• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

The disc version of the game is the first time Japanese developer PlatinumGames has scored a No.1 in the UK charts. It is the firm's fourth most successful launch, and its second biggest new IP launch since Bayonetta all the way back in January 2010. Platinum's last highest charting game was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in 2013, which reached No.2.

Interesting use of the words 'disc version' there!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread I would have expected Control to outsell Astral Chain even without the extra days it had. Poor result there.

I wonder if they've missed the boat on marketing a bit; I didn't realise Control was out - despite being interested in it when it appeared at E3 last year - until I saw the Digital Foundry breakdown on it, whereas I've been very aware that Astral Chain was imminent since E3.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A game on multiple platforms got outsold by a japanese niche switch game.....!

I feel so bad for Remedy, they just can't catch a break. Even with the Sony marketing machine, there was little interest.

I am hooke don control, Best remedy game in years upon years, Playability wise it's better than Alan Wake for me.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its doing very well in Japan as well, tried to buy a copy from the biggest game retailer in my city and they had sold out of both the limited and regular versions.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm floored that Wreckfest outsold Control with no buzz and virtually no advertising. Absolutely wild.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...mgames-scores-first-uk-no-1-with-astral-chain
The disc version of the game is the first time Japanese developer PlatinumGames has scored a No.1 in the UK charts. It is the firm's fourth most successful launch, and its second biggest new IP launch since Bayonetta all the way back in January 2010. Platinum's last highest charting game was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in 2013, which reached No.2.
awww yea, those nintendo switch discs are the best ...

Oct 27, 2017
"As ever, this chart does not track digital downloads."

What the hell? I thought they were supposed to be doing this at the beginning of the year?!

Oct 25, 2017
A game on multiple platforms got outsold by a japanese niche switch game.....!

I feel so bad for Remedy, they just can't catch a break. Even with the Sony marketing machine, there was little interest.

I am hooke don control, Best remedy game in years upon years, Playability wise it's better than Alan Wake for me.

Well, we need PC (and other digital) sales to know if that's the case. But yeah, it deserves to do really well and UK console sales aren't great unfortunately. At least it's doing well in the US according to Benji.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I've seen zero marketing for any of the new releases in any form besides Man of Medan which has had some TV advertising.

I expected Control to do better but it sounds like Xbox players that enjoy Remedy games didn't turn out for it.

Happy for Platinum though, will probably get around to Astral in a few months time.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see that, it's an incredible game. I hope we will get a true open world sequel one day.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Bayonetta 2 (Switch) < Astral Chain < Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Given the market and the game, that's pretty decent for Astral Chain tbh
Yup. If anything the game has probably already surpassed W101 numbers. I kinda expected it but with new IPs there's always the fear of bombing.

In what form?

I've not seen TV ads, radio ads, youtube ads, billboards or posters on the side of buses for any of the new releases besides Medan.
First of all, marketing isn't advertising.
And all the Nintendo channels (insta, twitter, facebook, youtube) had a lot of AC stuff the last month.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Isn't it, though? Other than the Wii and DS, which are hardly representative of how Nintendo generally does there.
Their handhelds have historically done great.

Home console wise, it's true that the NES and SNES didn't do great here, but it's pretty much just those - the N64, GameCube, and Wii U sales were all mediocre to terrible globally, and the Wii and Switch were/are smash hits.

It's not been true for a long, long time.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved.

The game is amazing. I just finished File 04 and boy is it a fantastic game.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Ouch for Control being a multi-plat game. I heard it did well ?

I wonder if Switch owners still tend to buy phycial rather than digital like other consoles ?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ok if Astral topped UK it will most likely top all other markets too. Impressive.
In the US, Control seems to have done much stronger relative to UK, so Control probably takes the crown there. Contrast this comment from Mat Piscatella with the UK performance:

Mat Piscatella said:
Remedy Entertainment's best-selling Console game in its launch month is currently Max Payne 2, while Quantum Break is the highest ranked on the charts, at #5 in Apr 16. I anticipate Control will break both records. Aug 19 tracking runs through Aug 31st.

How did Control fair compared to Quantum Break? It's a travesty if it sold less.
Down 58.7%

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Excluding UK just because Quantum Break was Xbox One exclusive Control will do way way better in Europe than previous Remedy game.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, Astral Chain didn't seem to have a huge launch shipment in Europe. I had a hard time tracking down a physical copy over the weekend. It's obviously not going to be a massive seller for Nintendo, but I hope it's at least meeting or exceeding their expectations (which I suspect it is).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man of Medan and Wreckfest ahead of Control? Did not expect that.

bit8baracus

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's not going to last long but it's nice to see new deserving IPs and games that don't fall into the sports/MP shooter category filling the top spots of the charts.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Ouch for Control being a multi-plat game. I heard it did well ?

I wonder if Switch owners still tend to buy phycial rather than digital like other consoles ?

Digital is strong on Switch, like 30-50% of sales, especially high for more niche games like this. And the Voucher program seems very successful too, Astral Chain has been in the eShop charts worldwide since weeks.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great job for Astral chain! I'm not really enjoying it but glad to see it sell well.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Same for Astral most likely. Why would UK be a top performing market for it?
You know, I don't have anything conclusive to prove it. Benji says he believes that Control will rank higher, but then again, his predictions are in general way below what Mat predicts (Mat thinks top 4 ranking for Control, Benji believes a low top 10 ranking). In the end, we will have to see. IIRC, Control doesn't report digital sales, so we should be able to compare physical versus physical for the games.

The reason why different things are expected is because in the UK, QB ~ 2.5x Control, while the US expectation is Control > QB. That difference shows that Control underperformed in the UK, despite numbers being quite close between Control and Astral Chain. I expect the relative factor will therefore (due to the underperformance) be larger than for Astral Chain, which would put Control ahead. But in the end, we should wait and see how things shake out. I'd be happy if Astral Chain is above Control, because we already have comments/predictions putting Control at good numbers, and that would mean Astral Chain did very well.