• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

Now he is asking people to stop making videos and articles about him cause it stands to hurt all the good PR he got over the past few days.

Dude deserves this since he let misinformation about this whole thing spread at the start only cause if was good for his brand and company, not that the exact opposite is happening he wants to stop it.

"DON'T RELEASE THE EVIDENCE!!!" is so telling it hurts. Good fucking lord.

One is coming showing more for one:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Now he is asking people to stop making videos and articles about him cause it stands to hurt all the good PR he got over the past few days.

Dude deserves this since he let misinformation about this whole thing spread at the start only cause if was good for his brand and company, not that the exact opposite is happening he wants to stop it.

This is full on narcissism.

"But what about my mental wellbeing?" asks man who sought to profit off the name of a suicide victim.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, people who were so vocal about these controversies largely overestimates their effect to Nintendo. Otherwise they would have made a statement by now. There's really no need to apologize to Nintendo because I don't think they even bother about this (plus the fact that it's old news that just got overblown).

But if we want to have a better forum environment or social media in general, I think people should learn to own up, update and apologize to others when they spread information that is later proven false and antagonizing others just because they think they are on "the wrong side of justice", so to speak.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I wouldn't go that far that people need to apologise to Nintendo. Just that people shouldn't let themselves be played like a fiddle on these things.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah since when do people apologize to companies or corporations. Being more circumspect in the future is a more positive action to take.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Just wanted to point this out since this is what he responded to me before he blocked me.

Something a little fucked about bragging about how successful your business is when you're trying to use the memory of two dead men to promote your brand.

Edit: Guys don't ask for an apology to Nintendo. That's just fucking weird.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thread progress as expected and I knew going back to the first couple pages would feel surreal after more information would be out.

Don't worry though the angry gamer mob isn't gonna learn from this one and jump right into the next similar issue without thinking things through for a second.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Nintendo gets worse every day.
This. NCL calls the shots and they don't give a fuck.
I mean, if it was Microsoft or a more "fan-savvy" company, they'd probably partner to make an official something-or-other, or just let it slide, or what have you.

But it's Nintendo. They've been like this for 20+ years. At some point you have to stop being surprised and blindly hoping they'll do things differently when they've shown no indication of it.
Ah yes, devaluing the trademark by *checks notes* raising money for charity.

No, wait, that can't be right
Saw this earlier. Nintendo is fucking scummy. They've really been showing their ass in the past few months about how little they care about anything other than money. They're obviously a corporation so that makes sense but it's absurd that people will cape for a company that constantly pulls shit like this.
My opinion exactly.
Seriously, fuck off Nintendo.
i genuinely hate Nintendo, shit sucks man. why must they have fun games sometimes because god I hate them besides that fact.
Nintendo continues to be the worst of the big 3

This was a fun ride.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I am so glad I unsubbed from Hungrybox. At first, I thought that his content would be pretty good, but now I can't stand his clickbaity titles or the misinformation on his videos.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you ever wonder how the Trump camp got brainwashed over the last 6 years, this thread feels relevant. People just wanna believe shit

Oct 26, 2017
Thread progress as expected and I knew going back to the first couple pages would feel surreal after more information would be out.

Don't worry though the angry gamer mob isn't gonna learn from this one and jump right into the next similar issue without thinking things through for a second.

Hey if they don't jump into a thread five seconds after it's been created to declare that everyone who supports or defends or disagrees with [thing] is a corporate apologist, who will?!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Or maybe you try to understand what he said.
I understand what he said. People jumped to conclusions based on things that had happened over the past few weeks and were wrong about it, then stopped supporting that person after finding out he was a grifter. You won't find anyone in this thread supporting this asshole anymore. Somehow this is equivalent to being racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. When someone compares someone else to a Trump supporter, they know what examples they're invoking. It isn't subtle.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Did this guy apologize for ANYTHING? I mean even with him completely avoiding any responsiblity for most of his actions because "I'M GIVING MONEY TO CHARITY GUYS SO THAT MEANS IT'S WRONG TO CRITICIZE ME", he should at the very least be able to realize that that Iwata tweet was in super poor taste. Like he's at least tried to make excuses for everything else but I don't see any possible way he could remotely spin that tweet as not being super shitty.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care about Nintendo, but this really hurts though. As someone who was actually really upset about this, it sucks so much that Etika's name was being used like this. Maybe folks here won't understand why some people got so upset with Nintendo, but Joycon Boyz actually means something to a lot of folks. Ugh, I honestly shouldn't be surprised such scummy folks exist.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

*bangs head against the wall*

All the people I've seen replying to that tweet saying Nintendo was in the wrong for stopping piracy.

It truly is this...
1326934140959_1583350.png

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I understand what he said. People jumped to conclusions based on things that had happened over the past few weeks and were wrong about it, then stopped supporting that person after finding out he was a grifter. You won't find anyone in this thread supporting this asshole anymore. Somehow this is equivalent to being racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. When someone compares someone else to a Trump supporter, they know what examples they're invoking. It isn't subtle.

So you don't understand what he meant.

Its bloody obvious with that comparison he meant that people are so quick to jump to conclusions without seeing proof, people gotten so easy to be fooled by fake news and misinformation.

I mean come on, it's so blatantly obvious if you care to think for a little.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017

It's about having a standard for our criticisms being based on actual, legitimate evidence. These kinds of situations show how even us "Woke" people are prone to a mob mentality and confirmation bias. The Melee community shot itself in the foot when they smear a company over illegitimate claims; prominent influencers in the community (Hungrybox, Leffen, Omni, etc.,) use misinformation as fodder for clickbait content which riles up their community to become ripe for abuse by a grifter and completely poisons the well.

I think making a comparison to Trump is apt in the sense that we are so easily misled and manipulated into views which are not based on evidence but instead on emotion. We allow our preconceived ideas of "Evil Nintendo" to make us look like idiots who will believe anything which suits our biases.

Nintendo is not in NEED of defense. But if we want them to actually take us seriously then we gotta show them we're not jokes.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's about having a standard for our criticisms being based on actual, legitimate evidence. These kinds of situations show how even us "Woke" people are prone to a mob mentality and confirmation bias. The Melee community shot itself in the foot when they smear a company over illegitimate claims; prominent influencers in the community (Hungrybox, Leffen, Omni, etc.,) use misinformation as fodder for clickbait content which riles up their community to become ripe for abuse by a grifter and completely poisons the well.

I think making a comparison to Trump is apt in the sense that we are so easily misled and manipulated into views which are not based on evidence but instead on emotion. We allow our preconceived ideas of "Evil Nintendo" to make us look like idiots who will believe anything which suits our biases.

Nintendo is not in NEED of defense. But if we want them to actually take us seriously then we gotta show them we're not jokes.

It isn't really Nintendo. Smash fans already had a bad reputation in the gaming community. For the most part, they were seen as obsessive weirdos with an obsession with a decades old game, rejecting all its sequels along with being toxic to fans of the other games, and didn't bathe. Then the summer happened and now they're linked with pedos. Now with this incidence, they're adding grifters who will take advantage of the dead, suicide, mental illness, and charity just so they can get back at Nintendo. And worst, Etika was a Smash fan, so they're letting one of their own be disrespected in death for something that is in the grand scheme of things is extremely petty.

Even if you believe what Nintendo did to the Smash community wasn't right, why would you feel bad for such a community? It's like the definition of asshole victim.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

*bangs head against the wall*

This tweet is a very big chunk of why I take issue with a lot of the stuff happening in this thread.

Because, fundamentally, people's rage at Nintendo here boils down to them being mad that they're not allowed to pirate video games and use Nintendo's assets for whatever they want without permission.

If you asked me what the worst thing Nintendo did in recent history was, we can point to stuff that everyone in the industry is doing, in which case we can get into the fact that all of our electronics are created via war crimes. Or we can dig into Nintendo specifically, in which case I'd go with them treating Sephazon like a used sanitary wipe.

But no, it's always the piracy. Every time.

. . .*sigh* Not that. . .not that it's good of me to keep talking about this considering what happened the last time I posted in this thread. Especially since I don't know if Pixel is OK or not.

Pixel better be OK. Damn it all, he better be OK.

It's just. My jimmies, man.

All the people I've seen replying to that tweet saying Nintendo was in the wrong for stopping piracy.

It truly is this...
This is it, this is my complaint here.

All of this, the whole time, was just people going "look at this bitch eating crackers." The whole time. And at first I just kinda tried to ignore it, because I mean. . .I didn't really have a full picture of what was going on, and we've done this rodeo so many times at this point that it wasn't really worth talking about. But then folks kept it up even when the subject was just. . .weird. And it first it was pretty much unanimous that I was wrong for thinking that, so I was just sitting there feeling horrible and conflicted. I'm the weird one because I think it's off that somebody took a dead guy's brand and put it on some toys on their shop. That's normal, this is completely normal, right?

That's one of my many. . .many problems. That I have a gut feeling about something, and then I can't articulate it, so I must be wrong, right?

But then the grift just kept grifting. And it turned out apparently I wasn't wrong, my sorry spectrum ass just had more premonition powers than Shulk Xenoblade.

Nintendo doesn't need an apology, of course. You don't need to apologize to the big scary corporation. But not having a freakout every time the legal department of one so much as twitches? That would probably be a good idea. For your own sakes, as much as anything else. Being that upset at the amoral shifts of a megacorp must be absolutely exhausting.

. . .Now if only I could just learn to have some social tact to go with my apparent gift of foresight.

Fricking hell, I hope Pixel is OK.

*sigh*, I dunno. I shouldn't even still be posting in this thread, after what I did. After hurting someone like that. But it's hard when you can't help but care about the opinions of everyone. When you can't help but empathize with every poster, and then just. . .folks do the equivalent of going on a windmill hunt like Don Quixote while a graverobbing is in progress right in front of them. It feels like I'm being jerked around, because logically I think that's completely ridiculous. But then I see how serious everyone is about it, and I can't help but put myself in their shoes. And then it just feels like I'm being torn apart at the seams, between what I am and what I "should be." Even if what I "should be" is utterly nonsensical.

So I complain, because I guess I hope maybe at least someone will get where I'm coming from and agree. And maybe that way, I'll feel just a little bit less pulled apart.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This tweet is a very big chunk of why I take issue with a lot of the stuff happening in this thread.

Because, fundamentally, people's rage at Nintendo here boils down to them being mad that they're not allowed to pirate video games and use Nintendo's assets for whatever they want without permission.

If you asked me what the worst thing Nintendo did in recent history was, we can point to stuff that everyone in the industry is doing, in which case we can get into the fact that all of our electronics are created via war crimes. Or we can dig into Nintendo specifically, in which case I'd go with them treating Sephazon like a used sanitary wipe.

But no, it's always the piracy. Every time.

. . .*sigh* Not that. . .not that it's good of me to keep talking about this considering what happened the last time I posted in this thread. Especially since I don't know if Pixel is OK or not.

Pixel better be OK. Damn it all, he better be OK.

It's just. My jimmies, man.

This is it, this is my complaint here.

All of this, the whole time, was just people going "look at this bitch eating crackers." The whole time. And at first I just kinda tried to ignore it, because I mean. . .I didn't really have a full picture of what was going on, and we've done this rodeo so many times at this point that it wasn't really worth talking about. But then folks kept it up even when the subject was just. . .weird. And it first it was pretty much unanimous that I was wrong for thinking that, so I was just sitting there feeling horrible and conflicted. I'm the weird one because I think it's off that somebody took a dead guy's brand and put it on some toys on their shop. That's normal, this is completely normal, right?

That's one of my many. . .many problems. That I have a gut feeling about something, and then I can't articulate it, so I must be wrong, right?

But then the grift just kept grifting. And it turned out apparently I wasn't wrong, my sorry spectrum ass just had more premonition powers than Shulk Xenoblade.

Nintendo doesn't need an apology, of course. You don't need to apologize to the big scary corporation. But not having a freakout every time the legal department of one so much as twitches? That would probably be a good idea. For your own sakes, as much as anything else. Being that upset at the amoral shifts of a megacorp must be absolutely exhausting.

. . .Now if only I could just learn to have some social tact to go with my apparent gift of foresight.

Fricking hell, I hope Pixel is OK.

*sigh*, I dunno. I shouldn't even still be posting in this thread, after what I did. After hurting someone like that. But it's hard when you can't help but care about the opinions of everyone. When you can't help but empathize with every poster, and then just. . .folks do the equivalent of going on a windmill hunt like Don Quixote while a graverobbing is in progress right in front of them. It feels like I'm being jerked around, because logically I think that's completely ridiculous. But then I see how serious everyone is about it, and I can't help but put myself in their shoes. And then it just feels like I'm being torn apart at the seams, between what I am and what I "should be." Even if what I "should be" is utterly nonsensical.

So I complain, because I guess I hope maybe at least someone will get where I'm coming from and agree. And maybe that way, I'll feel just a little bit less pulled apart.
Who's Sephazon? Googling him he seems to be a Youtuber who's translated some investor meetings? Does he actually have any official affiliation with Nintendo? What happened between them?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

As others have said since, I dont think you got what I said

I will admit that trying to keep my post short since I had just woken up and was typing with one finger while laying in bed may have left my comment more open to creative interpretation than I intended

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Coricus You shouldn't feel guilty, you didn't come in here with the intention of hurting someone.

Speaking of I saw that Omni is now "waiting for the full story" before commenting on the new situation.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think the biggest issue here is that unlike other shit Nintendo has done this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place considering this was only 1 product between multiple that they c&d from him that weren't going to charity, I think absolutely no one that reported the case said that

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

It truly is this...
Yep, that is Nintendo since GAF 3DS/Wii U days. No matter whether a thread is about positive Nintendo news or not, it will always spiral down to a negative, toxic thread.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Have these tweets been posted? They strike me as a notable ones here:

Basically because the guy's relying on manipulative information. The first is showing his interactions with Etika's brother, and it mostly contains Alex's side, so you can see how nice he was in reaching out. It's the same interaction as we've seen posted as apparently coming from Etika's brother, but those images instead emphasize the fact that he only gave old, incomplete charity information. This one shows that too, but it ends with a nice apology for that fact, and we don't see any more comment from Etika's brother than that - it doesn't actually do anything more to show us that Etika's family is okay with this, it tries to make us think it's okay because Alex tried to reach out after being criticized.

The second one is telling us not to listen to other sources, but the Reddit post and this page have been directly linking out findings. A lot of our sources are Alex himself, just not being viewed in the light he wants us to view him.

The second part is also outright telling people to use the Twitter's report feature to silence criticism. Combined with his earlier legal threats against the Reddit poster, it's pretty clear that he's attempting to make some kind of strongarm effort to make his scheme happen through force if he can't do it through playing innocent.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the narrative change around this story. From the moment I saw it it rubbed me the wrong way what with it using charity and Etika's name to deflect from the real issues.

Because, fundamentally, people's rage at Nintendo here boils down to them being mad that they're not allowed to pirate video games
Paints the phrase #FreeMelee in a new light lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
edit: sorry, wrong tab. My laptop touchpad tends to randomly jump to the wrong part of the screen.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have these tweets been posted? They strike me as a notable ones here:

Basically because the guy's relying on manipulative information. The first is showing his interactions with Etika's brother, and it mostly contains Alex's side, so you can see how nice he was in reaching out. It's the same interaction as we've seen posted as apparently coming from Etika's brother, but those images instead emphasize the fact that he only gave old, incomplete charity information. This one shows that too, but it ends with a nice apology for that fact, and we don't see any more comment from Etika's brother than that - it doesn't actually do anything more to show us that Etika's family is okay with this, it tries to make us think it's okay because Alex tried to reach out after being criticized.

The second one is telling us not to listen to other sources, but the Reddit post and this page have been directly linking out findings. A lot of our sources are Alex himself, just not being viewed in the light he wants us to view him.

The second part is also outright telling people to use the Twitter's report feature to silence criticism. Combined with his earlier legal threats against the Reddit poster, it's pretty clear that he's attempting to make some kind of strongarm effort to make his scheme happen through force if he can't do it through playing innocent.

Yup, it's worse when you see his brother's response on Instagram.
Nevermind, I don't know how Instagram stories work apparently, I just checked and it's real.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

It truly is this...
Pretty much, thats the reason why stuff like this is always gonna work because there is a part of the audience that really thrives and loves to go off when information is scarce and not complete - so trust that they are gonna vent for real on the first couple pages and in other threads that dont have anything with the issue at hand - but they wont be here for the resolution.

Its a bit messed up but i learned a while ago that certain threads are just used for people to vent because it would get them banned in other threads or at least they would have to justify their aggressive stance.

Yep, that is Nintendo since GAF 3DS/Wii U days. No matter whether a thread is about positive Nintendo news or not, it will always spiral down to a negative, toxic thread.
Its usually not that bad when Nintendo is failing though lol - it only gets really bad when they are successful. Part of the audience being able to tolerate Nintendo as long as they are the underdog and/or struggling.....which turns into straight up disgust when they are outperforming other systems.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The comment section on that video is a riot btw. Pretty similar to the stuff on the first few pages on here. 🤭

The real sad thing is there's people who understand the situation fully and are criticising the family saying they have no right to determine whether or not he can use Etika's name/image to sell Joycons.😬

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The real sad thing is there's people who understand the situation fully and are criticising the family saying they have no right to determine whether or not he can use Etika's name/image to sell Joycons.😬
Now you know that it wasn't about a billionaire company's control of their brand. Since now the family is greedy according to them, and I doubt they are rich.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh also this was posted on Reddit, a tweet from October:

Nintendo & their lawyers weren't even dicks about it.... I think he might have burnt that bridge now!

what the fuck is wrong with people
Now you know that it wasn't about a billionaire company's control of their brand. Since now the family is greedy according to them, and I doubt they are rich.

Not is copyright & trademarked fucked up but so is common decency apparently.