• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

APP

Dec 1, 2018
Another Virtual Boy, apparently.
would be interested if there were starter pack for Labo 01-03.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
There are actually some pretty legit cardboard viewers. The Viewmaster one was made for kids in mind, but this one:

SCuEufl.jpg

is the one my niece and nephew have, that they like and use. With this type of setup, you can seriously get very close to what the DK1 was, especially with modern phones.

The main problem with this kit will be the weight. The Switch is just too heavy to use with an actual head strap, these viewers will always have to be handheld, which will slightly limit the utility. A game like Rez Infinite, however, is totally doable on such a system.

Judging from the announced "modes", though, this sounds remarkably similar to the Cardboard demo app that comes with the Cardboard SDK download. When you first use cardboard for the very first time, it takes you a on a virtual safari.
Yeah i've tried google cardboard and about 3 other mobile vr headsets. I never put them on again after my first try. All were so heavy with my phone that my nose bridges started paining after a few min.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
$40 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be terrible VR even compared to Google Cardboard or other cheap options. I had an original Oculus Rift devkit, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing VR is with a 720p screen and no motion tracking... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the old Rift was relatively light and comfortable compared to some cardboard monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that this will be some people's first VR experience. VR is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Rift recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for VR and strap lenses to them, the results are predictable.

$300 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be a terrible console even compared to Xbox One S or other cheap options. I had an original Playstation 4, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing console gaming is with a 1080p screen and low framerate... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the original Playstation 4 was relatively strong and affordable compared to some handheld monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that the Nintendo Switch will be some people's first console gaming experience. Console gaming is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Playstation 4 Pro recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for console gaming and strap a dock to them, the results are predictable.

___

I hope you can see how silly the argument you are making is now.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I can read the NPD report already.
VR experienced record breaking unit sales growth, due to Nintendo VR.

In other news, tiny community still has elitists that want to keep their hobby "pure".

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cool, nintendo can finally sayt "here, we tried vr investors, now shut up!"

Aiming vr to kids, are you sure nitnendo? didn't the 3DS headhakes were enough?

Lets just hope the virtual boy games and 3ds games are now compatible.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
$300 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be a terrible console even compared to Xbox One S or other cheap options. I had an original Playstation 4, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing console gaming is with a 1080p screen and low framerate... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the original Playstation 4 was relatively strong and affordable compared to some handheld monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that the Nintendo Switch will be some people's first console gaming experience. Console gaming is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Playstation 4 Pro recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for console gaming and strap a dock to them, the results are predictable.

___

I hope you can see how silly the argument you are making is now.
$250 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be a terrible graphics card compared to a 1060ti or other cheap options. I had an original 390, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious & nausea-enducing PC gaming is at 1080p & low settings... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the 390 was relatively strong and affordable compared to some mobile computer.

I shudder at the fact that the AMD Radeon 590 will be some people's first PC gaming experience. PC gaming is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is top-tier. I tried the latest offering from Nvidia which is the 2080ti recently and it was mindblwoing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for PC gaming and strap a fancy number on it, the results are predictable.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
$250 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be a terrible graphics card compared to a 1060ti or other cheap options. I had an original 390, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious & nausea-enducing PC gaming is at 1080p & low settings... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the 390 was relatively strong and affordable compared to some mobile computer.

I shudder at the fact that the AMD Radeon 590 will be some people's first PC gaming experience. PC gaming is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is top-tier. I tried the latest offering from Nvidia which is the 2080ti recently and it was mindblwoing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for PC gaming and strap a fancy number on it, the results are predictable.

Is this going to be the next "Japanese Culture" pasta ?

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
$40 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be terrible VR even compared to Google Cardboard or other cheap options. I had an original Oculus Rift devkit, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing VR is with a 720p screen and no motion tracking... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the old Rift was relatively light and comfortable compared to some cardboard monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that this will be some people's first VR experience. VR is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Rift recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for VR and strap lenses to them, the results are predictable.
We know Nintendo charges a lot, that's how they've always done it.

This is not intended to be a state-of-the-art VR experience. This is an extension of Labo, for kids and adults who want to build stuff with cardboard and have fun.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Looks awesome but I wonder how many parents will get this, Nintendo even told kids to avoid the 3D years ago

Feb 10, 2018
This is a labo toy, not a serious forray into the VR market.
While Google cardboard was not good at 720p, if Nintendo Taylor make experiences with a high framerate, it could be a fun product. Especially when it is combined with the switches other abilities + Nintendos creativity.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
the games look cool that super mario jump one. any idea which one the bird is for?

oh my and that trailer is a fan concept...
wow they really need to show the software.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
TIL there are VR elitists.
At this point, I feel like the VR elitism is tame and has simmered down compared to a couple years ago when the VR hype was reaching a fever pitch.

Even suggesting that VR on the Switch/NX could be possible would have people scoffing and jumping down my throat about how stupid and impossible that was. Attempting to discuss the merits of mobile VR gaming experiences and what it's mainstream exposure could mean for VR wasn't something people wanted to think about, as if the reality of VR was clashing with their dreams of achieving the bleeding edge VR Holodeck experience in a year or two.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I can read the NPD report already.
VR experienced record breaking unit sales growth, due to Nintendo VR.

In other news, tiny community still has elitists that want to keep their hobby "pure".

More like "Labo continues to disappoint despite Nintendo fans insistence that kids love it."

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Day 1. I'm really stoked for this. And while I commend Sony for their VR efforts, I am happy to think that Nintendo is throwing their influence and signature creativity behind a virtual reality effort. Switch has been a monumental success in application, I'd love to see Nintendo shift gaming culture again.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the blaster one is shooting aliens and the camera one sounds a little like Endless Ocean.

I'm more interested in how it will be implemented in already released software. Mario Kart will surely be there, I wonder what else

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
LOL at the people worrying about resolution and the Switch's power. This has nothing to do with your usual VR gaming, and it's pretty safe to think that if Nintendo get a product to the market, it's because it works and they think it's good enough. They know the internet would have a field day if a kid gets sick playing this.

Also, it will be glorious when they announce Virtual Boy Wario Land for Switch and it's revealed that you need the Labo VR kit to play it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Wow, going from the OP to the posts after it... I expected better from this board, hah.
People being upset at a weird Labo thing in 2019. First page makes it look like Nintendo was teasing a new Zelda game and announced this instead.
My nephew fucking adored building the Labo sets. He and his mom are visiting mid-april for a few days. This will be super fun.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Oh this is fun! I want to try one!

$4 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be terrible a terrible meal even compared to the Olive Garden or other cheap options. I once had a flame broiled Whopper, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing fast food is with a soggy fries and no bacon... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the Whopper was relatively light and tasty compared to some cardboard-boxed monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that McDonalds will be some people's first restaurant experience. Cooking is genuinely incredible so long as all the ingredients are high quality and locally sourced.. I tried the avocado toast recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take 2 all-beef patties that weren't meant for steak and strap special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, and a sesame-seed bun to them, the results are predictable.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
One of those looks like a camera. Would be cool to see Breath of the Wild updated to support that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok.

First, this will be shit tier VR. Sub gear VR1, possibly sub cardboard.

Second, I'm buying at least the basic set day one just to see what Nintendo does with it

I might also buy the expansions - these are the things I'm most curious about - to see how Nintendo is approaching user input in a virtual world.

Still shit though :p

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, there's no way Nintendo is releasing a product without testing it first. They're probably minigames that don't require much power. Using it with already released games is something different tho, I can't see that happening yet. Maybe with a new Switch later this year with better resolution?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Ok.

First, this will be shit tier VR. Sub gear VR1, possibly sub cardboard.

Second, I'm buying at least the basic set day one just to see what Nintendo does with it

If the VRndiesnt make me physically sick I might also buy the expansions - these are the things I'm most curious about - to see how Nintendo is approaching user input in a virtual world.

Still shit though :p

IMO, this is VR in the same way that the Labo Robot is a robot or the Labo Car is a car. The experience with Labo is in building the stuff and then test the thing you built.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's no way Nintendo is releasing a product without testing it first. They're probably minigames that don't require much power. Using it with already released games is something different tho, I can't see that happening yet. Maybe with a new Switch later this year with better resolution?
i can see one or two already released games to be updated to include some small mode or mini game that supports labo vr, but people expecting something crazy like playing through breath of the wild in vr are going to be disappointed.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I'm guessing this is targeting a younger age group rather than most people here. It's still not going to make me buy any labo kits but I don't see the problem with this.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Yep and it's extraordinarily weird that there are people thinking otherwise and acting like VR "elitists".

OOF.

Don't think it's worth your money? don't buy it.
I'm guessing this is targeting a younger age group rather than most people here. It's still not going to make me buy any labo kits but I don't see the problem with this.
From the very minute Nintendo announced Labo, they made it clear it was made for kids, but adults can have some fun too. A lot of people here at Era went ballistic, acting Nintendo were gonna be casual again, like in the Wii days. Never change people. Shit on everything, just because you don't like it...the toxicity is killing this place, smh.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm happy this is just a little side experiment, and not Nintendo wasting development and resources into full fledged VR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are overstating this resolution aspect. I played vr when the res was around 430p and had a blast as a kid.

Holding it with your hands is what is going to sour the experience.

Hmm - can't remember my first cardboard - maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

Nintendo seems to have at least tried to integrate the accessories into the 'hold the switch' aspect - hold the elephants trunk, hold the birds ass to your face etc