• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How does 184k -> 226k after fees become "over a quarter million"? The number is high enough, that just seems like poor math and lazy editing.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Seems to me like that cash would go a lot further raising his child, but hey, maybe this is nothing money to him?

1) Logic has plenty of money to raise his child, regardless of how much he spends on Pokemon cards
2) This is an investment, the card will only increase in value over time
3) Logic wants to stay relevant in headlines within gaming spaces, he wants to kick off his twitch channel and whatnot, so perhaps things like this purchase fit into that strategy

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
What's up with "celebs" and Pokemon cards, all of the sudden?
Just this week, one of the Paul brothers was trending cuz he was opening a 200k € box of Pokémon cards, on stream, or something like that.

EDIT: Here:

Guess streamers/youtubers found their flavour of the month.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Dying at all the people claiming to have this card lol.

The probability somebody unknowingly storing away a gem mint PSA 10 1st Edition zard is pretty much zero.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Charizard when I was a kid. It was in the first booster pack I ever bought. But lost all my Pokemon cards when I moved.

...I really hope it wasn't a "shadowless" like this. I assume not, but I'll never know now.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I sold one of my Charizard cards last year and only got about £70 for it. To be fair it wasn't a first edition shadowless one but still... It was picked right out a booster pack so in mint condition.

The booster pack I got off eBay for £6 in 2011 so made £64 profit lol. I still have another mint Charizard but I wouldn't sell it cause it's part of the full Base Set collection which I'm sure must be worth a decent amount of money. It would need to be silly money to make me consider selling the card itself or collection.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Just this week, one of the Paul brothers was trending cuz he was opening a 200k box of pokemon cards, on stream, or something like that.

So he's the one that bought that box. I was watching that auction (not for the Pokemon cards, but for some comics) and was astounded that this box went for that price.
For the record, this was from a Heritage Auction that was going on around the beginning of September.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I had a Charizard when I was a kid. It was in the first booster pack I ever bought. But lost all my Pokemon cards when I moved.

...I really hope it wasn't a "shadowless" like this. I assume not, but I'll never know now.
I remember the first booster pack I ever got. It had a Charizard in it. I traded it in school for a Raichu. I kicked myself for years.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
My gateway to Pokemon was the cards, I think I had nearly a thousand lying in a box back home before I ran away. Seeing stuff like this makes me wish I took them with me.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Just this week, one of the Paul brothers was trending cuz he was opening a 200k € box of Pokémon cards, on stream, or something like that.

This guy just pulled that charizard in a box opening on twitch today or yesterday. He is fully investing into Pokémon cards as a business.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell you can still find fresh boxes of first edition Pokemon cards from the late 90s?

Nov 27, 2017
California
I have a shadowless 1st edition wartortle that if I grade it can go for $150+
I sold the original 150 card set (minus charizard) for $150
card game is insane now

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I still have a binder full of base set holos I've kept for ages (including Charizard). They're still all in amazing condition too. I'm considering getting them graded, just nervous about the shipping process to be honest.

Sadly none are shadowless or 1st editions, but still seemingly worth quite a lot anyway.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
None of you had a shadowless first edition. They weren't printed very long and quickly replaced with the shadowed ones we all had. Plus even the people that had them. 99% ended up trashed or in the garbage. Of the ones left, finding a mint one is winning the lotto

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
None of you had a shadowless first edition. They weren't printed very long and quickly replaced with the shadowed ones we all had. Plus even the people that had them. 99% ended up trashed or in the garbage. Of the ones left, finding a mint one is winning the lotto

I do :P sure as hell ain't mint though (has a thin scratch across the description and scuffs from being in a deck.)

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
When I was a kid, I had TWO 1st edition Charizard's in perfect condition, but since I was a kid and I was Pokemon crazed, I traded one of them for a japanese edition of Pokemon Gold on the Gameboy Color, and the other one I traded for a couple hundred dollars a few years later to buy a Japanese Ps2.

Yes, I'm a moron.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
With more rich people buying this up, it's not going good to us that like to buy these things to collect (let alone make a deck to play).

After the VMAX rainbow Zard thing which is STILL impossible to find, they announced a shiny version of it in an upcoming set >_>

Scalpers + people with spare change to invest/make Youtube viddos from, are killing up to us trying to play it fair and not buy like 50 boxes :/

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I had no idea that Logic was a streamer now? I've only ever really heard him from his collab with Em on Homicide. Still trying to fast rap that Em verse.

On the Pokemon side, I need to go through my card collection and see what I have. I never sold the cards I bought as a kid and I know I have a holo Charizard.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Except Logic is actually a decent and talented rapper. Never understood why people have so much stigma for him, guess it's the popular thing to do nowadays.

Logic is part of that group of semi-conscious rappers that goofs like to hold up as superior to everyone else because of subject matter. People get tired of hearing that, so they trash him. It also doesn't help that he's cringe as fuck and likes to bring up his biracial background a bunch. Released a song called AfricAryaN, which is...not how that works.

He's "fine". Not bad, not great. If you enjoy him feel free, just don't go calling him the greatest ever.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I think its much easier to be anti-suicide if you are rich...
Weird take. We have numerous example of rich people that have committed suicide, and even if you're rich but not suicidal, it's not like advocating for mental health while wealthy makes you a bad person.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
200k for that?

Pkmn fans are weird.
I'm a hockey card collector so I'm not surprised by this. Super rare variant + popular character + attractive card + extremely rare because of its 10 rating is a great recipe for a card to be very expensive. A Connor McDavid rookie patch auto numbered 97 out of 99 (97 is his jersey number which essentially makes this card a 1 of 1) sold for $125k USD recently. I think there was a Zion (NBA) 1 of 1 rookie that sold for $1.8M recently as well. That being said keep in mind there were likely only a handful of collectors in the world who would consider buying that card for that price, likely filthy rich folks.

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Logic is part of that group of semi-conscious rappers that goofs like to hold up as superior to everyone else because of subject matter. People get tired of hearing that, so they trash him. It also doesn't help that he's cringe as fuck and likes to bring up his biracial background a bunch. Released a song called AfricAryaN, which is...not how that works.

He's "fine". Not bad, not great. If you enjoy him feel free, just don't go calling him the greatest ever.

That's bull and I don't hold him as being the greatest ever. I've seen the vitriol thrown at him within my own black community that don't view him as black or try to detract his rapping skills, hence Logic constantly bringing it up his race in his songs. His latest albums weren't that good compared to his mixtapes and the under pressure album, but I've seen people constantly throwing shade at him as if he personally hurt them or something.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017

All first editions were shadowless. There was the first editions, then a run of unlimited shadowless cards, then the much more common unlimited cards with the shadow.

Chromax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think a sealed booster box went for $200k last month. I regret not cleaning out my local Toys r Us back then.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

my guess is that there was one good video out there and the sheep followed, they just bought pokemon card and made a video about selling them

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fuuuuuck I need to find my old Pokemon cards. I'm pretty sure I have a charizard somewhere. It'd be fucking hilarious if a Pokemon card changed my life.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is a perfect example.

"Logic's not that bad"

"I disagree, don't go calling him the greatest ever!"

Hating on him is so en vogue.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very confused by the title to be honest, even with the context provided in the thread

cool for him i guess