• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Merkel wasn't up for reelection but her party CDU was. Merkel herself had pretty much no power within her party the past few months.

But this isn't only due to the CDU. The winning coalition is now ultimately the one that's phases out the "national epidemic situation" and strips the states of some of their lockdown powers by introducing a new weaker law this week.
But so the simple manner is: everyone can blame Merkel. "We wouldn't have done it, but Merkel already did. And we can only fix it when we have a government. That sucks. Oh well, what are you going to do?"

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1330 new PCR cases (1071383 total)
+7 deaths (25442 total)

Total fully vaccinated 6232970
Rate of transmission is 1.23
811 people in hospitals
166 in ICU
76 on ventilators

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now down to just an annoying cough and some slight nasal congestion. No more headaches (today anyway).

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out my wife's grandparents both have Covid. They're both vaccinated but don't know if they got boosters yet. They live out in the middle of nowhere so if they didn't get one yet I wouldn't be surprised as it took them a bit to get an appointment for their initial shots. Her grandpa is being transferred to a hospital in an metro area but lungs already look bad they said

Feel terrible as we've had to postpone visits the past few months as our kids keep getting sick (not Covid) and didn't want to bring any of that to them.

Edit: no boosters, they were waiting for the county health department to do shots in their town. Definitely get those boosters especially for the elderly. They were vaccinated beginning of March

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now down to just an annoying cough and some slight nasal congestion. No more headaches (today anyway).

my "major" symptoms were gone in 3 days, then just lost smell and had lingering sinus issues and fatigue for about 2 weeks.

major - bad sinus pain. Bad hip pain (most of it was centered in my hip joints and a little of my back). Fever… so nothing really bad anyway.

Johnny956 sorry to hear about your grandparents. Seems like Delta wreaks havoc on older people, even with vaccines. Hopefully they pull through

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still struggling a month later. Haven't been able to exercise (gone from 6 or 7 days a week to none) and I'm getting pretty regular headaches to go with fatigue and most annoyingly, smelling stale smoke all the time.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
my "major" symptoms were gone in 3 days, then just lost smell and had lingering sinus issues and fatigue for about 2 weeks.

major - bad sinus pain. Bad hip pain (most of it was centered in my hip joints and a little of my back). Fever… so nothing really bad anyway.

Johnny956 sorry to hear about your grandparents. Seems like Delta wreaks havoc on older people, even with vaccines. Hopefully they pull through

Yeah I'll be heading into day 4 tomorrow of having my symptoms. Felt pretty good today but now I'm feeling more congestion/runny nose. Unless that's it finally breaking up. The severity of the cough has been unchanged since yesterday at least.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
insidemedicine.bulletin.com

Jeremy Faust

Jeremy Faust. 31,443 likes · 14 talking about this. An emergency room doctor with a serious passion for breaking down medical news and research so that everyone understands what's really going on and...
country to right wing crap covid is dangerous for people 25 to 44 to. was no 2 umong that age group for death.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Now 20% test positivity rate in Germany. Also we reached 100.000 deaths today.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

Now 20% test positivity rate in Germany. Also we reached 100.000 deaths today.

If what virologist Drosten said is even remotely coming true, the country is easily looking at another 100.000 deaths before it can go into a true "endemic" state. I agree with him, since pretty much most places in the world that do NOT now have huge surges like Germany have actually already gone through catastrophic situations with a lot more mortality per capita than Germany has.
So yes, it will be either mandatory vaccination for everyone, a LOT more dead people to get more natural immunity that way, or a combination of the above 2 to get it all to calm down.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
How do you identify the American tourists these days in a holiday resort? They're the ones not wearing masks where everybody should according to the local law.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
I had prolonged face to face (within a foot) exposure at work yesterday with a patient. I'm triple vaxxed and had a face shield and surgical mask on but still nervous about it due to the holidays and a trip I have planned next weekend.

Nov 7, 2017
I had prolonged face to face (within a foot) exposure at work yesterday with a patient. I'm triple vaxxed and had a face shield and surgical mask on but still nervous about it due to the holidays and a trip I have planned next weekend.
Get tested before. The risk of contracting covid with PPE and vaccine protection is pretty low but better to be safe

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Got my booster today but I completely forgot that you shouldn't take ibuprofen. I took some about 3-4 hours beforehand and also yesterday as well. Honestly I've been taking it here and there over the last couple weeks, feel like such a moron.

I've heard that this may matter less with the booster shot since your body already knows what it is. I just hope my NSAID usage hasn't negated the effects of the booster to a significant degree. Does anyone know this matters as much with a booster? And how close are they to finding out, definitively, how big of a deal this is?

Last edited:

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Get tested before. The risk of contracting covid with PPE and vaccine protection is pretty low but better to be safe
Yeah work is testing me tomorrow but I feel it may be too soon. I work inpatient psych and we didn't find out he was positive until today. Patient was seizing so there were a lot of droplets being expelled. I would have taken more precautions if I knew yesterday but it's too late to worry about that now.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yeah work is testing me tomorrow but I feel it may be too soon. I work inpatient psych and we didn't find out he was positive until today. Patient was seizing so there were a lot of droplets being expelled. I would have taken more precautions if I knew yesterday but it's too late to worry about that now.

Face shield works against big droplets, but the surgical mask is the weak link vs aerosols here. If you often have this kind of prolonged contact with people, i'd suggest an N95/FFP2 mask.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

thanks, looks like he's doing alright after morning update. Just on nasal oxygen in a standard room so far. They're starting him on the normal treatments but doctor pretty much said without vaccines he would be dead or on a vent already. He's 85 with copd and heart issues so even with the reduced protection it's been lifesaving so far

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1953 new PCR cases (1073295 total)
+30 deaths (25472 total)

841 people in hospitals
182 in ICU
74 on ventilators

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
For Germany Era (blog post is in German)

Unbelievable

Horrible but i completely believe it. Unfortunately this kind of stuff is falling on deaf ears.
Hell, if people can't even be convinced to get vaccinated and respect measures for their OWN damn safety, how do you expect them to do it for the desperate plea for help that comes from OTHERS like nurses or other people they are infecting? That is just not how it works. Gotta find other incentives or straight up force people to do the right thing (vaccine mandate).

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

Vaccines work to prevent Covid-19 related deaths in the general population. Too bad that the demographic you NEED to show this to so they can get vaccinated, is the same demographic that probably would not understand this graph in the first place :(

Also: What's with the outlier there? SK (Slovakia i assume?) A country with only 54% vaccinated has as many deaths as Belgium with 87% vaccinated? What's the explanation for that?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Most of the Belgian deaths happened before the vaccines. Slovakia might not have a good registration but it's also not a country that's traveled through a lot.

edit: wait I missed that it says 14 day period. That's not very long. This was probably taken right before their big rise, which started later than the other countries, or their death registration is lagging.

ourworldindata.org

Slovakia: Coronavirus Pandemic Country Profile

Slovakia: What has been the impact of the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19)?

Last edited:

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
In Belgium 1.59% of the entire population got infected in the last 2 weeks alone. That's just insane. How does that compare to other countries?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Vaccines work to prevent Covid-19 related deaths in the general population. Too bad that the demographic you NEED to show this to so they can get vaccinated, is the same demographic that probably would not understand this graph in the first place :(

Also: What's with the outlier there? SK (Slovakia i assume?) A country with only 54% vaccinated has as many deaths as Belgium with 87% vaccinated? What's the explanation for that?

Slovakia, yes.
A lot of people got infected in the last wave in the spring, so maybe that's why even a lot of unvaccinated people might still have some immunity, but also there's a delay in reporting and the current wave is just picking up speed, so those might not be very relevant numbers atm.
(sauce: I live in the region)

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Getting my Moderna booster from Costco in a few hours. Took J&J back in April. Curious if anyone else here has had the same combo? If so what was your experience like in terms of side effects?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
www.detroitnews.com

Michigan hospitals sound alarm over near-record COVID-19 hospitalizations

Conditions have resulted in long wait times, patients being placed in hallways or conference rooms, and diverting patients away from the hospital.

The last week was the highest amount of new cases in Michigan over the entire pandemic.

"Over the previous seven days including Friday, Michigan reported 53,575 new COVID-19 cases, the highest weekly caseload since the pandemic began in March 2020."

Gotta love it when I'm driving to Michigan for Thanksgiving tonight, lol. I'm triple vaxxed, I feel fine about it, but I'll definitely be wearing my mask if I have to go into any stores. My main Thanksgiving will have everyone vaxxed and all but one person will already have their booster too. My wife's family who we'll be stopping in to see briefly are all vaxxed except for her dad/step-mom who may not be there. I'll be masking for that one if they're there...

A couple of them want us to go out to dinner with them Friday night, think I'll be making an excuse to skip that one.

Nov 7, 2017
So glad to be living in SF Bay Area where a lot of people are fully vaxxed, a lot of people are getting boosters, a lot of people masked, and vaccine verifications do dine and drink indoors.
I doubt we will have a big winter surge 🙏

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my Moderna booster from Costco in a few hours. Took J&J back in April. Curious if anyone else here has had the same combo? If so what was your experience like in terms of side effects?
Yes, I had the April J&J, caught Covid in October and got the Moderna booster a week ago. Some light body aches the day after and that was it.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Is everybody sticking with the same shot for their booster or are you mixing it up?

My wife and I got our appointment at Walgreens for early next week and Walgreens policy is that you have to get the same shot (Moderna for us). I wouldn't have swapped to Pfizer either way since I had some pretty mild at best side effects from Moderna both times though.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I personally haven't, but a friend did. He was pretty sick for a day with the JJ shot, but said his Moderna booster was mostly just a sore arm.

Of course all of this is different for everyone.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1953 new PCR cases (1073295 total)
+30 deaths (25472 total)

841 people in hospitals
182 in ICU
74 on ventilators

Wonder if this is the one I'm counted in lol

Still have the same symptoms from Sunday but getting better every day.

I can't really smell today but I think that's my sinuses and overall congestion since I can feel my right ear is kinda clogged. I have taste but it's diluted, also probably because of the congestion.

Supposed to be out of this by Monday or Tuesday, hopefully the symptoms start disappearing by the weekend.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn... Truly out of control... I wonder just HOW long they want to wait until they go for the general lockdown...
Will probably be the first thing the new government is forced to enact when they officially go into office in two weeks...

Hospitals in the eastern and southern parts are already strained and have to move patients around today. I don't know how they should be able to handle all the hospitalisations that will arrive from the current >50.000 daily cases in a few weeks.
Case numbers also barely resemble the real situation at this point with a test positivity rate of 20% and health departments working at (and over) their limits.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got boosted yesterday. Some arm pain today but no fatigue or all around achiness like I had the days after the initial 2 shots.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this is the one I'm counted in lol

Still have the same symptoms from Sunday but getting better every day.

I can't really smell today but I think that's my sinuses and overall congestion since I can feel my right ear is kinda clogged. I have taste but it's diluted, also probably because of the congestion.

Supposed to be out of this by Monday or Tuesday, hopefully the symptoms start disappearing by the weekend.
Good luck, hope it ends soon.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1826 new PCR cases (1075059 total)
+ deaths (254784 total)

Total fully vaccinated 6161675
860 people in hospitals
174 in ICU
77 on ventilators

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love it when I'm driving to Michigan for Thanksgiving tonight, lol. I'm triple vaxxed, I feel fine about it, but I'll definitely be wearing my mask if I have to go into any stores. My main Thanksgiving will have everyone vaxxed and all but one person will already have their booster too. My wife's family who we'll be stopping in to see briefly are all vaxxed except for her dad/step-mom who may not be there. I'll be masking for that one if they're there...

A couple of them want us to go out to dinner with them Friday night, think I'll be making an excuse to skip that one.

Michigan resident here. Pretty much every store I went into this week has had very low masking numbers. I had mine on of course but I'd say about 15% of people had their masks on in the Meijer and Wal-mart. Stupid.