• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Could be a shitpost....or if you think about it, does anything else coming out this year have anything in common with Metroid? If they're not interested in Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, or even Bayonetta, then it is a dry year( as far as tentpole releases go).

So basically if they don't like Nintendo games? I would wonder why someone would buy a Switch in that case then. Prime 4 wasn't coming this year anyway.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starting from scratch, we could be talking about 4 or even 5 years from now. Is this actually a Switch game or are we looking at something cross-gen like Breath of the Wild? Maybe it won't make it to the Switch at all... that's a long ways out and the gaming market moves fast.

They had a barren 2018 with the exception of November/December's two (admittedly massive!) releases. This has been a theme that I'm less and less pleased with as a Nintendo gamer and it started all the way back with the N64...

Or it could take like 3-4 years and release on Switch which is a successful system not even 2 years old at this point.

You're being overly dramatic IMO. It's a Switch game.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Yeah it would be nice if they could have a Direct soon. Show more Yoshi, show Animal Crossing and maybe at least some teaser footage of the Pokemon this fall (imagine they'll have a full direct for that later on) and announce some new things like Mario Maker port or sequel coming this year.

Let's not hold our breath for Pokémon this year. We all remember that bringing Pokémon to a home console was tougher than we thought.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointing and one of the reasons why I dislike the early announcements in general, hype as they might be.

Good show for Nintendo to publicly announce this and happy to hear Retro is coming back to the series, their original trilogy is still one of the best. But man, disappointing for sure.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Metroid Prime 4 now launching when the next console gen is already underway?

giphy.gif
Do you have this notion that Switch games will become irrelevant once the new consoles drop?

They really wont.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When the dust finally settles about portability, I'm thinking in retrospect people might find the Switch library to be lacking. A bunch of Wii U ports from Nintendo and a bunch of third party ports from everyone else. At this rate, Odyssey is going to remain the single truly standout original title on the system.

Are you people for real?

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if restarting development means everything is getting thrown out, including art/engine. If so, the only reason I could think of that they'd can everything is if there were some kind of falling out with the original devs, because they could build a new game with the existing framework in 2 to 3 years.
Not really, it's actually fairly common when developers change. Usually it has to do with things like the overall vision changing, the tools of the new studio often being wildy different, the gameplay needs being different and thus often changing the very core of how assets are build etc. In the end avoiding sunk cost fallacy will most likely save a ton of money and headache for the new studio, and at most they can hopefully learn from the process that lead to this outcome.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guh. Glad I'm not a big metroid fan but still, this is crazy. I have a terrible feeling about this game now, it's gonna be bad no matter what. Bandai fucked it so now they're giving it to a company who for whatever reason haven't released a game in 5 years?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Could be a shitpost....or if you think about it, does anything else coming out this year have anything in common with Metroid? If they're not interested in Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, or even Bayonetta, then it is a dry year for them( as far as tentpole releases go).
Metroid was never announced to be 2019, so it been reboot is moot for the line up of 2019

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Very sad but honest to be doing this.

For me this reinforces the opinion that Nintendo really needs more western devs with high quality teams with retro, otherwise they being the only team able to handle games like Metroid will result in a low flow of first party games of this kind.

Hope retro is still good enough to handle this, but of course this will be released ver very late or already for Switch2.

I guess we will see another 2.5D metroid from mercury steam soon along with the trilogy.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I had to rub my eyes to make sure I was reading this right. Big respect to Nintendo for having the guts to do this, their standards truly are nothing but excellence.

While this is great that Retro is working on this, didn't most of the key people who worked on the prime series are long gone? Also why haven't they released a game since 2014? Bad sign.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Soooo Metroid Prime 4 will be cross-platform with Switch 2?? 😏

Seems they are taking this game very seriously to be giving us such an update as we rarely get "development status" updates for Nintendo's plagued titles. Where the hell is our Pikmin 4 update?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why he'd assume Retro's title would be cancelled if his last work on it was in August 2015, almost 4 years ago, which is in a completely reasonable window for a full production cycle.
Maybe it's canned, or maybe it's done.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
This is good news, but still really shocking. Glad Nintendo is being transparent and forward about this. The massive delay sucks, but now we know for sure the game is in good hands and Nintendo is taking quality control very seriously.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So is StarFox GP pretty much done then? Or was that rumour always bogus?
I don't think that the rumor was false at all (there was too much smoke there for it to be nothing). This only makes it more likely that the game (if real) is close enough to completion/release that Retro can move on to another project.

Nov 15, 2017
This makes me feel a direct is super imminent. If they went through the direct with no update on mp4, everyone would be asking where is it. Getting out right now before a direct and making people disappointed will hopefully become happy once they show the new games. If they gave this as an update after the direct, all the discussion would have been on the delay.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so much that can be done with Metroid. My mind tends to go crazy when I sit and daydream about it...

While you are at it... drop "Prime" from the title. Start anew.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yeah it would be nice if they could have a Direct soon. Show more Yoshi, show Animal Crossing and maybe at least some teaser footage of the Pokemon this fall (imagine they'll have a full direct for that later on) and announce some new things like Mario Maker port or sequel coming this year.

This news, rumors of an updated Switch Sku of some kind coming this year or next etc. probably has a lot of people thinking of selling for now if they're not stoked for Yoshi, AC or Pokemon. I'm not personally thinking of selling as I'm still playing Smash and just got NSMBU, and as I said above I know Nintendo consoles will have a lot of years I only buy 2 or 3 games given my tastes.

Honestly what should I do? I have the mario bundle switch with the red joycons, still have the box, and the switch has been used like 4 times. I just don't use it enough, and there are not enough games out that keep me on it or keep my attention. Especially since I have a PC/PS4PRO.

If they had a direct showing me some new stuff, like that new RPG from GAMEFREAK. I am not into yoshi, kirby anymore. I literally never finished MARIO ODYSSEY I thought i was going to go ham on it like I did Mario 64. But it didn't grab me like I thought it would honestly.

Should I at least wait until a direct to see what they have for the rest of the year?

I honestly am so conflicted because of this news.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen it is! I'm bummed like everyone else but I find the transparency really kind and respectful. It'll be worth it in the end, so I can wait.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Happy because it's retro studios.

Sad because it likely means it won't be out for at least another 3 years :/

Should have just used them from the start tbh, not sure why they didn't.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
why the hell as people saying "dry year" or "now I have nothing to play" cause 1 unannounced game got delayed? are you really that eager to shitpost?

It's not shit posting necessarily. Some people just don't have interest in the other games Nintendo has announced for this year so far and were holding out hope this would make it out.

If people say there are "no games" that's a shit post. If people say something like "it's now a dry year for me" or "now there are no announced games this year I want" is just stating their personal situation.

For me, 2019 is looking like a pretty slow year across all platforms for me. All or most of the stuff that's been announced that I'm truly excited for doesn't have firm dates yet--MP4, TLOU2, Death Stranding, Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc.

I don't really care as I have a small backlog to get through and things I haven't bought yet that I'd like to make time for, and some of that stuff may end up coming out this year and I'm sure there will be some surprise announcements. Switch will probably have another dry year for me, but it can't be much worse than 2018 where Smash was the only exclusive I enjoyed.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Guess it'll be a crossgen launch title for Switch 2.

Disappointed but at least we know. A little surprised BN failed this hard too, given how Smash turned out.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
This news feels so out of whack with the Nintendo of the Switch era. Will have to watch the video later but wow what a disappointment.

Best case scenario: Retro has been working on another game and will release it this year allowing them to transition to MP4 relatively comfortably and willingly.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
This is so unlike Nintendo that it's almost...bizarre.

Best of luck to Retro Studios. They are a talented group and I'm sure they can deliver a Metroid product that lives up the previous Prime games.

I guess one takeaway is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Maybe Nintendo should've never bothered MP4 without at least some level of Retro's involvement, even if the studio isn't the same as it was back in the 2000's.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly what should I do? I have the mario bundle switch with the red joycons, still have the box, and the switch has been used like 4 times. I just don't use it enough, and there are not enough games out that keep me on it or keep my attention. Especially since I have a PC/PS4PRO.

If they had a direct showing me some new stuff, like that new RPG from GAMEFREAK. I am not into yoshi, kirby anymore. I literally never finished MARIO ODYSSEY I thought i was going to go ham on it like I did Mario 64. But it didn't grab me like I thought it would honestly.

Should I at least wait until a direct to see what they have for the rest of the year?

I honestly am so conflicted because of this news.

these are the important questions

SK9000

Nov 15, 2017
Well shit, this just ruined my morning :(

At least it's good to know that Retro will be working on it, wonder what happened to the game they were working on though.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Gained a lot of major respect for Nintendo today (already had it but just further impressed me). It takes some guts and actual compassion for your project/work to do this. They also took the time to keep us, the gamer, informed and why it is taking so long.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
????...So "trilogy" will drop if that is even a thing and then prime 4 in 2023 on the new Switch console or whatever it will be called?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do you really profitable selling a console and then buy it again for a game or is it simple hyperbole?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I believe a new Direct is very close.

This news would have overshadowed the rest of the Direct so they're getting this news out of the way first and if the Direct had happened first without Metroid Prime 4 news then everyone would have been asking 'where's Metroid?'.
It definitely feel like pushing the bad news away before a Direct, I wonder when they'll reveal Star Fox Grand Prix, I think it's time and waiting E3 for a game releasing a few months later doesn't make sense. (A more in depth look does though)