• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
AMAZON.jpg

fuck....

Yup. Newsweek editor reporting that as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Do people have any good follows on twitter for covid information locally (Seattle area) or nationally/internationally? I have cdc, Trevor Bradford, Looking of making a twitter list.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I have a friend who is a microbiologist that I trust. He made a facebook opinion post and gave me the okay to share it, excluding his name and information of course.

The CDC is doing a great job on providing information to the public - don't listen to politicians, elected or in the running; don't listen to the news, at least without checking in with official information.

See https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/…/opsdashboa…/index.html… for real time confirmed numbers and https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html for general information.

Now, on to the current information.

1) Do not panic. Public health experts at the CDC have been saying for a while that it was not "if" but "when" we would see an increase in numbers in the US. Current genomic analysis suggests that the virus has been in the US and spreading for at least 5 or 6 weeks. There are plenty of cases there were likely mild and didn't get diagnosed. Now that there are more tests available, there will be more diagnoses simply because we are looking more.

2) Don't be dismissive. There is legitimate concern regarding this virus. Should you be scared? No. Should you pretend it isn't happening and ignore it? No.

3) Wash your hands.

4) Don't hoard medical stuff. It's not going to help you, costs money, and it hinders the people who actually need those things from getting them. Grab a few cans of soup, some saltines, some pedialyte or hydrating liquids, maybe an extra bottle of your preferred anti-inflammatory/fever reducer just so you don't have to go to the store if you do get sick. If you get a fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath - call your doctor's office.

5) Wash your hands.

6) Feel ill? Stay home. Don't go out and do stuff. This is just general good advice for all time. No one else wants your germs, however benign or nasty they are. Seriously. Also, wash your hands.

7) Wash your hands.

8 ) Of all the cases, currently around 52% have recovered and ~3.4% have died. The death rate has largely remained the same, while recoveries have increased. The numbers will change a bit, but the odds are still in your favor.

9) Practice good hygiene - cover your cough/sneeze, wash your hands, disinfect surfaces in your home you touch often, wash your hands, if you can't wash use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol), but really wash your hands. Flu and SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) spread mainly by contact with droplets from people coughing/sneezing or by touching contaminated surfaces.

10) Wash your hands.

11) This is exactly why science matters. Even if it doesn't necessarily make sense to YOU, the most basic research lays the foundation for more advanced research and developments. Some of the most incredible technologies we have were identified while doing basic research on seemingly innocuous topics. Things like COVID-19 are exactly why you can't cut out science and funding and then expect to mount a real response. Research and application of said research take time. Infections don't wait.

12) Wash your damn hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm going to post the information, this person is a well regarded, verified former congressional nominee and a key figure in the east side community with key business connections:

She has 12-13 posts about where she feels we are currently at and what we should do

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm going to post the information, this person is a well regarded, verified former congressional nominee and a key figure in the east side community with key business connections:

She has 12-13 posts about where she feels we are currently at and what we should do

I feel like her posts about the hospital is just scaring people since she isn't exactly an expert on medicine. Like did she see this in person, word of mouth or did a hospital staff tell her?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I feel like her posts about the hospital is just scaring people since she isn't exactly an expert on medicine. Like did she see this in person, word of mouth or did a hospital staff tell her?

She's reachable on social media and will
Answer questions. My assumption is she knows staff/administrators there, which makes sense due her previous positions.

She answered a question I had about her number of potential cases.

DocTarHeel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd trust the rational, level headed advice from actual medical professionals over the fear mongering tweets of a former politician/businessperson, for what it's worth.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017

Good luck to anyone who thinks the SBA could make a loan decision within a semi reasonable amount of time.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Not that I don't believe this but still she should be citing where she's getting this info from, throwing out big numbers like this (3-4x larger than what the Fred Hutch analysis shows) isn't helpful without providing a direct source.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Not that I don't believe this but still she should be citing where she's getting this info from, throwing out big numbers like this (3-4x larger than what the Fred Hutch analysis shows) isn't helpful without providing a direct source.

Yeah I get the frustration but saying they're on course for 100k+ deaths/week by May is pretty bad.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
She tweeted yesterday that we are on track for 100K deaths per week by May 1st. That seems...really extreme to me. I'm skeptical.
that's 2 months away

with no action, and hospitals being overloaded... i'd say there's a chance it happens. what was a huge problem for china was the complete inability to treat most people. imagine that everywhere.

there's a reason why a lot of us keep trying to say it's important to act quickly and decisively. China got around it by shutting everything down hard. They lost a couple thousand people even though they shut everything down 1 month after outbreak. imagine 2 months into a huge outbreak how it will look if nobody is doing anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Please report it if you feel it's not appropriate, I asked mods twice to PM so I could share the link. I made a decision based on this person's credentials and found them legitimate and shared the public information.

I don't feel I should get a ban for this, however.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Please report it if you feel it's not appropriate, I asked mods twice to PM so I could share the link. I made a decision based on this person's credentials and found them legitimate and shared the public information.

I don't feel you deserve one either. Like her other points are fine and make sense. Like giving financial assistance or waiving medical feels for Covid related bills. But any medical shit she says seems like nonsense and it's straight up spreading FUD.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who works in the Brasil Amazon building. We hung out on Saturday.

This is going to be bad.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

There are three parts of this post. The first one is some scary "fact" that, if true should be quickly collaborate by other people. Second part is really napkin math, cases does not grow at constant rate. When there are 1000 cases I bet half the city would idle which slows down transmission - of course this will bring other issues unless the government quickly step in. The third part is some suggestions that make sense.

So until there are more people confirming #1, I think she is just trying to sell her own idea using some misleading math.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's not a serious analysis and I think I'm gonna look for predictions and insights elsewhere.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

You really shouldn't. I don't entirely believe her, but she WAS a main election candidate for US Congress and her views should be considered legitimately newsworthy.

RPanda

Feb 21, 2018
watching america do nothing is really weird lol.We had one case here in Saudi Arabia and our government is surprisingly doing alot of stuff to try to prevent an outbreak.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I just arrived in the US at LAX and saw the LA County advisement. I have a slight cough (wet), a bit of a sore throat, and a blocked inner ear, but I'm worried it will be mis-interpreted when I fly back to Canada tomorrow night.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
America's absolutely fucked this up. Theres no denying it for me. Lack of early testing and restricting qualifications on who can get tested are just indefensible

elty

Oct 31, 2017
User banned (3 days): fearmongering, ignoring staff post
How real is this? Do they really transport a positive patient with minimal protective gear?

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well someone at work has corona virus so now I'm shit scared. I think they're going to close the office down tomorrow.