• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really digging the new style so far (although it still seems well made) but I was satisfied with playing the remaster last year so I can't complain much.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
If you just wanted an updated ff7 OG, then check out PC.

Check out what you can get on there.

VUuLACzkxdkpY73AzJUK2QhlKi26N82zSX-nGg6ps6k.jpg
So they brought the game from 1997 to 1999, did they? Insane.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I must say that, as a fan of the original, the only part in which nostalgia predisposes me badly is the fact that it told a complete story. Remake suffers the risk of being seen as a padded prologue...in my eyes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So they brought the game from 1997 to 1999, did they? Insane.
It's a fallacy to shut off negative opinions. Other fallacy is "it's a remake, not everything has to be the same", and "Just play the original" no one saying it has to be exactly the same... but they can still have specific criticism of how they think it does or does not complement the source material.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so let's say a scene is really good, won't you think? e.g."they really nailed that scene", "Cloud's voice actor really captures him"

It feels like ok when it's postive to not seperate them.

So I don't think they can truly be separate unless you've not played the original. I think it just varies on what parts you value the most or simply opinions. Both good and bad.
Well, I simply don't have sky-high expectations for them to get it "exactly right." It just needs to evoke the original world and be fun and engaging. They already demonstrated that in the demo for me. Of course they are linked, and the game should capture the essence of the original. But the idea is that my nostalgia is not going to kill my enjoyment of the remake. It will ultimately stand on its own two legs as a new game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on how it turns out. The demo thread was negative for a day or so, but has since turned pretty positive as more people got to play it. And of course there's nothing wrong with critical discourse.

If Square really puts out a beefy enough game that keeps the same level of quality of that demo, I think it's gonna be a pretty positive discussion.
There's a difference between critical discourse and complete negativity. I agree there is nothing wrong with critical discourse but like in a bunch of ffxv threads it was complete negativity and shouting down at anyone enjoying it or even saying anything positive.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I simply don't have sky-high expectations for them to get it "exactly right." It just needs to evoke the original world and be fun and engaging. They already demonstrated that in the demo for me. Of course they are linked, and the game should capture the essence of the original. But the idea is that my nostalgia is not going to kill my enjoyment of the remake. It will ultimately stand on its own two legs as a new game.
It feels like a double standard to me if people can make positive comparisons to the original, they don't bat an eyelid, but the opposite... "play the original" or "not everything has to be the same (no one says it has to) , it's a remake"

It just sounds like it would be more about getting people to agree on your side and be in like a hype bubble. I guess it's more sincere to be cool with people who are disappointed, rather than laying out a double standard... where you can only put out comparison that they would accept.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
It is disappointing but after playing the demo I had the harrowing realization that this remake was not made for me. I can appreciate the effort that went into this, but I dont like the change in the genre, progression, padding and the focus on Hollywood-esque, over the top action. The world is very detailed but I see little resemblance with the original maps (a more classic camera and a turn-based combat would've probably helped).

In the end it didnt feel like Final Fantasy VII, so I will stick to the original and graphic mods.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
100% the other way.. my nostalgia gets increased because I see so many things from the original game in such a great definition.. for me it's a dream come true

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the original several times and loved the demo. However the "WARNING, can't go there"-pop ups when trying to go to direction you were not supposed to were a huge turnoff. Not game changing but very annoying. Don't create a pathway to somewhere if you are not meant to go there yet. Again, not game changing, because I am buying the game day 1.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So no different from the re remakes or the metroid remakes. The original is always there to play too.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm backlashing so hard right now.
I guess there was a backlash to KH 3 and I loved that game, but cool, I wouldn't tell that they should just play KH2 if they make comparisons and that shouldn't expect it to exactly the same (which is totally a fallacy) That's what they would have preferred, fair enough. Their money, their standards.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. While I have fond memories of the original (I've played a few times through since it released), it didn't change the fact that the remake demo was pretty much everything I was hoping it would be. It represents a change the series (and perhaps action JRPGs in general) needs right now, although I really don't like that it's broken up and the wait between installments will likely be long ones.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Not for me. While I have fond memories of the original (I've played a few times through since it released), it didn't change the fact that the remake demo was pretty much everything I was hoping it would be. It represents a change the series (and perhaps action JRPGs in general) needs right now, although I really don't like that it's broken up and the wait between installments will likely be long ones.
I agree that the potential for JRPGs to jump from turn-based to action is there, but I felt that VIIR's combat is extremely clunky and hitting certain enemies feels like you're slapping them with a paper fan at times.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
The nostalgia is enhancing it for me. I want it to be different. For me, the remake is me playing what was in my imagination while playing the original.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's killed my enjoyment is the instalments way they're releasing it.

The graphics are ace, I like the little touches of Material appearing on the weapons, the voice acting isn't as bad as the trailer made it out to be, but I really hate the combat, it's just mash buttons to attack until you can do other commands. The scorpion boss battle is just mash mash mash, spell, mash mash mash.

But I really cannot get away from the fact this is a small part of the game and we have:

A) no idea when it will be a complete game
B) no idea how other parts of the game world be like (golden saucer, open world free roaming) the high wind etc.
C) no idea of how many chunks it's split into

I guess I need to wait to see how the whole project plays out and if they carry on with this much detail across the whole game and what content gets cut/reimagined.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the potential for JRPGs to jump from turn-based to action is there, but I felt that VIIR's combat is extremely clunky and hitting certain enemies feels like you're slapping them with a paper fan at times.
Spamming square to build up the ATB meter admittedly felt like busy work to me. I wonder if just leaving it on classic and having the AI do that allows you to focus on more strategic choices and powerful skills/spells? I'll have to mess with it more.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discussions about how many parts this remake will be make that crystal clear. People really think other locations could or even should get as much attention as Midgar.

I'm only asking all of the core story beats and locations from the original return. Not even as the same 1:1 thing. If you actually look at how the bombing run was done in the OG game and then the remake, you can see they actually tried to recreate it room by room with more modern takes as you got closer to the boss. If that approach is applied to all of the critical locations, I'm good.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Spamming square to build up the ATB meter admittedly felt like busy work to me. I wonder if just leaving it on classic and having the AI do that allows you to focus on more strategic choices and powerful skills/spells? I'll have to mess with it more.
Yeah, that's what has me concerned for the full game. The larger the battle, the more restless I became with the combat. The Guard Scorpion fight in particular had me feeling "ok is this over yet?" for the Square spamming to Abilities repeatedly. I was crushing that boss with magic and attacks and it's health bar is just far too big to repeat that combat for that period of time. I did like the new style of combat for small mobs though, especially the ones of soldiers + dogs.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'm glad it's not 1:1. This is a remake and it's clearly labeled as such. If i wanted the original id just go play that for the 5,000th time. I'm happy that we are getting a new game I can enjoy in this world, but it's so familiar it makes me cry tears of joy.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
As much as Square Enix is selling this game on the nostalgia factor, if people don't go into this game being open to it as a reimagining and not a 1:1 remake they're gonna have a bad time. The music isn't dark industrial synth working with a lack of sfx against the moody backdrop of pre-rendered backgrounds, there will be voiced cutscenes everywhere that may clash with pre-existing perspectives of dialogue delivery, new events will take place between what we know happens, and some events from the original may even be completely changed. I'm expecting reception to be mostly positive, but there's inevitably gonna be backlash from a rather large segment of VII purists.

I hated the original when it came out... Its still my 2nd least favorite FF game right behind FF13, so I actually welcome this remake. Maybe SE was finally able to turn it into a worthy game in the FF series...

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Oh, FFVII Remake will surpass the original in terms of popularity and profit, eventually. That is just a fact. All it had to do is not be total trash. The graphics and QoL simply blow the original away and has more ease of play.

Plot-wise and narrative-wise it really doesn't matter. It's a bit like comparing the OG King Kong to the Jackson remake. Sure, the original may be objectively (or subjectively) better and have a more finely tuned narrative with less holes, but newer generations are still going to more likely give the Jackson version the time of day.

The only real hitch is definitely it's piece-meal nature. If we are real lucky we might see the whole game on PS5, but most likely it will never truly stand up to the original until then.

Even when they all drop, the generational gap will be noticeable and despite being a cohesive whole, would be seen more as separate games. As such, unlike the OG FFVII, this new games will be treated more like of a trilogy of separate FF games in the same universe.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people who all that I wanted was the original game with updated graphics/script. Not even high fidelity, just not chunky angle people. I know that was never going to happen and I don't come in complaining about it, but I'm still disappointed with the gameplay changes, I'm dying for a good, grand scale, turn based rpg.

Baldur's Gate 3 says hi.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I loved FF7 on the PS1, it truly was an experience, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this demo. I'm pretty excited to play the remake now. The only concern I have is something that we won't know until the next installment, and that's the open world. I would love for it to be like how it was in the original, but I'm preparing myself for a large change to it. We'll see how it all pans out, but I think this first one will be pretty special on it's own.
So for me the nostalgia of the original is having zero effect on the remake (as of now).

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love every change so far, but I know what you mean. Some people are going to have meltdowns.

They just need to remember the original will always be there.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
i'm not so sure it's simply a matter of nostalgia. do i enjoy the original version of the section of the game presented in the demo more than the demo version? yes, i do. as someone who's replayed the game several times, i enjoy it much more...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing most of the general public who pick the game up on a whim will only have vague memories of the original to begin with, and I figure it'll check all the boxes (until they leave Midgar and that's it, who knows what the consensus will be there)

My personal mantra for remakes is "why bother remaking it if it's gonna be exactly the same outside of the visuals". So far I've been onboard with every change, and if it disappoints in some regards, I always have the original to go back to.

Oct 27, 2017
The nostalgia is enhancing it for me. I want it to be different. For me, the remake is me playing what was in my imagination while playing the original.
You imagined a game that ended right when what was essentially the prologue ended? Because that's what is killing this for me.
---------------

I can overlook the changes to the messy battle system. I can get over the piecemeal dlc plans for individual summons and locking content behind freaking candy. What I can't get over is that we are getting a 40 hour prologue that won't receive a proper follow up for what, 3 years if we are being generous?

I don't need 40+ hours of padding in Midgar. That part of the game already ran long in tooth in the original and getting out was part of what made Midgar great "like omg I can't believe there is this giant world outside of this place". They have destroyed that moment by chopping this remake in to parts. Maybe we will get the quests that make up for the fact that this game is bloated but I doubt it.

The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk later this year both put FF7 and Square's ridiculous ambitions to shame. You can do a big open world FF7 justice without spreading it over 4-5 parts. Just like action feels shoehorned in for the sake of action, my guess is Midgar will be too big for it's own good.

The new stuff they add will be filler and I expect the hype protecting this game right now will come crashing down when the reality gets here and it turns out that yeah, Square is just milking this thing. You didn't need an 40 hours prologue to do an FF7 remake justice. It's absurdly overblown and it didn't have to be.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
This forum is absolutely remarkable for the vein of negativity that surrounds titles like this in the few weeks preceding its release after months and years of positivity and hype-building, with mundane threads like this. Ignore even the fact that certain features or systems have been known about for years by this point, these threads try to both point out something like it's new and never before seen or heard, and turn it into something unfavourable.

I rarely even look at threads like this one (apart from laughing at the titles like the "Han shot first" one), but couldn't help post this time. Jesus Christ. No wonder the gaming community is looked down upon even by the people making content for it.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Some people just don't like change, as in: they hate it.
Nothing to be done about it, even if FF VII-R turns out as the best game ever on Metacritics. *shrug*

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I experienced the game back in the day. Don't think it would hold up for me now, and maybe I'd think it's shit after playing the PS4 remake.

So I will skip the whole thing instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Square Enix should implement two optionals for battle system, so we can choose for our own preference.

Just a small 'food for thought' from me.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I haven't played the demo and don't really intend to (my plan is to wait for the game to release and drop in price to $20 before picking it up), and I don't really have much hype for this game. The Final Fantasy VII remake does not seem like a game that's made for me, as I'm not impressed by the gameplay changes I've heard (the FFIV-IX ATB is my favourite Final Fantasy battle system ever, so the semi-real time version here looks like a major downgrade to me). My biggest concern is with how much the story is going to be padded out, as the original game takes me about 23-25 hours to go through and its narrative is not really that long; personally, I think the story's pace is going to get killed by the multi-part remake's numerous additions. As it is, the Midgar section of the original Final Fantasy VII takes me 4-5 hours to finish, and I'm baffled by how that section is supposed to be a 25+ hour game in the first installment of the remake.

On the positive side, it's going to be hard for this game to disappoint me, as my expectations are extremely low. Of course, Final Fantasy XV managed to be so much worse than my incredibly low expectations for it, so I don't have much confidence in Square, currently.

As for the refrain that "the original game will still be there": yeah, I know, but I view the remake as pointless if it can't be better, and I'll criticize it if I think it's worse, especially if all the releases are filled with bloat to extend this project to milk the game to a ridiculous and obvious extent.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I don't care about them changing the mechanics or the level design, but I do care about them changing the story and scenario. The terrorism retcon is completely unnecessary and makes me worried about the rest of the game. Music isn't the end of the world, but I understand the disappointment.

RE1 Remake will always be the gold standard to me. It managed to add so much without taking anything away from the original.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with this. Resident Evil remakes have been well received despite it's changes. I don't think many would ever expect a 1-1 remake, especially since the combat basically puts the game in a different genre. The old game is still widely available to play if someone really wanted to.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
This forum is absolutely remarkable for the vein of negativity that surrounds titles like this in the few weeks preceding its release after months and years of positivity and hype-building, with mundane threads like this. Ignore even the fact that certain features or systems have been known about for years by this point, these threads try to both point out something like it's new and never before seen or heard, and turn it into something unfavourable.

I rarely even look at threads like this one (apart from laughing at the titles like the "Han shot first" one), but couldn't help post this time. Jesus Christ. No wonder the gaming community is looked down upon even by the people making content for it.
It's especially funny because the complaint about the music not being the same and the "Han shot first" thing were both things people on this forum posted the SAME DAY we got previews for later in the game that have music in a super similar style to the original and go in deeper on the terrorism plot point.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
You imagined a game that ended right when what was essentially the prologue ended? Because that's what is killing this for me.
---------------

I can overlook the changes to the messy battle system. I can get over the piecemeal dlc plans for individual summons and locking content behind freaking candy. What I can't get over is that we are getting a 40 hour prologue that won't receive a proper follow up for what, 3 years if we are being generous?

I don't need 40+ hours of padding in Midgar. That part of the game already ran long in tooth in the original and getting out was part of what made Midgar great "like omg I can't believe there is this giant world outside of this place". They have destroyed that moment by chopping this remake in to parts. Maybe we will get the quests that make up for the fact that this game is bloated but I doubt it.

The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk later this year both put FF7 and Square's ridiculous ambitions to shame. You can do a big open world FF7 justice without spreading it over 4-5 parts. Just like action feels shoehorned in for the sake of action, my guess is Midgar will be too big for it's own good.

The new stuff they add will be filler and I expect the hype protecting this game right now will come crashing down when the reality gets here and it turns out that yeah, Square is just milking this thing. You didn't need an 40 hours prologue to do an FF7 remake justice. It's absurdly overblown and it didn't have to be.

Seems like you really wanted to get some stuff off your chest so I'm not gonna hit you with a point by point response. But no, my imagination wasn't thinking about a part 1 game etc etc. I'm talking about my imagination picturing what the cutscenes would look like if they were real. What chopping up a robotic scorpion would look like, because you wouldn't be standing in a line waiting for your turn. That kind of thing.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I played the Tobal demo many times when I was a kid and I have a similar feeling when replaying this demo. I'm grounded enough to know that my memories, expectations and nostalgia have no bearing on how this game should be remade. Like, being there day 1 doesn't make me or others like myself the gatekeepers for what the vision of the remake should be like. Square could've done anything they wanted or nothing at all, not bothering with a remake but so far it looks pretty fucking good to me, imo. I've had absolutely no faith in Square or the FF franchise for over a decade now and it's astounding how much respect and care they're putting into this. And as other people said, the original still exists in many forms and there's even the impressive remako mod for the PC version.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I am really worried about this. I darent play the demo. Should I play it? Ugh what if it ruins it for me

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
The remake likely isn't for me. Even if I'm going to buy it. The voiced dialogue really throws me off a lot. Especially Barret. I just want to mask X and skip it.