sharing a greater diversity of ideas,"
"In my years at Nintendo, I have come to discover that when there are women in a variety of roles on the project, you get a wider [range] of ideas," said Kyogoku. Not only was the team half women, but Kyogoku and Eguchi encouraged everyone to contribute ideas, regardless of their role.
www.wired.com

Nintendo's New Key to Creativity: More Women

"When I first started, it wasn't uncommon to be the only woman on the entire team," said Animal Crossing director Aya Kyogoku.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest selling Halo game is on about 11m. I wouldn't be remotely shocked if this is already thereabouts.

I have no idea how reliable this is but this site told me the original Halo has sold ~20M units:

vgsales.fandom.com

Halo

Halo is a shooter franchise for Microsoft's Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Windows (PC). Halo 4's development costs of over $100 million, made it one of the most expensive games ever made. As of March 1st, 2021 Microsoft has sold over 81 million Halo games since its 2001...

Which is what I was basing that off of. Yeah, ACNH has probably surpassed 12M by now but definitely not 20M.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
They really should do this. Clothing, toys, bags, etc. The next big thing since Pokemon.

Also, just so everyone is aware: this game did so well because of the badass character, Curly the pig, whose biceps have biceps.