• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Sticking in a slightly bigger OLED screen and calling it a day is doing precisely that.

In this case, this seems more like a move to keep the expected MSRP from falling, while keeping sales high, without increasing the cost of manufacturing. I wouldn't be surprised if this new OLED model phases out the Mariko model.

I'm curious as to how this impacts the likelyhood of a Switch successor arriving next year? If the OLED model sales keep pace with current sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wouldn't release a new Switch until late 2023.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
3 years after the 3DS launch we got the New 3DS, with an insanely faster CPU, double the RAM, higher clocked GPU, redesigned gamepad with new C-stick and shoulder buttons, microSD card slot, and NFC. All for the same price as the 3DS.

4 years after the Switch launch and we get a "New" Switch with an OLED display, LAN port, and redesigned stand, with the exact same internal hardware and gamepad/Joy-Con design as the old Switch. And it costs $50 more.

It just shows you the difference between a Nintendo that was pushing to sell more consoles, and a Nintendo that is taking it's foot off the gas and riding the big green money wave.

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
Nope, you are worng. It's easier to not release a new model at all when you are supply constrained.
/s?
How are they wrong? They said reusing internals is easier more efficient than creating a whole new set of internals, especially during a shortage, not that the act of releasing a second model makes things easier. Also it's worth noting a lot of if not all of the new parts on the OLED aren't experiencing shortages right now like chips are.

Clarification on previous staff post

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Because it's become a distraction, we want to address the earlier staff post about insiders; the concern was that certain callouts were feeding a frenzy beyond the site and could lead to harassment. There weren't a lot of staff available when it was made, and the wording of the post was too broad. Nobody was banned following the post and the intention wasn't to say that "insiders" should be beyond criticism, so this was a mistake in communication. This was done with good intentions but was not handled by staff who usually deal with "insider posting" and wasn't consistent with our usual approach.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Bahahahaha, this thread is a fucking rollercoaster. Everyone thinking certain game announcements and reveals like Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, and Resident Evil: Outrage were being held back to show off with the Switch Pro. LMAO.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro came out 3 years after the initial PS4 launch and had a sizable GPU increase while being $400 while the PS4 Slim was down to $300. Switch has been out for over 4 years now, will be 4 and a half years when the OLED Edition actually launches, and fuck all has been upgraded on the GPU, CPU, or RAM side of things.

To hell with 4K DLSS, the fact we can't get capable hardware for running these Switch games at native 1080p docked and 720p handheld with some good anti aliasing implementation is a fucking joke for a later half 2021 hardware release, especially when they want $50 more than what the Switch launched at back in March of 2017.
It's all understandable. However, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about these things. And 5 year old 59.99 games still fly off the shelves. I mean... it's impressive really.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
We'll probably never be getting the Switch Pro now, there's no sense in releasing it this late.

OLED Switch is a sign of things to come with the inevitable Switch 2 in the not-so-distant future.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This is the story of Nintendo:
- 60 dollar price tags for 5 year old games
- Notoriously shitty online experience
- Aggressive copyright takedowns that alienate their own fanbase
- No playable zelda in mainstream zelda games

Ppl still be buying their shit.
In my experience, those things only really affect (some) of the enthusiast crowd. I'd say the majority owners of the Switch are more casual and don't seem to care much about any of that stuff at all.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The only important question right now is: Is the joycon drift issue finally fixed? If not, then no interest on this new model.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
It's a hybrid. You can argue that it's a "handheld" because it's possible to use it portably, but it's literally filling the position of their traditional 'home' console for the generation. And when it comes to their history with home consoles, revisions aren't exactly the norm for them, minus a few exceptions and those were mostly early on (Top loader NES for example).
I's already got more revisions than most of their home consoles. It seems to be following the lead on how they revise they're handheld.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hybrid. You can argue that it's a "handheld" because it's possible to use it portably, but it's literally filling the position of their traditional 'home' console for the generation. And when it comes to their history with home consoles, revisions aren't exactly the norm for them, minus a few exceptions and those were mostly early on (Top loader NES for example).
They're obviously treating it as both, don't be daft. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the Lite and now the OLED. It doesn't matter what you consider it, it matters what Nintendo considers it. The fact that it already got one revision let alone two should dispel your concern.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
He did originally say that, but all of his pre-e3 hype has been heavily skewed towards the "Pro" and how third parties want to show their enhanced games. He was on the mark with his speculation that there may be two models (an oled and a pro) but his pre-E3 hype couldn't have been further from Nintendo's plans.
I think the only insider that actually called this just being OLED was DF and after that some insiders followed up and said it's possible there is a OLED model without spec increase. Don't want to single out anyone... Just clarifying where the OLED news came from first.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
A frustrating thing for me at least, is that aesthetically, it looks really nice. The box, dock, and black/white looks cool and I'm sure the bigger OLED will look great in action. But this all serves no purpose for me as I already own a Switch and it's still in great condition smh.

I personally think the "Pro" or "Switch 2" is real, but seems like Nintendo wants regular Switch to cross 100 million before breaking away.

Trying to provide some optimism: at least the hypothetical "Pro" and/or "Switch 2" are guaranteed to have OLED with little to no bezels, Ethernet, & better kickstand. I'd imagine we wouldn't have gotten some of these features if this announcement was indeed the Pro bc it wouldn't been some trade offs for that level of power for sure.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
Should have just bought it then and enjoyed it. If one gets announced, you could always save or trade it towards it. The existing Switch is great and has a lot of fun games.
I really should have. But I believed in Nintendo putting out a decent upgrade to the Switch and sooner than today. I'll probably pick up the OLED version just to watch BotW chug anyway. At least I'll finally get to play it myself.

MuteMap

Apr 22, 2021
Absolute LOL at all the 4K rumors.

Well, I was hoping for something more, but I might end up getting an upgrade just so I have a spare Switch to give away.
Hoping for an actual Switch Pro eventually.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking sucks.

I just wanted to play XBC remaster in 1080p/60fps

T_T
I share a similar sentiment, but there's no guarantee Nintendo (never mind any of the third parties) will go back and patch already released software to take advantage of new hardware. And it becomes increasingly less likely the longer the duration of time from software release to hardware release is ...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
😅

FqTmMRO.jpg
Needs another ResetEra on the bottom right guy.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg in March:

Nintendo to Use Faster Nvidia Chips in New 2021 Switch Model
Nintendo Co. plans to adopt an upgraded Nvidia Corp. chip with better graphics and processing for a new Switch model planned for the year-end shopping season, according to people familiar with the matter.

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

The U.S. company's new chipset will also bring a better CPU and increased memory. DLSS support will require new code to be added to games, so it'll primarily be used to improve graphics on upcoming titles, said the people, including multiple game developers. Bloomberg News previously reported that the new Switch is likely to include a 7-inch OLED screen from Samsung Display Co. and couple the console's release with a bounty of new games.

Bloomberg in May:

Nintendo has to compete for gamers' attention with a new console generation introduced by rivals Sony Group Corp. and Microsoft Corp. in November. Their PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X machines beef up the visual fidelity, speed and performance of their predecessors, and both have been in extremely limited supply since launch. The Switch maker's response will be to upgrade its flagship console with a 7-inch Samsung Display Co. OLED display and faster Nvidia Corp. graphics silicon making it capable of 4K output when docked to a TV, Bloomberg News previously reported.

Bloomberg today:

Nintendo had been exploring a 4K-capable version of the Switch, Bloomberg reported in March.

Something fucking weird happened here where they got wind of the OLED screen, then definitively stated twice over a period of several months that it would have a new Nvidia chip and also a new CPU and more memory and that plans for a release in the fall were basically set in stone, and now that there's an October release of the OLED model, it morphs into "Nintendo had been exploring" that more powerful model.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I loved my OLED Vita, but swing and a miss with no docked upgrades. Playing certain games is getting pretty unbearable on a 55" TV.

Like it's not QUITE "Wii on a HDTV" levels of blur, but it isn't great

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
I don't get why some people are saying that buying this model is a no-brainer for those who don't already have a Switch.

I'm one of these people, I was looking to buy one and even saving money for it, but this doesn't make any sense. The reasons why I never bought the original model were mainly:
- Really old hardware that doesn't even play its own games very well without dropping resolution and/or framerates to unacceptable numbers and, most importantly
- The joycon drift, which is essentially an extra cost in the long run for anybody who owns a Switch and wants to stay sane while playing their very expensive Nintendo games.

None of that changed, it costs more for basically no reason and if I'm going to play portable then the bigger screen will just make all its faults even worse to look at. I won't buy it for the same reason why I wouldn't buy a Xbox One in the year 2021 to play all the old xbox games that I want to play, if I have the option of going for a much better Series S.

I'll keep waiting for the Switch 2 or whatever, this is a huge waste of my already devalued money.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
it's not only the lack of 4K that sucks, but many Switch games just....do not perform well. XB2 has been mentioned, Age of Calamity is awful, hell even my partners Animal Crossing NH island has a garbage frame rate. Even if a new Switch was never going to get to a 4K output, a little extra horsepower to keep games from 22fps would have been appreciated.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter if Nintendo didn't say it, the switch's hardware is unacceptable in 2021. Hell it was arguably unacceptable in 2017.
I agree with you 100%. I wanted their games to run better. I don't expect 4K and I always thought DLSS was a bit of a stretch. So many people are going out of their way to remind you that Nintendo always does this but New 3DS and DSi were slightly more powerful. I just wanted better framerates.

Seeing all these holier than thou takes on twitter has me back on the side of being disappointed in Nintendo.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God for emulation, this is sure some way of baffling customers who are clearly willing to shell out money for a spec bump.