• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Well it means 2 of them will be Secondary so only that account can use the games purchased.

That's really it. Same as you got now, just an extra Switch.

I'm getting 2 Lites for my kids and would like them to have access to my digital games. So should I set them up with me being the primary account and they being a user? And that will work for more than 1 extra Switch?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting 2 Lites for my kids and would like them to have access to my digital games. So should I set them up with me being the primary account and they being a user? And that will work for more than 1 extra Switch?

Each user Acct may only have one console as a Primary. Only the console set as software purchasers Primary grants offline and guest/secondary acct access to the purchasers software library.

It operates like Xbox One and PlayStation 4, not Steam.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Would get one of these in a heartbeat if it was compatible with a USB-C to HDMI adapter

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well what I would do is leave the OG docked at all times or in the house anyway, lite will be mine for travel so it'd be my primary, we don't need to play together, but maybe trade items, etc.
So if I buy it and have it on my lite (primary) can she play at the same time, sometimes with no issues or if we do want to play together. She has an account on the OG already I made for her, for when she does want to play some games, not often, I know Animal Crossing and Luigis Mansion will be must plays for her.
Yup, on the primary system, she can play your games no problem.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can't get a good feel on whether or not these are going to be sold out everywhere tomorrow or not. I opted to not pre-order because no one was offering to deliver it on release day. Everyone is still taking orders for delivery next week, which leads me to believe there's a lot of stock. Would love to be able to walk into Target tomorrow and be able to pick the color I wanted.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Same. Already have two original switches, but the idea of not having to keep docking/undocking then in order to play is too hard to pass up along with the increased portability of it. Not having to buy the games again due to game share is awesome.
Does gameshare work like PS4?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been rubbing the kickstand on my regular Switch all day to get a feel for the Switch Lite.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
whoa I feel like they've kind of just slipped this past us. Did not even think about the dock, that sucks!

Not only has this been crystal clear since the day of the announcement (even providing comparison charts with DOCK = YES and DOCK = NO fields) but it has been repeated in all of the official communication so far.

You may not have realized it, but they did not "slipped" this past people.

itspants1

Jul 17, 2018
Not only has this been crystal clear since the day of the announcement (even providing comparison charts with DOCK = YES and DOCK = NO fields) but it has been repeated in all of the official communication so far.

Nah, they slipped it past us

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I don't need one of these, but I sort of want to get one tomorrow. And yet, at the same time, I don't love it. All the reviews keep saying it looks great, but I think it looks kind of cheap and almost toy-like. But I still sort of want one haha. I wish they would have gone for a sleeker, more polished aesthetic for this.

itspants1

Jul 17, 2018
Leo-Tyrant you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I am stupid, I thought they meant you can't dock it - as in it doesn't have a port at the bottom for charging.
100% understand you can't play from TV, I thought they meant docked like how I dock my phone to charge at night.

I'm officially old.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

That had to be sarcasm, right?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Leo-Tyrant you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I am stupid, I thought they meant you can't dock it - as in it doesn't have a port at the bottom for charging.
100% understand you can't play from TV, I thought they meant docked like how I dock my phone to charge at night.

I'm officially old.
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, OLD MAN!?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
If the dpad sucks (I'll read impressions after work) then I'll be returning my system unopened. The dpad was the whole fucking point. Thank you, Nintendo.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Going from the Vita dpad to the 2DS's squishy dpad is one of the biggest whiplash effects. It takes ages just to get used to doing diagonals on that thing.

I'd have really hoped this system would have a solid, responsive, clicky one. The dpad is one of the main reasons the Lite is appealing to me.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Xenoblade 2 is the only reason why I'm not interested in buying a Switch Lite.

If I can't run that game properly, then maybe more will come in the future.

Nintendo should address that issue.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is the only reason why I'm not interested in buying a Switch Lite.

If I can't run that game properly, then maybe more will come in the future.

Nintendo should address that issue.

Why can't it run that game properly?

Also, if anything the existence of the switch lite will ensure that all games will be playable on portable.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
EDIT - Since people keep quoting this post, I need to clarify that the text below was written without the knowledge that Nintendo lets you switch your primary console to get around this issue. That is the solution here (which gamexplain failed to mention in their review)

The real bomba hidden in these reviews is that you CANNOT play your transferred digital games offline unless you check in every few hours to Nintendo's DRM servers. Considering the fact that this is an entirely portable console, I'm predicting that we're gonna hear a lot of complaints about this in the coming weeks.

And y'all wonder why there's a very staunch subset of us on this forum who prefer to buy games physically. Utterly inexcusable, Nintendo.
Quoting again just so that people know it only applies to non-primary devices. :p

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It seems likely that the chip that allows for video passthrough is not onboard the Lite. I do wonder if an external method for enabling passthrough in a dock is something that is possible. That would sell like crazy.

Exactly, instead of another switch that's only for docked mode, I can see them selling a beefed up dock with a controller at some point for the lite. Something like a 'lite dock'

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Exactly, instead of another switch that's only for docked mode, I can see them selling a beefed up dock with a controller at some point for the lite. Something like a 'lite dock'

Or just sell a Lite 2 later on that can be docked. That seems much easier than selling a specialized dock with a controller that is going to cost like over a hundred bucks and confuse customers.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not for a hefty price, if you want the TV experience, then Nintendo likely wants their $300. There could also be thermal issues perhaps with the Switch Lite getting too hot in docked mode.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Switch - Switch Lite setup may influence Nintendo on the design of Switch 2/successor, maybe the "base" Switch will become bigger and more powerful to draw more of a difference between itself and a Lite model.